Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,477 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires (153820 Views)

The 8 Most Popular Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / 6 Lovely Indigenous Nigerian Wedding Attires And Bridal Looks (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by EBIXANDRA(f): 3:03pm On May 09, 2015
condralbede:
Idoma...beautiful costume
Thats tiv costume, this is idoma

2 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by condralbede(m): 3:07pm On May 09, 2015
EBIXANDRA:
You r right thr ..tnx.

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by condralbede(m): 3:07pm On May 09, 2015
EBIXANDRA:
You r right dear..tnx.

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by cutietokunbo: 3:11pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Don't be tired oh,pls.
Easterners might have borrowed in the past but they are reaching back to their traditional cultures.
If you say tying headgear made of Asoke is a Yoruba culture,i will agree. But the popular headgear inported from China and India, No, it's a Nigerian thing.
I noticed that of Northerners,but it's not my business.

Cool wink

You are a lady and for that reason alone( as far as argument is concerned otherwise I ll be here till Monday), you won and you ll continue to win in advance.

I totally agreed with things u have said and unsaid.

You are my neighbour in Europe and I think it ll be nice if we could communicate in French instead of English.

French Henceforth:

ME:

Bonjour-Good afternoon

Comment va le travail -How is work?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 3:13pm On May 09, 2015
cutietokunbo:

Cool wink

You are a lady and for that reason alone( as far as argument is concerned otherwise I ll be here till Monday), you won and you ll continue to win in advance.

I totally agreed with things u have said and unsaid.

You are my neighbour in Europe and I think it ll be nice if we could communicate in French instead of English.

French Henceforth:

ME:

Bonjour-Good afternoon

Comment va le travail -How is work?

D'accord! Merci. It's Saturday,so no work. Comment tu t'appelle?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by dechandel(f): 3:13pm On May 09, 2015
Pavore9:

Ok, me am looking forward to my sister's own, so l can dance Ada, Ada in my father's compound! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Why not do your own, so peeps will come and dance ada ada for you? grin grin
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Idrismusty97(m): 3:14pm On May 09, 2015
Rosemary216:

hmmmm... i dont tink fulanis fix eyelashes like brooms oooo undecided
They do! Especially on weddings.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by LeSudAfricaine: 3:16pm On May 09, 2015
Pedi, South Africa

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by LeSudAfricaine: 3:18pm On May 09, 2015
Zulu. South Africa

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by cutietokunbo: 3:18pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

D'accord! Merci. It's Saturday,so no work. Comment tu t'appelle?

dèsòle

Je oublier que samedi

Comment la France et comment allez vous?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 3:22pm On May 09, 2015
cutietokunbo:

Comment la France et comment allez vous?
Je vais bien,merci. Je ne suis pas parle francais oh.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Pavore9: 3:25pm On May 09, 2015
dechandel:
Why not do your own, so peeps will come and dance ada ada for you? grin grin

Marriage no dey my plan, so waiting to eat my sister's wedding rice! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by cutietokunbo: 3:29pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Je vais bien,merci. Je ne suis pas parle francais oh.

et-su à School in France?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 3:32pm On May 09, 2015
cutietokunbo:

Non,j' habite Nigeria na.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Angelou(m): 3:37pm On May 09, 2015
shikaan:
my sister's traditional wedding
i think she looks beautiful!!
cry cry cryam surely going to miss her....
you must be a tiv

1 Like

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 3:40pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Igbo is 100 percent African. Fashion evolves,it is not static. Even what we call indian and Islamic clothing evolved over the years. Men were tying loin clothes before they could spurn/ weave cotton and before the discovered silk worm.
The authencity is all about making it your own,so that where ever you see it in the world,you will easily identify it.
We should be more concerned on who is producing the materials.

Hahahaha!

The same Iboswho were running around in alaibo less than 100 years ago almost stark nak3d invented shirts, huh? undecided

4 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 3:41pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Hahahaha!

The same Iboswho were running around in alaibo less than 100 years ago almost stark nak3d invented shirts, huh? undecided
I have seen stark naked Yorubas,it's all over the net.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 3:44pm On May 09, 2015
cutietokunbo:

U must be tired indeed. Je me suis rendu pour les vacanes. So je ne pas parel bien francais. Bye.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 3:47pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

I have seen stark naked Yorubas,it's all over the net.

You don't even know my ethnicity and I basically posted on what I saw on the thread, and my critique's based on what was on thread. So why bring Yoruba into it? Are you scared of Yoruba or it's inherent that you have to measure everything with them for/as-a relevance/standard? Which one? undecided

I can see shirt, t-shirt, blazer, and suit. Are all these traditional African clothes?

4 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by cutietokunbo: 4:02pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

U must be tired indeed.
Je me suis rendu pour les vacanes. So je ne pas parel bien francais.
Bye.

Lol!!! See your mouth.....

I fell asleep but awake now
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 4:11pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

You don't even know my ethnicity and I basically posted on what I saw on the thread, and my critique's based on what was on thread. So why bring Yoruba into it? Are you scared of Yoruba or it's inherent that you have to measure everything with them for/as-a relevance/standard? Which one? undecided

I can see shirt, t-shirt, blazer, and suit. Are all these traditional African clothes?
Yes,i wrote Yoruba because they are notoriously known for writing Ibo instead of Igbo. If you are not Yoruba,then that's for you.
Like i said,everyone has infused Western attire into their clothes. Even the one's tying wrapper wear boxers or trouser for decency. I have seen unclad people of all Nigerian cultures. Contrary to your assumptions, unclothedness depicts Maturity and decency before the white man came to Africa,but of course ,every culture is different. I can't remember any World culture that wasn't naked or half naked before they felt like adopting clothes. You can't base your assumptions on a few picture cos they serve a purpose for white men and his supposed superiority over native Africans. unclothedness doesn't mean underdevelopment or unexistence of clothes. Isn't it ironical,that the people that called Africans primitive, and taught us that unclothedness is not good; are now descending into another level of primitiveness, by walking naked up and down the streets?
Besides,the igbo guy is not wearing a suit,a tie or a blazer. Your description is very wide and hasty.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 09, 2015
sokera:
very nice , check this out Malaysian wedding attire...
What of indonesian own nko?
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 4:56pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Yes,i wrote Yoruba because they are notoriously known for writing Ibo instead of Igbo. If you are not Yoruba,then that's for you.

Isn't this profiling? Once again, you're showing inherent prejudice/insecurity about the Yoruba. If a white person were to profile you this way, how would you feel? More so, isn't 'Ibo' what is in the Nigerian constitution and all other scholastic sources about an African tribe in lower Niger region of present day Nigeria?

I don't get involved in empty political correctness induced by trying to mask one's insecurities. Keep me out of it.'Igbo' is a recent creation.

Like i said,everyone has infused Western attire into their clothes. Even the one's tying wrapper wear boxers or trouser for decency. I have seen unclad people of all Nigerian cultures. Contrary to your assumptions, unclothedness depicts Maturity and decency before the white man came to Africa,but of course ,every culture is different. I can't remember any World culture that wasn't naked or half naked before they felt like adopting clothes.

You can't base your assumptions on a few picture cos they serve a purpose for white men and his supposed superiority over native Africans. unclothedness doesn't mean underdevelopment or unexistence of clothes. Isn't it ironical,that the people that called Africans primitive, and taught us that unclothedness is not good; are now descending into another level of primitiveness, by walking naked up and down the streets?

Conflating two different issues, while obfuscating the tangent of discourse shows you have something in there you're trying too hard to mask. The thread is about 'African traditional clothes' and I believe I've a right to question the 'African-ness' in all the western clothes presented as being African. People walking nak3d is off-point. The question is: are those clothes African or not?

Besides,the igbo guy is not wearing a suit,a tie or a blazer. Your description is very wide and hasty.

I can't remember implying anything about the Ibo guy. If my memory hasn't gone blank, I remember listing all the western clothes among the pictures posted, without singling out anyone. Why the insecurity?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by isan(m): 5:24pm On May 09, 2015
Yoruba's wedding attires remains the best in the world

4 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 5:50pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

Isn't this profiling? Once again, you're showing inherent prejudice/insecurity about the Yoruba. If a white person were to profile you this way, how would you feel? More so, isn't 'Ibo' what is in the Nigerian constitution and all other scholastic sources about an African tribe in lower Niger region of present day Nigeria?

I don't get involved in empty political correctness induced by trying to mask one's insecurities. Keep me out of it.'Igbo' is a recent creation.

Conflating two different issues, while obfuscating the tangent of discourse shows you have something in there you're trying too hard to mask. The thread is about 'African traditional clothes' and I believe I've a right to question the 'African-ness' in all the western clothes presented as being African. People walking nak3d is off-point. The question is: are those clothes African or not?

I can't remember implying anything about the Ibo guy. If my memory hasn't gone blank, I remember listing all the western clothes among the pictures posted, without singling out anyone. Why the insecurity?
You are just one of those people that quote because they have no other alternative. Igbo might be a recent creation to you,that doesn't mean that ibo is right. Ibo is a creation of foreigners that couldn't prononce igbo correctly. It is against the phonlogical and linguistic rules of Igbo language. We now have a standard Otography which contains /gb/, it is better you respect that and write it correctly. Before we had ibo,we had Heebo and Eboe, today the world recognises Igbo as the official nomenclature for an ethnic group in old Eastern Nigeria. All the sochlastic materials were written before Igbo language,alphabet and otorgraphy was studied and approved.
I don't know how people will feel if i decide to write Yoruba as Yorob-a or America as Amirika,cos of pronouciation differences.
What prejudice? Everyone on Nairaland,knows that yoruba write ibo instead of spelling it correctly. You are only engaging in interference. If you weren't insecure and unreasonable,you wouldn't have made a mockery of what you erroneously perceive as undevelopment.
Secondly,if you go back to my earlier comments,i limited my views on only ''IGBO ClOTHING''. You are the one extending it to other attires,so you might want to respond to your questions. Your description and references is too far from my subject matter cos am not discussing the Western attires!
You made mention of Igbos running around naked ,apparently you felt they were the only ones walking naked at that time. Obviously naked igbos is something to make fun of according to you.
Only an unmannered and insecure person would do that on a public forum.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 6:13pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You are just one of those people that quote because they have no other alternative.

I didn't quote you, you quoted me with hateful/needless profiling; and I responded.

It seems you're losing it mentally, and you might need to book yourself into a mental home. This is what happens when people become inherently prejudiced/insecure, chasing shadow, when no one is chasing them. Are you sure you're not scared of your own shadow as well? cheesy

Igbo might be a recent creation to you,that doesn't mean that ibo is right. Ibo is a creation of those that can't prononce igbo correctly. It is against the phonlogical and linguistic rules of Igbo language. We now have a standard Otography which contains /gb/, it is better you respect that and write it correctly. What prejudice? Everyone on Nairaland,know that yoruba write ibo instead of spelling it correctly. You are only engaging in inteferance.

Is the Nigerian constitution a Yoruba constitution? I remember vividly that Chinua Achebe used 'Ibo' in all his books; does that also make him Yoruba? And are Yoruba the only ones who use 'Ibo' loosely? You don't even know if I'm Yoruba or not, but because you're insecure, I've to be Yoruba. Why are you trying to force Yoruba on me?

No, it has always been Ibo/Ebo...the use of 'Igbo' is a recent creation. It's just like Kongo/Afrika/Bini and Congo/Africa/Benin. While the former are as old as when they were named, the latter are recent creation. And the onus is on whoever is using the words in whatever context to pick and choose what's suitable for him/her; you can't force it. I don't see people from Benin complain about the use of 'Bini' loosely sometimes, why are you different? What are you insecure about?

Secondly,if you go back to my earlier comments,i limited my views on only IGBO ClOTHING. You are the one extending it to other attires,so you might want to respond to your questions. Your description and references is too far from what on my subject matter.

I'm not interested in what(not) you limited your views to. I posted an observation about more than on attire without singling out anyone. So why are you so pained about it?

You made mention of Igbos running around naked ,apparently you felt they were the only ones walking naked at that time. Obviously unclothedness is something to make fun of according to you.

No, the premise in which I implied that, was as a response to what you said. You and I know that shirts aren't African by any stretch of even the most deluded mind's imagination. So why say it's part of your traditional attire? undecided

More so, I never made fun of 'unclothedness', you're the one twisting my observation, while making a mountain out of a molehill due to your insecurities.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Ihuomadinihu: 6:29pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

I didn't quote you, you quoted me with hateful/needless profiling; and I responded.

It seems you're losing it mentally, and you might need to book yourself into a mental home. This is what happens when people become inherently prejudiced/insecure, chasing shadow, when no one is chasing them. Are you sure you're not scared of your own shadow as well? cheesy

Isn't the Nigerian constitution a Yoruba constitution? I remember vividly that Chinua Achebe used 'Ibo' in all his books; does that also make him Yoruba? And are Yoruba the only ones who use 'Ibo' loosely? You don't even know if I'm Yoruba or not, but because you're insecure, I've to be Yoruba. Why are you trying to force Yoruba on me?

No, it has always been Ibo/Ebo...the use of 'Igbo' is a recent creation. It's just like Kongo/Afrika/Bini and Congo/Africa/Benin. While the former are as old as when they were named, the latter are recent creation. And the onus is on whoever is using the words in whatever context to pick and choose what's suitable for him/her; you can't force it. I don't see people from Benin complain about the use of 'Bini' loosely sometimes, why are you different? What are you insecure about?

I'm not interested in what(not) you limited your views to. I posted an observation about more than on attire without singling out anyone. So why are you so pained about it?

No, the premise in which I implied that was a response to what you said. You and I know that shirts are African by any stretch of even the most deluded mind's imagination. So why say it's part of you traditional attire? undecided

More so, I never made fun of 'unclothedness', you're the one twisting my observation, while making a mountain out of a molehill due to your insecurities.
Igbos have never claimed the manufactured shirts originally,so that suggestion comes from you. What i pointed out was your shady remarks that Igbos were running alone naked and now claming to produce shirts. My responds was that Igbo attire is very African eventhough they borrowed the european shirt,so you can take or leave it.
As for Igbo and Ibo, official documents,newspapers,Embassies,Waec, passports,Cerificates etc don't recognise ibo. Igbo is the only official name for Igbo people,anyother spelling is a misnomer and outlawed.
Chinua Achebe wrote some of his books before there was an authorized and standard Igbo otorgraphy and alphabet. I don't think i need to stress myself by explaining that Ibo resulted in the incapacity of pronoucing Igbo correctly. You posted your observation on some attires and i defended and corrected an impression about my traditional wear,when has it become insecurity or profiling? Learn to choose your words with maturity not because you are free to write as you please. As far as i know,you were being prejudiced and shady immediately you saw my igbo name and made a reference to naked igbos.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 6:47pm On May 09, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Igbos have never claimed the manufactured shirts originally,so that suggestion comes from you. What i pointed out was your shady remarks that Igbos were running alone naked and now claming to produce shirts. My responds was that Igbo attire is very African eventhough they borrowed the european shirt,so you can take or leave it.

I don't know if you have amnesia or dementia (I doubt it's dementia because you still sound relatively young), however, I'll post the excerpt from your post that I responded to. You said: "Igbo is 100 percent African https://www.nairaland.com/2302279/10-beautiful-african-traditional-wedding/3#33572896 " and that's in relation to the attire, not the ethnicity.

Perhaps I shouldn't have suggested the time Ibos never had a shirt on by implying nak3dness, to draw a parallel between when people have been wearing shirts, in relation to when Ibos started wearing them, just to show it isn't African. However, that doesn't negate my point since that's what you're trying to debase the discourse to, while shifting from the main argument.

So let get back to the basics: is shirt/blazer/suit/t-shirt African?

As for Igbo and Ibo, official documents,newspapers,Embassies,Waec, passports,Cerificates etc don't recognise ibo. Igbo is the only official name for Igbo people,anyother spelling is a misnomer and outlawed.

Well, I'm not speaking in an 'official'/'formal' capacity here and I believe I've a right to spell it however I want to since 'Ibo' was widely used before the modern creation 'Igbo' became the official word. And the Nigerian constitution recognises 'Ibo' not 'Igbo'.

I reiterate: if people don't have a problem Afrika/Kongo/Bini, why are you different? And what are you insecure about?

Chinua Achebe wrote some of his books before their was an authorized and standard Igbo otorgraphy and alphabet. I don't think i need to stress myself by explaining that Ibo was the incapacity of pronoucing Igbo correctly.

Okay, based on your logic and your argument on this thread: Achebe was Yoruba when he used 'Ibo' and Ibo when he used 'Igbo' in his books, yes?

I'd wager that 'Ibo' looks appealing than 'Igbo' since an English/American/Australian/Canadian would find it difficult to enunciate the use of two consonants 'g' and 'b' together.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 09, 2015
TheEqualizer:

why ar you denying your tribe yoloba man
stop lieing, omo yoloba.
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 09, 2015
Angelou:
you must be a tiv
yeahh i am.. proudly smiley
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by Nobody: 6:56pm On May 09, 2015
Lemon12:
Tiv attire ..... Cool on her
thank you.. smiley
Re: 10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires by TheEqualizer: 6:57pm On May 09, 2015
adeitoro:

why ar you denying your tribe yoloba man
stop lieing, omo yoloba.

I neither affirmed nor denied anything, ndi ara. Keep guessing.

Ewu ebola. cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures / Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife / Post Pics Of Fulani Girls!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.