Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,591 members, 7,823,573 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi (12186 Views)

Benin Residents Keep Vigil In Banks To Use Atms / Dollar Scarcity: Parents Of Overseas Students Weep In Banks / The New Method Of Depositing Cash In Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Adesiji77: 3:15pm On May 12, 2015
Lagos — The Association of Senior Staff of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institutions (ASSBIFI) has blamed the rising level of fraud in the nation's banking sector on lack of examination of character specimen of bank officers at entry level.

President of the association, Comrade Sunday Salako, who disclosed this weekend at the ASSBIFI Central Working Committee meeting in Ekiti, said the development paves way for the banking system to absolve personnel whose character are found wanting and cannot be entrusted with public fund.

He also said the fact that banks do not adequately reward and motivate their personnel gives room for them to perpetrate fraud in order to cope with the challenging environment in the country.

Salako, who decried the rising level of fraud in banks in the country, said there was need for some drastic measures to be taken in order to tame the monster in the sector.

He therefore suggested the need for the banking sector to bring back the establishment of career path of personnel whereby they grow progressively with the demand of the job which also places integrity and honesty as their hallmark.

He said banks should also motivate their staff adequately so as to prevent them from engaging in fraud and untoward acts that can rob on the bank's trust.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201505111738.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 12, 2015
FTC! alas

Modified

well ummm as the first to comment, *clears throat twice* its paramount banks make an upward review of its contract staffs salaries. heard that some still pay as low as 46k while the highest iis bout 78k. less pay equals more fraud! *shikina!*

secondly, ummm... they should solidify the risk control process involved in banking, RICO's these days do absolutely nothing. *yawns*

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by omonla555: 3:24pm On May 12, 2015
Because they are underpaid and casualised.

5 Likes

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by generaluthman: 3:24pm On May 12, 2015
Booked

Mmm
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by centjamie(m): 3:25pm On May 12, 2015
Oh really?
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by kowema(f): 3:25pm On May 12, 2015
Too much English
The summary is pay and treat ur Staff well and save cost from Fraud.

How can a Bank pay A graduate that paid huge fees in school 30k and still expect Loyalty?

13 Likes

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by omisakint: 3:27pm On May 12, 2015
Most especially the ones that are in charge of Western Union and money gram

8 Likes

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by hazyfm: 3:27pm On May 12, 2015
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Eneze1(f): 3:27pm On May 12, 2015
The major problem is employment of contract staff who has no entitlement to career improvement and are being paid peanuts

8 Likes

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by loomer: 3:27pm On May 12, 2015
Na poverty cause am jare.

1 Like

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by umunnatim(m): 3:28pm On May 12, 2015
i de come back make i go buy Banga soup
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 12, 2015
Looks like the banks are making headway on NL lately
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by ayovi: 3:30pm On May 12, 2015
omonla555:
Because they are underpaid and casualised.

The truth is that greed and get rich syndrome has become the bane of today. These bankers know what their pay package was from the onset and they did not complain about it, then why steal to make up.

3 Likes

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by condralbede(m): 3:31pm On May 12, 2015
pay ur workers well....and they will deliver.
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by excellentmomma(f): 3:31pm On May 12, 2015
They should examine the lifestyle of their workers. Living above one's means is the main cause.
Some people say casual workers, you will be shocked some casual workers have better integrity. I have seen mainstream bank workers steal from their customers or commit fraud. It all depends on individual.
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Lovexme(m): 3:33pm On May 12, 2015
This happens in most firms in the country, and not banks alone. If you pay your staffs reasonable well, why would they want to steal from within?

I don't blame those involved in those acts. In as much as it is unethical to steal, it's also unreasonable to underpay. angry

6 Likes

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Laid2001: 3:33pm On May 12, 2015
a thief will always steal even if paid in millions per month.
Stealing is in thier mind not in their situation.!

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Yomitogreat: 3:34pm On May 12, 2015
They r blaming d junior staffs, whereas d real stealing is at the top of the banks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Adesiji77: 3:34pm On May 12, 2015
Ariel20:
Looks like the banks are making headway on NL lately

Really? How? cheesy
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by juwoonn(m): 3:35pm On May 12, 2015
Bank staffs should also be blamed for carelessness.
I was once in a first bank branch and a staff was giving his platform code digits to another staff openly. The 6 digits are too simple that even if I don't wanna remember, it struck in my brain 4 long

5 Likes

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Sibrah: 3:35pm On May 12, 2015
Character is the keyword.
Many don't know the expectation of character part of their standards.
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by whizbee(m): 3:35pm On May 12, 2015
i dunno what to comment,make i chop first

meanwhile
working on my rap album
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by MrMcJay(m): 3:36pm On May 12, 2015
I guess Erastus Akingbola (MD Intercontinental), Cecelia Ibru (MD Oceanic), Babajide Rogers (MD Gulf Bank), Sebastian Adigwe (MD Afribank) and co. were entry-level staffers when they were arrested for stealing and fraud.

These hungry pharisees would come and blame entry-level staff of banks for fraud when the fat-cats in the banks are approving phantom loans for themselves.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by youngwarlocks: 3:36pm On May 12, 2015
ok
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by shakazuldadon: 3:40pm On May 12, 2015
The tales of my contract staff days... story for the gods...
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by omisakint: 3:40pm On May 12, 2015
Most especially the guys handling western Union and money gram transfer

1 Like

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by PefHouse: 3:46pm On May 12, 2015
These are the same staff we should trust with our BVN where your financial and personal information can be accessed across all banks by one fraudulent staff in a bank with security lapses.

- Imagine a fraudulent staff in bank A knowing what your financial status is accross all your accounts in banks B &C, along with your address, phone , next of kin, place of employment, business etc. With multiple ills in a society where kidnap for ransom and armed robbery is the order of the day.

This is very alarming and until the fundamental issues of integrity among bank staff is address, the BVN thing just exposes customers to greater risk of internally orcestrated fraud

Bank Staff welfare is another matter, 95% of fraud is still motivated by greed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by chukwukamma(m): 3:47pm On May 12, 2015
We must stop celebrating wealth without finding out the source. Life is not defined by what you have or do not have but by problem you can help to solve.
please from my blog http://nelsonnwegbo..com/
Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 12, 2015
kowema:
Too much English
The summary is pay and treat ur Staff well and save cost from Fraud.

How can a Bank pay A graduate that paid huge fees in school 30k and still expect Loyalty?
...They knew how much they were to be paid, innit

2 Likes

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by allansie(m): 3:56pm On May 12, 2015
A scammer wil always be a scammer

1 Like

Re: Why Insider Frauds Thrive In Banks- Assbifi by Koolking(m): 3:56pm On May 12, 2015
Moral aberration is endemic and corruption is like an award winning brand in Nigeria. Wealth is our religion, and the majority sees nothing wrong in ill gotten wealth. Our supposed Role Models and leaders are the architects of corruption, how then will the proteges abhor such.

No system in place will checkmate corruption the way we yearn for. Corrupt minds beget corrupt systems.

Not until we changed our orientation for good and undo our mindsets of evil for patriotic zeal, we will continue to wallow in corruption and poverty.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's The Difference Between Available Balance And Ledger(book) Balance? / Audit Report Of Missing NNPC $10.8b Ready Soon, Says Okonjo-iweala / Appeal Court In Enugu Dismisses Innoson’s Preliminary Objections Against Gtbank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.