Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,995 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? (2893 Views)

Four Risky Places To Use Your Debit Card Abroad / GTB Mobile Money Transfer - How Secure Is It? / Gtbank Launches Mobile Phone Money Transfer - First Of Its Kind! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by freecharles(m): 4:22pm On May 20, 2015
So, I received the message from GTBank that I can transfer money directly from my phone by dialling a couple of code. NO INTERNET NEEDED. Weeks before, I was told by the customer service inside the bank that by dialing a couple of code, I can recharge my number or any other number by dialing this code.

All you have to do is use the phone number you get bank alert on to dial *737*amount# to recharge the same line OR *737*amount*phoneNumber# to recharge any other line.

These methods seem fast and easy. In actual fact, they are easy. This might be their thought too but little did they know about the dangers associated with these.
The Risk us way bigger than the advantage. WAY BIGGER!

Here is a major loophole though:

Anybody can transfer your money once they have your number. Changing sim card is not an uncommon style of living in Nigeria (We change number for various reasons). Not to divert though, once a stranger gets the sim card you registered with, you're done for.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH THAT:
I was debited 30,000 naira few weeks after GTBank introduced the mobile recharge. I went to the bank to complain but all they could say was that that money is gone.

I was forced to ask, "why did I buy a GTBank token for 2250 naira with the intention of getting additional security when someone somewhere can transact with my line without knowing even my password or the last 3digits on my debit card?

That is a no no for me.

Guys, what is your take on this.

Do you think this is an awesome service?
Do you think this is the next thing to do by our dear GTBank when there are other issues that can be solved?
Do you think banks should follow this trend?

Can you share your experience with this service?

Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by kingabdull: 4:24pm On May 20, 2015
Thank God I am not using it

1 Like

Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by freecharles(m): 4:29pm On May 20, 2015
kingabdull:
Thank God I am not using it

Just make sure you keep your line safe ooo. It's a very unsecured service
Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by lafex: 4:35pm On May 20, 2015
This is a very good observation.
Though it is a good development but Gtbank should modify the code by inclusing the credit card PIN eg *737*amt*PIN*acct/phone number# because my money is not save in Gtbank with this code since anybody can use my phone to transfer my money to any other acct or phone number.

Gtbank shouid do something ASAP or else.....

1 Like

Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by kingabdull: 4:42pm On May 20, 2015
freecharles:

Just make sure you keep your line safe ooo. It's a very unsecured service

Noted thank you

1 Like

Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by freecharles(m): 4:53pm On May 20, 2015
lafex:
This is a very good observation.
Though it is a good development but Gtbank should modify the code by inclusing the credit card PIN eg *737*amt*PIN*acct/phone number# because my money is not save in Gtbank with this code since anybody can use my phone to transfer my money to any other acct or phone number.

Gtbank shouid do something ASAP or else.....

You have spoken. Good suggestion.
Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by akeensbussy(m): 7:34pm On May 20, 2015
I also saw that coming....they taught they are innovative not knowing they are risking the hard earned money of there depositors. I don't know who approved the service for them..CBN? I doubt.

plz move this to front page so that people will know that they are really in danger with this GTB dangerous innovation.
thank u.

1 Like

Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by bedfordng(m): 7:43pm On May 20, 2015
as for the money transfer to bank account, there is a security measure.to complete transfer, you will be required to insert the last 4 digit numbers on your atm card. They should also add pin code to this because if your atm is close by and someone have an idea about this, they can transfer your cash. Pincode should also be added to this in replacement of the 4digit number of the atm card, this way, only you know your pin or probably someone you asked to withdraw cash for you. But as for the recharge card, it is not secured at all.they should also add pincode to complete transactions.

1 Like

Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by freecharles(m): 9:48pm On May 20, 2015
bedfordng:
as for the money transfer to bank account, there is a security measure.to complete transfer, you will be required to insert the last 4 digit numbers on your atm card. They should also add pin code to this because if your atm is close by and someone have an idea about this, they can transfer your cash. Pincode should also be added to this in replacement of the 4digit number of the atm card, this way, only you know your pin or probably someone you asked to withdraw cash for you. But as for the recharge card, it is not secured at all.they should also add pincode to complete transactions.

The four digit number is true but it's not secured enough.
Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by arbitrage: 10:34pm On May 20, 2015
This service by GTBank is not the first after all because Stanbic, First Bank, Quickteller, Pocketmoni, etc, are doing same. I have been using Pocketmoni option since 2012 and Quickteller since 2013 but they require your secret PIN instead of ATM card 4 digits that GTB wants to rely on. May be that's the reason they reduced the amount to N30k per day unlike Quickteller and Pocketmoni where I have done like N1m at a go before

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by freecharles(m): 11:35pm On May 20, 2015
arbitrage:
This service by GTBank is not the first after all because Stanbic, First Bank, Quickteller, Pocketmoni, etc, are doing same. I have been using Pocketmoni option since 2012 and Quickteller since 2013 but they require your secret PIN instead of ATM card 4 digits that GTB wants to rely on. May be that's the reason they reduced the amount to N30k per day unlike Quickteller and Pocketmoni where I have done like N1m at a go before

They actually debited me 30K claiming I used it to buy recharge card. And I never purchased a single kobo of recharge card. They should even incorporate the use of their token if need be. Afterall, it was made for extra security.
Re: New Gtbank Mobile Money Transfer And Recharge: Risky? by freecharles(m): 7:40am On May 21, 2015
akeensbussy:
I also saw that coming....they taught they are innovative not knowing they are risking the hard earned money of there depositors. I don't know who approved the service for them..CBN? I doubt.

plz move this to front page so that people will know that they are really in danger with this GTB dangerous innovation.
thank u.

It's a let down for the bank not to be able to do anything about the funds too

(1) (Reply)

How To Open A Nigerian Domiciliary Account With 0$ And Without The Two Referees / Business To Do With 400k / Feedmill Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.