Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected (1109 Views)

UK General Election: Conservatives Win Majority Returning David Cameron As PM / Conservatives Win A Majority In UK Elections / I’ll Perform Better In My Second Term If Re-Elected - President Jonathan Assures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by Rawani: 12:11am On May 08, 2015
Who else is following the polls? Exit polls at the moment suggest a Conservatives victory.

Not in my favour at the moment...

#teammilliband

Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by Rawani: 12:31am On May 08, 2015
The Conservatives will be the largest party after the General Election, according to an exit poll carried out for the major broadcasters.

The poll put the Conservatives on 316 seats, Labour on 239, the Scottish National Party on 58, the Liberal Democrats on 10 and UKIP on two.

The first results of the night saw Labour holding Sunderland Central, Houghton and Sunderland South and Washington and Sunderland West.

The parties are trying to get 326 seats to command a majority.
And if the election result mirrors that of the exit poll, David Cameron will be just 10 seats short - the number predicted to be won by the Lib Dems.

Former cabinet secretary Lord O'Donnell told Sky News it would leave David Cameron with two choices - forming a coalition or leading a minority Government.

A Conservative party source told Sky News Mr Cameron was "pleased" with the exit poll.

And Home Secretary Theresa May said: "If the results of the exit polls are correct it shows a clear win for David Cameron and the Conservatives.

"But it is only an exit poll, I think we have to wait until all the votes have been counted and we can see what the results are.

"Whatever the result, we are clear that the Conservatives will make the choice that is right for the country."

Harriet Harman, Labour's deputy leader, told Sky News the party was "very sceptical" about the forecast.

She tweeted: "I'm hoping for a good night but I think 58 seats is unlikely! #GE15"

Labour's Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls said: "Clearly if the exit poll is right it is a terrible result for Labour in Scotland. I really hope it’s going to be wrong."

Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party could play some role in the formation of the next Government if the poll is correct.

When asked whether they were ready to enter negotiations, deputy leader Nigel Dodds said: "We're always available to talk when it's in the interest of the country."

The Greens are predicted to win two seats, Plaid Cymru four and others 19, according to the survey.

The Ipsos MORI/Gfk NOP poll was carried out for Sky News, ITV News and the BBC at 141 polling locations in 133 constituencies across Great Britain.

http://news.sky.com/story/1479761/david-cameron-pleased-with-exit-poll
Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by nduchucks: 12:33am On May 08, 2015
sebi Adegboye prayed correct prayer for the PM as opposed to the kind prayer the Obas "blessed" you know who, with.

2 Likes

Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by TheEqualizer: 12:37am On May 08, 2015
Clean sweep for the Tories, 316 seats projected.

Better luck next time.

1 Like

Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by Rawani: 1:15am On May 08, 2015
nduchucks:
sebi Adegboye prayed correct prayer for the PM as opposed to the kind prayer the Obas "blessed" you know who, with.

Hehehe no lie. Pound sterling offering talking.

1 Like

Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by Nobody: 4:28am On May 08, 2015
K
Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by moufan: 5:28am On May 08, 2015
am really sad george galloway lost his seat in bradford west

1 Like

Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by PassingShot(m): 5:44am On May 08, 2015
I kinda prefer Parliamentary system to Presidential form of government. It removes the excessive powers enjoyed by the president in the latter.

1 Like

Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by Rawani: 8:32pm On May 08, 2015
PassingShot:
I kinda prefers Parliamentary system to Presidential form of government. It removes the excessive powers enjoyed by the president in the latter.

I completely agree. Unlike the presidential system, parliamentary systems have a built-in mechanism that allows for the easy removal of a lousy leader, who can be removed easily in three legal ways: 1) vote of confidence; 2) removal by the party; 3) removal by the Head-of-State. Compare this with the presidential system wherein the only legal recourse is through the very difficult process of impeachment, which rarely succeeds, leaving citizens with the option of either waiting until the end of the term or forcefully removing the leader through a risky revolution or coup d'etat. Jonathan would have been stale news ages ago.

1 Like

Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by Rawani: 8:45pm On May 08, 2015
Sad to see my man Ed leave. He had to resign honourably. There are absolutely no parallels between the UK & Nigerian elections.

Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by Rawani: 8:53pm On May 08, 2015
A photo posted on Instagram shows Ed Miliband addressing Labour staff. The final departure speech.

Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by Rawani: 9:01pm On May 08, 2015
Ed Miliband has announced his resignation as leader of the Labour Party after a disastrous election defeat which saw the Conservatives win a majority.

He made the announcement shortly after noon to a room full of supporters, saying solemnly: "This is not the speech I wanted to give today because I believe that Britain needed a Labour government.

"I still do but the public voted otherwise last night.

"I am tendering my resignation taking effect after this afternoon's commemoration of VE-Day.

"I want to do so straight away because the party needs an open debate about the right way forward without constraint."

Mr Miliband says he phoned David Cameron earlier to congratulate him on his victory.

He then told the audience: "I take absolute and total responsibility for this result."

Harriet Harman will take over the role temporarily, but says she will step down as deputy leader when the new leader is chosen.

Re: Conservatives Win UK Polls | Cameron Re-elected by PureWays(m): 9:05pm On May 08, 2015
PassingShot:
I kinda prefers Parliamentary system to Presidential form of government. It removes the excessive powers enjoyed by the president in the latter.
Exactly.

(1) (Reply)

Ekiti Assembly Crisis: Court Strikes Out APC Lawmakers’ Suit Against Fayose / OPINIONS: Imagine Mr President Standing At The 'RED LIGHT' - 'Right Or Wrong'? / Knowing Buhari Will Not Fail, PDP Supporters Now Tags Along

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.