Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,265 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria (59304 Views)

The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? / How To Start Snail Farming In Nigeria With Little Capital! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Goshen360(m): 11:52pm On Sep 10, 2006
Hey guys,

i guess i have read alot of people wanting to know how possible it is to start rearing grasscutter as a pet or as commercial farming buziness. its real

1 Like

Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Seun(m): 7:27am On Sep 11, 2006
How can we become grasscutter farmers? Please educate us, my brother, so we can make money!
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by mrmayor(m): 3:13pm On Sep 11, 2006
I'm most definitely interested in Grasscutter farming,please give more information.

1 Like

Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Goshen360(m): 9:13pm On Sep 12, 2006
Hi friends in nairaland,

Grasscutter farming is real as i said because am a big time committed farmer having my large scale farm in badagry, lagos state. Grasscutter farming is quite capital intensive in terms of housing. However, for one 2 start rearing grasscutter,

1st, an intending entrepreneur has to undergo a training programme either of a one-day or a one week. The training programme will cover range of topics such as housing construction,feed n feedings, management, reproduction, etc. Ours is a practical farm site training programs with intensive hands on practical. We do not offer grasscutter farming lectures in hotel environments that is void of intensive n real farming idea. We r not just interested in making money but more importantly, rendering quality services that last forever in the heart of men.

After the training programme, the entrepreneur is expected 2 put up the housing system for the animals.

Thereafter, the intending beeder gets the breeding stocks per families. A family or colony of Grasscutter consist of 4 females and 1 male which cost  the sum of 30,000 - 35,000 naira depending on age n size. So an intending breeder can decide to buy as many families as possible for startup.

The animals at 1st year circle litters/reproduce once but from the second year circle, they can litter 2ce a year and can litter up 1 to 10 litters with average of 4.

In marketting, you can sell to other intending breeders when the young ones are 3months old at prevailing market price. Also, u can sell the matured ones to individuals, hoteliers, etc

Further enquiries can be forwarded to me on this post in nairaland or you can contact me on Goshen360@Yahoo.co.uk, Goshen360@hotmail.com and 08035386860, 08033297269, 08022656570. Also, you can visit our farm located at 5/6 Gabriel Olaifa street, Ibereko, badagry, (by state high school or lowcost bus stop, behind javy business center), Lagos state, Nigeria, West Africa for practical convictions.

Thanks
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by twinkledew(f): 2:32pm On Sep 13, 2006
Do people eat it for real
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by adetunrayo(f): 5:01pm On Sep 13, 2006
What animal is that?can u pls tell me d yoruba name.
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Seun(m): 5:49pm On Sep 13, 2006
It may be the same as the giant "rat" we call "asin". I think they call it "bush meat": grin

[img]http://www.ghanaweb.biz.nyud.net:8090/GHP/img/pics/news/69217227.gallery.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.zoologicalimports.com.nyud.net:8090/pics/mammals/canerat.jpg[/img]
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 7:12pm On Sep 13, 2006
They call it nchii in ibo language. But the cost of learning and rearing it as given by that guy is very expensive.
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Goshen360(m): 7:32am On Sep 15, 2006
Hi guys @ nairaland,

I like to let u know that Grasscutter farming is no child's play business, what ever u invest in terms of training cost, getting the breeding stocks etc will be a gain in the nearest future cos u too will definitely train any intending breeder.

Ewuju/Oya as it it called in yoruba, Nchii as called in igbo and jawji as called in hausa is a bushmeat delicacy that used to be available in the meal of our forefathers but no longer available to us due to aggressive hunting, bush burning etc, The solution to this plague is to domesticate Grasscutter and get good returns from it.

I will like to inform fellow nairaland that, our farm site can be visited for conviction. We are not sub-sellers as some pple do. We are real big time Grasscutter farmer with a large farm.

Thanks
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by adetunrayo(f): 3:25pm On Sep 15, 2006
Thanks i know.
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Christino(m): 5:20pm On Sep 20, 2006
Oya!

Ol' boy, that guy is a mad man in egusi soup + Pounded Yam. Kai, but what about the mortality rate. Can those guys survive in captivity/isolation? I remember how my rabbits ended up in some mallams' throats, they died and I couldn't cry.

cry cry cry
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by nico(m): 5:56pm On Sep 20, 2006
shocked U mean people actually eat Rats
That animal in the picture looks like my pet, Bobby, When I was 8
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by nico(m): 8:59pm On Sep 20, 2006
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:35pm On Sep 20, 2006
goshen360:

Thereafter, the intending beeder gets the breeding stocks per families. A family of Grasscutter consist of 4 females and 1 male which cost the sum of 20000. So an intending breeder can decide to buy as many families as possible for startup.

This Your Price is too expensive,
How can expect to make a profit when the retaile value of 1 "bush rat" is 1000 =N= or there about, ?

Christino:

Oya!

Ol' boy, that guy is a mad man in egusi soup + Pounded Yam. Kai, but what about the mortality rate. Can those guys survive in captivity/isolation? I remember how my rabbits ended up in some mallams' throats, they died and I couldn't cry.

cry cry cry
Why do people on Nairaland always make ethnically racist innuendos? Why beat around the bush, ? Like you dont know that all Nigerians EAT bush meat ! tchei!
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by zebudaya(m): 2:55pm On Sep 21, 2006
goshen360:

Hi friends in nairaland,

Thereafter, the intending beeder gets the breeding stocks per families. A family of Grasscutter consist of 4 females and 1 male which cost the sum of 20000. So an intending breeder can decide to buy as many families as possible for startup.

The animals at 1st year circle litters/reproduce once but from the second year circle, they can litter 2ce a year and can litter up 1 to 10 litters with average of 4.

In marketting, you can sell to other intending breeders when the young ones are 3months old at prevailing cost price. Also, u can sell the matured ones to individuals, hoteliers, etc

Further enquiries can be forwarded to me on this post in nairaland , i will be pleased to reply.

Thanks

Hey goshen If i buy 4 females and 1male and they have kids, should i let the kids mate or would it lead to inbreeding and thus weak offspring?
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by twinkledew(f): 3:53pm On Sep 21, 2006
@ Christino
i dont eat that thing and i never knew people eat them. And if you want to know i am Nigerian.
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by twinkledew(f): 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2006
that pic is scary
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Christino(m): 4:46pm On Sep 21, 2006
I eat bushmeat (Grasscutter or Oya) but I don't eat "Pets" like Rabbits or Cats, or dogs but Some Nigerians do!
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:20pm On Sep 21, 2006
Christino what do you mean by "Pets"?
People dont eat pets man, dog meat that is meant for consumption is reared same with Rabbits

And eating cats shocked thats just plain nasty undecided
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Christino(m): 7:26pm On Sep 21, 2006
If you eat what I consider to be a "Pet" I could see you as a cannibal. Some people keep fishes as pet - I eat them. Some keep Cows as Pets - I eat them. I keep dogs as pet - You eat them, so you see? Pet in quotes.

So what's disgusting to you, is food to the next man. No discrimination.
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:30pm On Sep 21, 2006
Cannibal?
Please further explain how you consider someone who eats a "pet" a Cannibal, Not that i do eat pets

Yes they keep them as "pets", but they do not eat there pets.
Im not familiar with too many people who consume domesticated animals
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by ishmael(m): 11:42am On Sep 22, 2006
Hey, nigerians eat both domestic and wild animals(if you like call them pets). goat, cow, ram, dog, chicken, snake, rabbit, cat, monkey, baboon, gorilla, lion, elephant etc, name them, the list is very wrong. Is there anything wrong in eating animals?? Afterall God said to peter in the Bible; take, kill and eat; all the animals were there o remember. So my people what you consider as meat of food to you could be poison to me or another mian and vice versa. And cannibalism should be directed to humans who feed on human flesh and not those who eat animals you consider to be pets.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by wande(m): 5:40pm On Sep 22, 2006
let me have your contact or e-mail address.
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:11pm On Sep 22, 2006
Funny enough, I don't think I've met anyone who eats these grasscutters!
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Christino(m): 6:44pm On Sep 22, 2006
I do. I still had one 3 weeks ago when my old woman travelled to Ife. grin E sweet die.

"Cannibal" in the sense that I disagree with you eating my "Pet". If you kill a "sacred" animal, the people around are bound to call you names including that.

Domesticated animals include chickens, puppies, kittens, pigeons, and turkeys and different people eat different "pets"

I don't eat dogs, cats, amphibians and reptiles but I eat snails.
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by OldGlory1(m): 10:50pm On Sep 22, 2006
Necessity is really the mother of inventions. Bushmeat for profit. Wow now that is some idea.
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 10:57pm On Sep 22, 2006
Christino how can classify a chicken a domesticated animal?
When it gets sick do you then take it to the vet?
Do you play with it and let it inside your house like dogs or cats?
Do you call he/she by a proper name?
If you owned a flock of chickens would you be able to differentiate all of them?
Though there is no proper definition for a "pet", I think there should be a measure of standard between those that come close and those that lack they proper characteristics.

P.S. You EAT Snails lipsrsealed, So does my GF yuck tongue
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by zebudaya(m): 2:36am On Sep 23, 2006
Goshen360 you started the thread and you are not responding to questions, You said you would respond I have waited patiently for 48 hours angry angry angry angry
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Goshen360(m): 12:13am On Sep 24, 2006
hey guys,

sorry for my late reply, just that i have been a bit busy with some activities. concerning Grasscutter breeding, u dont mate animals of the same gene 2gether it leads to inbreeding as someone said. moreso, seun said he has not seen pple eating grasscutter, funny! its the most popular bush meat delicacy that is mostly required dis days.

thanks
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 12:16am On Sep 24, 2006
can you tell me why your prices you mentioned are so expensive
fine the training sounds reasonable, but the price for the actual animal is too much,
Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Goshen360(m): 12:22am On Sep 24, 2006
what u dont know how to do, u cant suceed doing it . grasscutters can successfully survive in captivity when bred under a close confirnment system. its more lucrative 2 rear grasscutter than rabbit or snail or rabbit but u have 2 be patient . my contact : PAVEMGO GRASSCUTTER FARM, IBEREKO, BADAGRY, LAGOS STATE, NIGERIA. 08033297269.

2 Likes

Re: Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria by Goshen360(m): 12:28am On Sep 24, 2006
pple have to learn the trade before stepping into the business for real, that's for d training. As for the price, u are the one that feels its high in price, and that's even the least u can get a family/colony of 4females + 1male. what u stand to get from their reproduction tends to pay u off their cost price. moreso, we are going by the current market price as at today in nigeria.

thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Name Of This Strange Looking Fruit / Somebody Poisoned Our Farm. / 40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.