Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,414 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% (22498 Views)

2016 Budget: Presidency, National Assembly Agree / Buhari Moves To Slash Own Salary, Allowance. / Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, N / Assembly Expenses By 50% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by wachakuta(m): 9:38pm On May 11, 2015
KANO – MEMBER-ELECT, House of Representatives, Gaya,/Ajingi/Albasu federal constituency, Abdullahi Mahmud Gaya, has called on the President elect, Muhammadu Buhari to slash 50% expenses of the presidency and National Assembly expenses to garner enough resources to execute capital projects.

Briefing Reporters in Kano, Monday, Gaya, urged all his colleagues to show understanding and sacrifice to take the country forward.

The erstwhile Kano Commissioner of Finance, said “In my opinion I think it will be better for all the elected representatives, beginning from Mr President to membes of parliament, to Ministers, other Advisors and special assistants to demonstrate understanding and sacrifice agree to 50% salary cut” he called.

He said “Since we believe the country needs positive change we should therfore accept it as such. The slash in the expenses should continue till when our dear nation gets to execute capital projects. May be from the time we were inaugurated to another two years,” he insisted.

Gaya further emphasised that, they were all elected to change the trend if the federal government expenses for better. “As it is obtained now 75% of the national budget goes to recurrent expenditure and the remaining 25% goes to capital expenditure. We should not accept this if we really have the county ay heart, ” Gaya challenged profusely.
He stressed that the spending at the Presidential Villa, should also be slashed for the meantime. “So that we get something to work with,” he said.

He also stated that, if Nigeria could copy from Kano state, where leakages were stopped, the in-coming administration of Buhari could get mote resources to work with.

“In Kano state the public treasury is being guarded and guided jealously with care and accountability, which resulted into a disciplined fiscal responsibility. Buhari and all other representatives should copy from Kano,”.

“In our budget in Kano, we spend 75% in capital expenditure while only 25% goes to recurrent spending,” Gaya posits.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/buhari-urged-to-slash-presidency-n-assembly-expenses-by-50/

14 Likes

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by ericiland: 9:39pm On May 11, 2015
it would b a Welc development if he can influence d Nat. Assem to cut their pay.........hop dis is nt too much effect of Kunu frm Baba one chance.....lets wait n hear frm Mr lie lai n other APC camp as speculation.

GEJ my HERO, FAYOSE my ROLE
MODEL..........temitemi1(nairaland 2015)

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by ki02020(m): 9:40pm On May 11, 2015
It will be a great idea but he has to pasuade the lawmakers to make amend to the poor constitution that makes them unecessarily rich

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by DickDastardly(m): 9:40pm On May 11, 2015
sad
Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by abduljabbar4(m): 9:43pm On May 11, 2015
What's my business if this will not affect my salary?
Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by wwwbabe(f): 9:45pm On May 11, 2015
talk is very cheap.
though l dont know u

but if buhari does that he will forever remain d best

14 Likes

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by major466(m): 9:56pm On May 11, 2015
Except a deliberate legislation by legislators themselves is drafted to reduce salary expensies of legislators, there's no way Buhari can go out of his way to reduce National Assembly Members salaries without risking constitutional battle. The National assembly is an independent arm of government, not an appendage of the executive.
For now, the President has no powers to slash salaries of National Assembly members.

19 Likes

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by freshness2020: 10:01pm On May 11, 2015
Yea
Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by elantraceey(f): 10:08pm On May 11, 2015
Please he should do that and make it as low as possible , it will definitely reduced the fight for those positions when its less enticing .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by lyntiffany(f): 10:52pm On May 11, 2015
would be glad if he carries that out but as major466 has rightly mentioned it will be a hard task for him but wish he can accomplish that cause those money mongrels are one of the reasons our country is still this way.
So much to squander on them with little or no input from them.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by major466(m): 11:10pm On May 11, 2015
lyntiffany:
would be glad if he carries that out but as major466 has rightly mentioned it will be a hard task for him but wish he can accomplish that cause those money mongrels are one of the reasons our country is still this way.
So much to squander on them with little or no input from them.
If Nigerians of all walks of life rally round to demand National Assembly members cut down their salary packages, am sure they will heed to the call.
Its the duty of all Nigerians to hold their lawmakers responsible.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by lyntiffany(f): 11:19pm On May 11, 2015
major466:

If Nigerians of all walks of life rally round to demand National Assembly members cut down their salary packages, am sure they will heed to the call.
Its the duty of all Nigerians to hold their lawmakers responsible.
yes major I concur, your absolutely right about that but who and who is gonaa do that?
The likes of ezekwesili that should steer something of this nature is busy chasing shadows.
My opinion though.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by boman2014: 11:35pm On May 11, 2015
ericiland:
it would b a Welc development if he can influence d Nat. Assem to cut their pay.........hop dis is nt too much effect of Kunu frm Baba one chance.....lets wait n hear frm Mr lie lai n other APC camp as speculation.

GEJ my HERO, FAYOSE my ROLE
MODEL..........temitemi1(nairaland 2015)
HERE COMES ANOTHER SYCHO!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by major466(m): 11:40pm On May 11, 2015
lyntiffany:
yes major I concur, your absolutely right about that but who and who is gonaa do that?
The likes of ezekwesili that should steer something of this nature is busy chasing shadows.
My opinion though.
We Nigerians can sponsor bills to the National Assembly. Something like 'Bill seeking for Reduction of Salaries of National Assembly members'.
You got that right. The likes of EzekweSilly is just pained because she was left out of GEJ's government.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by lyntiffany(f): 11:51pm On May 11, 2015
major466:

We Nigerians can sponsor bills to the National Assembly. Something like 'Bill seeking for Reduction of Salaries of National Assembly members'.
You got that right. The likes of EzekweSilly is just pained because she was left out of GEJ's government.
yea I did thanks.
Looking forward to that if we can pull that off it will be a nice one from we the masses.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by rhotimee(m): 12:05am On May 12, 2015
Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by driand(m): 1:23am On May 12, 2015
Good
Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by IamPatriotic(m): 3:36am On May 12, 2015
abduljabbar4:
What's my business if this will not affect my salary?
stop lying, you earn no salary.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by 7footre(m): 4:03am On May 12, 2015
A lot of these newly elected legislative members have been singing this same tune! I hope they grow some balls and actually do something about it when they get inaugurated....... I pray it's not business as usual as we are on d brink right about now

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by mensdept: 5:37am On May 12, 2015
They need to slash the number of states and number of stupid senators and legislators, beginning with the useless Abia state and senate-elect Orji.

If not, these rogues will continue to destroy this part of the world and the people are too local to do anything about it

1 Like

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by detiosa(m): 6:47am On May 12, 2015
no mata wetin him do naira no fit equal dollar grin
Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by jazinogold(m): 7:37am On May 12, 2015
let's wait n see.....

Five Reasons why you should vote TRYPA for Miss Nairaland 2015..... T -- She's Trustworthy

R---- she's Responsible

Y ---- she's Young and Youthful

P ---- she has a Positive mindset

A ----- she's affectionate nairaland.com/trypa
Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by otr1(m): 7:48am On May 12, 2015
At this rate, we have to constitutionalize the ratio of the budget that goes to recurrent and capital spendings. Recurrent expenditure shouldn't be beyond 30% of the budget.
It's for our own good.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by okooloyun1(m): 8:02am On May 12, 2015
Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by RobinHez(m): 8:03am On May 12, 2015
The same lawmakers would need to approve it before it can materialize...so tell me, would they?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Urged To Slash Presidency, National Assembly Expenses By 50% by RobinHez(m): 8:04am On May 12, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

INEC Declares Ohuabunwa Winner Of Abia-North Senatorial Rerun / Food Prices Dropping Fast As Buhari's Agric Efforts Yield Fruit. / Buhari Declines Assent To Maritime University Bill, One Other

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.