Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,809 members, 7,837,910 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift From God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift From God? (627 Views)

5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / Tongues: A Fundamental Flaw In Pentecostalism / Is Speaking In Tongues A Must For Pentecostal Pastors? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift From God? by agwom(m): 10:23am On May 18, 2015
The disciples were given the essential ability to speak in the languages of the surrounding nations, so that they could preach the gospel in the native tongue of all those they met. If what we see in churches today is the same gift, why was it absent from the church for over 1800 years?

Throughout the Bible it is seen that God gave His people gifts of the spirit to empower them to do what was required for a particular purpose at a particular time.
It is easy to see why God saw it necessary to give the gift of Speaking in Tongues to the early Church. How else could uneducated men have been able to spread the gospel? The question is then, for what reason would the gift of Speaking in Tongues have been reintroduced to the church after such a long absence. What possible purpose does it serve now that the church is established in almost every corner of the world?

The Bible warns us that in the end times there will be a huge outpouring of false miracles, signs and wonders that would deceive much of the Christian world. Mark 13:22 "For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect".

Most Christians are totally oblivious to the fact that speaking in tongues is also practiced in many non-christian religions. It is practiced in African rituals and in voo doo and occult religions. Independent studies have found that there is no distinction in tongues between Christians and the followers of non-Christian (pagan) religions.

The fact that many churches who are practicing speaking in tongues are also teaching that we no longer have to obey the commandments, which directly contradicts what Jesus taught when He said Mathew 5:18 "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled" should make us step back and take a second look at whether this phenomenon being practiced in our churches is of God or from another source
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift From God? by lomprico(m): 10:25am On May 18, 2015
Tell them o! Shanteellee!

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift From God? by ayoku777(m): 11:51am On May 18, 2015
agwom:
The disciples were given the essential ability to speak in the languages of the surrounding nations, so that they could preach the gospel in the native tongue of all those they met. If what we see in churches today is the same gift, why was it absent from the church for over 1800 years?

Throughout the Bible it is seen that God gave His people gifts of the spirit to empower them to do what was required for a particular purpose at a particular time.
It is easy to see why God saw it necessary to give the gift of Speaking in Tongues to the early Church. How else could uneducated men have been able to spread the gospel? The question is then, for what reason would the gift of Speaking in Tongues have been reintroduced to the church after such a long absence. What possible purpose does it serve now that the church is established in almost every corner of the world?

The Bible warns us that in the end times there will be a huge outpouring of false miracles, signs and wonders that would deceive much of the Christian world. Mark 13:22 "For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect".

Most Christians are totally oblivious to the fact that speaking in tongues is also practiced in many non-christian religions. It is practiced in African rituals and in voo doo and occult religions. Independent studies have found that there is no distinction in tongues between Christians and the followers of non-Christian (pagan) religions.

The fact that many churches who are practicing speaking in tongues are also teaching that we no longer have to obey the commandments, which directly contradicts what Jesus taught when He said Mathew 5:18 "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled" should make us step back and take a second look at whether this phenomenon being practiced in our churches is of God or from another source

I don't speak in tongues so that someone else can hear or understand me. I don't even speak because I need the interpretation of what I'm saying. I speak in tongues for personal edification.

1Cor 14v2,4 -For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; ...

Just like studying the word, prayer, and fasting; speaking in tongues too is a tool or form of personal spiritual edification.

Infact, other than the day of pentecost; there was no other account of a place where people understood what those who were speaking in tongues were saying -unless they had the gift of interpretation of tongues.

The primary purpose of the gift of tongues is personal spiritual edification and for speaking mysteries with your heavenly Father beyond your natural understanding.

And that is still required now, and will always be required until the age to come. The need for personal spiritual edification and speaking mysteries beyond understanding with your Father did not end with the era of the apostles.

And secondly, I don't get your comparison of demonic tongues with that of the Holy ghost.

So because demons have counterfeit manifestations of spiritual gifts we should do away with the authentic gifts of the Spirit? Should we stop believing for miracles and the gifts of healing because the enemy can also perform lying wonders?

Just because voodoo priests speak in counterfeit tongues, doesn't mean I should not speak in the one my Father gave me.

There were false prophets and magicians too during the time of the apostles. And just as the apostles used the authentic power of God and gifts of the Spirit to put the fake and counterfeit to shame; we also require the operations of the authentic in our lives to do the same.

Speaking in tongues; just like all the other gifts of the Spirit are not only still available to our generation; they are still as needed as they've ever been under any era of the church age. They are the gifts of the Spirit to the church, not just to the apostles. And they will be needed by the church until the end of the church age.

That's why Jesus didn't say, These signs will accompany the apostles. He said they will accompany those who believe. That includes every true believer in every era of the church age.

Shalom

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift From God? by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 18, 2015
No, it's from guru
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift From God? by Anas09: 9:38pm On May 21, 2015
I have a Catholic background, my struggle with everything Catholic started when I was 12. That was when I was baptized. Mum and dad, all sibling, excet one, were Catholics. But something in me wasn't letting me continue as a catholic. No one preached the gospel to me. It was just inner conviction. I didn't know what was wrong wif Catholic at the time, but I couldn't stay there. At 12yrs. I got baptized, went for communion only that once, I was seriously restrained within me not to take communion again. Something kept telling me, it was wrong. The word born again was very far from me then, like I said, no one was there to tell me otherwise. When I got admission, I went to catholic church just the first and part of second first year. What spoiled the whole matter then, was a seminarian wanted to date me, I refused, he won't stop sending letters through another seminarian who also got on my case. Then again, there was a Rev Father who my friend wanted me to date, because she was doing it, so that we can all be in the shoes. I got it up to here, that was wen I decided weather my father who is a knight, kills me or not, I was out. Funny enough, everybody knows these things but no one talks abt them. I Ieft catholic, but went out with every inductrination I got from catholic church. I suspected everyone that was not catholic, including the Holy spirit. I didn't know him because I wasn't born again. After I graduated, I went to live with my aunty, I had to go to their church of course. Vibrant pentecostal Anytime the man of God mounted the alter, for me, I had already judged and condemned him. So whatever he said, was a lie, as far as I was concerned. I was looking for faults and every reason to criticise him. One day, I think that was the first time the Holy Spirit spoke to me. Inside the crowded church, wen I told myself that the man was a false prophet. I heard someone said to me "fasle prophets needs power to perform miracles, what does this man need power for? because he preaches the word, does he need power from satan to preach the Word of God? That got me. Then one day, in the evening service. I still remember the topic of the message and the passage of the Bible used that day. This was 1996. There was a move of the holy spirit that day. The pastor does not come down from the alter, he does not touch anyone. He just prayed a prayer after the message, called the Holy Ghost to move. I sat far behind. All of a sudden, my bones melted and I found myself on the floor. I tried quickly got up, I fell again, this time, I couldn't get up. Since no one touched me, I knew the holy spirit had something to do wif it. From that day, the urgh to pray and read my bible came into me. All I nu then was the Lord's prayer and hail mary. I needed to communicate with God. So I went to my Aunty and asked her to teach me how to pray. She said. When u have something to talk to ur father in the house, how do u do it? I said I will go to him, greet him first then ask. She said, go and do the same. Gradually. From 1minute to 5 to 10 and now. We can stand for three hrs interceding for the whole humanity. BUT, the issue of holy Ghost baptism which is evident by speaking in Tongues I resisted for yrs. When I finally opened up. It was in the night, laying down alone in the house. All I did, I asked for it, and it was like, someone said open ur mouth and say something. Wen I did, I heard myself speaking a language that sounded that Arabic to my ears. For two hours straight I spoke that language. I wanted to stop, I couldn't. Till today, I speak that same language anytime I want to communictae directly with God. Tongues r not for talking to humans, its a language u use to talk to God. So, the holy spirit is still here and tongues are still real. Yes, there r fake tongues that people just mimick, but if u are in tune with the holy spirit, u'll get baptized then u'll communicate in the language of the Angels. AND, I discovered that tongues are perculiar, we all don't speak the same tongues. No matter how hard I try to micmick another persons tongue, I can't . Encountering the holy spirit is the best experience ever. U can never no until u get the xperience for urself. Ask and you shall receive. Shalom.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

6 END TIME EVENTS - Part 3. You Need To Read This / What Happens After The Rapture / Should You Know The Day Of CHRIST

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.