Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,876 members, 7,851,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:49 AM

A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends (4412 Views)

My Yoruba Brothers Give your Reason why we don't get along with the Igbos / To My Yoruba Nairalanders / Special For My Yoruba Friends. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by JJYOU: 1:17pm On Feb 09, 2009
**osisi:

My examples are numerous with  different people.
My good friend ,one time bossom friend in Houston ,did it all the time till I told her it was very rude and she apologised but never could stop it.
We'll be talking and here comes Toun her friend and immediately they go off screaming away in Yoruba when Toun speaks very good English.
And my hubby who went to a university in Yoruba land says it was an everday occurence amongst his Yoruba friends too.
It even happened when you went with a Yoruba classmate to see a professor for something academic , he said.
As soon as you got there,your friend would prostrate and they go off in Yoruba and you're just there looking  like a fool
and at the end of their long conversation,you have no clue if he's presented the problem you came with and gotten a solution for both of you or just himself undecided
then the prof turns over to you as if to say "what's your problem" and you don't know whether to narrate the reason you came or prostrate on the floor like your friend did.

i had a trainer in UBA training centre in apapa yrs ago that willl teach in english and suddenly burst in with intoripe. he always forgot he was teaching people from all over nigeria. it is a very common thing yoruba people do. you are NOW a NL certified tribalist. wear the badge with honour especially as it comes from fellow tribalists. dont sleep too much in their midst though
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by farotika(m): 1:30pm On Feb 09, 2009
To me, this is not something one should be ashamed of. In fact, I'm proud to learn Yoruba people do that tongue

Notwithstanding, other tribes (mostly igbos and hausas) do this more often in reality.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Ikomi(m): 1:48pm On Feb 09, 2009
@Osisi

I have a feeling ur Hitler on the rise.  angry

Anyone has the right to speak any language wherever, whenever and anytime they choose.

So also u have the right to walk away from the group or individual to show ur disapproval.

Its like u telling me going out with the Culture-Moderator is not right, when both of us have clearly made that choice. Although she did quietly. Just because it might irritate *Hauwa*.

Osisi stop it.  angry

It could give stomach ache though, I had a greek guy who lectured me, but because we were in class with other greek guys, he would start speaking greek - during few minutes break time though. I didn't like it. But fortunately in the same class there were 2 other Igbo boys, so I would walk up to them and speak Igbo.

He one day walked up to our group and asked what language is dat, I quickly retorted Latin.  angry
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by damiso(f): 2:36pm On Feb 09, 2009
I do agree that it is indeed rude to carry on a converstaion when a third person is there and speak in a diff language especially when both of you can speak a commonly understood language( which is often english) but i refuse to accept that yorubas are the worst culprits.

I have worked in a company(supposedly proffesional enviroment) that was filled with Igbo people and believe me i felt more alienated than now when most of my colleagues are white.Gosh it was Igbo all the time.I will not want to mention names but this co is a telecoms firm based in iganmu lagos(some nlanders might know the co wink).People used to ask me how i coped but i was just able to tolerate them.

I also served in the north and not understanding hausa would make you feel incommunicado.

French people also have the annoying habbit of talking to you in french even when they speak english.So people just tend to speak their native tongue more when around someone who can speak it too.

I am not making excuses as i stated earlier it is rude and if the person you are dealing with is paranoid they migh think you are plotting against them so its better to speak in a language everyone understand.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by sesman(m): 3:15pm On Feb 09, 2009
Every tribe does it abeg.this thread is simply another yoruba bashing thread.God help us
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 5:03pm On Feb 09, 2009
sesman:

Every tribe does it abeg.this thread is simply another yoruba bashing thread.God help us

This is not a bashing thread by any means.
It's not a crime to speak one's language but it's not proper to do so in the manner I've mentioned.
Those who want to read more meaning into the thread than there is can do so
This is 2009
Hopefully there's are people who will listen to my advise and stop that behaviour since they may not how rude it comes across.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 5:06pm On Feb 09, 2009
JJYOU:

i had a trainer in UBA training centre in apapa yrs ago that willl teach in english and suddenly burst in with intoripe. he always forgot he was teaching people from all over nigeria. it is a very common thing yoruba people do. you are NOW a NL certified tribalist. wear the badge with honour especially as it comes from fellow tribalists. dont sleep too much in their midst though

My dear I always speak the truth.
It may be interpreted and twisted in various way by nincompoops but it doesn't bother me. cool
This is my observation and that of various others.
You and various others who are non Igbo,non Yoruba say so too,so obviously it's not an Igbo/Yoruba thing.
Whoever wants to kill themselves can do so
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by bluespice(f): 5:19pm On Feb 09, 2009
its not true
ive lived among many nigerians
and i was forced to learn hausa cos the hausas will basically push u to hell
they have a thing for speaking it even in formal environments
so also the igbos and the hausas

its a general thing
dont go hating on one tribe cos u have or have had bad experiences with people from that tribe
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Shaz(f): 5:24pm On Feb 09, 2009
Lool. . that's so true. . @ Osisi
It does happen and it's rude but still it's not just a Yoruba thing. .
It happens with all tribes. .
I think the general message is for everyone to act and speak with courtesy and regard for others.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 09, 2009
Shaz:

Lool. . that's so true. . @ Osisi
It does happen and it's rude but still it's not just a Yoruba thing. .
It happens with all tribes. .
I think the general message is for everyone to act and speak with courtesy and regard for others.

Exactly.

The way the title is put gives the impression that only yorubas do this.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by presido1: 5:47pm On Feb 09, 2009
bridget007:

Yes, this is so annoying. My husband does this all the time. I am british and he and all his friends/family speak english, but still talk around me all the time in yoruba so I am always excluded out of conversation. When I complain he says well elarn Yoruba then, I would but you don't\exact;y learn it over night. I think it his very very rude.
which means u think ur husband is rude, what an insult. How can u expect him to speak english with his family, you want to recolonise him again? grin grin grin. You better learn yoruba please.

Ikomi what concern ur date with michelline and hauwa concern this thread. Sometimes i wonder if u are from Rwanda grin grin.

@ Well every tribe does it but itz more rampant with the youruba's. The only people that can challenge the yorubas in this act is the pakistani's. Infact i will carry out a survey to determine who hold the flag as per this.

One day i took two of my yoruba friends to a bar, we met one other yoruba guy in the bar, men these guys forget that am with them. The only thing i got from all they said was when one ask the other"iyawo mi nko" infact na me respond with owa
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Arnold1(m): 5:50pm On Feb 09, 2009
osisi even goes around creating fictitious names on Nairaland just to bash yorubas.

She is the mastermind behind:

tara85

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-177372.0.html

Funkky123:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-204417.0.html

Giselle*29:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-213708.0.html

These characters post their yoruba derogatory thread and you never hear from them again !

Giselle*29, Tara85 and Funkky123 are all the same people !!!!! ------------>>>>>> osisi in disguise
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Arnold1(m): 5:58pm On Feb 09, 2009
ibkaye:

Exactly.

The way the title is put gives the impression that only yorubas do this.

This is nothing new. osisi is a yoruba hater

Osisi is always bringing up yoruba tribal marks as if yorubas are the only ones with tribal marks in Nigeria (and even africa)

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-152416.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-160866.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-59913.0.html#msg1220984

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-204417.0.html
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 6:05pm On Feb 09, 2009
Look here arnold, I've reported you to the moderators because you can't keep trying to tarnish me.
You've been on this crusade since 2007 and has failed woefully each time.
This is 2009.
In my books you died and was buried on Dec 31st 2008.
Please may your soul now go and rest in perfect peace.
kiss kiss kiss
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Ikomi(m): 7:04pm On Feb 09, 2009
presido1:

Ikomi what concern ur date with michelline and hauwa concern this thread. Sometimes i wonder if u are from Rwanda grin grin.

Hehehehehehe Pres there is going to be war on this thread oohhhhh.

Me, Osisi and the lovely Moderator on one side against a single soul in the wilderness --> Arnold1.

Press u better join the winning team.

Am soooooooooooo inspired. Nzogbu nzogbu enyi nba enyi  angry
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by presido1: 7:12pm On Feb 09, 2009
Ikomi:

Press u better join the winning team.
I will only join the side of Hauwa. The soul in the wilderness might be Saul or Paul as the case may be. Osisi is persecuting him or vice versa tongue tongue tongue

**osisi:

Look here Arnold, I've reported you to the moderators because you can't keep trying to tarnish me.
Osisi who want to tarnish ur impeccable? Image built b4 the arrival of the colonial masters. grin grin grin
Osisi if itz true he was buried last year, that means you are being followed by a ghost. U berra meet Okija JUJU to arrange some concoction for you
Schwarzenegger tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Sauron1: 7:31pm On Feb 09, 2009
Osisi is a TRIBALIST!!! grin

Everyone is guilty of this.
People get carried away and they speak their dialect either when muttering curse words or in exclamation.
To single out the Yorubas alone is a bit bordering on tribalism(me opinion).
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 7:38pm On Feb 09, 2009
Sauron,do you realise there are at least 8 people on the thread who agree with me
are they tribalists too?
It's common knowledge that Yorubas love to speak their language and it's not a bad thing ,it's just rude when there are other people there.
This is my point.
Igbos actually hate the typical Igbo man attitude of always speaking English even to his kinsmen when they are the only ones around and would always say that Yorubas would never do such a thing.
I commend Yorubas for speaking their language and teaching their offsprings the Yoruba language even in foreign lands.
Igbos have failed woefully in that.
A lot of Igbo kids living in Lagos can't even speak ,let alone write Igbo and that's shameful.
What I'm pointing out is that you folks sometimes do it without regard to those around around you.
People should stop reading more meaning into this abeg

let me see if I can find online articles on this topic
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Ikomi(m): 8:07pm On Feb 09, 2009
**osisi:

Sauron,do you realise there are at least 8 people on the thread who agree with me

Name them. angry

Am on ur side if anyone wants to come against u, but am not if ur bashing the Yorubas.

Infact u can bash on, let them all come against u, then I would have a chance to demonstrate my karate skills.

Wey dem? angry
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by osisi2(f): 8:10pm On Feb 09, 2009
Ikomi see you that can't even write passable Igbo
shame on you grin
can you even speak
aboki like you tongue
Your Igbo sounds one kain
are you from Kogi state border or what
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Hauwa1: 8:16pm On Feb 09, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin

lol i laugh tire grin
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Nobody: 8:16pm On Feb 09, 2009
osisi

we hear you ALRIT!!!

but will you admit that ALL TRIBES do this

have you ever SERVED or LIVED in the NORTH

if u had maybe this thread's title would have changed.

Your crusade of advice from this stand piont will not work

by the way this is the easiest way to learn another language
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Ikomi(m): 8:19pm On Feb 09, 2009
@Osisi

Look at u. Ask the Moderator about my Igbo.

She even nominated me for an award for my Igbo written.

So in compensation am given her something back (don't ask me what).

U think our affair started for nothing. Let me tell u if u don't know na contract, rub my back I rub urs.  angry

Infact I enjoy rubbing hers the more.  angry
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by presido1: 8:21pm On Feb 09, 2009
*Hauwa*:

grin grin grin grin grin

lol i laugh tire grin
Y

Ikomi:

Name them. angry
Am on ur side if anyone wants to come against u, but am not if ur bashing the Yorubas.
Infact u can bash on, let them all come against u, then I would have a chance to demonstrate my karate skills.
Wey dem? angry
Chaki chan broda pls no wounjo person with flying legs ooh. grin grin grin grin

which side do you enjoy robbing more, lower or upper side. Chei ikomi u dey enjoy ooh. make i come follow u rob am? U no say we look alike she no go notice say no be you. tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Hauwa1: 8:26pm On Feb 09, 2009
presido, you dey ask me? shocked biko lapu nwata eh
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by presido1: 8:36pm On Feb 09, 2009
*Hauwa*:

presido, you dey ask me? shocked biko lapu nwata eh
chie this gyl will kill me ooh, n'lapu kwanu gi n'labazie onye. shocked shocked shocked
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by davidif: 1:17am On Feb 10, 2009
english is a foreign language and the language of the imperialists. do you hear americans bothering over the fact that they don't speak igbo, yoruba or hausa. geez, nigerians, we lack cultural self esteem.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by ijeoma2619: 1:29am On Feb 10, 2009
i agree with osisi alot of yoruba people are faulty of this, i have had this experience every single time that im having a converstation with a youruba person. It even got to the point that anytime that im engaged in a conversation with a yoruba person and i see another yoruba person walking towards us i quickly try to excuse myself from my friend to avoid being rudely interrupted because thats very insulting. Im not sure if its done on purpose or they just dont have common courtesy. I am not saying igbos dont speak their language but not when a non-igbo speaker is around.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by ijeoma2619: 1:31am On Feb 10, 2009
so yes osisi i completely agree with you it happens a whole lot.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by okunoba(m): 6:15am On Feb 10, 2009
Most do it, when u are around Spanish, German, Danish or Indian people, they all go off speaking their language when they are around  people that do not speak their language. The only reason people are complaining is because they are on the other side of the fence. Besides the culture is very strong, that is y it`s  the only African language and religion that survived over 400yrs of slavery in the new world. The culture though diluted, is still going strong in Cuba, Brazil and Trinidad.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by argent(f): 11:23am On Feb 10, 2009
ijeoma2619:

i agree with osisi alot of yoruba people are faulty of this, i have had this experience every single time that im having a converstation with a youruba person. It even got to the point that anytime that im engaged in a conversation with a yoruba person and i see another yoruba person walking towards us i quickly try to excuse myself from my friend to avoid being rudely interrupted because thats very insulting. Im not sure if its done on purpose or they just dont have common courtesy. I am not saying igbos dont speak their language but not when a non-igbo speaker is around.

The above highlighted shows that you are a tribalist.

Must you insult the yorubas before you get your point across.

Osisi please can you change the title of this thread as it has been established that not only yoruba poeple are guilty of this.
Re: A Little Piece Of Advice To My Yoruba Friends by Abagworo(m): 4:06pm On Feb 10, 2009
@osisi.i might agree with u that yorubas speak their language a lot but unlike u i very much envy them and might say i'm proud at how they represent nigerian culture.i believe that why igbos tend to adopt pidgin more is because of difficulty in accepting a centralised language or even accepting being one ethnic group.a glaring instance is the extinction of igbo language movies from nollywood and replacement with igbo-based english language movies.the yoruba language movies are however thriving.we should all speak our languages and anyone who feels left out should learn yoruba and more African languages.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lisabi Festival: Celebration Of Egbaland’s Rich Cultural Heritage / Igbo Films / Evolution Of Dance In Our Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.