Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,044 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn (1773 Views)

Paris Club Loot: Governor Agrees To Refund $2.5m / Mohammed Abacha Fights To Reclaim $1.3bn Oil Bloc, Sues FG, Shell, Agip / Fayose Wants Obasanjo To Refund The N10m Donation He Made Towards His Library (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by shachris01: 8:09pm On May 18, 2015

A High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in Apo, Abuja, on Monday ordered the Guaranteed Trust Bank Plc to refund N5.3bn illegally withdrawn from the account of one its customers, Dr. Ted Iseghohi Edwards.

Justice Valentine Ashi in his judgment ordered that the N5.3bn should attract 10 per cent interest from Monday, when judgment was delivered, till the time the money was paid back to the owner.

The court also ordered that the money should attract another 21 per cent interest from December 12, 2014 when GTB illegally withdrew the money, until the fund was eventually paid back to Edwards.

The judge, while reviewing the case, in his judgment held that the bank did not have any defence to its action of the withdrawal of the total sum of N5,240,516,186.21 from the customer’s account and thereby ordered the bank to pay the money to the owner through his Zenith Bank Plc account.

Edward, a lawyer of Edwards and Partners Law Firm, had initiated the suit, FCT/HC/CV/939/2015, in January 2015 following the alleged illegal withdrawal of the money on December 12, 2014.

The money was paid into the plaintiff’s law firm’s account with the GTB on January 2, 2014 by the Accountant-General of the Federation, Jonah Otunla.

The money was said to be for the settlement of a judgment got by his clients, Impecca Services Limited and His Royal Highness, Eze Ezekwo, against the Association of Local Government of Nigeria, as cost of consultancy services they rendered to the 774 local governments.

But in his judgment on Monday, Justice Ashi struck out the Central Bank of Nigeria, the Accountant General of the Federation, Minister of State for Finance, Anaocha Local Government Area and the Incorporated Trustees of ALGON from the suit as defendants on the grounds that they were not necessary parties.

The plaintiff stated, in the suit’s originating processes, that shortly after the money was paid into his account on behalf of his clients, GTB made some disbursements from the account as directed, but that he was only informed on December 12 by an official of the bank that the Central Bank of Nigeria had withdrawn the N5.3bn.

He said that when he enquired from the bank why it made deduction from his account without his consent, he said GTB only insisted that the withdrawal was made in obedience to CBN directive, which it could not disobey.

Justice Ashi held in his judgment that GTB betrayed the banker-customer relationship between it and the plaintiff.

The judge held that it was wrong for GTB to have made withdrawal from the customer’s account without the customer’s knowledge and consent.

The judge held that GTB’s claim that it was helpless and that the withdrawal was at the instance of CBN was of no moment.

http://.com/discussion/4636/court-orders-gtb-to-refund-customer-s-n5-3bn/p1
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by Haryour12(m): 8:18pm On May 18, 2015
ok
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by ki02020(m): 8:21pm On May 18, 2015
Time to sue my bank bank for every unlawful deductions termed as charges grin....but come to think of it what type consultancy service is those people rendring the LGAs that runs into billions of such figure I smell fish
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by SPAGGYYY(f): 8:21pm On May 18, 2015
[size=20pt]that is an act of stealing by gbank...but not until may 29

Stealing is not corruption[/size]
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by Ihinmi(m): 8:21pm On May 18, 2015
Good for them.
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 18, 2015
#5bn for Consultancy fee.. Mehn Jonathan and his people really suck Nigeria dry..
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by Ekiseme(m): 8:23pm On May 18, 2015
Ok,the court v spoken
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by bakila: 8:24pm On May 18, 2015
Good FAT brief.
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by Ekiseme(m): 8:25pm On May 18, 2015
olatunji21:
#5bn for Consultancy fee.. Mehn Jonathan and his people really suck Nigeria dry..
wetin this one dey yarn ? undecided
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by BabaNath(m): 8:25pm On May 18, 2015
The case be as e get
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by Ekiseme(m): 8:26pm On May 18, 2015
ki02020:
H
for Homosexual
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by Nobody: 8:36pm On May 18, 2015
Ok, gtb might need to go for recapitalisation if it refunds the N5.2bn to the account holder.
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by ki02020(m): 8:36pm On May 18, 2015
Ekiseme:
for Homosexual

:oyou got me red handed grin
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by baby124: 8:42pm On May 18, 2015
Edward just made himself a kidnapper magnet. He even comes from Edo. Bros no go village after this
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 18, 2015
I'm the Edward but I've got no big head
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by chumakk: 9:48pm On May 18, 2015
I was thinking that the money is those 200 every month gtb remove. It will be in billions if the court ask them to refund them
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by stevecantrell: 10:18pm On May 18, 2015
Ted Isegohi , the TRANSCORP guy ? LoL !
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by talksankey: 10:24pm On May 18, 2015
very nice, GTB commot my #200 pay me b4 i take una to court
Re: Court Orders GTB To Refund Customer’s N5.3bn by Nobody: 10:41pm On May 18, 2015
talksankey:
very nice, GTB commot my #200 pay me b4 i take una to court

You still de beg them?? Me de go Apo tomorrow to find the judge!! I bought airtime, 200 naira first, another 200 naira. GT were quick to send me debit alert, but no airtime!! I musto sue them!! angry angry angry

(1) (Reply)

Ben Bruce exposed on Twitter for lying. Screenshot / HND Degree To Be Changed To Bachelor Of Technology - JAMB / Ongoing Flyover Bridge In Lokoja Is Contractor Financed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.