Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. (1298 Views)

Tam David-West To Soyinka: Cut Your Green Card, Keep To Your Word / Omokri To Soyinka: Think Twice Before Tearing Your US Green Card / Thecable Apologises To Soyinka Over ‘Igbo’ Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. by blank(f): 3:33am On May 07, 2015
The management of Cable Newspaper Ltd, publishers of TheCable, would like to make the following statement concerning our report on the lecture by Professor Wole Soyinka at the Harvard University Hutchins Centre for African & African American Research. Soyinka was quoted to have made derogatory remarks about the Igbo over their voting pattern in the March 28 presidential election. He has since denied the offensive quotes attributed to him. After an in-house investigation, we have come to the conclusion that the story misrepresented the views expressed by Soyinka in the question-and-answer session after his lecture. We take full responsibility for the inaccuracy and promise that we will continue to strive to improve our standards. Also, we wish to reiterate that we take our professional responsibilities very seriously, as our readers can attest to. We hereby offer an unreserved apology to Soyinka, Ndigbo and our readers.

Signed: Management of Cable Newspaper Ltd

Source: http://www.thecable.ng/thecable-apologises-soyinka-igbo-story

I guess this vindicates Soyinka. However, i am interested in knowing what he said at the Q&A session.
Re: TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. by megacity: 3:35am On May 07, 2015
that's better. I would have been surprised if the respected Prof had said those things about my Ibo people who have been the unsung heroes of Buhari's victory.

The story has not been told enough of how that many Ibos in SE APC put their blood on the line to stop PDP from writing the type of result they wrote for Rivers State for SE

The story needs to be told that whereas SE gave Jonathan about seven million votes in 2011, he only got about two million this time around ; and had SE APC allowed PDP to write seven million votes for Jonathan again, the 'clueless' man would have returned elected!
Re: TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. by oliidell(m): 3:59am On May 07, 2015
An apology is not enough. Soyinka shud take legal action if he intends to dissociate himself totally with those statements. That article defamed his character and fetched him plenty of negative comments.

'Professional responsibility very seriously indeed' Nobody got fired for grossly misquoting one of the soundest minds this country has produced...just some half-hearted apology and back to business.

Rubbish!

1 Like

Re: TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. by worthytalk: 6:22am On May 07, 2015
I am not surprise TheCable defending one of their own. Had it been an Igbo man made such reckless statement thecable would've asked him to go to court. But here they are apologizing.
Re: TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. by worthytalk: 6:24am On May 07, 2015
I am not surprise TheCable defending one of their own. Had it been an Igbo man made such reckless statement thecable would've asked him to go to court. But here they are apologizing for a comment deliberately made by a hater of Igbo.
Re: TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. by hassan85(m): 6:30am On May 07, 2015
TheCable have always bn pro igbo and pro pdp. Its a fact. My problem with igbo community is dt, de always comment ds days b4 de research. Ok, here during election dia leaders nd pdp were using dia brains. Nw after dia hates, those same leaders are all at GMBs door steps. Yet ibos keep hating online and in dia hearts. Hate kills nothing more. what has hate ever profitd a man? NOTHING. U see thecable just use igbo worriors brain once again.
Re: TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. by makazona(m): 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2015
Apology accepted.
Re: TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. by babyfaceafrica: 10:52pm On Nov 15, 2015
Soyinka should sue their ass...incompetent Nigeria tabloid should be taught a lesson.....defaming someone character to sell a story..anuofia
Re: TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. by Pheals(f): 5:56pm On Dec 15, 2015
Journalism is now crazy..... no more real stories.. so where should we Read news now!! Sahara reporters also apologize on fake stories shit. ....kudos to the real journalist out there
Re: TheCable apologises to Soyinka over ‘Igbo’ story. by Pearlygates: 6:49pm On Dec 15, 2015
hassan85:
TheCable have always bn pro igbo and pro pdp. Its a fact. My problem with igbo community is dt, de always comment ds days b4 de research. Ok, here during election dia leaders nd pdp were using dia brains. Nw after dia hates, those same leaders are all at GMBs door steps. Yet ibos keep hating online and in dia hearts. Hate kills nothing more. what has hate ever profitd a man? NOTHING. U see thecable just use igbo worriors brain once again.

My friend i found it had to understand all these hates against the Igbos, you killed them during the civil war, killed and destroyed their properties several times in the north, swore that they will never rule, blockd them from formin their own country. And still yet, you not satisfied

(1) (Reply)

Senate Presidency: North Central APC Chairmen Endorse @bukolasaraki / Grand House Reception For GEJ Live On AIT Now! / Tinubu Is Really A Good Leader.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.