Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,049 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp (32224 Views)

"Slay Queens Slaying In Camp" - This Female Corper's Outfit Got People Talking / How NYSC Changed My View Of The North. / How NYSC Members Are Recruited For Prostitution In Minna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by boxypane(m): 8:37pm On May 14, 2015
Why are Batch A's so cool n easy 2 handle?
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by lawrenceunaa: 8:42pm On May 14, 2015
If he was this maltreated for being a Yoruba I can only imagine if he was igbo. After their political conspiracy :-/

1 Like

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nikapetrelli(f): 8:44pm On May 14, 2015
Tnk God for d guy life,but y didn't d red cross pple disobey d soldiers,abi d soliders go punish them join??Make those hopeless soldiers no try rubbish with frnds wey dey that Nassarawa camp
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by amokeme(f): 8:49pm On May 14, 2015
freshdude99:

Some people get bad mouth sha.
19k miserable shocked
U must be a milibilitrilionnaire cheesy
Rabbish lipsrsealed
How much was your allowance in sch? Now, compare it to the 19k and tell me what you can use it for in a month? And the bold wasn't necessary
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Toktee(m): 8:51pm On May 14, 2015
mimiy05:
una no fit protest for that camp? what if he lost his life? The culprits should be locked up in the so called guard room for three days without food n water...nonsense! all those small small boys in man o war n police officers without any ranks be flexing muscles n using corpers to shine...arrant rubbish!
all of them are illiterates,the police,man o war,the army etc,are all common school cert without a good grade.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by kingguu(m): 8:56pm On May 14, 2015
DavidGodwin:

One of my friends serving in rivers told me how soldiers maltreated them. please the government should do something about this
lie
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 14, 2015
When such a thing happened in my camp the security agents were asked to leave the camp immediately. They only beat up a corper though he didn't faint,fellow forpers protested and they were sent out of camp immediately. This ones are really otondos they should have protested. Security agents are not allowed to maltreat corpers its an offence
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by klevjey: 9:06pm On May 14, 2015
AncientJerk:
ok first of all, i don't see how he almost lost his life here??

the actions taken by the security personnel were totally unacceptable, however this boy certainly did not act wit wisdom. the name of the game is survival. knowing that the security guys were refusing to buy his story why didn't he just return to the lecture hall to explain to the lecturer? and if the lecturer too refused to listen would it not have been better to wait a little in the lecture hall and to wait for three hours in the "guard room"?

you've got to think survival in a country like Nigeria

also i would think there should probably be something like a medical pass or so that would grant temporary exemptions to unwell individuals?

we don't live to survive in our own country when we r not refugees..if u don't want us to enjoy our father land, then u have to be cut off...e.g: Hausa soldiers..GET READY FOR WAR!
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by eduxerxes: 9:12pm On May 14, 2015
Maybe he wasn't well oriented on camp rules. He's a graduate so I assume he's learned. When the soldiers refused him passage, he should have easily called the attention of the camp co-ordinator who's the next thing to his father/mother there. Use the officials to get what u want so long as its legit. Not confronting those illeterate standard six holders in army uniforms.

Little wonder I was nick-named "exceptional corper" in those days!

Intending corp members should learn from this!
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by dustydee: 9:13pm On May 14, 2015
peeparty:

How NYSC Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture At Camp
He tried explaining to them that he was sick and needed to take his drugs but they did not listen to him, rather he was told to start ‘frog-jumping’.Bunmi quietly explained to them that he might not be able to ‘frog-jump’ because of his health status.

The next thing I saw was that the security operatives (who were obviously Hausas, because they communicated fluently in Hausa language) told asked him if he was Hausa or Yoruba. When he told them he was Yoruba and he hails from Lagos state
Those security guys must be dealt with.
Meanwhile you communicated well in English, therefore based on your conclusion above, you must be English.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by klevjey: 9:18pm On May 14, 2015
Imanuelle:
Very very silly boy.

1. He could have gotten a tag from the clinic, or begged a clinic officer to help/follow him to mammy.

2. Except its the commandant or state coordinator that instructs you, no personnel will allow you go to the mammy during lectures, you are only allowed to leave the lecture hall if you are on duty, not even to go to mammy.

3. Why did he not buy the food before lectures, and keep it till he is ready? This is simple wisdom.

Although the military officers acted rashly, I cannot really blame them, a lot of corps members are tricky, they cook up flimsy excuses of which the 'sick' excuse is the most abused.

I would have been infuriated if they had laid hands on him, but they didn't. Punishment on camp is a normal thing, whether in a goats pen or a urinary.

However, all I can say to bunmi is SORRY, next time be smarter.

The military man can never be court marshalled for doing his job, even if the boy had died, he was acting on orders.

Camp life is regimented, whether you like it or not.

Many of the persons making sentimental comments here have not been to NYSC camp grounds.

Its a world on its own, where just like war, all is fair.

it is people like u dat makes these Hausa men feel like gods in nysc camp

1 Like

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Akposkool(m): 9:21pm On May 14, 2015
Lincoln275:

i remember wen i was a corper, i remember awon eru iku mi , guy u fall all lagosians hand jooor , police for camp? dem no get mouf nah
so you had to quote the entire story to write 3 measly lines? Total waste of space
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by klevjey: 9:21pm On May 14, 2015
Koleman:
This is only a one sided story... the writer has written this piece under the umbrella of being the victims frnd. so maybe just maybe sentiments may be be playing a big role here.... feel sorry for ur frnd though...

is ur father a soldier?
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 9:21pm On May 14, 2015
...And that's how the remaining otondos were watching, and one otondo now visits nairaland to gossip.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by tonero230(m): 9:22pm On May 14, 2015
All these jews wey de enter camp.Omosigho camp commandant for kogi 2011 batch A go testify na.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by unmask: 9:24pm On May 14, 2015
peeparty:
Read excerpts below:
“To all my fellow NYSC corp members around Nigeria, today, I witnessed how one of my colleagues, Adeyera Olubunmi (State code: NS/15A/0134)(Call-up no.: NYSC/NIJ/2015/061287) almost died due to maltreatment in Nasarawa state NYSC camp by security officials.

What happened this morning was that Bunmi Adeyera who is also Platoon 4 leader and was obviously sick went to the Camp clinic to collect some drugs to combat his ailment and was approaching the camp market to get food (since food was no longer available in the camp kitchen) in order to use his drugs when he was stopped by security operatives (Nigerian Police force and Man’O War) and was asked to go back into the camp hall for lectures.
He tried explaining to them that he was sick and needed to take his drugs but they did not listen to him, rather he was told to start ‘frog-jumping’.Bunmi quietly explained to them that he might not be able to ‘frog-jump’ because of his health status.

The next thing I saw was that the security operatives (who were obviously Hausas, because they communicated fluently in Hausa language) told asked him if he was Hausa or Yoruba. When he told them he was Yoruba and he hails from Lagos state, they seized his NYSC identification tag and marched him straight to the ‘Guard room’ allegations of ‘being stubborn’ without giving him any chance of speaking in his own defense.

This place called Guard room is a bathroom located at the entrance gate of the Nasarawa Camp where soldiers urinate at all time and with no cross-ventilation.

We all watched them take the poor sick Corp member to the Guard Room, and was detained there going to three hours. The next thing I saw was people from the camp medical unit running towards the gate with stretcher in their hands.

Behold Bunmi had collapsed and fainted in the so-called guard room.
Even while the Red Cross team was trying to rescue the situation, the soldiers sent them back saying that all was pretence and that when he wakes up, he will return to the guard room.
The doctors battled for his life for about an hour before Bunmi Adeyera became conscious again and was later stabilized.

Every Corp member on Camp including NYSC officials know Bunmi to be easy-going, obedient and friend to all which is more reason he emerged the leader of Platoon 4.
The population of those who went to the clinic to check on him is one that I have never seen on camp although they wouldn’t allow us take pictures of this ugly incident

But my question is this why is it that we Corp members who have in good faith and humility come to serve our father land are being maltreated even to the extent of someone fainting. This should not continue. All these security agents should be careful in performing their duties and should remember that the pen is powerful than the sword…”

Bunmi Adeyera is a graduate of mass communication from The Nigerian Institute of Journalism, Ogba, Lagos state. All attempts to reach the Nasarawa state co-ordinator, Mrs. C.I Uba, proved abortive.

cc
lalasticlala
see this yeye op..... Na this one be torture? Lock am inside toilet for 3hrs and he dey faint
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by idu1(m): 9:27pm On May 14, 2015
peeparty:
Read excerpts below:
“To all my fellow NYSC corp members around Nigeria, today, I witnessed how one of my colleagues, Adeyera Olubunmi (State code: NS/15A/0134)(Call-up no.: NYSC/NIJ/2015/061287) almost died due to maltreatment in Nasarawa state NYSC camp by security officials.

What happened this morning was that Bunmi Adeyera who is also Platoon 4 leader and was obviously sick went to the Camp clinic to collect some drugs to combat his ailment and was approaching the camp market to get food (since food was no longer available in the camp kitchen) in order to use his drugs when he was stopped by security operatives (Nigerian Police force and Man’O War) and was asked to go back into the camp hall for lectures.

The next thing I saw was that the security operatives (who were obviously Hausas, because they communicated fluently in Hausa language) told asked him if he was Hausa or Yoruba. When he told them he was Yoruba and he hails from Lagos state, they seized his NYSC identification tag and marched him straight to the ‘Guard room’ allegations of ‘being stubborn’ without giving him any chance of speaking in his own defense.

This place called Guard room is a bathroom located at the entrance gate of the Nasarawa Camp where soldiers urinate at all time and with no cross-ventilation.

We all watched them take the poor sick Corp member to the Guard Room, and was detained there going to three hours. The next thing I saw was people from the camp medical unit running towards the gate with stretcher in their hands.

Behold Bunmi had collapsed and fainted in the so-called guard room.
Even while the Red Cross team was trying to rescue the situation, the soldiers sent them back saying that all was pretence and that when he wakes up, he will return to the guard room.
The doctors battled for his life for about an hour before Bunmi Adeyera became conscious again and was later stabilized.

Every Corp member on Camp including NYSC officials know Bunmi to be easy-going, obedient and friend to all which is more reason he emerged the leader of Platoon 4.
The population of those who went to the clinic to check on him is one that I have never seen on camp although they wouldn’t allow us take pictures of this ugly incident

But my question is this why is it that we Corp members who have in good faith and humility come to serve our father land are being maltreated even to the extent of someone fainting. This should not continue. All these security agents should be careful in performing their duties and should remember that the pen is powerful than the sword…”

Bunmi Adeyera is a graduate of mass communication from The Nigerian Institute of Journalism, Ogba, Lagos state. All attempts to reach the Nasarawa state co-ordinator, Mrs. C.I Uba, proved abortive.

cc
lalasticlala
you are foolis.h boy. why are you telling us? What do you us to do about it?

All of you were there when this happened.
Why can't you people confront them.
I'm sure the police are not with weapon even if they ve, your numbers ll overwhelmed them.

Useless graduates.....
Cowards youths.....
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by abubkhr: 9:29pm On May 14, 2015
See narration abeg. OP you said he was ordered to do frog jump and they were Hausas because they spoke Hausa fluently. Now my question were you there as it happened? If yes why don't you try intervening to ease his suffering secondly must you mention their tribe?
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Beface(m): 9:30pm On May 14, 2015
Guy na private university una attend? Can't you guys protest? You guys are real OTONDO!
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Akbee(m): 9:37pm On May 14, 2015
Holywizard:
NYSC shud be stopped but dey shud wait after i serve finish oooo
no go diaaaaa dude..im just abt to av the experience come November. I can't afford to miss it.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by kinibigdeal(m): 9:38pm On May 14, 2015
I blame the corps members, please ask anybody that served in osun state in 2011 what happen in camp, a guy was maltreated to the point that he collapse, the violence that emanated aftermath could not be described. All the corps members vow to avoid or partook in any activities in the camp which they did for the remaining weeks. They even beat a policeman..
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by toyoutoyou: 9:42pm On May 14, 2015
Youth obey the clarion call
Let us lift our nation high
Under the sun or in the rain
With dedication and selflessness
Nigeria ours,Nigeria we serve.

The guy couldn't obey simple instruction,and that lead to his unpleasant story.He should have obeyed the guy at first before complaining about his ailment.Thank u.

1 Like

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 9:46pm On May 14, 2015
that was my camp also in 2012 batch A. They should compensate him by posting him to karu local govt or keffi cuz it they put him to obi or azare na die be dat oooo.
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Krisddon: 9:54pm On May 14, 2015
NYSC is a sham and therefore should be scrapped! I hate it with utter bitterness!
I'm serving in Kogi, a state in a very poor state as Nasarawa.
NYSC=RUBBISH!!
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by engrlarex(m): 10:01pm On May 14, 2015
ask any Batch C stream 2 2014 Wetin we show soldiers unto maltreatment level..Even the DG flew in that night but he cud not do anything than to tell them to start dancing..for 4days d soldiers ignored us at the Parade ground we just dey do anyaw..
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 10:02pm On May 14, 2015
meshacha1:
Thanks to God you know lost your life

No be by force to comment
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by QATOFIN: 10:24pm On May 14, 2015
for nasarawa, for nasarawa corper no dy rest!

that was our slogan then, bt dat guy really humble wella, you no well bt you waka with your leg go enter guard room, dat guy dull, lagos guy for that matter e dy pain me! for my time there we no dy go for lecture, we no dy go parade, even rsm no hw fr! we gave them trouble, plenty troublen. for ppl wen still dy there if una see coach chop i chop or coach pay before service make na greet am for me!
him sef see oba! for our hand

1 Like

Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Hembelembe: 10:36pm On May 14, 2015
I thought yorubers and hausas are like bread and butter? grin
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by toprealman: 10:53pm On May 14, 2015
shakazuldadon:
lipsrsealed

All of you Corp members that witnessed it are otondo. Unable no get mouth Abi una no go public university.
My thoughts exactly!
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 11:00pm On May 14, 2015
klevjey:

it is people like u dat makes these Hausa men feel like gods in nysc camp

Sentimental nonsense!
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Nobody: 11:03pm On May 14, 2015
eduxerxes:
Maybe he wasn't well oriented on camp rules. He's a graduate so I assume he's learned. When the soldiers refused him passage, he should have easily called the attention of the camp co-ordinator who's the next thing to his father/mother there. Use the officials to get what u want so long as its legit. Not confronting those illeterate standard six holders in army uniforms.

Little wonder I was nick-named "exceptional corper" in those days!

Intending corp members should learn from this!

Maybe the guy was stubborn and trying to form gara-gara in front of the soldiers and now his friend is here trying to play victim for him. By the way, on the part of the soldiers who spoke hausa, why did they resort to torture him after he said he was yoruba? I thought that since after the elections, the Hausas and yorubas became good friends? Abi the friendship no work again?
Re: How Nysc Corp Member Almost Lost His Life To Torture In Camp by Emmayur(m): 11:05pm On May 14, 2015
i am in Nassarawa NYSC's camp presently and and i must confess that well the man o war guys were wrong but the guy exaggerated the issh a bit.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Four Corpers Kidnapped On Their Way To Camp, Rescued In Rivers / Ondo 2015 Batch A, Let's Meet Here / Official Nysc 2018 Batch A Timetable Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.