Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,665 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

Is Hell Real? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Hell Real? (968 Views)

Is Hell Real? What The Bible Says About Hell / Is Hell Real Or Is It Just Used To Keep People Under Control? / Is Heaven And Hell Real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Hell Real? by piplord1(m): 1:33am On Feb 08, 2009
is that awful place called hell real or is it some scary bedtiime story? i am not really a believing man and data and facts are important to me. is hell real? if true, wats the proof?
Re: Is Hell Real? by rubi(f): 1:42am On Feb 08, 2009
hell is real. The bible says in Revelation books were opened if your name is not found in the book of life the person shall be cast into the lake of fire
Re: Is Hell Real? by MrCrackles(m): 1:45am On Feb 08, 2009
Uhmm nor try am oo
U see the fire wey dey burn for earth, na only 1%!!
And i am sure u dare not stick your fingers into fire on earth, so beware
! cheesy
Re: Is Hell Real? by ttalks(m): 5:02pm On Feb 08, 2009
Hell is real and has a two sided description:
1. Hell is the place of the dead, the departed souls. It is called hades, sheol or the grave in the different translations of the bible.
2. Also, hell is refered to as the place of punishment for the wicked after they die.

The good people go to the place of the departed souls while the wicked go to the place of torment/punishment.

This is evident in:

Acts 2:31
(31)  He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

- the hell here refers to the place of the departed souls; Hades,where the good go when they die.

Luke 16:20-23
(20)  And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
(21)  And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
(22)  And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
(23)  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

- the hell here refers to the part where the wicked go; a place of torment.

Hell is a place with two sides: the place for the good/righteous departed souls who await the 2nd coming of Christ; and the place of torment for the wicked departed souls.   
So, it is safe to conclude that there is a place for the righteous in hell and a place for the wicked in hell.
This is evident in:

Luke 16:19-26
(19)  There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
(20)  And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
(21)  And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
(22)  And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
(23)  And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
(24)  And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
(25)  But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
(26) And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

The place of the righteous is seperated from the place of the wicked by a great gulf. Hence, the same place but seperated so that one side is a place of comfort while the other is a place of torment.

This defeats the theory of the word of faith teachers that say Christ went to hell to be tormented before he resurrected.Christ was in the righteous part of Hell(Sheoul,Hades);the place of the good departed souls, he was never in the place of torment.

Also, Hell is not the Lake of Fire. The lake of fire is the second death. Hell is the place of the first and normal death for humans;righteous and wicked; each having their designated portions: either comfortable or tormented. The lake of fire is the 2nd death which is only available to the wicked(those whose names are not found in the book of life); the righteous(those in the book of life) in the comfortable part of hell get the completeness of salvation.
This is evident in:

Revelation 20:13-15
(13)  And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
(14)  And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
(15)  And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

"Death and hell were cast into the lake of fire" as shown above; clearly showing that hell is not the same thing as the lake of fire.

So, what the wicked should be expecting is a two fold punishment; one in the torment portion of hell and then the second in the lake of fire.
Re: Is Hell Real? by Bobbyaf(m): 6:58pm On Feb 08, 2009
@ Pip lord

is that awful place called hell real or is it some scary bedtiime story? i am not really a believing man and data and facts are important to me. is hell real? if true, wats the proof?

To be honest pip, there are a lot of misunderstandings among Christians as to what hell is, but one thing is certain hell was made for the devil and his angels, but will only include humans who choose to follow Satan's ways.

I believe based on biblical teachings that the burning hell that the bible speaks of doesn't take place until after the 1000 years spoken of in Revelation 20 is complete.

The 1000 years fall between the 1st and 2nd resurrections. The 2nd resurrection is for the wicked dead, while the 1st is for the righteous dead.

Revelation 20:4-6 describe the scene in this manner, "4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years."

Here John speaks about those who went to heaven, obviously the redeemed, but in verse 5 he speaks about the rest of the dead not coming back to life until after the 1000 years were ended. It is these persons that will rise again to face the white throne judgement, and ultimately the lake of fire.

Notice Revelation 20:7-9, "7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, 8 And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog, and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. 9 And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them."

What most do not understand is that Satan was bound in the sense that he had no one to tempt during the 1000 years, and the logical question is why? The bible has the answers if you take time to study it pages. When Christ returns "the dead in Christ will rise first, " and they will join the living righteous in going to heaven according to the apostle Paul, 15 "For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. 16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

The living wicked will be struck dead by the brightness and glory of Christ's second return, and their bodies will lie across the entire earth where they were when Jesus returned. The wicked dead will remain in the grave until after 1000 years after the 1st resurrection of the righteous.

This is why the earth will once again become uninhabited during the 1000 years leaving Satan bound with circumstances not in his favor. Satan and his angels will go on vacation for 1000 years to contemplate their fate, and to view the earth in its broken down state referred to in Revelation 20:2-3 "And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, 3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season."

The bottom less pit mentioned here is not some deep hole where Satan will be thrown in as some believe. The phrase "bottomless pit" is used to describe the earth in its uninhabitable state, because of the destruction that occurs when Jesus and His angels return to earth the 2nd time. The earth will be broken up according to several bible passages, and I will give you a few below.

Revelation 6:14-17 say, "14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. 15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains; 16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb: 17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?"

Jeremiah 4:23-27 predict, "23 I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was without form, and void; and the heavens, and they had no light. 24 I beheld the mountains, and, lo, they trembled, and all the hills moved lightly. 25 I beheld, and, lo, there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens were fled. 26 I beheld, and, lo, the fruitful place was a wilderness, and all the cities thereof were broken down at the presence of the LORD, and by his fierce anger. 27 For thus hath the LORD said, The whole land shall be desolate; yet will I not make a full end."

Isaiah 24:1-3 predict, "1 Behold, the LORD maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof. 2 And it shall be, as with the people, so with the priest; as with the servant, so with his master; as with the maid, so with her mistress; as with the buyer, so with the seller; as with the lender, so with the borrower; as with the taker of usury, so with the giver of usury to him. 3 The land shall be utterly emptied, and utterly spoiled: for the LORD hath spoken this word."

From these passages its obvious that the day of the LORD is the actual return of Jesus Christ. Even Matthew describes the coming with these words, "30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."

That power that is described will be no ordinary power.

So in essence hell will occur after the wicked are raised and shown their fate, and that will happen only after the 1000 years are ended, and not before.

Listen to me carefully. No wicked person goes to hell after death, and neither do the righteous go to heaven after death. Everyone awaits their resurrection. For the righteous its the first resurrection, and for the wicked its the 2nd.

Hell is when God pours or rains down fire from heaven upon Satan, his angels, and all the wicked who chose to follow him. So in essence the whole earth will be set ablaze, while God and His people watch from the fire-proof Jerusalem which descends from heaven and is suspended over the earth.
Re: Is Hell Real? by Horus(m): 11:17am On Feb 09, 2009
Hell is a fabrication.The concept of hell is something that was created in the hearts and minds of the authors of your Bible and Koran. Before you were informed of what and where hell was, it never crossed your mind to even think about it. So, within the pages of your scriptures hell was born. Just as a God could not exist without the devil, heaven could not exist if there wasn’t a hell.So where did hell come from? It didn’t exist in Adam’s, Noah’s, nor Abraham’s time. It is something that was fabricated so that they could capitalize off of your fear.
Re: Is Hell Real? by AdamBrody1(m): 3:09pm On Feb 09, 2009
Hell used to be real until Fashola destroyed Oshodi!

I wonder where all the demons have gone to now

Maybe they have relocated Hell to Mushin grin
Re: Is Hell Real? by Bobbyaf(m): 4:23pm On Feb 09, 2009
@ Horus

Hell is a fabrication.The concept of hell is something that was created in the hearts and minds of the authors of your Bible and Koran. Before you were informed of what and where hell was, it never crossed your mind to even think about it. So, within the pages of your scriptures hell was born. Just as a God could not exist without the devil, heaven could not exist if there wasn’t a hell.So where did hell come from? It didn’t exist in Adam’s, Noah’s, nor Abraham’s time. It is something that was fabricated so that they could capitalize off of your fear.

This is too weak an argument. It sounds as if you just fabricated this argument.
Re: Is Hell Real? by Horus(m): 10:30am On Feb 10, 2009
Bobbyaf:

@ Horus

This is too weak an argument. It sounds as if you just fabricated this argument.

I do not use argument but Facts.Where is your hell?. It sounds as if you just fabricated your hell. Where is located your hell?,maybe in your gullible mind?
Re: Is Hell Real? by manmustwac(m): 7:40pm On Feb 10, 2009
rubi:

hell is real. The bible says in Revelation books were opened if your name is not found in the book of life the person shall be cast into the lake of fire
Hell is real coz it says so in your Bible abi? Why dosen't the Bible give directions {like a roadmap} on how to get to Hell? Or dose it just exist in your imagination?
Re: Is Hell Real? by LightSon(m): 12:07pm On Feb 13, 2009
Re: Is Hell Real? by benedictac(f): 4:19pm On Feb 20, 2009
HELL IS REAL
Re: Is Hell Real? by jagunlabi(m): 5:01pm On Feb 20, 2009
Hmmm!The HELL EVANGELIST!Preach it,brother!You are doing a fine job for satan. grin cheesy
benedictac:

HELL IS REAL

(1) (Reply)

Xmas Day Calamity Near Suleja. / Is Jesus The Only Way? / Shina Rambo- Former Armed Robber- Returns.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.