Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:25 AM

Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved (12788 Views)

Ohaneze Ndi-Igbo Youth Movement Backs Saraki - (photo) / Buratai Arrests Soldiers Involved In Benue Killings, Hands Them Over To NHRC / If You Did Not Get Involved In 80% Of This, You Wasted Your Child Hood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by cvibe: 6:50pm On Feb 12, 2009
Gamine, sitting and watching on the fence don't solve anything. If you put in your own effort, it should count towards something.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by Gamine(f): 6:53pm On Feb 12, 2009
Because im not joining your committee doesnt mean im not involved in other projects. . .

FGS! undecided
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by beneli(m): 6:58pm On Feb 12, 2009
Gamine:

Yeah, im waiting to see

You guys are not the first to set up a "committee"

i would just like to see how serious you people are. . .thats all

There are no 'you guys' or 'you people' here!

You should personalise your sentence and see how it sounds. Everybody signing on to the movement (not just any other committee as you call it) are peopel who are tired of the status quo and have realised that it's no longer about 'others', and that we all need to become part of the change process.

If you are not tired of the embarrasment that constitutes present day Nigeria, i am. I am also tired of 'running away' and giving excuses for our failure.

We all want a change and that's what i believe the spirit of this movement is-a spirit of shared yet equal responsibility in getting our nation on the track to development. We are tired of complaining and want to do something about it!

Stop doubting!
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by Gamine(f): 7:03pm On Feb 12, 2009
Oh, im sorry that you just got tired oh. . .carry go undecided
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On Feb 12, 2009
Hey @Gamine, do you mind emailing me please!!
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by Gamine(f): 7:11pm On Feb 12, 2009
oh ok.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by BOSS7: 7:22pm On Feb 12, 2009
@ Gamine

You don't have to join but could you please desist from knocking us? If we succeed it's our business likewise if our efforts get frustrated. So if you can't say something positive, stay away.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by SamMilla1(m): 8:54pm On Feb 12, 2009
What is this gamine this and that here, Let the girl be please.
She is voicing out her concern about the strength of previous committees.
Her words can only add to the zeal to succeed.
It doesn't mean that she doesn't have the interest of the nation at heart as well.
She will join the movement.
I am sure she will join the movement when she eventually finds out the forces and desires behind the concept.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by SamMilla1(m): 10:26pm On Feb 12, 2009
We are trying to form a formidable movement that can be able to effect positive changes in the governance system of our beloved Nation.
What we need to do is not the question because we all know what we need to do.
If we are willing to do it is not a question for us as well because we cannot be wasting our time here everyday discussing what we don't want to do.
The question now is can we do it and how we are going to do it.

This movement was not formed by some people years ago, it is being formed as you read this article.
This movement is not a part of any political party,
it's part of the ideas of you and me as members of the movement.

So ladies and gentlemen,

HOW DO WE LET THE GENERAL PUBLIC KNOW WHAT WE ARE ATTEMPTING TO DO.

The major reason why Barack Obama won the Presidential election is because he uses the internet more than his opponents. Now we have that to our advantage.
He was able to reach out to millions of Americans online.
The reason for this article is to ask every Nigerian in every state to get ready.
The time has come.
I used to sit down and think that a Messiah will come to save Nigeria from the political doom that is looming over our future. Now i know that Messiah could be you or me.
It could be any one of those people who are hungry for the happiness of others.
We must not forever depend on foreign universities to get good masters degrees.
We must not depend on European and Chinese made generators to power our residents while the alternative is far more better and easier. We must as a matter of fact, take full control of the situation.

Therefore I need about four people from each Nigerian state to be working with me on the awareness and publicity sector. We will hold meetings now and then and plan on how to spread the messages and information we get from other sectors.
We will also have the responsibility of writing articles and posting it online to different Nigerian media websites.
Every article we will post to any other website in the name of publicity must pass through and approved by the awareness committee. We must be coordinated.
We will come up with many names of sites we will post our articles.
We will contact some transparent organizations in Nigeria as well.
We may also involve some foreign bodies but that will be pending for now.
Any positive suggestion on the awareness issue will be welcomed.
Lets Join our Hands together and achieve something good before we leave this world.
''It is better to be remembered by the good things we did for other people than the good things did for us''

If you think you can help to create awareness and publicity in your own state, send me your name and your state to

misolar24@yahoo.com or go to our temporal forum and make a post under the awareness section
                -sam milla
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by amosexy: 10:41pm On Feb 12, 2009
Can We All Remain Incorruptible?
Like most people of my age group, I am nauseated by the epidemic proportions corruption has acquired in Nigeria. It is literally under every stone you turn." It is also in every alley you turn into, every nook and cranny you might care to peep into. It happens as much in broad daylight as it does behind closed doors. It is as much a part of my life as it is of yours.
"Corruption is the symptom of a disease that has as its progenitors over-centralization of power, non-transparency in all government functions and lack of accountability." Corruption thrives on opacity. Corruption has thus become a way of life in Nigeria, one which existing governments neither wish to, nor can, control. Combating corruption requires a popular participatory democracy able to monitor and hold to account those in charge of the state and the treasury
Anticorruption campaigns from the top of a one-party system only amount to trimming tree branches that will grow back under another regime. Corruption must be attacked at its roots, which requires an active democratic culture of all nigerians. We either become extremely moral, lambasting all those who indulge in it, or we are resigned to it being a part of life. Just this once, let's make an effort to actually care and more than that, to explore the avenues of action available to us to eradicate it.

The following list contains the institutions perceived as the most corrupt in Nigeria.
Rating Institution
1 Nigerian Police
2 Political Parties
3 National and State Assemblies
4 Local and Municipal Governments
5 Federal and State Executive Councils
6 Traffic police and FRSC
7 PHCN

We might begin by asking ourselves: Am I incorruptible? If an opportunity comes my way, would I desist? It is easy to be a person of steadfast integrity until a temptation presents itself. What if,  will I,  may be,  only if nobody got to know,  only if I needed the money for something urgent,  only if it were a life-and-death matter, Can we all remain incorruptible?

NDM-Get Involved
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by Nobody: 12:06am On Feb 13, 2009
@sam milla, i'll to also be a part of the awareness commitee as i am already a part of the Education sector, that means more devotion and work 4 me, Provided that my quota contribution would add effect to d change we need, smiley
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by kzo0509: 12:11am On Feb 13, 2009
this a good concept, am in, cheers
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by SkyBlue1: 12:20am On Feb 13, 2009
kzo0509:

this a good concept, am in, cheers

Steps:

A - Add your name to the list on this thread
B - email us at ndmnigeria@gmail.com
C - Join a committee

Simple as ABC

Get Involved
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by SamMilla1(m): 12:51am On Feb 13, 2009
brein:

@sam milla, i'll to also be a part of the awareness commitee as i am already a part of the Education sector, that means more devotion and work 4 me, Provided that my quota contribution would add effect to d change we need, smiley

welcome brein, send me a mail and we ll talk about it
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by SkyBlue1: 10:28am On Feb 13, 2009
So far from nairaland there are about 15 people who have registered and selected committees and the list on nairaland has over 30 names. It is already friday so I hope we aren't trying to use "Nigerian of African time" whereby everything is left to the last minute, so please you are encouraged to join committees because that is where the work is done so that this goes beyond just paying lip service. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by fe32(m): 10:51am On Feb 13, 2009
fe32, i'm in for special projects
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by abbywax(m): 11:14am On Feb 13, 2009
There is so much bad news coming out of our dear country that most Nigerians have completely lost hope. As a Nigerian I know there are a lot of positive things happening in that country but nobody focuses on it. Maybe we should set up a Wiki where people can upload positive stories about Nigeria. A South African set up a site ( http://www.sagoodnews.co.za/fast_facts_and_quick_stats/index.html ) to counter all the negative publicity about SA ahead of the world cup. I know Nigerians hate everything South African (naturally), but I think we should look at doing something similar.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by proudly9ja(m): 11:21am On Feb 13, 2009
What does Special Project mean to u?

Have u seen kids with no books, no chairs and desks in their classrooms?

What about orphanages? Ever seen the inside of these places,
How about water? do u know how far some pple have to go to get water?
Now, I got you thinking, right? Yes, thats the idea.

Aint you tired of the way Nigeria and Nigerians are viewed outside Nigeria? Have you ever been maltreated at ports the moment you tender your green passport?

Or have you noticed the way your foreigners suddenly become cautious the moment you tell them you are a Nigerian?

What is worse, is it not distasteful that even we, Nigerians look down and talk down about our country? Believing that nothing good has come out and will come of the largest black Nation in the world? Meanwhile, forgetting that that same country produced the likes of Wole Soyinka (Nobel Prize winner), Chinua Achebe (who is celebrated around the world), Phillip Emeagwali (a man CNN called the father of the Internet and Bill Clinton called Africa's Bill Gates) and many much more.

Special Projects' aim is to showcase the beauty of the Nigerian and Nigerians themselves. We will make Nigerians love Nigeria first, then make the rest of the world see the good in us using various means while tackling the some of the situations highlighted above.

No matter where you are, no matter your age, occupation, or your level of education, your Country needs you and Special Projects is waiting to help you do your bit in taking our Country to where we belong.

We must understand, that the job of placing Nigeria on that high pedestal where we belong, begins with us, Nigerians, no matter where we are around the world. We owe it to the generaion to come so that when it time for us to pass the baton, we will be proud of the effort we have made and we will also have the moral justification to ask them to put in their best, just as we have.

So, what are you waiting for? Get Involved!

NDM - Get Invoved
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by proudly9ja(m): 11:23am On Feb 13, 2009
fe32:

fe32, i'm in for special projects

Thanks for your interest. Could you please follow the ABC rule if you have not? And if you have already, see you on Sunday!
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by beneli(m): 11:50am On Feb 13, 2009
proudly9ja:

No matter where you are, no matter your age, occupation, or your level of education, your Country needs you   

We must understand, that the job of placing Nigeria on that high pedestal where we belong, begins with us, Nigerians, no matter where we are around the world. We owe it to the generaion to come so that when it time for us to pass the baton, we will be proud of the effort we have made and we will also have the moral justification to ask them to put in their best, just as we have.

NDM - Get Invoved

I don't know if i'm becoming senile or something, but reading those words make me want to reach for my hanky!
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by SkyBlue1: 1:25pm On Feb 13, 2009
abbywax:

There is so much bad news coming out of our dear country that most Nigerians have completely lost hope. As a Nigerian I know there are a lot of positive things happening in that country but nobody focuses on it. Maybe we should set up a Wiki where people can upload positive stories about Nigeria. A South African set up a site ( http://www.sagoodnews.co.za/fast_facts_and_quick_stats/index.html ) to counter all the negative publicity about SA ahead of the world cup. I know Nigerians hate everything South African (naturally), but I think we should look at doing something similar.

Interesting premise and perhaps the awareness and media committee might be interested in such. However speaking for myself, i personally have no problem with providing people with information like projects happening in Nigeria, developments, etc, and basically keeping people informed and providing possible investors with information on investmenet possibilities in the country since the Nigerian government and businesses seem to have a phobia of providing people with detailed information on development happening on the ground. However I do have a problem with us going out of our way to paint Nigeria rosy when it isn't. Perhaps the reason why a lot of bad news comes out of Nigeria is because Nigeria genuinely generates a lot of bad news and fixing some of the ills will hence lead to - less bad news? I do however see what you are getting at and the awareness committee is the committee dealing with information and one of the issues raised was image laundering. You are free to make your contribution and if you are genuinely interested in working towards such then by all means please - Get Involved.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by Eziachi: 4:47pm On Feb 13, 2009
Xavier.:

BOSS

U can't hold a cow by the horn when someone else is milking it. Get rid of those milking the country dry first, then we can talk of developing it.

U want constant electricity, the generals importing generators would fight u till u give up

U want to eradicate violence in the Niger Delta, the oil bunkers and their Chinesse and Russian friends would fight u to a finish

U want to educate the youths in Northern Nigeria and stamp out begging, the governors and politicians would do all they can to stop u. These guys are their political thugs

U want to stop the importation of fake drugs, then get ready to do battle with Aba Mafia

U want to stop God-fatherism in our politics, then be prepared to war with the likes of OBJ, Annenih, Igbinedion etc

U want to rehabilitate the street urchins in Lagos, get ready to confront their god fathers in the senate and house of assembly

The country would continue in its present still of stagnancy unless fundamental issues are addressed. These issues would not be addressed by a development movement, hell no.

Or u think the likes Dimeji Bankole, Iyabo Obasanjo, Yar dua, Bukola Saraki, Igbinedion ect who like the idea of putting an end to pass me down ploitics (politics of having bad leadership passed on from father to son)?

The question then is what can be done? God knows I dont know, cos the problem with the country is multifarious and deep rooted.

Do we then fold our hands and watch as the country go on decaying? Answer is no.

As for me, I ll keep praying to my Maker for Divine intervention and keep inproving myself as much as possible and also help educate as many youth as i can. Maybe someday God would hear our cry and send down help.

Admire your faith in prayers but all prayers must be realistic before you expect an answer, as you will be wasting your time praying for an ocean in the middle of Sahara desert. We all knew what Nigerian problem is and how we can instantly solve or at least halve it, but we had continued to ignore it, asking for divine help instead and forming meaningless development movements to no avail.

Nigeria is a country of nations that are too much apart in everything you can think of. Horribly divided and loved to hate each other and this elements formed the foundation of Nigeria, that you cannot lay your hand on anything positive in our past history to go back on as the basis for a change.
Americans will positivelyand often invokes their founding fathers when things are bad. Can we do the same? when our own founding fathers are the ones that laid the seed of what the children are reaping today.

I have said this, time without numbers that, you cannot use a similar method all the time and expect a different outcome.
Nigeria is too big, divided and different to exist as a unitary state as obtained today,  even though they still blindly calls themselves a federation.

For a start, we had to revisit Aburi or Addis Ababa accord- Nigeria should be confederated into Arewa, Biafra, Delta and Oduduwa.
And let each confederate unit figure out the type of govt and life they wish to live. The type of economy they will like to pursue. Let us then have a Nigerian Union of these four confederate nations.

Some have argued that it's the same people dominating Nigeria today that will take over their confederate states.
Maybe yes, but let each group now be a burden on their own people and let their own people figure out how to deal with their own leaders without the usual accusation of tribalism injected in between that had allowed rogues to get away for the past 50 years.
If one of the confederate states managed to breaks from the norm and make progress, it might be what others needed to kick them on their backside to start competing.
But today, what we got is collective failure.
There is nothing that bring the best in man and progress than competition for success.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by asha80(m): 4:51pm On Feb 13, 2009
@Eziachi

Always straight and direct no pretences  grin .My kind of man.No beating around the bush.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by BOSS7: 4:58pm On Feb 13, 2009
@ Eziachi

Very fair assessment by Eziachi and to be honest, I was expecting the kind of faux-pessimism even before I delved into his response. The mere fact that we are still a nation, and your tantrums cannot divide Nigeria, we will do our best to offer bits of charity and education to the people we think deserve it.

Until then, Eziachi, carry your Biafra go. This is not the thread for that. Don’t educate me on your devious beliefs because I’ll rather do what I think is right in the stipulation I find myself than try to re-enact a state to suit myself event hough I know I cannot command the powers that be.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by Eziachi: 5:24pm On Feb 13, 2009
B.O.S.S.:

@ Eziachi

Very fair assessment by Eziachi and to be honest, I was expecting the kind of faux-pessimism even before I delved into his response. The mere fact that we are still a nation, and your tantrums cannot divide Nigeria, we will do our best to offer bits of charity and education to the people we think deserve it.

Until then, Eziachi, carry your Biafra go. This is not the thread for that. Don’t educate me on your devious beliefs because I’ll rather do what I think is right in the stipulation I find myself than try to re-enact a state to suit myself event hough I know I cannot command the powers that be.

I am sorry that I am not in the league of those that talk of problems without offering solution. I had offered a solution I believed that will help us, you poured cold water on it and called my assessment a tantrum or dividing Nigeria as if Nigeria is united, that I am going to divide.

I can't see how your internet based development movement will solve our problem that exist in their legions.
If Biafra is word that make you mad, we can adopt your name and call it BOSS.
If you realistically have a better option than mine, then lets hear it. But if your solution and believes are still the same old sidon look, pray for divine intervention or forming meaningless movements, then carry go too.
One thing is obvious, you never said that my solution was bad, just using the same old spread of fear------DIVIDING NIGERIA (How can anyone divide something that is already in pieces?)
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by asha80(m): 5:28pm On Feb 13, 2009
Why is that nigerians are more interested in solving THE EFFECT OF A CAUSE and not THE CAUSE OF THE EFFECT?
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by Eziachi: 5:35pm On Feb 13, 2009
asha 80:

Why is that nigerians are more interested in solving THE EFFECT OF A CAUSE and not THE CAUSE OF THE EFFECT?

Exactly!!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by amosexy: 5:52pm On Feb 13, 2009
asha 80:

Thank God we now have somebody that can proffer solution  to "THE CAUSE OF THE EFFECT", o ya now, Mr lectural lecture us oooo.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by asha80(m): 6:01pm On Feb 13, 2009
Thank go we now have somebody that can proffer solution  to "THE CAUSE OF THE EFFECT", o ya now, Mr lectural lecture us oooo.

Until nigerians have collectively agreed on the foundation and structure of how they are going to live and exist in the geographical area of nigeria then we can continue to try to solve the effect of shying away from these root issues.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by beneli(m): 6:34pm On Feb 13, 2009
[/quote][quote author=Eziachi link=topic=230880.msg3465980#msg3465980 date=1234540039]

Nigeria is a country of nations that are too much apart in everything you can think of. Horribly divided and loved to hate each other and this elements formed the foundation of Nigeria, that you cannot lay your hand on anything positive in our past history to go back on as the basis for a change.
Americans will positivelyand often invokes their founding fathers when things are bad. Can we do the same? when our own founding fathers are the ones that laid the seed of what the children are reaping today.

I have said this, time without numbers that, you cannot use a similar method all the time and expect a different outcome.
Nigeria is too big, divided and different to exist as a unitary state as obtained today,  even though they still blindly calls themselves a federation.

For a start, we had to revisit Aburi or Addis Ababa accord- Nigeria should be confederated into Arewa, Biafra, Delta and Oduduwa.
And let each confederate unit figure out the type of govt and life they wish to live. The type of economy they will like to pursue. Let us then have a Nigerian Union of these four confederate nations.

Some have argued that it's the same people dominating Nigeria today that will take over their confederate states.
Maybe yes, but let each group now be a burden on their own people and let their own people figure out how to deal with their own leaders without the usual accusation of tribalism injected in between that had allowed rogues to get away for the past 50 years.
If one of the confederate states managed to breaks from the norm and make progress, it might be what others needed to kick them on their backside to start competing. But today, what we got is collective failure.There is nothing that bring the best in man and progress than competition for success.

And your solution is dividing Nigeria into 4 confederating units.

What informs your choice of 4? Why not 6 or 8 or 250?
Are each of the units you've identified homogenous? That is, If ethnic homogeneity is what you seek. If it's not ethnic homogeneity, then what? Even in Biafra, there would be rivalry between the Northern Igbo's and the Southern ones. Or between those who claim to be the true Igbo's and the fringe ones.

And what makes you think that the fundamental problem that have caused Nigeria to fail will not remain within those your confederating units, even if they are able to overcome the problems of inter-ethnic rivalry, because believe me, it will continue to exist.

In Abia State for instance, the Ngwa's believe they've been marginalised by the Northern Abians and the agitation for inclusion could potentially boil over into something else. And yet Abia State is just a mere state-probably a fifth of the Biafra you propose.

Biafra and its scars is a tragedy. A Nigerian tragedy. It's story can fill one with nostalgia of what might have been. But then, we don't know what might have been, because the guns went silent on January 15, 1970 and Biafra ceased to exist. Maybe the dream of it still lingers in the minds of some, and maybe some people bare the scars from that tragic time in our collective history, but people are moving on.  

While we are still together, some people are daring to believe that inspite of our tragic past and the pessimisms of the moment, that we can still salvage a future from the mess called Nigeria. That is what this movement is about-that while we are together, we should demand better from those (from all the ethnic groups in Nigeria) who lord it over us. That is why we have come together, irrespective of our ages, ethnic or religious backgrounds, level of education, country of residence. We have come together because we deserve better.

You see, you and i know that the cause of the problem is not something other than ourselves and our attitudes to development. It has absolutely nothing to do with breaking up into regions.

If we do not change ourselves then even within those confederating nations we would still fail to develop. You see, development is in the mind and that is what we need to change.

For your information:

India at a glance:
31 States
1618 Languages
6400 Castes
6 Religions
29 Major Festivals
1 Country

Nigeria deserves better. So join us, to make it better.
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by BOSS7: 6:57pm On Feb 13, 2009
@ Eziachi

I'm not one to back down from confrontations however this thread is not one of those with responses of tribal bashing but as long as your passport says Nigerian, I see no wrong in stretching a helping hand to my fellow Nigerians. As long as Ojukwu is alive, I guess then your dream of Biafra is alive but could you do yourself a favour by creating a thread dedicated to such cause and we could carry out our debate on that turf?
Re: Nigerian Development Movement - Get Involved by SamMilla1(m): 8:34pm On Feb 13, 2009
As it stands now, i do not subscribe with anybody who proposes division of a country struggling to unite. There is hope. Someone will have to make the hope come true,
@eziachi,
your opinions can bring immiediate solutions to small problems. USA as they are is made up of so many states with different people and different lifestles. So is INDIA- CHINESE.
Europeans are uniting with speed. What do you think is going on,
We are not interested in dividing anything. Infact i am more interested in bringing the whole of Africa together as one nation, (we will still be less than the population of the chinese).
I also believe that you should be thinking towards how to solve the solution at hand instead of bringing in more ideas that is practically impossible. We have enough human and natural resources to sustain all of us if properly managed.
Drown your division ideas and accept the fact that the name of our nation is Nigeria. I am from biafra too but we have different ways of dealing with the problem of Nigeria. We will be better in times to come, far more better if we stick together as a nation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Alleged World Bank Document Names Top Nigerians And Their Loot In Foreign Banks / Jonathan: I’ll Pay Any Price For Nigeria To Work / A Phoenix From The Ocean-the Making Of Eko Atlantic City.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.