Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,211 members, 7,811,577 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

Big Words Make You Sound Smart, Don’t They? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Big Words Make You Sound Smart, Don’t They? (488 Views)

10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate / These Will Make You Sound Smarter / Big Words Make You Look Dumb...dont They? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Big Words Make You Sound Smart, Don’t They? by TRWConsult(m): 2:50pm On May 15, 2015
Many people think that they sound smarter when they use big words. The truth of the matter is that smart communicators use words that (a) they understand and (b) their readers are likely to understand.

The purpose of writing is to communicate. Communication is the process by which meaning is created and exchanged. If the person who reads your writing doesn’t understand what you are trying to say, no communication occurs when he or she reads your writing.

In order to communicate effectively, you have to use language properly, and you have to use language that people are likely to understand.

Lately I have noticed many people misusing the word “detrimental” when what they really mean is “instrumental” or “important.” For example, I read a memo that someone wrote requesting permission to attend a meeting. The memo said, “It is detrimental that I go to the meeting next week.”

Ironically, the misuse of the word implies the exact opposite of what the person meant. Detrimental implies that some negative outcome would be associated with the person’s attendance at the meeting. What the writer meant was “important.”

A misused big word has the opposite effect of making you sound smart! A big word used correctly, but unnecessarily, has the effect of making you sound pedantic. If you have to go get a dictionary to see what “pedantic” means, I have made my point!

Learn to write and communicate better today. TRW Consult offers a broad range of writing training; from the most basic writing skills to creative writing, business writing and communications and technical writing. Take advantage of our service offerings and become the writer you yearn to be. Contact us today on 08188708026 or send correspondence to mail@trwconsult.com

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do You Need A 50k Usd An A Loan / What's The Prospect Of A Phd Without Masters Certificate In The Academics? / Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba 2015 Aspirant Whatsapp Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.