Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,501 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election (1443 Views)

What Will You Do To Save Nigeria If You Are Elected As President Tomorrow???? / Akinwunmi Adesina elected as AfDB president / Victor Eni Won Borough Council Seat, UK Election 2015(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by tojahh(m): 10:08pm On May 08, 2015
In a surprising twist in the United Kingdom elections, a 20-year-old Scottish student has become Britain’s youngest lawmaker since 1667.
The girl, a politics student known as Mhairi Black ousted one of Labour party’s top figures in the process.
Mhairi Black became the youngest lawmaker for over 3 centuries
She represented the pro-independence Scottish National Party (SNP) and won Paisley and Renfrewshire South, a constituency outside Glasgow, from Douglas Alexander, Labour’s election chief and a former Cabinet minister.
Opposition party’s leader Ed Milliband retained his seat with over 52% of the votes and told his supporters: “It has clearly been a very difficult and disappointing night for the Labour party”.

He said that the defeat was due to the “surge of nationalism in Scotland” which has drastically affected his party’s chances in the polls.

An ecstatic Mhairi Black told her supporters:“I pledge to use this voice not just to improve Scotland, but to pursue progressive politics for the benefit of people across the UK”.
“The fact is that people have woken up to the fact that Westminster has not been serving them and the Labour party has not been serving them,”she said.
She gave a gracious victory speech, praising her predecessor warmly.“While I appreciate that this is a blow from Douglas Alexander, I truly hope he will remain to see his future in politics once he has recovered from this result,”she said.

Her message to voters was inclusive:“Whether you voted for the SNP or not, and whatever your views are on Scotland’s future, I will seek to represent you and everyone in this constituency to the very best of my ability,”she said.“This election is about making the voice of this constituency and the whole of Scotland heard more effectively at Westminster than ever before.”
She pledged to end the billions wasted on a renewal of Trident. she then promised to demand the powers that were promised to Scotland during the referendum campaigns.
When asked, what she was going to do, she responded “Sleep.” After that? “Breakfast.” And after that she will have to complete her dissertation, due by the end of the month in order to complete her politics degree.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by ashson: 10:09pm On May 08, 2015
k
Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by Mogidi: 10:14pm On May 08, 2015
Meanwhile in backward Nigeria, a 73yr old illiterate was elected, no betting why the UK is miles ahead of Nigeria. Smh!

1 Like

Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by tojahh(m): 10:23pm On May 08, 2015
Meanwhile here in naija, our National "Youth Leader" is above 40yrs. cheesy

Nothing mega... We dey look una.

2 Likes

Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by sammieguze(m): 11:22pm On May 08, 2015
that's change in action my brother
Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by Vicadonis(m): 2:01am On May 09, 2015
And my garandpa's mates won't let us become ordinary councillor at 30.

1 Like

Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by Nobody: 2:12am On May 09, 2015
Mogidi:
Meanwhile in backward Nigeria, a 73yr old illiterate was elected, no betting why the UK is miles ahead of Nigeria. Smh!
Will you ever shutup for once mugu
Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by stephenqueen: 2:18am On May 09, 2015
Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by Nobody: 3:58am On May 09, 2015
Wow.. awe-inspiring. But she really doesn't look twenty
Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by blackfase(m): 6:06am On May 09, 2015
But trust me, its only in our jungle here in nigeria that politicians shunt & toggle their ages. Wont ever happen in d UK......@ least not 21st century britain

misscastle:
Wow.. awe-inspiring.
But she really doesn't look twenty

1 Like

Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by Rilwayne001: 6:16am On May 09, 2015
Mogidi:

GMB my hero

AMAECHI my role model

MADUEKE my sugar momy grin

TOMITOMI my robot

VARCANISTER my gateman

MONGIDI my barber tongue
Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by superstar1(m): 7:11am On May 09, 2015
20 year olds in Nigeria are still busy sagging or pouting.

1 Like

Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by sebali: 11:15am On May 09, 2015
Even though i want more Young leaders I tink she's too young and moreover she's still a student
Re: 20-year-old Girl Elected As Lawmaker In UK Election by yommyphresh(m): 11:30am On May 09, 2015
J

(1) (Reply)

APC Transition Panel Mulls Tough Economic Policies / Pic: Masturbating Men ‘will Find Their Hands Pregnant In The Afterlife’- Muslim / President Osinbajo To Resume Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.