Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,675 members, 7,851,300 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:38 PM

A Photographer’s Rare 20th Century Look At Africa - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / A Photographer’s Rare 20th Century Look At Africa (1092 Views)

Hot! Are U A Photographer, Graphics Designer, Printer... / Hot! Are U A Photographer, Graphics Designer, Printer... / I Am A Photographer, Photo Editor And Beauty Retoucher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Photographer’s Rare 20th Century Look At Africa by Mcwrath02: 8:06pm On May 09, 2015
Forty years after the death of Life magazine photojournalist Eliot Elisofon, the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African Art is celebrating the legacy of the photographer who offered an extensive look at post–World War II Africa over several decades.

“If you look at the history of how Africa was represented in photography in the 20th century, you’d would be hard pressed to find someone who was more prolific in shooting photographs of Africa and had more of an impact than Elisofon,” said Amy Staples, the curator of ‘Africa ReViewed: The Photographic Legacy of Eliot Elisofon‘.

Elisofon went on 11 trips to the continent, including a tour as a war photographer in which he accompanied Gen. George Patton through North Africa and a four-month trip from Cape Town, South Africa, to Cairo in 1947 that culminated in a Life cover story. Elisofon’s images are significant for the way they helped change American perceptions of Africa in the 20th century, which had for the most part been informed by inaccurate literary and film representations. “He was looking for authenticity and despised these films like Tarzan and safari films. He really felt they were a disservice,” Staples said. “He wanted to illuminate what he considered to be the richness and the dignity and the beauty of African culture and society.”
for more of the photos, click HERE: http://farabale.co/2015/05/09/a-photographers-rare-20th-century-look-at-africa/

Re: A Photographer’s Rare 20th Century Look At Africa by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 09, 2015
OP, i'll be glad if you title your photos please
Re: A Photographer’s Rare 20th Century Look At Africa by Morhziez(m): 8:35pm On May 09, 2015
Wow!!
Re: A Photographer’s Rare 20th Century Look At Africa by Dewze(m): 12:39am On May 11, 2015
These are good stuffs. Makes me want to pick up a camera and go on an all-Africa tour. Always been my dream.

(1) (Reply)

Book For LED ADVERT Slides Before The ‪#‎calabarcarnival‬ Rush / Yinka Shonibare Celebrates His 54th Birthday Today / An Animation I Made For Indomie.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.