Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,083 members, 7,825,412 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. (3556 Views)

Buhari Can Be Impeached Over Magu – Senator Okurounmu / 'It Is Over For Magu, Buhari Can Not Send His Name To Senate Again': Dino Melaye / We’ll Kill Corruption, Solve Power Problem – Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by netotse(m): 9:28pm On Jul 19, 2015
rudebouy:

Are you for real, so you mean a state can decide to build a 3,000MW capacity plant on its own and FG will not interfer?

Off the top of my head I will tell you that you will not find gas for a 3000MW gas-fired power plant if you expect it to come on stream between now and 2018, that's a major obstacle.

LASG built circa 12MW power plants, do you know how they get gas to the power plants? they would probably truck it in as CNG or get supply from one of NGCs franchise holders, both of which would be hard pressed to enough gas.

The tariffs are another issue, who will fund 3000MW at the current tariffs? getting a license from NERC is not the major obstacle, achieving financial closure is.
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by hinwazaka: 9:42pm On Jul 19, 2015
What a funny post. The sad part is that you just rolled out APC's ivory tower. The only way to solve the power problem has already been put in place by the past administration. Privatisation of the power company and unbundling of its units. With this in place the various companies will slowly and painstakingly improve on their capacity. Rome was not built in a day and so it will happen but just not now. That is the difference between a realist PDP and a Dreamy APC
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by rudebouy: 9:53pm On Jul 19, 2015
netotse:

Off the top of my head I will tell you that you will not find gas for a 3000MW gas-fired power plant if you expect it to come on stream between now and 2018, that's a major obstacle.

LASG built circa 12MW power plants, do you know how they get gas to the power plants? they would probably truck it in as CNG or get supply from one of NGCs franchise holders, both of which would be hard pressed to enough gas.

The tariffs are another issue, who will fund 3000MW at the current tariffs? getting a license from NERC is not the major obstacle, achieving financial closure is.

So which is easier and less expensive to achieve, building a 3,000MT gas power plant or building a 3,000 hydro power plant?

Besides, wot if the gas power plant is to be sited in the south where der is enof natural gas deposits?
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by netotse(m): 10:13pm On Jul 19, 2015
rudebouy:

So which is easier and less expensive to achieve, building a 3,000MT gas power plant or building a 3,000 hydro power plant?

Besides, wot if the gas power plant is to be sited in the south where der is enof natural gas deposits?

The gas plant would be cheaper hands down but the availability of gas is the main obstacle. There are a lot of projects competing for the gas expected to come on stream in the next couple of years.

You're right the advantage power plants like Ughelli and Azura have is their closeness to supply, it makes the plants less susceptible to disruptions due to vandalism. However, getting that amount of gas would require you using non-associated gas(NAG), the current tariffs being paid for gas-to-power dont provide enough of an incentive for companies to develop NAG project.

Something to think on though, the 3000MW power plant will cost approx 3 billion USD to build (minus transmission lines and all), which state government can afford to drop that money? The same ones that can't pay salaries abi?
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by rudebouy: 10:19pm On Jul 19, 2015
netotse:

The gas plant would be cheaper hands down but the availability of gas is the main obstacle. There are a lot of projects competing for the gas expected to come on stream in the next couple of years.

You're right the advantage power plants like Ughelli and Azura have is their closeness to supply, it makes the plants less susceptible to disruptions due to vandalism. However, getting that amount of gas would require you using non-associated gas(NAG), the current tariffs being paid for gas-to-power dont provide enough of an incentive for companies to develop NAG project.

Something to think on though, the 3000MW power plant will cost approx 3 billion USD to build (minus transmission lines and all), which state government can afford to drop that money? The same ones that can't pay salaries abi?

U didnt answer my question. Is the 3 billion dollars the approximate cost for gas plant or for hydropower plant?
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by netotse(m): 10:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
rudebouy:

U didnt answer my question. Is the 3 billion dollars the approximate cost for gas plant or for hydropower plant?

netotse:

The 3 billion is an estimate for a gas plant, the rule of thumb is 1 million USD per MW
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by temi4fash(m): 10:26pm On Jul 19, 2015
netotse:

Snet u a mail a while back.. hope u got it
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by rudebouy: 10:50pm On Jul 19, 2015
netotse:

The 3 billion is an estimate for a gas plant, the rule of thumb is 1 million USD per MW

Okay. Sori I didnt see dat earlier. But how abt expanding an already existing gas power plant from a 100MW capacity to 3,000MW? Is it going to be at the same cost? Wont private investors be interested in such expansion projects?

Besides, why would a gas power plant be cheaper dan a hydro power plant?
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by netotse(m): 10:54pm On Jul 19, 2015
temi4fash:

Snet u a mail a while back.. hope u got it

sorry about that...will look for it
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by netotse(m): 11:01pm On Jul 19, 2015
rudebouy:

Okay. Sori I didnt see dat earlier. But how abt expanding an already existing gas power plant from a 100MW capacity to 3,000MW? Is it going to be at the same cost? Wont private investors be interested in such expansion projects?

Besides, why would a gas power plant be cheaper dan a hydro power plant?

100MW to 3000MW? it's practically the same thing as going greenfield so yeah the costs should be the same...investors are interested in returns, what's the payback period? what tariff will you get in your PPA? etc etc, greenfield or brownfield isn't all that important.

Have you seen a dam before? the amount of concrete you need to build one isn't beans o...plus the environmental impact assessment for a dam isn't a cake walk, it takes years to study the rainfall and potential effects your reservoir will have on the surroundings.
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by rudebouy: 11:15pm On Jul 19, 2015
netotse:

100MW to 3000MW? it's practically the same thing as going greenfield so yeah the costs should be the same...investors are interested in returns, what's the payback period? what tariff will you get in your PPA? etc etc, greenfield or brownfield isn't all that important.

Have you seen a dam before? the amount of concrete you need to build one isn't beans o...plus the environmental impact assessment for a dam isn't a cake walk, it takes years to study the rainfall and potential effects your reservoir will have on the surroundings.

Na wa oh! And I tot I knew sth abt power. Bros abeg ur d boss. On dis day, I annoint you as my professor on power affairs.

Why Buhari no get ppl like you as him advisers sef?
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by rudebouy: 11:24pm On Jul 19, 2015
netotse:

Okay, wot abt a 3,000 MW solar power plant? Is dat going to be impossible also?
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by netotse(m): 11:27pm On Jul 19, 2015
rudebouy:

Na wa oh! And I tot I knew sth abt power. Bros abeg ur d boss. On dis day, I annoint you as my professor on power affairs.

Why Buhari no get ppl like you as him advisers sef?

Naahhhh...I'm still learning work. I started out with transmission, learnt you can't have transmission without generation so I learnt a bit about generation, learnt you can't have generation without fuels so I started to learn a bit about gas and other fuels...also have had to learn a bit about finance because that's important. I'm just a power junke cheesy, when the bosses arrive you will be complexed. I'm a couple of years away from boss status.
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by netotse(m): 11:29pm On Jul 19, 2015
rudebouy:

Okay, wot abt a 3,000 MW solar power plant? Is dat going to be impossible also?

Technically nothing is impossible, the limitation I can see immediately is the land requirement, something of that scale might be better as CSP than photovoltaic.
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by rudebouy: 11:38pm On Jul 19, 2015
netotse:

Technically nothing is impossible, the limitation I can see immediately is the land requirement, something of that scale might be better as CSP than photovoltaic.

I heard solar power will be very cheap in the future?

Do solar panels generate power during rainy seasons like we are in now, say from June to August when we have high and frequent rainfall?
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by rudebouy: 10:21pm On Jul 20, 2015
netotse:

Tisha! U didnt ansa my question abt solar panels.
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by netotse(m): 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2015
rudebouy:

I heard solar power will be very cheap in the future?

Do solar panels generate power during rainy seasons like we are in now, say from June to August when we have high and frequent rainfall?

rudebouy:

rudebouy:

No vex...during the rainy seasons you will likely have fewer hours of useful sunlight so the amount of energy available will reduce. It's not as simple as ABC though. An internet search for solar panels rainy season will give you a ton of info on the matter let me not jam talk...Lol smiley
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by alice915: 7:03am On Jul 21, 2015
Establishment of such a plant and to build a solar plant What is the difference
Re: How Buhari Can Solve Naija's Power Problem In 4 Years. by temi4fash(m): 10:12pm On Aug 04, 2015
netotse:

sorry about that...will look for it

Sent another one

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did Nzeogwu Never Tell Obasunjo About The Coup He Was Planning? / Blacks Will Always Be Slaves By Dee Lee / Breaking News: Buhari Appoints New Efcc Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.