Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,697 members, 7,820,432 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Defining "Islamophobia" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Defining "Islamophobia" (1058 Views)

What Is Islamophobia? / Islamophobia And The Hypocrisy Of Christianity / While Christians Like Plappville Annunaki Olaadegbu Spread Islamophobia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Defining "Islamophobia" by Nobody: 7:55pm On May 07, 2015
According to UC Berkeley --

The term "Islamophobia" was first introduced as a concept in a 1991 Runnymede Trust Report and defined as "unfounded hostility towards Muslims, and therefore fear or dislike of all or most Muslims." The term was coined in the context of Muslims in the UK in particular and Europe in general, and formulated based on the more common "xenophobia" framework.

Nowadays, it is commonly defined as the dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force and some scholars have also defined it as a type of racism.

With this broad definition it is easy to term someone who simply criticizes the doctrines of Islam as an 'islamophobe' and hence a racist/bigot.

Fortunately, there are more (informal) definitions which are actually more practical, such as -

Fear of Islam or Muslims. In practice, it is used by politically correct leftists and ultra-sensitive Muslims to silence any criticism of Islamic brutality, misogyny, antisemitism, homophobia, etc. The inference is that criticism of Islam is a mental disorder and that anyone who criticizes the more extreme aspects of Islam must hate all Muslims. In reality, almost nobody hates all Muslims. We have no problem with the Islam where people just practice their religion.

The fear of mentioning Islam (or variations thereof), either due to political correctness or intimidation.

And this definition of 'islamophobe' -

A non-Muslim who knows more than they are supposed to know about Islam.
Islamophobia is an allegedly irrational fear of losing life or liberty to Islamic rule merely because the laws, sacred texts, and traditional practices of Islam demand the submission of culture, politics, religion and all social expression. It tends to afflict those most familiar with the religion while sparing the more gullible.

-Urban Dictionary

It is also worth mentioning the annual Islamophobia Awards held by the Islamic Human Rights Commission(IHRC) which took place in March and awarded Charlie Hebdo with the international award for "racist journalism".
Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jun 04, 2015
Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by vedaxcool(m): 4:44pm On Jun 04, 2015
A lot of Islamophobes are in denial of their state hence to make it clear to such people, there are certain signs that would easily make any islamophobes know his conditions and seek adequate help.

So what is Islamophobia?

The meaning of “Islamophobia” is every bit as clear as “anti-semitism” or “racism” or “sexism” and all sorts of familiar, related concepts. It signifies (1) irrational condemnations of all members of a group or the group itself based on the bad acts of specific individuals in that group; (2) a disproportionate fixation on that group for sins committed at least to an equal extent by many other groups, especially one’s own; and/or (3) sweeping claims about the members of that group unjustified by their actual individual acts and beliefs

1. The Islamophobe likes to speak on behalf of Muslims, and appoints himself judge, jury, and even executioner.

2. If the veil is a choice (as most French Muslim women say it is) and not a religious obligation, then the French government can restrict it: French Muslims shouldn’t object to not being allowed to practice a choice. But, Agrama went on, if the veil is a religious obligation, it must have been imposed coercively and must be banned by the secular state. Islamophobes tend to prefer the latter. They assume that Muslims must do whatever the Qur’an or the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) tells them to. They also assume Muslims stopped using their brains,

3. Only a puny minority of Muslims acts in a violent manner, while the huge majority does not. Khan (a Muslim) argued that her parents stressed tolerance as an Islamic value; Hirsi Ali (a non-muslim) responded that while that was very nice, it wasn’t Islam. Islam has one interpretation: theirs. Which happens to be—by chance, of course—the same interpretation extremists offer. Were Islamophobes Muslim, they would be the Muslims they warn us about. Islam can only be understood on their terms, they say. And their terms are violent and intemperate.

4. Radicals twist texts to justify despicable ends. Usually they can do this because, like Islamophobes, they have only a cursory familiarity with Islam. Within a few decades of Muhammad’s death (in 632 A.D.), Islam’s first extremists emerged: the ‘Khawarij,’ or secessionists. They went to war with Muhammad’s (SAW) cousin and son-in-law Ali, the first Shi’a Imam and fourth Sunni Caliph, and eventually assassinated him. An extremism so self-righteousness that it did not stop to wonder what kind of “understanding” of Islam would bring it to war with the Prophet’s (SAW) flesh and blood

5. Many Islamophobes desperately want to be engaged, because such engagement promises credibility. But before the debate begins, they dismiss the terms around which it might be structured. You cannot productively engage someone whose mind is already made up.

6. ‘I don’t hate Muslims, I hate Islam’. One cannot insist on innocuous analysis when one’s last chapter is ‘yes, Islam is evil, but Muslims are not.’ So I don’t get how you can hate a religion while loving its followers, especially since a religion is in so many ways who its followers are and what they do

7. The Islamophobe desperately needs us to believe Islam is utterly unlike us, but simultaneously like us. Because America is a country, Islam must be a country, too. If “they” attacked our capital on 9/11, we should attack “their” capital, which somehow becomes Mecca.
And this takes on more pernicious forms of reasoning. While condemning Islam for being allergic to secularism (creeping Shari’ah and all that), ostensibly Christian Islamophobes actively work for the Christianization of American politics and law. They see no contradiction in this. Newt Gingrich, who suggested during the controversy that there should not be a mosque near Ground Zero unless and until there was a church in Mecca. Gingrich associates America with a church, as opposed to say democracy; he wants a symbol of Christianity (read, America) in Mecca.

8. They refuse to admit to any kind of bias against Islam or Muslims because that bias is the ground they stand on. And to claim there is no such thing as bias against Islam or Muslims when, in the past decades, such bias has led to the deaths of tens of thousands in Bosnia, Kosovo, and the Caucasus, leaves me dumbfounded. In Bosnia, tens of thousands of Muslim women were Molested and well over one hundred thousand killed, in an attempt at ethnically cleansing that country to make way for a ‘Greater Serbia Radical Serbs ethnically cleansed many Croat areas of Croatia and Bosnia—for being Catholic and also because these Catholics lived in places those Orthodox Serbs wanted. It is a mark of how skewed our discourse has become that we do not call these radical Serbs “Christian fundamentalists” or “Christian terrorists,” although they justified much of what they did in the name of Christendom, against a conjured “Turkish” enemy.

https://www.nairaland.com/1264396/8-telling-signs-suffer-islamophobia
Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jun 04, 2015
vedaxcool why spam my thread?
Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by vedaxcool(m): 5:05pm On Jun 04, 2015
DProDG:
vedaxcool why spam my thread?

Sorry I didn't know you thread is another north korea, where dissenting views are not allowed please forgive cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jun 04, 2015
vedaxcool:
Sorry I didn't know you thread is another north korea, where dissenting views are not allowed please forgive cry cry cry

Never said you shouldn't share your views, just, the block of text copied from your own thread wasn't necessary to do so. A few lines then perhaps the link would have done a much better job.
Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by wiegraf: 6:35pm On Jun 04, 2015
I've always wondered how the fear of folk that actively seek to rob you of your rights is classified as irrational.

It's like saying you're slaverophobic

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by parisbookaddict(f): 6:56pm On Jun 04, 2015
vedaxcool:
A lot of Islamophobes are in denial of their state hence to make it clear to such people, there are certain signs that would easily make any islamophobes know his conditions and seek adequate help.

So what is Islamophobia?

The meaning of “Islamophobia” is every bit as clear as “anti-semitism” or “racism” or “sexism” and all sorts of familiar, related concepts. It signifies (1) irrational condemnations of all members of a group or the group itself based on the bad acts of specific individuals in that group; (2) a disproportionate fixation on that group for sins committed at least to an equal extent by many other groups, especially one’s own; and/or (3) sweeping claims about the members of that group unjustified by their actual individual acts and beliefs

https://www.nairaland.com/1264396/8-telling-signs-suffer-islamophobia

why I am an "islamophobe" by ifeann

Shalom and Greetings to the kaffirs; christain, Jews and atheist,
And Salam alaykum to the muslims,

I have a confession,

Yes, it is true, I can be called an islamophobe and u won't be far from the truth. Let me make it clear that I love Muslims as Christ commands me to love. Love and bless those who curse you, spite and persecute you, those who consider you their enemy (Mathew5:44, Luke 6:27) and islamophobe is NOT the hate of Islam or Muslims.

Islamophobe (is-slahm-o-fohb) - A non-Muslim who knows more than they are supposed to know about Islam.

Yes, I decided to start studying Islam to know why, for 14 centuries, the religion has inspired so much muslim extremists to cause mayhem and destruction ever since mohammed's alledged encounter with an entity alone in a dark cave..I was also interested to know more about the great Schism of Islam, why so many people abandoned Islam when the prophet died and why Muslims killed their prophets grandkids. These were some of the questions that I needed answers for.

Islamophobia is allegedly a fear of losing life or liberty to Islamic rule merely because the laws, sacred texts, and traditional practices of Islam demand the submission of culture, politics, religion and all social expression.

The use of the word fear above does not mean that every "islamophobe" is afraid. "islamphobes" like Dr David wood(ex atheist, now Christian apologist), Sam shamoun(ex muslim,now Christian apologist) , Dr Nabeel Qureshi (ex muslim,now Christian apologist),
Dr mike licona (Christian theologian), Robert spenser(Christian apologist), Walid shoebat (ex muslim and scholar), Salman Rushdie (ex muslim), Ali Sina (ex muslim) etc have absolutely No fear for exposing Islam despite fatwas on their heads and calls for the assasination (of some of them) by devout Muslims, including the famous fatwā calling for Rushdie's death issued by Iran's "supreme" Islamic leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, for his novel based on the satanic verses of Mohammed. Today, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini is dead while Salman Rushdie is alive.

Islamophobia tends to afflict those most familiar and knowledgeable with Islam while sparing the more gullible and those blinded by political correctness.

Moderates Muslims often wonder why muslim extremists kill non Muslims while a verse like this is found in the quran.

Quran Verse 9:111 –
"Lo! Allah hath bought from the believers their lives and their wealth because the Garden will be theirs: they shall fight in the way of Allah and shall slay and be slain. It is a promise which is binding on Him in the Torah and the Gospel and the Qur'an. Who fulfilleth His covenant better than Allah? Rejoice then in your bargain that ye have made, for that is the supreme triumph."

There are over 150 verses like this in the quran which the terrorists use justify killing people Including innocent Muslims. Everyone on the religous and non religous spectrum can be a victim of the jihadists.

The word "Islamophobia" literally means a fear of Islam, but since Allah himself "throws terror into the hearts of disbelievers"
Therefore (Quran 8:12) it is used more often in reference to the rejection of Islam and not neccessarily hate of Islam.
** Muslims imagine if the verse says
," Allah will throw terror into the hearts of disbelieving Muslims"

Quran 8:12
"I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve.
Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"
** Muslims imagine if the verse says,
"I will cast terror into the hearts of those Muslims.
Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Quran 9:5
"Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful ."

** Muslims imagine if the verse says, "Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the Muslims wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful ."

Do u see why some people fear Islamic expansion and why some folks vote purely on religious sentiments.

I have previously pointed out in past posts that that whatever a Muslims says is based on the rule of al-Taqqiya or the Art of Lying to the Infidel, and got branded as an Islamophobe.
Once you list the verse, they stop calling you an Islamophobe ( abuamam ), sociolist( empiree ), christain Zionist (empiree) or Gainsayer( rilwon / rilwanye001 ).

Have u noticed that the world has not seen any violent or peaceful procession/ protests from Muslim countries to protest innocent Journalists and AID workers killed by terriorist groups like ISIS, alqueda, Boko haram, al nusra, Taliban, Etc and their kidnapping while working in war torn Syria etc and they have been killed them in front of world media while Muslims remain "protestless" ? But World watched the fearfully brutality of Muslim countries and the burning of churches in protest for Muhammad’s cartoon, somebody needs to tell these ignorant Muslims that the cartoonists where atheists and not christians. But please don't harm atheists. They deserve the right to their opinon like any other person.

I have pointed out that Islam encourages Muslims to be economical with the truth in dealing with Infidels or kaffirs aka unbelievers, and was called an Islamophobe, christain extremist, sadist and even sex addict( mrolai ) which is insane because I do not fear Islam, like I said before I detest its horrid teachings and i just spread the truth of what the Muslims fail to mention.

Ask a muslim to explain this verse;
Verse quran 5:33 says:
"The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom;"

** Muslims imagine if the verse says, "The only reward of those Muslims who make war upon amadioha and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that those Muslims will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be the muslim degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom;"

Now let's look at some other passages and let's see if Muslims like it if a religion commads its followers to fight Muslims using Islamic verses,
P.s I use amadioha because as I undertand it is a pagan diety in eastern nigerian, I don't know anyother nigerian diety.

Surah 2:190 - Fight in the way of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress, for Allah does not like transgressors.

** Muslims imagine if the verse says, " . Fight in the way of amadioha those Muslims who fight you, but do not transgress, for Allah does not like transgressors.

Surah 2:191
And kill them wherever you overtake them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- Haram until they fight you there. But if they fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelievers."

** Muslims imagine if the verse says, " And kill those Muslims wherever you overtake them and expel Muslims from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah is worse than killing. And do not fight them at al-Masjid al- Haram until they fight you there. But if the Muslims fight you, then kill them. Such is the recompense of the disbelieving Muslims."

Qur'an (4:24)-"And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess.

** Muslims imagine if the verse says, "And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those muslim captives whom your right hands possess.

Qur'an (8:69)-"But (now) enjoy what ye took in war, lawful and good"

** Muslims imagine if the verse says, "But (now) enjoy what ye took from Muslims in war, lawful and good"

Qur'an (33:50)-"O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those (slaves) whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee"

** Muslims imagine if the verse says, "O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; and those muslim slaves whom thy right hand possesses out of the prisoners of war whom Allah has assigned to thee"

Qur'an (23:5-6)-"..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess..."
** Muslims imagine if the verse says, "..who abstain from sex, except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or the muslim captives whom their right hands possess..."

Qur'an (5:51)-"O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends(guardians, protectors,allies depending on the translation of the Arabic); they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people."
** Muslims imagine if the verse says, "O you who believe! do not take the Muslims for friends(guardians, protectors,allies depending on the translation of the Arabic); they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Amadioha does not guide the unjust people."

Qur'an (5:80)-"You will see many of them befriending those who disbelieve; certainly evil is that which their souls have sent before for them, that Allah became displeased with them and in chastisement shall they abide."

** Muslims imagine if the verse says, "You will see many of them befriending those who disbelieving Muslims; certainly evil is that which their souls have sent before for them, that amadeohia became displeased with them and in chastisement shall they abide."

Qur'an (3:28)-"Let not the believers Take for friends or helpers Unbelievers rather than believers: if any do that, in nothing will there be help from Allah:except by way of precaution, that ye may Guard yourselves from them..."

** Muslims imagine if the verse says, ""Let not the believers Take for friends or helpers Muslims rather than believers: if any do that, in nothing will there be help from amadioha :except by way of precaution, that ye may Guard yourselves from them..."

There are many more but I shall stop here, you can add any verse u know..

Muslims think and stop playing the victim. Read ur sources and put yourself at the other end of the sword.

Shalom.

Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by onetrack(m): 7:55pm On Jun 04, 2015
I don't like Islam, but I have nothing against individual Muslims as long as they don't try to force anything on me. Same as Christianity.

A case could certainly be made that the Quran itself is 'phobic' against Jews, Christians, and Pagans.

3 Likes

Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 04, 2015
onetrack:
I don't like Islam, but I have nothing against individual Muslims as long as they don't try to force anything on me. Same as Christianity.

A case could certainly be made that the Quran itself is 'phobic' against Jews, Christians, and Pagans.

Unfortunately, the people who coined and use the term have blurred the line so much that there's no difference.

They use it so loosely that it could mean you're anywhere from anti-paedophilia to racist nazi-zionist.

1 Like

Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by Nobody: 11:14am On Jun 05, 2015
DProDG:

Unfortunately, the people who coined and use the term have blurred the line so much that there's no difference.

They use it so loosely that it could mean you're anywhere from anti-paedophilia to racist nazi-zionist.
Islamophobia is a lie. Every civilised person must fear Sharia punishments. Who wants to be stoned for commiting adultery? Who wants to be amputated for stealing? Does it make sense that a woman must produce four male witnesses after being raped otherwise she gets stoned for adultery? With all due respect to the Muslims here I say the fear of Islamic Law is not irrational. It is real. I know as a Christian in the Old Testament there were such barbaric laws but no Christian takes them seriously anymore. If Muslims want us to not fear them i recommend they do away with sharia and concentrate on the five pillars which is zakat, five prayers a day, hajj, ramadan and the shahadah. In other words the political aspect of Islam must be done away with.

2 Likes

Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by parisbookaddict(f): 6:08pm On Jun 05, 2015
Papist:

Islamophobia is a lie. Every civilised person must fear Sharia punishments. Who wants to be stoned for commiting adultery? Who wants to be amputated for stealing? Does it make sense that a woman must produce four male witnesses after being raped otherwise she gets stoned for adultery? With all due respect to the Muslims here I say the fear of Islamic Law is not irrational. It is real. I know as a Christian in the Old Testament there were such barbaric laws but no Christian takes them seriously anymore. If Muslims want us to not fear them i recommend they do away with sharia and concentrate on the five pillars which is zakat, five prayers a day, hajj, ramadan and the shahadah. In other words the political aspect of Islam must be done away with.

Islam is a totalitarian political idealogy it isn't really a religion. They don't give charity to non Muslims, they are intolerant of non Muslims and they don't assimilate. They just want all people to worship an Arabian moon god.

The sharia is part and parcel of Islam. Without the sharia approved apostasy law Islam will die off in less than 3 generations.
Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jun 05, 2015
parisbookaddict:

Islam is a totalitarian political idealogy it isn't really a religion. They don't give charity to non Muslims, they are intolerant of non Muslims and they don't assimilate. They just want all people to worship an Arabian moon god.

The sharia is part and parcel of Islam. Without the sharia approved apostasy law Islam will die off in less than 3 generations.
Lol we have a big problem then. I'm glad I live in a country were Islam is pretty much non existent. I dont think I can survive sharia society for a year. No matter what I can never imagine visiting Saudi Arabia or Pakistan.
Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by mujahid1339(m): 12:58pm On Jun 07, 2015
parisbookaddict:

[s]Islam is a totalitarian political idealogy it isn't really a religion. They don't give charity to non Muslims, they are intolerant of non Muslims and they don't assimilate. They just want all people to worship an Arabian moon god.[/s]

The sharia is part and parcel of Islam. [s]Without the sharia approved apostasy law Islam will die off in less than 3 generations[/s].
TRASH!
Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by mujahid1339(m): 1:02pm On Jun 07, 2015
Papist:

Lol we have a big problem then. I'm glad I live in a country were Islam is pretty much non existent. I dont think I can survive sharia society for a year. No matter what I can never imagine visiting Saudi Arabia or Pakistan.
whatever society you are Shariah is coming
Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 07, 2015
mujahid1339:
whatever society you are Shariah is coming
Why do you want to force Sharia on people who want to live in civilised societies?

1 Like

Re: Defining "Islamophobia" by Demmzy15(m): 3:42pm On Jun 07, 2015
Papist:

But you'll love to visit Malaysia, Qatar or UAE right?! grin
By the way, who told you Pakistan rules by shariah?!

(1) (Reply)

75 Bible References On Drinking Alcohol / Pastor:god Commanded Me To Have Sex With Them - And Their Daughters / Goliath Skull Discovered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.