Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,416 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Why You Should Always Wash New Clothes? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Should Always Wash New Clothes? (610 Views)

3 Body Parts You Always Forget To Wash (photos) / Man Removes Clothes, Runs Unclad In Utako, Abuja / Tight Clothes Can Harm You Really Badly..... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Always Wash New Clothes? by playces: 1:54pm On May 21, 2015
Well, not everyone knows this. I’m particularly guilty until a friend enlightened me about the consequences. Before, I’d want to ‘launch’ the new clothe before I wash it. I used to think its crispy, straightened and glowing nature will be noticed and appreciated by people. Also, most people don’t find it necessary because they think it’s only dirty clothes that need to be washed.
We live in a country that serves as a depot for inferior, second hand goods from other countries. Most of these products find their way in the market with no detailed testing carried out on them. Hence, the need to be health conscious.
New clothes should be washed before they are worn. According to Professor Belsito , a dermatologist, chemicals used to give garments a wrinkle free look could be responsible for rashes, itching and all manner of allergic skin reactions. He also said most synthetic textiles are colored with azo-aniline dyes, which can cause a severe skin reaction akin to poison ivy in the small population of people allergic to them. For others, reactions to dyes are less extreme, and may result in slightly inflamed, dry, itchy patches of skin
Also, untold numbers of people have probably tried the garment on their body. These clothes can harbor lice and bugs. Professor Belsito said lice could be possibly transmitted from store to store. ‘Lice can’t live without a host, but they tend to attach better to natural fibers than synthetic’.
The state of hygiene of the people cannot be determined. Some infections can be transmitted via secretion especially sweat. Bacteria and fungi inhabit in these secretions and can be transferred if the same fabric is worn by another person. Sellers will try as much to convince you that it’s the perfect fit for you. They will tell to wear it and you can’t tell who wore it before you.
It is therefore advised that all new clothing is washed at least once- with a double rinse before wearing, no matter what the fabric.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

New HIV Vaccine Shows Promise In Animal Trials....reuters / Doctors In The House Does Worms Spread To Part Of Body Pls / OMG: See Pictures Of Girls Born Without A Face

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.