Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,601 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Nigerian Born Chuka Umunna Pulls Out Of Labour Leadership Contest. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Born Chuka Umunna Pulls Out Of Labour Leadership Contest. (594 Views)

Chuka Umunna Weds Alice Sullivan / Chuka Umunna Declares Intention To Run For Labour Leadership In UK / Chuka Umunna Shows Off His Girlfriend For First Time (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Born Chuka Umunna Pulls Out Of Labour Leadership Contest. by omoeso(m): 1:40pm On May 15, 2015
The favorite for the labour leadership has pulled out just days after launching his campaign- saying the added pressure has not been a comfortable experience.

Chuka Umunna announced his withdrawal from the race to replace Ed Miliband in a statement on Twitter this morning.

The Shadow Business Secretary said since the General Election he has been “subject to the added level of pressure that comes with being a leadership candidate.”
“I have not found it to be a comfortable experience.”

He said after further reflection he has decided to withdraw his candidacy.

Speculation is already rife as to why the Streatham MP, who only formally launched his campaign on Tuesday, is standing aside so soon.
Chukka, seen a young moderniser in the Labour party, has a penchant for blingy watches and is a DJ in his spare time.
His statement in full.

“Shortly before the election campaign, I made the decision, in the event that Labour was defeated and a new Leader was to be elected, to stand for the leadership of the party if there was a desire in the party for me to do so.

“I dearly hoped Labour would win the election and it was a decision I would not have to implement.

“I also thought I understood the scrutiny and attention a leadership contest would bring.

“As a member of the Shadow Cabinet, I am used to a level of attention which is part and parcel of the job.

“I witnessed the 2010 leadership election process close up and thought I would be comfortable with what it involved.

“However since the night of our defeat last week I have been subject to the added level of pressure that comes with being a leadership candidate.

“I have not found it to be a comfortable experience.

“One can imagine what running for leader can be like, understand its demands and the attention but nothing compares to actually doing it and the impact on the rest of one’s life.

“Consequently after further reflection I am withdrawing my candidacy.

“I apologise to all those who have kindly supported and encouraged me to do this and for disappointing them.

“I know this will come as I surprise to many but I had always wondered whether it was all too soon for me to launch this leadership bid – I fear it was.

“Most importantly, I continued to have very real concerns and worry about this bid’s impact on those close to me.
“I intend to carry on playing my full role as a proud member of our Shadow Cabinet taking on the Tories.

“I also hope to play a leading role in Labour’s campaign to keep the UK in the EU during the forthcoming referendum which is absolutely crucial.

“Most importantly, I will as ever continue to serve the area I know and love – the Streatham parliamentary constituency”

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/chuka-umunna-pulls-out-of-labour-leadership/

Re: Nigerian Born Chuka Umunna Pulls Out Of Labour Leadership Contest. by natnoble(m): 2:47pm On May 15, 2015
Atleast he is wise enough to know well to stop even when ppl selfishly tend to push him. he can try at a convenient time.
Re: Nigerian Born Chuka Umunna Pulls Out Of Labour Leadership Contest. by natnoble(m): 2:48pm On May 15, 2015
Atleast he is wise enough to know when to stop even when ppl selfishly tend to push him. he can try at a convenient time.

(1) (Reply)

Blair Asks Buhari To Crack Vested Interests In NNPC In 100 Days / #hardtobelieve: President Obama Has Less Than $1,001 In Savings Account / The Scam Of Fuel Subsidy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.