Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,138 members, 7,811,199 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling (2301 Views)

Mymoto Blog: Is your A/C Blowing Warm Air instead of Cold Air? / Dangers Of Using Car AC! Cancerous / Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 09, 2015
Car gurus in the house, i need you expertise.

My car AC switches between hot air and cold air when idling, say when am in traffic.

When I'm in traffic with the AC on, it blows cold air but then after some time the engine sound changes (to the way it sounds when AC is off) and the AC starts blowing hot air. After some minutes, the engine sound changes/engages again (the way it sounds when the AC is working normally) and it starts blowing cold air again.
It continues to behave like this so long as I'm idling.

What can be the cause of this?

Its a 2001 Camry droplight.

Car gurus in the house, kindly assist a brother!
Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by Nobody: 7:39pm On May 09, 2015
Seems like a thermostat / low refrigerant issue. I recommend that you allow an A.C Technician to check the level of gas in the system first.
Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:35pm On May 09, 2015
buchaisky:
Car gurus in the house, i need you expertise.

My car AC switches between hot air and cold air when idling, say when am in traffic.

When I'm in traffic with the AC on, it blows cold air but then after some time the engine sound changes (to the way it sounds when AC is off) and the AC starts blowing hot air. After some minutes, the engine sound changes/engages again (the way it sounds when the AC is working normally) and it starts blowing cold air again.
It continues to behave like this so long as I'm idling.

What can be the cause of this?

Its a 2001 Camry droplight.

Car gurus in the house, kindly assist a brother!
Are you a diy guy?

Problem is most likely the preasure switch located near the drier, its failing, locate it disconect its socket, take a pic and ill show you how to test if ts the culprit.

1 Like

Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 09, 2015
0rex:
Seems like a thermostat / low refrigerant issue. I recommend that you allow an A.C Technician to check the level of gas in the system first.

I just refilled the gas some weeks ago, but same issue persists.
Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 09, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Are you a diy guy?

Problem is most likely the preasure switch located near the drier, its failing, locate it disconect its socket, take a pic and ill show you how to test if ts the culprit.

Oga Gazzuzz, I'm not much into diy o.
Its my first car, just about 5 months old.

Please how do i locate the pressure switch or the drier?
Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by Nobody: 9:59pm On May 09, 2015
buchaisky:

I just refilled the gas some weeks ago, but same issue persists.
Ok. Thank God my oga gazzuzz has commented. Follow his suggestion.
Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:52am On May 10, 2015
0rex:

Ok. Thank God my oga gazzuzz has commented. Follow his suggestion.

My Oga next time you call time ur Oga we go fight. smiley
Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:00am On May 10, 2015
buchaisky:

Oga Gazzuzz, I'm not much into diy o.
Its my first car, just about 5 months old.

Please how do i locate the pressure switch or the drier?

Standing in fron of the car look inbetween the bumper and the condenser/radiator, you will see an aluminium canister with a wire connected to an a.c line close to it. Remove the socket and it will look like this. [img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5s2MX0xK0qoQisDDJ6L0F0kK0ZzbefRzufz2FfZOU6em48jqFAw[/img]

Bridge 1-4 and take the car for a short test if the a.c does not trip replace the switch.

Please get an auto electrician to help you do this.

The gas will be discharged before the switch is removed.

1 Like

Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by Nobody: 7:44am On May 10, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Standing in fron of the car look inbetween the bumper and the condenser/radiator, you will see an aluminium canister with a wire connected to an a.c line close to it. Remove the socket and it will look like this. [img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5s2MX0xK0qoQisDDJ6L0F0kK0ZzbefRzufz2FfZOU6em48jqFAw[/img]

Bridge 1-4 and take the car for a short test if the a.c does not trip replace the switch.

Please get an auto electrician to help you do this.

The gas will be discharged before the switch is removed.

Will get an electrician to help me with that.
Will revert with the result.

Thanks alot sir!
Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by Nobody: 10:30am On May 10, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

My Oga next time you call time ur Oga we go fight. smiley
grin
Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by emmaak2(m): 8:19am On Feb 05, 2020

Will get an electrician to help me with that.
Will revert with the result.

Thanks alot sir!

How far this
Re: My Car AC Switches Between Hot Air And Cold Air When Idling by ITbomb(m): 1:14pm On Feb 05, 2020
If your RPM is low at idle, it can happen that your Compressor stopped when the engine could not deliver enough power at idle to run the Compressor

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Nissan Consult III Consult 3 Plus Scanner Review / Save Money And Never Buy A New Car Battery Again! / Nigeria First Indeginous Made In Nigeria Mrap(mine Resistant Ambush Protected)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.