Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

My Building Project. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Building Project. (9667 Views)

How Can I Get My Building Plans Approved In Lagos / My Building Process: 3 Bedroom Bungalow / A Nairalander's Building Project -from Foundation To Plastering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Building Project. by imoci(m): 4:37pm On May 14, 2015
This is my best section on this site, over the years I have read about people’s project, opinions, cost implication best practice etc on building.
Seriously this year I found it more interesting as I was getting close on starting my own building project.

Here is a brief on the job so far, suggestions, criticism and contributions are welcome. (trust N/landers)

Excavation for foundation actually started on Tuesday and was completed yesterday; foundation work has been schedule for Saturday. I have already purchase 1000 blocks on site.
Though I will be using both 9 inches and 6 inches for the foundation. The 9 inches will be used for the external walls while the 6 inches will be used for internal demactions.so I purchased 700 of 6 inches and 300 of 9 inches which am sure will do the job.Founadtion setting will be three couches.
Though the builder asked me to purchase 20 bags of dangote cement, but I have already paid for 15 bags I know this won’t be enough. Am also planning for 50k as omonile money.

More update will be coming soon as the project progresses, but before I go I will like to say a very big thank you to the following nairalanders for their immense and endless contribution on this section.

• Jaurus for sharing his personal experience on this site
• HSL brokers
• 100cents
• Spyder
• Abdulwastec
And the big boss on this section HAJJI M
But this list will not be complete without measuring my amiable friend and architect Smartview Associates (SVA) he is actually the designer of this project.

1 Like

Re: My Building Project. by fendorf(m): 5:45pm On May 14, 2015
Contact us for your Granite,sharpsand,stone dust and sandfilling. 07064696356
Re: My Building Project. by mufutau55(m): 3:07am On May 15, 2015
Give us more information about this project o. Bungalow or Duplex and how many rooms etc.
We in Nairaland Properties Forum will sure be here with you all the way.. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: My Building Project. by imoci(m): 12:39pm On May 15, 2015
Its a 3 bedroom bungalow all ensuite.
Re: My Building Project. by imoci(m): 9:07am On May 18, 2015
We started the foundation on Saturday and by his grace it was completed on Sunday.
A total of 900 blocks was purchased out of which I had a balance of 286 left on site after the foundation.
The foundation was three couches.

Like I said before, I used 9 inches for the surrounding walls while the inside was 6 inches.

Now I want to continue with 6 inches all thru this project.
See pictures of work so far.

2 Likes

Re: My Building Project. by daviejay: 8:18am On May 19, 2015
welldone brother, keep it going. please try to include the cost implications and all stages to encourage those of us that are dreaming of embarking on such ventures...personally, I am thinking in this direction also but the quotes I have received is kind of discouraging. Thank you. God will see you through this in Jesus name, amen.
Re: My Building Project. by imoci(m): 1:30pm On Jun 03, 2015
see the floor plan model of the project.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Building Project. by imoci(m): 2:00pm On Jun 03, 2015
pls can professionals in the house advice me.

i intend to continue this project with doing DPC.which means i may not fill the foundation yet until it gets to lintel level.

i need advise on the implication of not doing DPC.
2.how much will it cost me to fill this three bedroom flat with laterite.

3.how much will DPC for this foundation cost me.

Please i need serious advice.

1 Like

Re: My Building Project. by mufutau55(m): 3:04pm On Jun 03, 2015
Welldone brother and thank you for sharing this with your fellow learners in Properties Forum.
God Almighty will give you the resources to finish it. We are following and will comment when necessary. Thank you.
Don't forget to post the 3D design of this project o.

Hajji M.
Re: My Building Project. by mufutau55(m): 3:29pm On Jun 03, 2015
imoci:

i intend to continue this project with doing DPC.which means i may not fill the foundation yet until it gets to lintel level.

There is no problem if you cannot do the DPC right now... but to make sure it will still be Ok when you are ready.. try and fill the last block of the foundation with mortar concrete before filling with laterite so that you will have a solid german floor later...
I have borrowed some pictures from Aventures and posted below for you to understand what I am talking about.. Even if you cannot do the coping, just make sure you fill the last block with the mortar concrete.

Note: Pictures are compliment of Oga Aventures, and he has copyright to them. Just borrowed for lecture oh.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: My Building Project. by skyps(m): 4:49pm On Jun 03, 2015
@op Please do you have an idea of the number of blocks that can possibly complete this building?
Re: My Building Project. by pamostik: 5:34pm On Jun 03, 2015
It's not easy. The Lord is your strength bro.
Re: My Building Project. by imoci(m): 4:54pm On Jun 04, 2015
Thank you very much oga Hajji.
i think this is exactly what i will do.seriously i have been contemplating on this DPC stuff thats wy i have not
gone to my side after the foundation to start the structure proper.
i am very sure i can afford this.

oga HAJJI once again you make my day i will always rememeber you for ur professional advise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Building Project. by mufutau55(m): 9:27pm On Jun 04, 2015
imoci:
Thank you very much oga Hajji.
i think this is exactly what i will do.seriously i have been contemplating on this DPC stuff thats wy i have not
gone to my side after the foundation to start the structure proper.
i am very sure i can afford this.

oga HAJJI once again you make my day i will always rememeber you for ur professional advise.

My pleasure sir. And thanks to all our professionals for their various lectures here.
Have no fear, that is exactly how I did my own Duplex foundation/DPC for lack of fund when I first started it.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: My Building Project. by BayoJoe: 10:49pm On Jun 04, 2015
Welldone OP...

Concerning DPC, I'll suggest you to do it. because it's one way you can be sure dampness won't affect your building in the future especially when you use DPC Membrane/Nylon with it. Also, for the solidity of the entire building.
And for me: the beauty is also nice (I'm doing 1 small place like that too and just did the DPC recently...).
It'll look costly though but the benefits pay off.
May GOD bless our hustles.
Re: My Building Project. by ArchitGreen(m): 1:28am On Jun 05, 2015
good day everyone, well done Mr imoci.....you can continue the block work without dpc since its a bungalow, but I'd advise u fill with laterite as soon as possible so that it can get properly compacted naturally by weather, and that would also ensure that there'd be a solid base for ur dpc when u r ready to cast......more owo in ur pocket brother...

1 Like

Re: My Building Project. by dayomide70(f): 8:04pm On Jun 05, 2015
Well done brother and I'm so happy for you. As some people have said above, just fill up as Hajji has said. May God provide all you will need to finish this project. Amen.

Mufutau55, you are always on point. Kudos to the good work and orderliness you brought to this section.
You may not remember me anymore but my account was part of the ones affected one time like that so I was too busy to open another. Been watching from outside since then.
Weldone
Re: My Building Project. by mufutau55(m): 8:08pm On Jun 05, 2015
dayomide70:
Mufutau55, you are always on point. Kudos to the good work and orderliness you brought to this section.
You may not remember me anymore but my account was part of the ones affected one time like that so I was too busy to open another. Been watching from outside since then.
Weldone

Welcome back. That was a real disaster for Nairaland and they lost few members that never cared to comeback.
Please be active and rejoin us, we always need people to contribute here.. Thanks for the compliments.

Hajji M.
Re: My Building Project. by dayomide70(f): 8:46pm On Jun 05, 2015
mufutau55:

Welcome back. That was a real disaster for Nairaland and they lost few members that never cared to comeback.
Please be active and rejoin us, we always need people to contribute here.. Thanks for the compliments.

Hajji M.

Thanks for the welcoming back message. Been too busy or let me say too lazy to re-register. House building is what is reigning in Naija now. Everyone want to invest in building and it's been so busy for me because No building can stand without what I deal in. Supply of Sand, granite, gravel etc so you should understand what I mean.

Grateful for the word of encouragement you have someone who asked about me then and you simply told him a trial will convince. He used me and I ve been getting more jobs from one person to the other,all courtesy the first contact.

It's one thing to get a customer and it's another to keep it. What I ve just lent is "INTEGRITY and PUNCTUALITY " brings more customers.

Will always be active where I'm less busy especially now that I may start mine soonest.
Re: My Building Project. by skyps(m): 9:14pm On Jun 05, 2015
Nice job
Re: My Building Project. by cleric(m): 9:15pm On Jun 05, 2015
mufutau55:

There is no problem if you cannot do the DPC right now... but to make sure it will still be Ok when you are ready.. try and fill the last block of the foundation with mortar concrete before filling with laterite so that you will have a solid german floor later...
I have borrowed some pictures from Aventures and posted below for you to understand what I am talking about.. Even if you cannot do the coping, just make sure you fill the last block with the mortar concrete.

Note: Pictures are compliment of Oga Aventures, and he has copyright to them. Just borrowed for lecture oh.

Hajji M.
As usual, hajji is on point. However, you need to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of both. This will help in your long and short term planning. These have been extensively discussed in this forum but in various threads. God help you in your decision making.
Re: My Building Project. by 100Cents: 9:57am On Jun 06, 2015
Nice. grin
Re: My Building Project. by 100Cents: 10:04am On Jun 06, 2015
skyps:
@op Please do you have an idea of the number of blocks that can possibly complete this building?

3,000 blocks should do that house.
Re: My Building Project. by 100Cents: 10:07am On Jun 06, 2015
imoci:

Did you follow that building plan to the letter ?

What are the dimensions of your rooms or the total surface area of the house ?

I will advice you to do the sand filling now. Red sand/mud does not cost much. Say N7,000 per trip. Ask your supplier to load from a Pail loader/caterpillar. 3 Trips of red mud supplied by a 911 truck should fill that foundation. Then do your German floor. It does not cost as much as people think. One trip of stone, One trip of sand and 15 bags of cement will do the job. Should not be too thick. 4 inch thickness is very ok. What gives solid and smooth floors is floor tiling after building.
Re: My Building Project. by KolaShangOne(m): 2:43pm On Jun 06, 2015
100Cents:

Did you follow that building plan to the letter ?
What are the dimensions of your rooms or the total surface area of the house ?
I will advice you to do the sand filling now. Red sand/mud does not cost much. Say N7,000 per trip. Ask your supplier to load from a Pail loader/caterpillar. 3 Trips of red mud supplied by a 911 truck should fill that foundation. Then do your German floor. It does not cost as much as people think. One trip of stone, One trip of sand and 15 bags of cement will do the job. Should not be too thick. 4 inch thickness is very ok. What gives solid and smooth floors is floor tiling after building.

3 trips of laterite to fill that foundation? I disagree.. The sitting room alone will take about 2..
One trip of 30t granite might be enough.. But one trip of sand cannot be..15 bags of cement? I dunno your mix but I doubt it seriously.

Peace

1 Like

Re: My Building Project. by 100Cents: 3:05pm On Jun 06, 2015
KolaShangOne:

3 trips of laterite to fill that foundation? I disagree.. The sitting room alone will take about 2..
One trip of 30t granite might be enough.. But one trip of sand cannot be..15 bags of cement? I dunno your mix but I doubt it seriously.

Peace

That is why I asked for the dimensions of his house. Did you build one recently ? Red sand loaded by a Pail loader is almost twice the size of shovel scooped sand.

I guess you don't know what that my bolded line means.
Re: My Building Project. by KolaShangOne(m): 4:38pm On Jun 06, 2015
100Cents:

That is why I asked for the dimensions of his house. Did you build one recently ? Red sand loaded by a Pail loader is almost twice the size of shovel scooped sand.

I guess you don't know what that my bolded line means.

Lol.. I build for a living bro.. From d picture he posted, U can see its a standard 3bdr.. Twice the size? My brother, Laterite loaded by a payloader can't be more than the capacity of the truck. I'm not arguing sha

1 Like

Re: My Building Project. by briliantsak(m): 1:19pm On Jun 07, 2015
Nice one...I can help you with d cost implication.
Re: My Building Project. by imoci(m): 12:41pm On Jun 08, 2015
briliantsak:
Nice one...I can help you with d cost implication.

please am waiting for you cost implication.
Re: My Building Project. by imoci(m): 12:48pm On Jun 08, 2015
Thanks to every one for your kind contribution and suggestions.

I was told to dig soakway so that i can use the excavated sand to fill.That way the quantity and cost of buying laterite will be minimised.

BUT how long can i leave an already excavated soakaway unattended to.can it be left for a whole year.
Re: My Building Project. by MANGAM(m): 1:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
Smart move. U can also use the soakaway to store water during this wet season.
Re: My Building Project. by mufutau55(m): 3:07pm On Jun 08, 2015
imoci:
Thanks to every one for your kind contribution and suggestions.
I was told to dig soakway so that i can use the excavated sand to fill.That way the quantity and cost of buying laterite will be minimised.
BUT how long can i leave an already excavated soakaway unattended to.can it be left for a whole year.

Yes. You can dig the soakaway now and use the sand from there to fill the foundation... that is a good economical way...
One of my project was left for almost 4 years and no problem when we were ready for the soakaway construction.. and we even had to dig it a little more. So one year is not a problem at all... Hope this helps.

Hajji M.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fire Destroys Houses In Danmagaji, Zaria This Morning (Photos) / Cost Of Water Tank Scaffolding / NIL

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.