Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,888 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Should Fire Emergency Doors Be Locked During Normal Operations? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should Fire Emergency Doors Be Locked During Normal Operations? (550 Views)

Don't Be Blocking Emergency Doors Oh! / Lagos Launches Medical Helicopter Emergency Service In Nigeria (Photos) / Nigeria's Roadside Eye Doctor Performs Operations Under Lagos Bridge. Shocking! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Fire Emergency Doors Be Locked During Normal Operations? by Archilouis(m): 1:46pm On May 14, 2015
Do we have professional safety personnel that can convince otherwise?

It isn't uncommon to see emergency exit normally locked.

Fire wardens are required to assume responsibility of safe & timely evacuation, which includes unlocking the emergency exit.

I vote for a review of this procedure to eliminate human factor risk from the critical path of evacuation.

The outcome from failure/inability to unlock the emergency exit door is of greater consequence than the abuse of using the emergency exit door during normal operation.
Re: Should Fire Emergency Doors Be Locked During Normal Operations? by Nobody: 2:16pm On May 14, 2015
Fire emergency doors are supposed to be accessible every time of the day so long as there are occupants in the building..

Most of those doors are usually designed in a way that when you open it, it triggers fire alarm.

Instead of locking the door, there should be a fine for false alarm smiley

1 Like

Re: Should Fire Emergency Doors Be Locked During Normal Operations? by Archilouis(m): 7:27am On May 15, 2015
@favoured234: I agree with you, but again, let us consider that a number of buildings do not have electronic systems tied to the emergency doors. The manual activation glass that is broken in the event of fire, at best, is all that is relied upon.

I read in the news that the fire that took place in a chemical plant due to uncontrolled welding actually had a number dead bodies at the 2nd floor emergency exit location. It is suspected now that the emergency exit door wasn't unlocked!
Re: Should Fire Emergency Doors Be Locked During Normal Operations? by Archilouis(m): 9:33pm On May 20, 2015
A

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help On My Genotype / Erectile Challenge Crushed!!! / Egusi Soup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.