Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,578 members, 7,837,184 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK (17900 Views)

Chuka Umunna Weds Alice Sullivan / We Need Good Leadership In The SE Not Biafra. / Chuka Umunna Shows Off His Girlfriend For First Time (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by safarigirl(f): 11:26pm On May 13, 2015
B69U:

He is legally a British. His father renounced that citizenship and his mother is English. His parents are Igbo and English and he is British by Brith and by Parentage.
his father renounced what? When? Were you witness to that? Who accepted his renunciation and under whose government did it take place?

Bro, shey you know there are also rules to renouncing one's citizenship. You can't just wake up one morning and say you don't want to be a Nigerian anymore and that's all.

Get yourself a copy of the constitution and read it. It's just 1k...I hate seeing people who sound so ignorant.

Chuka is a British-Nigerian. That's what his profile on wikipedia says and that's what his documents say. What you say is inconsequential.

Goodnight smiley

6 Likes

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by wiseoneking: 11:27pm On May 13, 2015
B69U:
Seun, lalasticlala, remove the Nigerian from the mans name, that is not necessary. He does not carry your passport or born in your country.

He is not dragging lagos, abuja or Nigeria Presidency with you.

He does not send u

Yes remove Nigeria and put igbo or Biafra.

1 Like

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by cao(f): 11:27pm On May 13, 2015
These FP baiting tactics really should stop, I'll keep saying this, yes he's of Nigerian descent, I'm sure he's proud of his father's roots - he never tried to publicly hide his roots, but he identifies as a Brit of mixed race.

His father was Nigerian, his mother is English/Irish. Folks are so quick to remember his father's origins, forgetting he's not only the child of his father, but also of his mother (Patricia Umunna (nee Milmo), daughter of a prominent lawyer/judge).

1 Like

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by Thomsbuky(m): 11:37pm On May 13, 2015
freshness2020:
Gawa niru Onye Nna..anyi sogi n'azu.
..keep making the Igbo race proud...
Igbo kwezonu o

Make u sit here to yap yap about igbo this and that, u think British people give a thus about chukka, its just propaganda show case for democracy, he can never win labour leadership election, talk of becoming prime minster of England either you are kidding yourself or absolutely bammy and naive about British politics. Chaka himself is hustling for power position and trying is luck...England mother land of democracy to be rule by colour person maybe by year 2050 when ratio of immigrant overrides indigenous colour people might have a chance. However, might not be around to witness that history..
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by wiseoneking: 11:39pm On May 13, 2015
ibedun:
Like his ancestors in South Eastern Nigeria he is politically naive and have just foolishly stuck his head out at the wrong time. London's cosmopolitan makeup has deceived him into overestimating his acceptability to the wider United Kingdom. Infact like his brothers in Lagos he has managed to annoy his hosts (check the UK media blogs). Many have asked him to return to Nigeria to rule his people and develop his father land (if in doubt check the media blogs in the UK).

Igbos are political toddlers from generation to generation. It's in the genes.
Politically naive but they are aiming your governorship ticket in your state and zone. Ask your lagos people both their state and federal house of rep how many igbos are representing you in your fathers land. Note, all things are possible to him that believeth. He is young and chuka umunna can clinch it. The world is changing. Rejoice and pray for him. With or without racism, he has won twice and he had a strong backing of power brokers in labour party. An igbo man gave thesame shot in the state of florida and narrowly missed. Believe. If an igbo man can be polish parliamen today and aiming higher, sky can never limit umunna's aspiration. There is some thing about the igbos

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by wiseoneking: 11:47pm On May 13, 2015
B69U:

Ur constitution of banana republic is not recognized in Great Britain. U cannot go and claim a child from a British woman that u fathered with that nonsense u just quoted.

Do u know how many children even from both Nigeria parents that are under care in Britain, that the Nigeria government dont have a say in the matter, simply becos they are British, despite both parents being Nigerians and trying to get back their children?

I dont know wat is wrong with you people. If you doubt go have a baby in Europe and tell the Mama it is a Nigerian. cheesy
So wole sonyinka's son who is a comissioner of health in ogun is not a nigeria, femi& yeni kuti, zuriel oduwole the so called youngest person to interviewed world leaders is not a nigerian, sade ade etc all this have a british parents with exception of zuriel witht jewish american father. Dont deceive ur self
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by wiseoneking: 11:52pm On May 13, 2015
B69U:

U still dont get it, Chuka does not share ur Nigerian experiences, he does not have your Nigerian memories.

All he is and all he knows is Britain, where he was born and have been all his life. Where he will remain, marry and die.

He is not one of you. There are many like him. British and Proud.
l think you are envious and jealous of the igbos. Just live them. DNA is of paternal line.

2 Likes

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by wiseoneking: 11:54pm On May 13, 2015
B69U:

Una get mouth sha... but no be mouth dem dey take build skyscraper. Sorry!

Go to England and carry any of their children and see if they will not follow u to that your village and gather the entire community to produce their child. Una go fear!

Truth is Chuka is not a Nigerian and never will be a Nigerian.
truth, chuka is a yoruba man from osun oshogbo. Are you happy now.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by JuanDeDios: 11:55pm On May 13, 2015
Seun admin, moderators and co, stop displaying ignorance. Make this site respectable. He's no Nigerian, but the son of a Nigerian immigrant. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by wiseoneking: 12:03am On May 14, 2015
e4e5d4d5:
The next person that says igbos are jews will receive a resounding slap. .Biko I'm an igbo west african, the next person that makes any connection btw igbos and jews will tell me how my forefathers trekked from Israel to present day abia state.

Mschewwwwww. . .. misinformed people trying to twist history!!!!
Well you are right. All igbos are not jews. If you are igbo and a jew, you will know. This is a blood thing. Igbo is not of one ancentry. You are not jew but there a truely igbo jews. You dont need to slap anybody. If you tell me your state/ local govt/town i will tell you if you are a jew. You may be a limited igbo man
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by Miami11: 12:19am On May 14, 2015
If he has pictures of himself going to the market with his grandmother and visiting his kins, like Obama and his Kenyan relatives then he can win other wise he is british

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by babadee1(m): 12:23am On May 14, 2015
Airforce1:
I wish you goodluck jonathan my fellow Biafran

He is not Biafran, he is British.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by Miami11: 12:32am On May 14, 2015
Obama seems to be in touch with his Kenyan roots is chuka in touch with his Nigerian roots

This picture shows Obama in Kenya long before he knew he would ever become a president

1 Like

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by Luukasz(m): 12:33am On May 14, 2015
naijainfogalery:
Nigerian Igbos be like this Igbo boy is killing it and making us proud
The yorubas be like, Nigerians making us proud in the UK
Where as somewhere in Manchester Chuka Umunna be like i am full blown British
Nigerians will be here fighting themselves and even turn it to some tribal war but the person doesnt even send us
We better forget this tribalism and move forward
You've said it all...he's claiming british while we are here fighting over em
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by Nobody: 1:29am On May 14, 2015
B69U:
[size=18pt]Nairaland take away the Nigerian, he is not Nigerian.[/size]

Seun, lalasticlala, take away the Nigerian, he has never been to Nigeria and was not born in Nigeria.

[size=14pt]Chuka Umunna is British![/size]
He is now a british because he is doing well as an Igboman abi? Will he still be a british if he is a criminal?
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by Miami11: 2:02am On May 14, 2015
Born in Britain soil to a Nigerian father and white British mother, so by birthright citizenship and by birth certificate he is a British citizen.

He holds a British passport and British identities card, makes him a Briton

His fathers kin are Nigerian Igbo

Makes him British with Nigerian Igbo roots

My verdict
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by effty(m): 2:20am On May 14, 2015
He is not a NIGERIAN. Period.

Bt some 'mofos' be here shouting 'igbo kwenu' when d guy does not even know wat 'ikpu okuko' means.

In other words, claim ur GEJ while I trek from Angola to witness GMB swearing-in.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by bee444: 2:42am On May 14, 2015
The guy revealed his white girlfriend to the British public before announcing his intention to run... sharp guy. They might consider him because of his oyibo babe.

98% of English people are conservatives. Although they don't always divulge their political affiliations (they are very subtle about it), a black prime minister is still 100 years away.

Immigration is very dear to the heart of the English ( English not Britons), a black leader would compromise those stance.

Umunna's background as a child of a Nigerian immigrant would also pose a huge and detrimental obstacle to his bid... talking about politics.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by kodded(m): 2:56am On May 14, 2015
babadee1:

He is not Biafran, he is British.
but if he was caught selling drugs a certain tribe will take the responsibility right ? undecided
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by TheOtherview: 4:25am On May 14, 2015
safarigirl:
do you know the meaning of DUAL CITIZENSHIP or are you intentionally trying to sound daft?

Once again, educate yourself, if tomorrow he wants to run for Nigerian Presidency, he has that right. The British constitution is not our business. As far as the laws of Nigeria go, Chuka has the same rights as you and I, his birth place is of no importance

Your previous assertion concerning dual citizenship was correct. The one I have emboldened is, however, stretching credulity.
As things currently stand, Nigeria will never allow someone with split loyalties to contest the highest office in the land.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by Darlduchi: 4:30am On May 14, 2015
BIAFRAN BIAFRAN. HOPING YOU WILL USE YOUR DIPLOMATIC INFLUENCE TO PRESSURE ON THE BRITISH NOT TO SUPPORT OR FIGHT ON THE SIDE OF THE ZOO THIS TIME, JUST INCASE THE ZOO, THIS TIME AROUND THROWS CAUTION TO THE WIND.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by TheOtherview: 4:35am On May 14, 2015
B69U:

He is legally a British. His father renounced that citizenship and his mother is English. His parents are Igbo and English and he is British by Brith and by Parentage.

You don't know that his father renounced his Nigerian citizenship for a fact. It is always best to stick to matters that can be proven.

Now let me make one thing clear to the wider audience: because the only person who can actually pass on Nigerian citizenship to Chuka Umunna died a long time ago, that entitlement now only exists on paper. In other words; while it is true that he could have availed of Nigerian citizenship at one point, this is no longer the case in a practical or legal sense.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by TheOtherview: 4:45am On May 14, 2015
Concerning the primary focus of this thread; I would have absolutely no qualms supporting his candidacy if he was contesting certain other offices (my local constituency or as member of the shadow cabinet). For reasons of self-preservation, however, his current foray does not have my support.

Lest I be misunderstood; it would not matter to me if it were David Lamming, Diane Abbot, or any of the other long standing BME MPs, who put themselves forward. Britain is not the USA - so the idea of nominating a party leader drawn from an ethnic minority group, is premature at this stage.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by Skywalker5(m): 5:31am On May 14, 2015
JuanDeDios:
Seun admin, moderators and co, stop displaying ignorance. Make this site respectable. He's no Nigerian, but the son of a Nigerian immigrant. Thank you.

Mods did that on purpose.Notice that thread itself does not have Nigeria as part of the subject.its only when you view it on front page it says Nigerian.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by patrick89(m): 5:55am On May 14, 2015
ibedun:
Like his ancestors in South Eastern Nigeria he is politically naive and have just foolishly stuck his head out at the wrong time. London's cosmopolitan makeup has deceived him into overestimating his acceptability to the wider United Kingdom. Infact like his brothers in Lagos he has managed to annoy his hosts (check the UK media blogs). Many have asked him to return to Nigeria to rule his people and develop his father land (if in doubt check the media blogs in the UK).

Igbos are political toddlers from generation to generation. It's in the genes.
I don't agree with you those telling him to go back to nigeria are actually yorubas! Don't be surprise that yorubas will start their snithing job as usual against him in the london, but guess what if you like bomb him, cut off his nake, go and tell britain that their people eat human being , they are this they are that! I'm sure you have started doing that! You guys will reap someday your wicked ventures. Just like one of you was telling a Thai police about IGbos. You can go on with your evil deeds! Fools!

1 Like

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by zendy: 6:11am On May 14, 2015
shadrach77:
Even Nigerians would not support this guy. The Labour Party ought to know better than making him their leader if they hope to regain political power in England. He comes across as an intelligent guy, but a racist society like Britain will never take to him. In other words, he is bad news for all Labour lovers kiss undecided cry sad sad

This is what they said when Obama came out to run. The said "what chance has a black man got of becoming president?" Well we all know what later happened. I think that the Labour party will seriously consider if Britain is ready for a black prime minister. Personally, I think Britain is ready. It should be noted that Chuka (which is the short form of Chukwuka) was born in London to an Igbo father and White Irish mother. He could bring the 'Obama effect' to Britain.

1 Like

Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by philfrey08: 6:47am On May 14, 2015
Built2last:
Do you think He stands a chance?

Is he politically ripe?

Is Britain Ready for the First black Prime Minister considering their tilt towards conservatism?

Take note: i will be the happiest Nigerian to see a black man lead our former colonial masters.

Which one is politically ripe?
You think its Nigeria where dey expect you to hv been popular or 'to hv been in politics b4 running for a position?

U dont sound happy.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by Nobody: 7:12am On May 14, 2015
TheOtherview:

Your previous assertion concerning dual citizenship was correct. The one I have emboldened is, however, stretching credulity.
As things currently stand, Nigeria will never allow someone with split loyalties to contest the highest office in the land.
As a general rule, Nigerians that are citizens of other countries are barred from contesting elected offices. However, some legal scholars make the argument that one's Nigerian citizenship by birth isn't negated by taking on citizenship of another country (usually via naturalization).
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by TheOtherview: 7:20am On May 14, 2015
CFCfan:

As a general rule, Nigerians that are citizens of other countries are barred from contesting elected offices. [b]However, some legal scholars make the argumen[/b]t that one's Nigerian citizenship by birth isn't negated by taking on citizenship of another country (usually via naturalization).

I hear you CTCfan. But you must admit that the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Mainly because the jury is still out on the matter of political office holders with dual citizenship; those who fall into that category are wise enough not to make any public pronouncements about their divided loyalties.
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by sweetgala(m): 7:29am On May 14, 2015
johnydon22:

Umunna is still same thingsmiley

That is about it, I'm just making sure Nigerians don't get deluded that his name or Nigerian origin had any bearing on who he has become.

Chuka Umunna would never tell you he is from Nigeria or shares any remote identity with a Nigerian. After 7 years Obama the son of the Kenyan is yet to do anything for Kenyans , in that time he has dumped more money into Israel and Japan
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by REALODUA: 7:30am On May 14, 2015
He is never a Nigerian, never step his foot on nigeria soil and never proud to be associated with Nigeria. If only you lot know how much the name Nigeria is damaged oversea. It's a big difference between a black British and an African American. African American keep it real and shows some love to Africans somehow, however black British hate anything African but proud to associate more with Caribbean .
Re: Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK by Nobody: 7:33am On May 14, 2015
TheOtherview:

I hear you CTCfan. But you must admit that the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Litmus test: name one high-ranking politician who has publicly acknowledged his/her dual citizenship. Anyone will do wink
None, to the best of my knowledge cool

Safarigirl could help us with relevant Nigerian stare decisis on the subject of "natural born"
and "dual" citizenship.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari At The 40th Memorial Lecture Of Murtala Muhammed (Photos) / Economic Woes: Buhari Needs God’s Intervention —Oba Akiolu / YCE Berates Ahmad Lawan Over Statement On Shasha Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.