Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,158 members, 7,835,871 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA (645 Views)

Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA / Photos Of Rescued Girls, Women From Sambisa Forest By The Nigerian Military / APC Wins 214 House Of Reps’ Seats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA by NewsINigeria(m): 9:08am On May 04, 2015
[img]http://www..com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2014-300x182.jpg[/img]

Boko Haram: 214 rescued girls pregnant – UNFPA

the latest rescue of additional 234 women and children by the Nigerian Army from the Sambisa Forest in Borno State, indicated, yesterday, that a sizeable number of the rescued girls were visibly pregnant, even as unofficial reports put the latest number of pregnant girls in one of the camps in Borno as at last Saturday at 214.

Giving this indication in Lagos, Executive Director, UNFPA, Prof. Babatunde Osotimehin, also disclosed that in the last one year, the organization had taken deliveries of over 16,000 pregnancies in the troubled North East part of the country.

Osotimehin, while giving update of the response to the rehabilitation of the rescued women and children, said the organization, in anticipation of the magnitude of the problem on hand, had put in place a formidable team in collaboration with the Federal and state governments, to first restore the dignity of the girls, who, he said, are facing severe psychosocial trauma.

On the state of the girls, he explained that most of them, due to the long period spent in captivity, required a special set of services that would facilitate their integration into society.

“What we found is that some of the women and girls that have come back actually have much more in terms of the stress they have faced, so the counselling has to be more intense and working with them one-on-one.
“I’m glad the communities are not excommunicating them and are taking them back. That is an important therapy too. We anticipate this is going to escalate because the military intervention is continuing, we find that more people are now needing our services and we will continue,” he stated.

Further, he explained that the UNFPA had earlier collaborated with the Federal and state governments to train 60 counsellors to offer psychosocial services to the affected women and children. He noted that those trained were people from the communities, who understand the context and sociology of the people.

“UNFPA is providing dignity for women. In conflict and disasters, most people would only think of water and sanitation, provision of tents and housing, and food, which are all important. But women and girls have specific needs that nobody else looks after; it is only UNFPA that is doing this. We are giving psychosocial counselling.
“Beyond that, in the growing young people, we will always have pregnant women, but nobody segregates the needs of the pregnant women which are very important and different from the needs of the average community. We look after them, and ensure they get antenatal care and that they deliver properly and that they even get Caesarean Section when necessary.

Read more>>> http://www.justyouchat.com/214-rescued-girls-pregnant-unfpa/
Re: Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA by saintgp(m): 9:20am On May 04, 2015
So this Islamic militants were ready to form their own country with girls dey kidnapped....republic of sambisa...just envisaging how that would ve sounded...

Is this also part of their Islamic struggle?i mean y ruin d future of this innocent girls.just hope gen.buhari will b able to rehabilitate this girls,something similar to almajiri school will b appreciated i must say...
Re: Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA by Nobody: 9:22am On May 04, 2015
And wen I say I s l a m dem go say I too dhe talk
I hate "change"
Re: Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA by mathew9999(m): 9:24am On May 04, 2015
pls God do something,they called there self religious
Re: Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA by Nobody: 9:26am On May 04, 2015
Lol @ FTC...."Republic of Sambisa"

Well, the victims need counselling and an arrangement similar to Almajiri School should be established for them. Nice one Oremussanctus
Re: Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA by tayebest(m): 9:31am On May 04, 2015
saintgp:
So this Islamic militants were ready to form their own country with girls dey kidnapped....republic of sambisa...just envisaging how that would ve sounded...

Is this also part of their Islamic struggle?i mean y ruin d future of this innocent girls.just hope gen.buhari will b able to rehabilitate this girls,something similar to almajiri school will b appreciated i must say...
fooll... What has religion got with this? Oponu oshii
Re: Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA by Noloss(f): 9:54am On May 04, 2015
Hahahahaha! What a pity! Lord pls have mercy
Re: Boko Haram: 214 Rescued Girls Pregnant – UNFPA by saintgp(m): 11:30am On May 04, 2015
tayebest:
fooll... What has religion got with this? Oponu oshii
its a fool that see others as fools.if u weren't a fool u should ve been able to fathom that i wasn't in any way attributing this ugly act to religion.learn to read btw d lines ok.

(1) (Reply)

‘change Can’t Happen Overnight,’ Muhammadu Buhari Says / President Jonathan Saw Through The Traps Laid Out For Him-reuben Abati / Meet D Nigerian Team At The Shel Eco-marathon Starting Today In Netherlands.Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.