Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,786 members, 7,813,601 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

Why Ever Learn Programming? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Ever Learn Programming? (1283 Views)

I Want To Learn Programming. Which Language Should I Start With? / Which Is The Best Place To Learn Programming In Nigeria? / How Long Does It Really Take To Learn Programming( I Want To Know) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ever Learn Programming? by fallguy(m): 6:48pm On Sep 13, 2006
why should be a programmer in naija?

programmers dont have a life, most dont have hobbies besides staring at their screen
2)
a simple " hello world" still has bugs?- newbies can debug one all night.
3)
writing any substantial program takes months and sb else could have done it,
better, and pirated versions abound?
4)
programming is tedious, takes years to learn?
5)
u aint sure u of bread on ur table when the code finaally runs
6) programming is a backroom job - the manager takes all the glory?
7)programmers dont make headlines, ha what a life?
coolprogramming requires dozens of hours of power , a rarity in naija
9) a programmer without a degree is regarded as a technician
10) u get a flatter arse than u mama gave u,cuz u sit endless hours at a time
11)u risk gettin arthritis early - at least in ur fingers before it spread to other body parts
12) u always chasing latest fads,
today its java,tomorrow dot Net, next week php, next month C# and so on,
13)
a programmer relaxes by dissing other programmers kinda like east coast west coast thing:
java programmers say C++ is rubbish,
C++ coders retort back;
14) programmers neva rise to positions of great importance nationally,
kinda like uplifting a motor mechanic to sit on state guvnor.-
15) after studying for 10 yrs , u only know a drop in the bucket ,
16) programmers are a dime a dozen - despite ur knowledge ur replaceable

17)at the rooot programming is a very dry subject and books that make it interesting
only skim the surface deep - they neva give u full working codes,
cuz a full working code block would probably require a different book of same size
18)
every non - programmer looks at ur code , ur sweat of endless debugging and says,
"oh, that's simple!!" angry
Re: Why Ever Learn Programming? by sbucareer(f): 11:45am On Sep 14, 2006

Why does a programmer wants to site at the "state guvnor.- " I barely understood you words, beside a person with poor language or cognitive skill would find programming difficult, fact.

Why would Bill Gates, Larry Page, Eric Schmidt,  etc wants to become American President? Of-course they can if they wishes to. Who ever told you that a programmer has boring life? I would like to see you findings on this.

I will tell you about my work later, let start with big companies, at MS you are not allow to write more than 25 lines of code a day. Developing Windows, MS employed about 3,000 programmers, hence  25x3000 = 75000 lines of window code everyday. Most of windows OS takes about three years to develop.

Furthermore, 75000x52 weeks that make a year =3900000 x 3 years =11700000. I did not even get the Maths properly, I heard that window code is about 80Million lines of code.

You are still living in the past when programming job do not have separation of task, in economics, they use to say division of labour.

Before, in the past, designing an enterprise application involves designing and developing the application server, then designing the transaction rules and then employing programmer to design and develop the middleware and finally the programmers to code the application or business logic.

But look at it now, there are many application server about, there are many middlewares about, and many transcation management about.

I do not share you opinion that programmers of 21 century are out of touch with life, many are becoming millionaires and showing their faces on top magazines. You sound like a sleuth of programmers.

In my work place, I hope they are not reading this, I work  eight hours of any time of my choice, We have programmers that like night and those that like day, I included. We have a software that records how many hours you spent at work. Not how many hours worked. Some time I barely do any work. Being a Nigeria man I have additional job, so tell me the life I do not have?

I go to parties, clubs, have a girlfriend, she thinks the world of me and drive a fantastic Mercedes benz CLK 270 Kompressor AMG. Leave in a house of my choice and choose the time I go to work. My brother you must be in the wrong job to spew this chasm in your knowledge and personal life of IT professionals.

Re: Why Ever Learn Programming? by skima(m): 12:54pm On Sep 14, 2006
I think the guy just heard all this from someone, who no less about the lifestyle of programmer.

For anything you do in life, your personal (time) management will determine how u will enjoy or hate your job.

so, man dont say want you dont know much about.
Re: Why Ever Learn Programming? by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:43pm On Sep 14, 2006
when are we going to have robots abi na cyborgs in our midst.
with cyborgs
the police wont be using humans to fight crime,
banks will have formidable security
, risky jobs will be done by machines
, mama's will relax more instead of endless hours in the kitchen.
the list is endless,
inf act i believe the wonder will eclipse the impact of both the automobile
and
computer age.
but i wonder what's stalling the reality?
aint the world techy enough to spurn this ' bad ' guys.

fallguy this was an article you posted. for this robots to work they would need a PROGRAMMER to make them function or do you expect them to work themselves. Also about the changes, its everywhere you don't expect wat you learnt in primary school as at then to be taught now, there has to be development. And since technology improves everyday we just have to move with the trend. Programming isn't that bad it's quite interesting their findings aren;t limited to computers it goes down to health such as nano technology it needs a software which is done by the programmer. also automobiles,Military,phones,Architecture etc.
Re: Why Ever Learn Programming? by fallguy(m): 8:52pm On Sep 15, 2006
sbu , u aint in naija ,
u talking of yankee and britain where work methods are far from arcane
in nigeria,
get my context,
and in business most programmers are regarded as back room boys,
thats why many rush to get an mba , later on .
as for programmers not having a life ,
admit ,coding is a terribly geeky thing to do,
writing a full blown app, as an itenerant nigerian programmer will have to do , to see
some cash flow , needs serious, night long debugging,
in certain cases where programming power is sparse - eg india - the rush to deliver to
market means putting so much work load on the programmers,
this is tasking,
yeah, if u hit the right employer u'll see the juice [money] alright,
but it time expensive.
secondly,look at what java is turning into,
an obese behemoth that can't control itself,and a programmer has to
utilize literally ,thousands of API's ,men the more u learn the more it spawns.
look at php, it aimed at simplicity, but its helper classes are so large,
u see my point,
the basics of coding is easy,afterall its all logic.
but the learning, - a lifetime,
the debugging - ha ! a nightmare.
if u were'nt well paid would programming be such fun?
Re: Why Ever Learn Programming? by sbucareer(f): 9:30pm On Sep 15, 2006

There is some truth to what you are saying fallguy. But it is not always the way you twig it. I can understand the behemoth nature of programming but it equally takes a behemoth person to go head to head with the obese language(s).

I really do not know your frustration with programming or programmer or even IT. But the fact that most of your claim is centered on African IT, particularly Nigeria is a belcher.

I might be in a good job now, it took me years and education to get here like any other thing you do in life. Have you consider Doctors, Lawyers, and Engineers who would stay up all night going through law books when they have case? Doctors going through medical books journals when they have medical fragmentary surgery. Engineers at the drawing boards when a major project is underway.

Do you think Aeroplane was build at the front-door? Or do you think all the avionics on the plane, I belt you would like to fly one day to visit London or the USA or any other place would be possible if it wasn't these people you personally have a beef with?
Re: Why Ever Learn Programming? by alexis(m): 9:37pm On Sep 15, 2006
fallguy,

Quick Question, are you a programmer?.

Listen dude - programming is an art, it's like creative creating or film directing and once you know your shit, it will be like cake. You don't have to be in Yankee or Jand to get paid well, once you are good and talented programmer, you can make it very well in life.

I left Nigeria in 2004 from Lagos City Computer College and Yaba Tech knowing how to code in basic programming only, I couldn't rest because of cult boyz wahala so I had to come to Ghana to start over. I got to Ghana and as God would have it I got a night job as a support technician.

I got a scholarship from my employers because of my programming skills, I even started sending money back to my parents. So, if you are good you are good my friend.

I will agree that others might take the credit but you are still the boss when it comes down to the nitty-gretty and that counts. My boss had to wait for me once because I was in class and we had to go to coca-cola ghana and I was needed urgently.

Coding is not a terrible geeky thing to do - people think you are a geek because you solve problems, good programmers can have no idea in other fields but you will be amazed on how they can get things done outside their profession.

There are so many ways to skin a cat - there are 1001 ways to doing a certain tasks, APIs tend to help us and simplify our work, it doesn't mean you will have to know about all the APIs the world has to offer, haba - you be God. Know the basics and the foundation and start exploring planes others fair to trend.
Re: Why Ever Learn Programming? by sbucareer(f): 6:34pm On Sep 16, 2006

alexis: There are so many ways to skin a cat - there are 1001 ways to doing a certain tasks, APIs tend to help us and simplify our work, it doesn't mean you will have to know about all the APIs the world has to offer, haba - you be God. Know the basics and the foundation and start exploring planes others fair to trend.

That is why programmers keep inventing frameworks

Re: Why Ever Learn Programming? by fallguy(m): 9:26pm On Sep 17, 2006
alexia,

am i a programmer?
i'm still learning but not all that of a newbee,
i'm writing out of my experience with the lifestyle coder's have to adopt
i began by accident , and i've grown by self study,
i'm learning data structures in java,
the problem is my lifestyle isnt what it used to be,
i think the high in programming is seeing ur code run,
but my friends and family ,they surfer because
from writing the code to running it to moving on to the next chapter takes time
something 'java programming for dummies' didnt tell me',
so i have to make a lot of sacrifices and i still have a lot a whooping lot to learn!!

maybe i'm confused but i international adverts i see require so much of programmers
and it's not something that u could rush thru in a few months,
unlike school exams where u could jack overnight,not so with code ,
if it dont work, u failed,period. no excuses, and getting code to behave seems
sth of experience - so u see programmers are geeky not by their consent.
code just gat to run!
Re: Why Ever Learn Programming? by alexis(m): 9:43pm On Sep 18, 2006
Somethings come easy for some people, some don't; programming is one of those things. Is it geeky, yes and no. Yes for people that look at programming as hard and no to people who don't.

Is it a worthy profession, you bet. Will it be around for the next decade - I can tell you for the next century.

(1) (Reply)

Daylight Savings Time And Robust Code / Learning Drupal(how Do I Go Bout It) / Open Coursewares And Free Distance Learning Resources (computer Science Centric)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.