Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,457 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis (2809 Views)

A nairalander built a solution to fix the gap between the artisans and the mass / Adenuga @ 63: The Power Of Silence. / Economic Crisis: Five Banks’ Profit Drop By N54bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by Barcholder: 5:58am On May 25, 2015
With the crippling fuel shortages that are currently hitting the country, resulting in the closure of key businesses in the economy, such as banks, radio stations, and even affecting the telecommunications networks, it should finally become crystal clear that Nigerians cannot continue to rely on generators for power.

Solar energy is far and away the most efficient and cost effective source of power in Nigeria today, and is a very simple technology to roll out and operate. As Nigeria's number one Solar Power company, we have seen a huge surge of demand this year, as more and more businesses and homes decide to end their suffering and switch to Solar.

We need to be smart and realise that the use of generators is not only extremely expensive, but also results in massive levels of pollution to the environment.

For more information about Solar Power, and how you can easily and cheaply become power independent, please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Regards

Uvie Ugono
Founder & CE0
Solynta Energy

Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by rottennaija(m): 6:11am On May 25, 2015
It may be, but only when it's cost reduces
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by undergoals: 1:10pm On May 25, 2015
How much is the minimum job or solar you can do..
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by Barcholder: 9:43pm On May 25, 2015
rottennaija:
It may be, but only when it's cost reduces

This is where you are absolutely wrong sir, the costs are very low now. You can power a 3 bedroom flat for 24 hours a day from as little as N150,000 upfront payment, with the balance of N50,000 per month for 12 months, or, N225,000 upfront payment, followed by N21,875 per month for 24 months.

90% of my customers buy on one of our easy payment plans, which basically means that once you've paid the upfront deposit, and we install the system, your monthly payments are usually less that what you are currently spending on fuel each month, for just 8 hours a day of power, whereas with Solar, you have uninterrupted 24 hours a day of power.

To show you how popular our easy payment offering is, we have sold and installed over 10 systems in just the last week and a half alone, and all without any form of advertising whatsoever.

For more information, check out our website at wwwdotsolyntadotcomdotng

Regards

Uvie
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by Barcholder: 9:47pm On May 25, 2015
undergoals:
How much is the minimum job or solar you can do..

We can power a typical self con for just N80,000 upfront, followed by 20 monthly payments of N11,000, after which you finish payments.

Solar is actually meant for the masses, but there's a huge misconception in Nigeria that's it's a product for the rich only. Nothing could be further from the truth, and the majority of my customers are ordinary working class Nigerians, who currently run generators between 2KVA and 5KVA.

Check out our website at wwwdotsolyntadotcomdotng for further information.

Regards

Uvie
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by rottennaija(m): 9:48pm On May 25, 2015
Barcholder:

This is where you are absolutely wrong sir, the costs are very low now. You can power a 3 bedroom flat for 24 hours a day from as little as N150,000 upfront payment, with the balance of N50,000 per month for 12 months, or, N225,000 upfront payment, followed by N21,875 per month for 24 months.

90% of my customers buy on one of our easy payment plans, which basically means that once you've paid the upfront deposit, and we install the system, your monthly payments are usually less that what you are currently spending on fuel each month, for just 8 hours a day of power, whereas with Solar, you have uninterrupted 24 hours a day of power.

To show you how popular our easy payment offering is, we have sold and installed over 10 systems in just the last week and a half alone, and all without any form of advertising whatsoever.

For more information, check out our website at wwwdotsolyntadotcomdotng

Regards

Uvie

Humm. I'll hv to calculate a little
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by refreshrate: 9:54pm On May 25, 2015
Barcholder:

We can power a typical self con for just N80,000 upfront, followed by 20 monthly payments of N11,000, after which you finish payments.

Solar is actually meant for the masses, but there's a huge misconception in Nigeria that's it's a product for the rich only. Nothing could be further from the truth, and the majority of my customers are ordinary working class Nigerians, who currently run generators between 2KVA and 5KVA.

Check out our website at wwwdotsolyntadotcomdotng for further information.

Regards

Uvie

This price, masses?

Please ehn dont ever go into politics i beg you with the name of whatever it is you worship

2 Likes

Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by Barcholder: 1:59am On May 26, 2015
refreshrate:

This price, masses?

Please ehn dont ever go into politics i beg you with the name of whatever it is you worship

I won't dignify your comment with a response.
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by nextstep(m): 1:15pm On Jul 28, 2015
Hi OP,

I have seen some of your posts on Facebook. It might be a good idea to repost some of your favorites here with a little explanation of electricity generated, cost, what they are powering, and any other interesting tidbits.

I really like your strategy of arranging financing for customers as that is our main worry (how to outlay such a huge amount of cash)

I'm interested in a 100% off-grid solution about 1kva for one small 24v dc-only building (no inverter) I'm experimenting with. What kind of cost and payment plan would we be looking at?
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by bahmsy(m): 11:47pm On Jun 28, 2016
Barcholder:
With the crippling fuel shortages that are currently hitting the country, resulting in the closure of key businesses in the economy, such as banks, radio stations, and even affecting the telecommunications networks, it should finally become crystal clear that Nigerians cannot continue to rely on generators for power.

Solar energy is far and away the most efficient and cost effective source of power in Nigeria today, and is a very simple technology to roll out and operate. As Nigeria's number one Solar Power company, we have seen a huge surge of demand this year, as more and more businesses and homes decide to end their suffering and switch to Solar.

We need to be smart and realise that the use of generators is not only extremely expensive, but also results in massive levels of pollution to the environment.

For more information about Solar Power, and how you can easily and cheaply become power independent, please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Regards

Uvie Ugono
Founder & CE0
Solynta Energy
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by Nobody: 5:42am On Jun 29, 2016
Barcholder:

I won't dignify your comment with a response.

I agree with the guy. Your price is frightening. If you were a politician, you would do very badly. No offense oo. Just my opinion.
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by nextstep(m): 6:03am On Jun 29, 2016
refreshrate:

This price, masses?

I just saw this post, but I think your response deserves a reply. There are lots of people who spend about 60k-80k on a 2kVA generator. They may not be "the masses", but it's still a significant market. If they were then to power that gen from 5pm-5am (to run AC or fans while they sleep), how much petrol would that be per month? When you add the cost of servicing it, you can easily start approaching 5k-10k/month. That is, if you're lucky enough to buy fuel at a decent price, with all the chronic shortages we've been having. I also think as you require more power (a heavier gen), you would also require a larger solar installation, but the cost of running a gen+2years fuel remains on par with an equivalent solar installation.

With solar, at least fuel shortage or high price is no longer your concern; there's very little noise (the charge controllers do have fans), and certainly no air pollution.
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by nextstep(m): 6:05am On Jun 29, 2016
I just noticed that "the masses", when they buy a gen, might go for a 0.9kVA or equivalent ("I better pass my neighbour" Tiger brand). If a 1kW solar solution can be sold for 15k-20k, then I could see solar going after the lower end of the generator market. Most people would be happy with the ability to charge their phone, turn on some lights, and a fan. If they just disconnect from PHCN, then they can pool the 2k-4k monthly bills.
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by africanman85: 7:29am On Jun 29, 2016
I don't understand this solar of a thing o. Do I need to pay monthly bills after d solar installation ?
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by aloeman15(m): 7:59am On Jun 29, 2016
I think we can ask for 'layman's terms'.
Based on current appliance and fuel costs, also assuming you're buying all the equipment brand new-
How much for solar for 1watt?
How much for petrol for 1watt?
How much for diesel for 1watt?
Oya. Ansaram.
nextstep:
I just noticed that "the masses", when they buy a gen, might go for a 0.9kVA or equivalent ("I better pass my neighbour" Tiger brand). If a 1kW solar solution can be sold for 15k-20k, then I could see solar going after the lower end of the generator market. Most people would be happy with the ability to charge their phone, turn on some lights, and a fan. If they just disconnect from PHCN, then they can pool the 2k-4k monthly bills.
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by SIRKAY98(m): 9:29am On Jun 29, 2016
Solar is the best am enjoying mine for the past 4 years now. Am now a king in my area ifo ogun state.
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by refreshrate: 9:47am On Jun 29, 2016
nextstep:

I just saw this post, but I think your response deserves a reply. There are lots of people who spend about 60k-80k on a 2kVA generator. They may not be "the masses", but it's still a significant market. If they were then to power that gen from 5pm-5am (to run AC or fans while they sleep), how much petrol would that be per month? When you add the cost of servicing it, you can easily start approaching 5k-10k/month. That is, if you're lucky enough to buy fuel at a decent price, with all the chronic shortages we've been having. I also think as you require more power (a heavier gen), you would also require a larger solar installation, but the cost of running a gen+2years fuel remains on par with an equivalent solar installation.

With solar, at least fuel shortage or high price is no longer your concern; there's very little noise (the charge controllers do have fans), and certainly no air pollution.

Keyword: messes.
Understand that then read your posts again.
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by hotobo(m): 11:21am On Jun 29, 2016
Does your service cover Abuja/niger state
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by nextstep(m): 7:47pm On Jun 29, 2016
refreshrate:

Keyword: messes.
Understand that then read your posts again.

What do you mean? Who buys "I pass my neighbour"? No be masses?
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by nextstep(m): 8:21pm On Jun 29, 2016
aloeman15:
I think we can ask for 'layman's terms'.
Based on current appliance and fuel costs, also assuming you're buying all the equipment brand new-
How much for solar for 1watt?
How much for petrol for 1watt?
How much for diesel for 1watt?
Oya. Ansaram.

OK let me see if I can try, to calculate cost amortized over 3-year period, if you were to use gen only (no connection to PHCN)

900VA generator is 20k, fuel per day is about 300naira, servicing per month is about 2k.
20k + 3*360*300 + 3*12*2k = 20k + 324k + 72k = 416k total cost of ownership = 416k/900 = gen: 462naira/Watt over 3 years

Equivalent 1kW solar system, 4 240W panels + 2 12V 100AH batteries + 24v 20A pwm charger + 1kVA inverter (prices from konga.com, pscsolaruk.com)
4*70k + 2*40k + 15k + 50k = 425k total cost of ownership = 425k/1000 = solar: 425naira/Watt over 3 years.

Also consider that fuel cost might double (86-145), or not even be available, servicing will get more expensive, etc. in that 3-year span.
We should probably be calculating cost per kWh, but if the hours of use are the same in both cases, the ratio of cost will still be the same:
462/425 = 1.08% (i.e. it would cost almost 10% more to run your gen daily for 3 years)

One could argue that you won't run the gen constantly since you'd be connected to PHCN (2k/month?), for which you'd have to pay 3*12*2k = 72k. And in return you get 1-2 hours of light per day on average.

Then I'd retort that if you ran only DC equipment, you could skip the inverter and save 50k.

One could also argue that the numbers can be skewed in any direction (e.g. you spent less on fuel, or you paid more per solar panel), but the ratio is not going to range more than 0.8 (solar is more expensive) to 1.2 (gen is more expensive), which for me implies that with savings in the right places, your cost would still be about the same.

I don't want to even consider diesel because that's a whole different level of ballin'
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by refreshrate: 11:32pm On Jun 29, 2016
nextstep:

What do you mean? Who buys "I pass my neighbour"? No be masses?

Seriously you're comparing price of I better pass my neighbour with the cost of your solar panels?

Like seriously ?
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by aloeman15(m): 2:26am On Jun 30, 2016
You realize that most batteries will need replacing by then.
Also, solar panels don't give 100% of their power rating.
Lastly, they also suffer wear and tear, with maintenance required.
nextstep:

OK let me see if I can try, to calculate cost amortized over 3-year period, if you were to use gen only
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by twentyk(m): 3:53am On Jun 30, 2016
What am after is if this (solar)can be learned...I mean the construction and everything.... I have been watching some videos on YouTube and Google which have helped But I need first hand experience and stuff like that.....I hope you guyz have an idea of what am getting at......
We currently use solar to power the pumping machine in my hostel and I can tell you we will forever have water even though no light.....I hope I get answers though cuz solar is the THING now.....
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by SIRKAY98(m): 5:24am On Jun 30, 2016
twentyk:
What am after is if this (solar)can be learned...I mean the construction and everything.... I have been watching some videos on YouTube and Google which have helped But I need first hand experience and stuff like that.....I hope you guyz have an idea of what am getting at......
We currently use solar to power the pumping machine in my hostel and I can tell you we will forever have water even though no light.....I hope I get answers though cuz solar is the THING now.....

Yes solar and inverter can be built and learned also. I studied Electrical Electronics in Lagos state polytechnic Ikorodu Campus

In 2006/2007 Session . In our OND days we built solar panels and inverter..so my dear its possible. If u r student of ELECT/ELECT it will be easier...if you check my earlier post here .i have been using all this solar things for the past four years and am so happy am still enjoying it till now... i have 500watt per/hour solar charging system that will charge my battery and i cannot but remain a king in my area... if you can get all the matterials and u hv d time we r in for a deal.
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by SIRKAY98(m): 5:47am On Jun 30, 2016
nextstep:

OK let me see if I can try, to calculate cost amortized over 3-year period, if you were to use gen only (no connection to PHCN)

900VA generator is 20k, fuel per day is about 300naira, servicing per month is about 2k.
20k + 3*360*300 + 3*12*2k = 20k + 324k + 72k = 416k total cost of ownership = 416k/900 = gen: 462naira/Watt over 3 years

Equivalent 1kW solar system, 4 240W panels + 2 12V 100AH batteries + 24v 20A pwm charger + 1kVA inverter (prices from konga.com, pscsolaruk.com)
4*70k + 2*40k + 15k + 50k = 425k total cost of ownership = 425k/1000 = solar: 425naira/Watt over 3 years.

Also consider that fuel cost might double (86-145), or not even be available, servicing will get more expensive, etc. in that 3-year span.
We should probably be calculating cost per kWh, but if the hours of use are the same in both cases, the ratio of cost will still be the same:
462/425 = 1.08% (i.e. it would cost almost 10% more to run your gen daily for 3 years)

One could argue that you won't run the gen constantly since you'd be connected to PHCN (2k/month?), for which you'd have to pay 3*12*2k = 72k. And in return you get 1-2 hours of light per day on average.

Then I'd retort that if you ran only DC equipment, you could skip the inverter and save 50k.

One could also argue that the numbers can be skewed in any direction (e.g. you spent less on fuel, or you paid more per solar panel), but the ratio is not going to range more than 0.8 (solar is more expensive) to 1.2 (gen is more expensive), which for me implies that with savings in the right places, your cost would still be about the same.

I don't want to even consider diesel because that's a whole different level of ballin'
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by SIRKAY98(m): 6:15am On Jun 30, 2016
rottennaija:

Humm. I'll hv to calculate a little

Well See this as well

Cost of solar system for just 0.5kw 12volt -220volt Inverter pls*

80watts solar panel ×8 = N15,000×8=N120,000

Famicare Inverter 12volt: N20,000

150AH DEEP CYCLED BATTERY RECOMMENDED PLS: NOW N70,000 as at yesteday in ikeja market

Charge controller :N20,000

Wiring and connection :10,000

Cost of running cables depends on distance: 20,000

Total: N260,000

Hints:

This is 500watts solar charge system this will not guarantee you 24hours Electricity yet. You have to decide on what you want to use at a time.for instance how i use it on working days.

I go to work by 7am in the morning i on it down for the solar to start charging in around 8am and 9am when the sun level rises a bit .even when the sun can be seen or when its covered with cloud or even when raining it charges!

Then i come back by 5pm then usage starts

I put on my bulbs energy saving bulbs 18watts connected to four rooms. Pls four rooms can be arranged any how in ur mind.atleast includes living room,kitchen and toilet and seating room

I am just coming from work am hot so i use my fan with it for 2hours .pls the fan is not the typical fan common in all homes

I charge my led light touch,phones, till morning non stop

Then i put on my tv-pls the Tv i meant is energy saving type it doesnt consumes Current much and its like 22inches size flat screen

in about 8pm and my gotv watch it till like 12 or 2 atimes.
Then i shot down all system remaining my fan and 1 room light bulb .

Then in the morning it charges itself again.

Usage on a Saturday when i dont go to work

Things starts from friday night. Usage starts from between 7-8pm
Till it exhaust itself by around 5am in the morning when i use all i need . No frezer inclusive or iron at that moment

Then when the sun rises it has to charge up b4 i can again .so i live it till 12noon. Then on it back till 10pm. Because when there is daylight it charges and you can use it all day if you have enough battery back up

But the lower ur back up the lower your storage. Cheers!!!!

For those that created this tread i say qudos to you.pls am not here to plant on your labour. Am just in a lust of encouraging my fellow nairalanders to use Solar it pays.
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by nextstep(m): 6:19am On Jun 30, 2016
refreshrate:

Seriously you're comparing price of I better pass my neighbour with the cost of your solar panels?
Like seriously ?

NOTE: I don't sell panels, and I don't make any money supporting either side of the debate.

If you're considering the cost of an I better pass my neighbour generator (0.9kVA) to solar panels (1kW), then of course the panels and batteries are way more expensive. However, if you look at the total cost of ownership calculations where I illustrate that, over 3 years:

Equivalent 1kW solar system, 4 240W panels + 2 12V 100AH batteries + 24v 20A pwm charger + 1kVA inverter
4*70k + 2*40k + 15k + 50k = 425k total cost of ownership = 425k/1000 = solar: 425naira/Watt over a 3-year period.

We may be quibbling over 10k-20k in actual cost difference, but it's certainly not like 5x the cost.

The main issue with solar right now is the sticker shock that you have to pay for it all upfront. Imagine the sticker shock if I also said you have to pay for 3 years worth of fuel, oil, and servicing when you first buy your generator. If a company is able to structure payments for a solar installation that will cost you, in monthly terms, the same as an I pass my neighbor generator over 3 years, then the costs start being comparable. That's really what I'm talking about.

1 Like

Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by nextstep(m): 6:41am On Jun 30, 2016
aloeman15:
You realize that most batteries will need replacing by then.
Also, solar panels don't give 100% of their power rating.
Lastly, they also suffer wear and tear, with maintenance required.

That's why I picked 3 years… that's the benchmark for replacing batteries. This means, yes, every 3 years, you're going to pay 80k for a new pair of batteries. Generally, the only maintenance panels require is a manual wipe every few months to get back to optimum, though their rated power output does degrade at about 0.5%/year. Let's assume 90% power rating, which is fair, which brings us down from 1kW to 0.9kW; still in the same ballpark as a 0.9kVA generator. I doubt the generator stays at original performance for its lifetime (it will derate as it ages, and burn more fuel and oil per watt produced, and need more expensive servicing), so I'd argue the degradation curves for the two technologies is similar.

To be fair, let's assume that the I better pass my neighbour generator will also be replaced around the same time, after running for so many hours/day. I've not met such a gen that did not need replacing after a few years. The fuel and servicing costs don't go away, so if we wanted to extend this to a 21 year comparison (the expected lifetime of panels and other electronics apart from batteries), I'm still fully convinced solar would be the way to go. In fact let's compare:

900VA generator is 140k (if you buy it seven times over 21 years), fuel per day is about 300naira, servicing per month is about 2k.
7*20k + 21*360*300 + 21*12*2k = 140k + 2268k + 504k = 2.912M total cost of ownership of gen in a 21 year period.
Even if you managed to use only 1 gen in that period, you're still looking at
20k + 21*360*300 + 21*12*2k = 20k + 2268k + 504k = 2.792M

Equivalent 1kW solar system, 4 240W panels + 14 12V 100AH batteries (2 batteries, seven times) + 24v 20A pwm charger + 1kVA inverter
4*70k + 14*40k + 15k + 50k = 905k total cost of ownership of solar in a 21 year period.

We're assuming of course that fuel, generator, and batteries will stay the same cost over that time. My prediction is panels, battery and electronics prices will reduce, gen prices will go up (to match reduced demand), fuel will fluctuate, and labour (servicing) will only get more expensive. My estimates might be off by 10% in either direction, but it doesn't invalidate the clear trend that solar is going to be the clear solution over the medium term.
Re: Solar Power As A Solution To The Power Crisis by twentyk(m): 3:11am On Jul 02, 2016
SIRKAY98:

Yes solar and inverter can be built and learned also. I studied Electrical Electronics in Lagos state polytechnic Ikorodu Campus

In 2006/2007 Session . In our OND days we built solar panels and inverter..so my dear its possible. If u r student of ELECT/ELECT it will be easier...if you check my earlier post here .i have been using all this solar things for the past four years and am so happy am still enjoying it till now... i have 500watt per/hour solar charging system that will charge my battery and i cannot but remain a king in my area... if you can get all the matterials and u hv d time we r in for a deal.
@ sir kay wow am really untreated and this is my email....ade4047?@gmail. Com

(1) (Reply)

I Want To Sponsor 3 Businesses On Nairaland / Nigeria's Current GDP Ranks 3rd In The World According To Mr Agangu / Free Fixed Odds Trading Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.