Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,299 members, 7,954,195 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:58 PM

The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks (21914 Views)

Nigerian Hacker Admits $6.5m Fraud In US Court / Godwin Onwuneme Udu Arrested For Bank Fraud In Ghana / Alarming Confession Of Nanny Who Kidnapped Orekoya Children 16/04/15 (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by lalasticlala(m): 12:44pm On May 12, 2015
Latest data released by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) revealed that the banking sector lost over N3.04 billion in 2014 to electronic fraud. The apex bank’s Financial Stability Report (FSR) for December 2014, posted on the regulator’s website stated that the cases of fraud and forgeries in the industry increased to 6,250 at the end of December 2014, from 5,197 reported in the first half of the year.

The study also stated that although the total amount involved in these cases dropped to N9 billion at the end of December 2014 from N16.82 billion recorded in the first half of 2014, the actual losses from the incidents increased to N3.04 billion at the end of December 2014, from N1.72 billion in the first half of 2014. The FSR covered activities in the financial sector between June and December, 2014. The report observed that some of the reported cases of card fraud were perpetrated in jurisdictions with less secure payment platforms.

The report further noted that 2014 was quite alarming in terms of fraud, as it recorded very high volume of fraudulent transactions. Unreported cases, according to the report, were far higher than the reported cases of fraud perpetrated in the system. Internet and automated teller machines (ATMs) is believed to be the most popular channels for e-fraud. In 2013, the fraud cases were 855, with attempted value of N19.149 billion, while actual loss value was N485.194 million.

Despite efforts to ensure that banks adopt global best practices such as the latest version of the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS) certification to mitigate the cyber-threat to their systems, the banking watchdog revealed that total losses by the nation’s lenders due to fraud-related cases had gotten to about N203 billion in the last 14 years.

The report also expressed concern that fraudsters are so ingenious these days that they usually find ways of getting around security measures put in place to checkmate their activities. It stated that as many as 20 or 30 persons are often involved in most electronic fraud attempts. Insider involvement also contributes to the success of the electronic fraud attempts.

There is no doubt that this is a major problem that must be seriously tackled. Though not peculiar to Nigeria as other nations face similar challenge, electronic banking fraud is capable of crippling the banking sector. This year alone, several banks in Nigeria have reported less than anticipated profit returns. This may not be unconnected with millions that these fraudsters may have succeeded is siphoning out of the system.

One way out of this challenge is to be ahead of this ingenious fraudsters. To beat these thieves, the nation’s banking sector must invest more in securing their electronic banking system. Hackers thrive on the vulnerability of a bank’s security system. Once the system is weak, it becomes susceptible to attack and subsequently steal funds. There is no doubt that much has been done by banks in this security their system. But a lot more need to be done since fraud cases continue to be on the rise.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/05/12/the-alarming-electronic-fraud-in-banks/
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by nerodenero: 12:50pm On May 12, 2015
The fear of hackers is the beginning of wisdom.
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by detiosa(m): 12:53pm On May 12, 2015
Nigeria! Nigeria!! Nigeria!!!
we need to do something abt this the soda da y somebody wanted to withdraw using ATM BT due to network it says out of service and withdrew his BT 1 hour later without any card inside the machine it started vomiting money

2 Likes

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by nerodenero: 12:55pm On May 12, 2015
The report also expressed concern that fraudsters are so ingenious these days that they usually find ways of getting around security measures put in place to checkmate their activities

Smart thieves . Wish they could channel their ingenuities to some befitting and commendable.

1 Like

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 12, 2015
nerodenero:
Let me shock you,most of the frauds are carried out by insiders in the bank.....but it is funny that whenever fraud activites happen almost everybody is quick to shout "hackers" not knowing that some bank employees are most of the time the ones involved in the act,they give the info to an outsider that will now finalize the job.....have you seen such a situation whereby you walk into a bank,you told the employee at the bank that you want to check your account balance,you gave them your account number they check it they tell you it is 2510680 naira,some few minutes later you deposited 400000 naira into the account,which means 2510680 + 400000 =2910680 meaning that the total amount that will be on your account should be 2910680,you received a credit alert of the 400000 naira you deposited,three days later you checked your account balance what do you see??you saw 2879680..you feel the difference is a lil huge to be ignored unlike the usual missing 500naira every week,grin,so you decided to go and report to the bank,they told you "oh sir the amount on your account is 2879680",you replied "but before i deposited 400000 to the account my balance was 2510680 they try and convince you that the employee that checked the balance for you before you made the last deposit might have made an error by giving you the wrong figure,if you fall for the "so called explanation"more than 30k don go just like that,but you decided to disagree with the bank and you even stylishly "threatened them"guess what??by the end of the month,you receive the end month balance and guess what you saw??2910680....so how did the account balance suddenly returned to 2910680or it is no longer an error like the bank employee said??yeye dey smell.....

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by asumo12: 1:05pm On May 12, 2015
Microsoft previous warn that 90% of ATM in nigeria are open to hackers!!!

we need change

change we want

change is here

i don resurrect my account cause of my signature!!!

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Uncleodi(m): 1:12pm On May 12, 2015
Jeeez
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by nerodenero: 1:13pm On May 12, 2015
wakacome:
Let me shock you,most of the frauds are carried out by insiders in the bank.....but it is funny that whenever fraud activites happen almost everybody is quick to shout "hackers" not knowing that some bank employees are most of the time the involved in the act,they give the info to an outsider that will now finalize the job.....
It is a known fact that it takes an insider to give the right details for the outside to be able to strike and strike real good. So you didn't shock me. Everybody knows that.

Even the report acknowledged so:
It stated that as many as 20 or 30 persons are often involved in most electronic fraud attempts.

1 Like

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by MissAdeife(f): 1:16pm On May 12, 2015
Someone will come now and start shouting " They must be Ibo boys "..

1 Like

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by seunlayi(m): 1:17pm On May 12, 2015
The electronic aspect of banking cannot be corrupt without the manual aspect been corrupt. Therefore,

NIGERIA BANKS ARE CORRUPT

hawkers ko, Alakara ni

Yes, I am a victim

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by MissAdeife(f): 1:17pm On May 12, 2015
Someone will come now and start shouting " They must be Ibo boys "....
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by shachris01: 1:17pm On May 12, 2015
criminals.
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Muyogoa: 1:18pm On May 12, 2015
Which way NIGERIA?
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 12, 2015
smiley
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by saxwizard(m): 1:18pm On May 12, 2015
nerodenero:

lol
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by okooloyun1(m): 1:18pm On May 12, 2015
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Mrsblizztech: 1:19pm On May 12, 2015
sai shekau

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by kay29000(m): 1:19pm On May 12, 2015
Hmm! No wonder I have been getting a lot of mails from Banks asking me to complete one form or the other or my account would be terminated. I just delete the message straight away...If it is that serious, I will wait for the bank to terminate my account and then I will go and renew it. Than for me to lose the small money I have in my account. lol! Anyway,if you have problem lasting long in bed, hit me up on BBM- 7C22F6EC.

2 Likes

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Obiwannn: 1:20pm On May 12, 2015
WELL MAKE THEM HACKERS TURN THEIR ATTENTION TO MTN JOR. I NEED UNLIMITED BROWSING CHEAT JOR
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Adesiji77: 1:20pm On May 12, 2015
Coming back...
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by tellwisdom: 1:20pm On May 12, 2015
MissAdeife:
Someone will come now and start shouting " They must be Ibo boys "..

Omo see your yansh oo shocked...Do you know my house??..Can you come?? wink wink

2 Likes

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by boman2014: 1:20pm On May 12, 2015
ehn....?

*Dusting my ASUSU
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by akanbiaa(m): 1:21pm On May 12, 2015
The number one fraud is using the ATM to defraud Nigerians especially when you use a different ATM card on a different bank ATM machine they deliberately ensure that the money does not dispend and they record it that it was paid and the money at the end of he day goes to their pocket, when you complain you will begin a long process of trying to get your money back which might takes weeks and the bank will still insist you have collected the money, only those who use same bank and same ATM are lucky to get back their money these days.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Texcoco(m): 1:22pm On May 12, 2015
We keeo..
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Odebright(m): 1:24pm On May 12, 2015
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Pavore9: 1:26pm On May 12, 2015
While the perpetrators will be living big, posting their wasteful lifestyles on social media and some uninformed persons will be tapping into their blessings, praying God to bless them as He has 'blessed' these thieves! sad

1 Like

Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Oluwasaeon(m): 1:28pm On May 12, 2015
awon omo wire-wire
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Nobody: 1:35pm On May 12, 2015
It's alarming.
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by helphelp: 1:37pm On May 12, 2015
Nna na wa ooo
Re: The Alarming Electronic Fraud In Banks by Setaje(f): 1:38pm On May 12, 2015
akanbiaa:
The number one fraud is using the ATM to defraud Nigerians especially when you use a different ATM card on a different bank ATM machine they deliberately ensure that the money does not dispend and they record it that it was paid and the money at the end of he day goes to their pocket, when you complain you will begin a long process of trying to get your money back which might takes weeks and the bank will still insist you have collected the money, only those who use same bank and same ATM are lucky to get back their money these days.

I don't use atm. The bad experiences are just too many. No matter how small d money be, I dey go bank. I don't send anybody. Fake money, torn money, shredded money, the worst is the one that will bring out no money and u get alert of withdrawal. I can't deal abeg.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

60-Year-Old Togolese Defiles 3 Lagos Primary School Pupils (Photo) / Chadian Military Kills 70 Boko Haram Terrorists, Destroys 5 Major Camps / 10 Nigerians Arrested In India For Fake Fund Transfer Case (photos/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.