Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:49 PM

What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? (22532 Views)

All Trado-medical Practitioners,talk About Your Herbal Products Here. / Chief Dr. Ewenje Aroni Trado-medical Practitioner / Trado Medical Doctor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? by nenergy(m): 11:49am On May 14, 2015
I visited my barber to shape what’s remaining of my receding hairline and saw him drinking a dark herbal concoction “prepared” to fight malaria.

Herbal remedies are of different types and levels. Some are homemade, while others are made specifically by experts (practitioners, babalawo or elewe omo)

Now in the light of herbal remedies; what is the difference between herbalist, native doctors and trado-medical practitioners?
Which of these isn’t diabolical in nature? i.e Can by patronized by Christians
Re: What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? by agarawu23(m): 11:51am On May 14, 2015
na the same bro,

they all deal with charms
Re: What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? by Mprex(f): 11:54am On May 14, 2015
they compliment each other
Re: What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? by Yustash001(m): 1:53pm On May 14, 2015
Herbalist and native doctor is the same but trado-medical doctors are the likes of yem-kem int'l,oko-oloyun...they modernize and package their own drugs...
Re: What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? by 2helpu(m): 10:16pm On Sep 10, 2016
An herbalist uses plants and other natural substances to improve health, promote healing, and prevent and treat illness. Herbal medicine, also called herbalism, botanical medicine, or phytomedicine, has been used for thousands of years.

A native doctor is "a man supposed to have supernatural powers of curing disease and controlling spirits."

A medicine man or medicine woman is a traditional healer and spiritual leader who serves a community of Indigenous people. Individual cultures have their own names, in their respective Indigenous languages, for the spiritual healers and ceremonial leaders in their particular cultures.

Herbs for life or death?: ‘Herbal medicine is neither dangerous nor fetish’
Dr. Filani
Dr. Banji Filani of Sound Health Centre spoke on the safety of herbal concotions.
“Herbal medicine is neither dangerous nor fetish. The problem with people is that anything traditional is attributed to fetishism.
They use it in China and bring it here; we don’t question that (examples are Tianshi and Tasly Kasly products), but because it is ours, people think it goes with fetish power.
I am a Christian. I was brought up a Christian, I know nothing about incantations. Take for instance, bitter leaf. Many don’t know that it has the power to treat some ailments. Bitter leaf can cure diabetes and cleanse the blood. You don’t need to chant any incantation for it to work.
The same goes for other herbs. It is only that most times you have to put two or more together for them to work effectively. Another example is the mango tree. Nothing is useless in a mango tree; even the mistletoe you find on it is for curing hypertension.
Everything is not a matter of using herb; we can easily tell you what to eat and what not to eat (diet and nutrition) and that alone may be the cure of ailments. So, as a Christian, I am a member of the Christ Apostolic Church, the church of Baba Sadela.
I only believe in treating with natural herbs, not attaching anything spiritual to it. Another example is the common maize we eat. The botanical name is sea maize. Those string-like things that come out with corn that many people remove while eating the maize has curative content to treat hypertension, diabetes and even oedema.
Therefore is no incantation needed in herbal practice. One only needs to know what and what to put together. Herbal practice is simply the use of herbs for treatment. Nothing more, nothing less. Herbal medicines, also called botanical medicines or phytomedicines, refer to herbs, herbal materials, herbal preparations and finished herbal products that contain parts of plants or other plant materials as active ingredients.
The plant materials include seeds, berries, roots, leaves, bark or flowers. Many drugs used in conventional medicine were originally derived from plants. Salicylic acid is a precursor of aspirin that was originally derived from white willow bark and the meadowsweet plant (Filipendula ulmaria (L.) Maxim. Quinine and Artemesinin are anti-malarial drugs derived from Cinchona pubescence Vahl bark and Artemisia annua L. plant, respectively.
Vincristine is an anticancer drug derived from periwinkle (Cantharnthus rosues Linn. G. Donn). Morphine, codeine, and paregoric, derived from the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.) are used in the treatment of diarrhoea and pain. Digitalis is a cardiac glycoside derived from foxglove plant (Digitalis purpurea L.) an herb in use since 1775.”
On those who suffered bad fate in the use of herbs: “They are just unlucky. It is either they took an overdose, a wrong prescription or an expired mixture. There are fake traditional doctors just as we have fake orthodox doctors. Nigerians should beware so as not to fall into wrong hands. Practitioners who have good reputations would never want to do anything that will tarnish their names and good records.
It is risky to patronise unknown practitioners who may not be reachable should there be any negative development on the drugs you have been given. If you go to a hospital and a negative development emerges,
I am sure you will go back to complain. But if you have gone through some prescriptions by some unidentifiable personnel, you will be blamed by all and you will blame yourself for whatever happens. The same rule is applicable to us.”
Re: What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? by ayufun: 10:12am On Jun 24, 2017
Much have been said here and to me, herbalist is a person that uses all sort of physical materials, not only herbs and leaves to heal and sometimes with spiritual consultation and help.

>>>A native doctor is the one who understands, prescribe and also prepare traditional medicines for healing, sometimes, with some recitation which is always in form of prayer.

>>> A trado-medical person is the one who prepares local herbs with a mix of modern medicine standard. But unfortunately, these people always go out of boundary in what they practise.

http://www.healthriskfood.com
You can read your way to better health

Comprehensive Article on Erectile dysfunction and Libido for man and woman

Meaning and perceptions of death

The Truth you don't know about table salt
Re: What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? by Gambit23: 5:25pm On May 29, 2021
agarawu23:
na the same bro,

they all deal with charms

How does herbs, Trado, medicine, Doctor, native translate to charm?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? by Gambit23: 6:38pm On May 29, 2021
nenergy:
I visited my barber to shape what’s remaining of my receding hairline and saw him drinking a dark herbal concoction “prepared” to fight malaria.

Herbal remedies are of different types and levels. Some are homemade, while others are made specifically by experts (practitioners, babalawo or elewe omo)

Now in the light of herbal remedies; what is the difference between herbalist, native doctors and trado-medical practitioners?
Which of these isn’t diabolical in nature? i.e Can by patronized by Christians

They are all doctors.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Herbalist, Native Doctor & Trado-medical Persons? by Sneakersjmuth: 12:46pm On Jun 25, 2022
Alternative medicine is a collective name for methods that are offered to treat or prevent disease, but are not backed by scientific evidence of their effectiveness and safety. The action of alternative medicine methods is based on phenomena, the existence of which is not proven and is often incompatible with the principles of modern science. Trinity school of medicine https://www.trinityschoolofmedicine.org/resources/ultimate-guide-caribbean-medical-schools says that alternative medicine treatments can negatively affect patients' health due to rejection of clinical therapies, this often includes herbalists too.

(1) (Reply)

Pregnancy: I Don't Want To Have Stretch Marks. Help! / Teenage Philanthropist Loses Battle To Cancer After Battling It For 3 Years / Two Cases Of Omicron COVID Variant Detected In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.