Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,849 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:26 AM

If Programming Languages Were Religions... - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / If Programming Languages Were Religions... (3563 Views)

If Programming Languages Were Countries, Which country Would Each Lang represent / If Programming Languages Are Countries, Which Would Nigeria Be / If Programming Languages Were Countries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Raychux23(m): 10:34pm On May 22, 2015
C would be Judaism - it's old and restrictive, but most of the world is familiar with its laws and respects them. The catch is, you can't convert into it - you're either into it from the start, or you will think that it's insanity. Also, when things go wrong, many people are willing to blame the problems of the world on it.

Java would be Fundamentalist Christianity - it's theoretically based on C, but it voids so many of the old laws that it doesn't feel like the original at all. Instead, it adds its own set of rigid rules, which its followers believe to be far superior to the original. Not only are they certain that it's the best language in the world, but they're willing to burn those who disagree at the stake.

PHP would be Cafeteria Christianity - Fights with Java for the web market. It draws a few concepts from C and Java, but only those that it really likes. Maybe it's not as coherent as other languages, but at least it leaves you with much more freedom and ostensibly keeps the core idea of the whole thing. Also, the whole concept of "goto hell" was abandoned.

C++ would be Islam - It takes C and not only keeps all its laws, but adds a very complex new set of laws on top of it. It's so versatile that it can be used to be the foundation of anything, from great atrocities to beautiful works of art. Its followers are convinced that it is the ultimate universal language, and may be angered by those who disagree. Also, if you insult it or its founder, you'll probably be threatened with death by more radical followers.

C# would be Mormonism - At first glance, it's the same as Java, but at a closer look you realize that it's controlled by a single corporation (which many Java followers believe to be evil), and that many theological concepts are quite different. You suspect that it'd probably be nice, if only all the followers of Java wouldn't discriminate so much against you for following it.

Lisp would be Zen Buddhism - There is no syntax, there is no centralization of dogma, there are no deities to worship. The entire universe is there at your reach - if only you are enlightened enough to grasp it. Some say that it's not a language at all; others say that it's the only language that makes sense.

Erlang would be Hinduism - It's another strange language that doesn't look like it could be used for anything, but unlike most other modern languages, it's built around the concept of multiple simultaneous deities.

Perl would be Voodoo - An incomprehensible series of arcane incantations that involve the blood of goats and permanently corrupt your soul. Often used when your boss requires you to do an urgent task at 21:00 on Friday night.

Ruby would be Neo-Paganism - A mixture of different languages and ideas that was beaten together into something that might be identified
as a language. Its adherents are growing fast, and although most people look at them suspiciously, they are mostly well-meaning people with no intention of harming anyone.

Python would be Humanism : It's simple, nonrestrictive, and all you need to follow it is common sense. Many of the followers claim to feel relieved from all the burden imposed by other languages, and that they have rediscovered the joy of programming. There are some who say that it is a form of pseudo-code.

Visual Basic would be Satanism - Except that you don't REALLY need to sell your soul to be a Satanist...

Wat ur religion?

www.devbattles.com/en/sand/post-1254

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by omoelu1(m): 11:05pm On May 22, 2015
That was epic.
Humanism is my religion though.
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by thewebcraft(m): 11:40pm On May 22, 2015
Wow really cool,
Raychux23:

Java Fundamentalist Christianity

PHP Cafeteria Christianity

C++ Islam

C# Mormonism

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Craigston: 11:52pm On May 22, 2015
I hope to be multi-religious.
Judaism, Fundamentalist Christianity, Cafeteria Christianity, Islam, Voodoo, Neo-paganism and Humanism.
What would JavaScript be then?
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Fulaman198(m): 3:51am On May 23, 2015
ROFL

1 Like

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Raychux23(m): 10:20am On May 23, 2015

Javascript wud b a self acclaimed righteousman that bliv he doesn't hv 2 fight wit any other religion 4 superiority but cn embrace all religion mst especially if they bliv in a all knowledge deity(the internet).
He also bliv in togetherness n communing wit one anoda is d purpose of life.

3 Likes

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by blueyedgeek(m): 11:21am On May 23, 2015
Raychux23:

Javascript wud b a self acclaimed righteousman that bliv he doesn't hv 2 fight wit any other religion 4 superiority but cn embrace all religion mst especially if they bliv in a all knowledge deity(the internet).

That's my religion.
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Mrval20(m): 2:17pm On May 23, 2015
What about Assembly?

By the way, Humanism all the way!

1 Like

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by omoelu1(m): 5:04pm On May 23, 2015
Mrval20:
What about Assembly?

I see you my brother smiley

1 Like

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Fulaman198(m): 6:11pm On May 23, 2015
Darn lol I like Java and C++ undecided. But I also like Perl and Python.
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Dmayor7(m): 10:41pm On May 23, 2015
meeeeeen so PERL na voodoo? All those arcane languages and incarntations used by merlin and them witchmaster fit come from that language o..... Ok na....ehmmm mak i go buy some books on PERL..

Abi i fit use am construct an app wey fit call your name, your papas name, your papa papa papas name, and them ancestors to the 100th generation....

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaa ROFL..

2 Likes

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Raychux23(m): 5:42am On May 24, 2015
Mrval20:
What about Assembly?
Assembly would be Taoism - It is so different from other languages that many people don't understand how can anyone use it to produce anything useful. Its followers believe that it's the true path to wisdom, but that wisdom is beyond the grasp of most mortals.

2 Likes

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Mrval20(m): 11:49am On May 24, 2015
Raychux23:

Assembly would be Taoism - It is so different from
other languages that many people don't
understand how can anyone use it to produce
anything useful. Its followers believe that it's the
true path to wisdom, but that wisdom is beyond
the grasp of most mortals.
Wow, epic!
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Adaeze003(f): 6:13pm On May 24, 2015
Cafeteria Christianity... new to the religion tho embarassed

Good job @op... really funny.

ccJavanian #frontpageworthy
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Raychux23(m): 2:52pm On May 25, 2015
COBOL would be Ancient Paganism - There was once a time when it ruled over a vast region and was important, but nowadays it's almost dead, for the good of us all. Although many were scarred by the rituals demanded by its deities, there are some who insist on keeping it alive even today.

1 Like

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Raychux23(m): 3:16pm On May 26, 2015
HTML - Some people still see it as a religion while a majority sees it as a lifestyle. Simply put, all religion people can be seen casually dress (say a jean and a shirt) but alot of some die hard, older religious people still hold strong to their traditional attire and see these casual dressers as amateurs if being casual is their only form of dressing.
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Raychux23(m): 11:15am On May 27, 2015
Machine code would be man's first religion. This was the first way man interact with a deity(computer). The practice of this religion or calling as best appropriate to you, can be likes to the early prophets of old with long beard. They were able to interact with a deity and only them knw till date, the only language to communicate with him one on one.
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by NumberOne2(m): 12:08pm On May 27, 2015
That list is not complete. Its missing HTML and JavaScript the King and Queen of the Internet?

I think they fall into Pentecostal... come as you are.
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Raychux23(m): 12:17pm On May 27, 2015
NumberOne2:
That list is not complete. Its missing HTML and JavaScript the King and Queen of the Internet?

I think they fall into Pentecostal... come as you are.

NumberOne2 I later add those in between the body of the trend, jst search properly, or stil

HTML - Some people still see it as a religion while a majority sees it as a lifestyle. Simply put, all religion people can be seen casually dress (say a jean and a shirt) but alot of some die hard, older religious people still hold strong to their traditional attire and see these casual dressers as amateurs if being casual is their only form of dressing.

Although ur Pentecostal notion ws cool "Come as u are"

1 Like

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by wolexme(m): 1:10pm On May 28, 2015
I believe in Islam and I am a full member of cafeteria Christianity. I am always a self acclaimed righteous man (js) with the hope of making the later my one and only religion in world web only if its new temple (node.js) can stand the test of time.

1 Like

Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by omoelu1(m): 2:21pm On May 28, 2015
wolexme:
I believe in Islam and I am a full member of cafeteria Christianity. I am always a self acclaimed righteous man (js) with the hope of making the later my one and only religion in world web only if its new temple (node.js) can stand the test of time.
Interesting. Sounds like a poem
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by 10inchesDk: 3:53pm On May 28, 2015
I believe atheist is Humanism

right? #TeamPhyton
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Nmeri17: 1:22am On Jun 02, 2015
grin grin

that perl religion though.. .. .. very creepy lipsrsealed
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by slimfresh(m): 9:49pm On Aug 10, 2015
Mormonism all d way
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Raychux23(m): 9:02pm On Apr 13, 2017
Lalasticlala, mynd44

For programmers fun
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by uthmanbakar: 8:34am On Apr 14, 2017
Java Fundamentalist Christianity

PHP Christianity

C++ Islam

hope to add Python Humanism soon grin. kool post
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by asalimpo(m): 9:10pm On Apr 15, 2017
Got anything against fp? haskell,scala,clojure?
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by romme2u: 10:27am On Apr 16, 2017
how did i miss this wonderful piece.

King troll dhtml18, you needed here
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 16, 2017
Lol cheesy
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by stack1(m): 8:07pm On Apr 16, 2017
Mehn after a lon, boring, broke-ass easter, this made my day, thanks OP grin cheesy
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by stack1(m): 8:08pm On Apr 16, 2017
Perl made me laff the hardest, though i like perl
Re: If Programming Languages Were Religions... by stack1(m): 8:10pm On Apr 16, 2017
Raychux23:
COBOL would be Ancient Paganism - There was
once a time when it ruled over a vast region
and was important, but nowadays it's almost
dead, for the good of us all. Although many
were scarred by the rituals demanded by its
deities, there are some who insist on keeping it
alive even today.

Dont be suprised there are still millions of lines of COBOL code still been maintained in coporate business software sector

(1) (2) (Reply)

Come Here To Learn Java In Pidgin / HELP! My Exposure To My System Due To Coding And Research Is Affecting My Eye. / The Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.