Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,302 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 - Travel (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 (1046761 Views)

General German Visa Enquiries Part 3 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (511) (Go Down)

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by Pmiller1: 12:20pm On Aug 15, 2015
NNBB2012:

If you meet Australian study requirements, that studying for at least 2 academic calendar years, you will be eligible for 18months provided your occupation is on the list and assessed as well. You must also meet Rnglish requirement. In a nut shell, if you study a course that is not on the list at Advanced Diploma level, you won't be eligible for it.

Still trying very hard to understand this post work stuff, so from the above, you mean after studying an advanced diploma for 2-3years, one won't still be eligible for the post grad work stream if the course is not on the SOL list? cos most if not all on the occupation requires a Bachelor degree or higher, if so that means one can't be assess with the adv dip since the requirement for the occupation is degree or higher?

Pls kindly explain in details and shed more light on this issue. tanx

1 Like

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by BKings: 12:21pm On Aug 15, 2015
erictack203:
Send an email to the general email and copy African Student Hub. Tell them you were doing prayer section with Deacons and Pastors in your church and missed their calls, that they should call you back.

What if he says he was having his bath, or better gives no reason?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by alaoeri: 12:23pm On Aug 15, 2015
erictack203:
Can a Graduate with Australian Degree in Nursing Qualify for PR after Graduation without any Major work exp? And also, can such Graduate apply for State Sponsorship in any Regional Area that has Nursing on their Skill Demand List?

You have to earn the points, since Nursing is on the list, regional area, your age, oz degree etc its should be easier.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by erictack203(m): 12:41pm On Aug 15, 2015
@NNBB2012.

Thanks a lot Boss, so if I Studied Nursing in Australia, I will have to apply for Post Study Work Stream After Graduation to get Work Exp as a Nurse for 2yrs and there after b4 I can apply for points towards a PR right?

I will also like to ask, if as a Student I am doing part-time work while Studying my Degree Program probably in Aged Care and Nursing Homes, can these Jobs be counted toward work exp to achieve points towards PR after graduation?

NNBB2012:

Studying a course is not enough to get Australian PR, one has to earn the points to be eligible. If you have the required assessment and also the points, of course, you will be eligible. It wise to do everything necessary to boost one's points such as studying in the regional area etc.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by binaflexia: 2:10pm On Aug 15, 2015
@NNBB2012
@erictack203
@lilspiceyy
@lawland
@alaoeri
....and others

I intend to apply for Bachelor program in Australia, someone suggest Charles Darwin University for me, but the school directed me to an agent since I'm applying from Nigeria. But the agent is requesting for my university transcript, account statement of minimum 7 million Naira. However, I do not have a university degree or the minimum required balance in my account neither do I have a sponsor, I'm sponsoring myself. Are the requirements mandatory for undergraduate program in Australia?

Also, someone suggested TAFESA or Chisholm for a Diploma or Advanced Diploma program, but I'm already 30, can I still apply for diploma or advanced diploma considering my age. As a side note: I have been into ICT since 2003 and freelance web development for more than 5 year, I don't know if this experience is in anyway helpful for my application.

Your advice and suggestions will be highly appreciated
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by NNBB2012: 2:55pm On Aug 15, 2015
Pmiller1:

Still trying very hard to understand this post work stuff, so from the above, you mean after studying an advanced diploma for 2-3years, one won't still be eligible for the post grad work stream if the course is not on the SOL list? cos most if not all on the occupation requires a Bachelor degree or higher, if so that means one can't be assess with the adv dip since the requirement for the occupation is degree or higher?

Pls kindly explain in details and shed more light on this issue. tanx
That's correct. If the requirement says degree and there is no other clause like experience may substitute it, you won't get positive assessment and as such you won't be eligible for it.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by NNBB2012: 3:03pm On Aug 15, 2015
erictack203:
@NNBB2012.

Thanks a lot Boss, so if I Studied Nursing in Australia, I will have to apply for Post Study Work Stream After Graduation to get Work Exp as a Nurse for 2yrs and there after b4 I can apply for points towards a PR right?

I will also like to ask, if as a Student I am doing part-time work while Studying my Degree Program probably in Aged Care and Nursing Homes, can these Jobs be counted toward work exp to achieve points towards PR after graduation?

It is only work experience after your study that counts for the purpose of points. After your study, you would have to do your registration once you meet English requirement. All you need then is to gather all your points from , age, qualification, Australia study and English . I think all these would be enough without experience for your PR. And you might probably get a job as soon as you finished your registration and therefore get sponsorship. This is the reason why it is good to do a course that is in demand if one has PR in mind after study.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by NNBB2012: 3:08pm On Aug 15, 2015
binaflexia:
@NNBB2012
@erictack203
@lilspiceyy
@lawland
@alaoeri
....and others

I intend to apply for Bachelor program in Australia, someone suggest Charles Darwin University for me, but the school directed me to an agent since I'm applying from Nigeria. But the agent is requesting for my university transcript, account statement of minimum 7 million Naira. However, I do not have a university degree or the minimum required balance in my account neither do I have a sponsor, I'm sponsoring myself. Are the requirements mandatory for undergraduate program in Australia?

Also, someone suggested TAFESA or Chisholm for a Diploma or Advanced Diploma program, but I'm already 30, can I still apply for diploma or advanced diploma considering my age. As a side note: I have been into ICT since 2003 and freelance web development for more than 5 year, I don't know if this experience is in anyway helpful for my application.

If the school directed you to an agent, it means you can only get admission through the agent. You must provide whatever the requirements are. Explain your situation well to the agent and seek his advice. What qualification do you have and what course do you intend to study?

1 Like

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by binaflexia: 3:16pm On Aug 15, 2015
NNBB2012:

If the school directed you to an agent, it means you can only get admission through the agent. You must provide whatever the requirements are. Explain your situation well to the agent and seek his advice. What qualification do you have and what course do you intend to study?

Thank you for the reply.
I only have WAEC and 2 years part-time study in statistics with computer science at the university of Benin before I drop out. I intend to study computer engineering.

Also, for the TAFE schools for advance diploma, they did not direct me to apply through an agent and no request for school transcripts expect proof of English proficiency, but I don't know if my age will be a limiting factor with those TAFE schools.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by alaoeri: 3:30pm On Aug 15, 2015
binaflexia:
@NNBB2012
@erictack203
@lilspiceyy
@lawland
@alaoeri
....and others

Your age isn't a factor have seen a 37years old going for TAFE, actually some TAFE courses require just O level result like ETI WA perth any other certificate will be an added advantage, checkout www.eti.wa.au consult an agent & iron things out, also write a strong statements of purpose abt what you have been doing after sch cert with evidence to back it up, it should also relate with the course you are applying for. You may encounter little challenges while applying for visa from Pretoria due to your situation provide a home tie (family unit not parents or siblings oh but spouse or someone you are in a de facto relationship with back it up legally or get an employment letter indicating that you are coming back after your program) this is just to show that you gonna come back & not fleeing meanwhile your aim is PR, you deal with that while in Oz.

1 Like

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by lawland: 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2015
alaoeri:

Your age isn't a factor have seen a 37years old going for TAFE, actually some TAFE courses require just O level result like ETI WA any other certificate will be an added advantage, checkout www.eti.wa.au consult an agent & iron things out.
Are you in Perth?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by binaflexia: 3:50pm On Aug 15, 2015
alaoeri:

Your age isn't a factor have seen a 37years old going for TAFE, actually some TAFE courses require just O level result like ETI WA any other certificate will be an added advantage, checkout www.eti.wa.au consult an agent & iron things out.

Thank you man... this was helpful.
Can you direct me to an agent in Nigeria that can assist me with the TEFA package?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by alaoeri: 3:53pm On Aug 15, 2015
lawland:
Are you in Perth?
No
binaflexia:

Thank you man... this was helpful.
Can you direct me to an agent in Nigeria that can assist me with the TEFA package?
Contact the school by mailing or calling they will tell you the agent to use but you can try PFL or BCIE.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by mozo: 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2015
@NNBB and @bellong pls kindly clear my doubts (and that of some silent readers am sure)

If my occupation is not on the SOL list but on the CSOL list, and it is being sponsored by 2 states and both states have reached the limit for that particular occupation. With a total point of 65, does that leave 489 as the only available option?
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by ashioba: 6:10pm On Aug 15, 2015
NNBB2012, pingu2k5, thanks for your response to my previous post. Pls house , I have two questions because this OZ I must enter. 1. If I have a degree in a different field of study and a post graduate diploma in another field of study will I be awarded 15 points for a pgd nominated occupation on visa (subclass) 190. That is, you have bsc in economics and a pgd in maybe social work , and your nominated occupation is social worker, can one apply with just pgd and still be given I5 points for qualification. 2. If nominated , to satisfy the 2yrs working requirement,must you work in OZ only on the nominated skill or u can choose to work outside your nominated occupation if you have the qualifications . Kind regarrds.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by erictack203(m): 7:16pm On Aug 15, 2015
@NNBB2012.

Thanks a lot for this advice and assistance. I grab everything now. May God grant all of us our heart desires and help us to complete our programs successfully. Amen.

NNBB2012:

It is only work experience after your study that counts for the purpose of points. After your study, you would have to do your registration once you meet English requirement. All you need then is to gather all your points from , age, qualification, Australia study and English . I think all these would be enough without experience for your PR. And you might probably get a job as soon as you finished your registration and therefore get sponsorship. This is the reason why it is good to do a course that is in demand if one has PR in mind after study.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by mPop(f): 7:22pm On Aug 15, 2015
ashioba:
NNBB2012, pingu2k5, thanks for your response to my previous post. Pls house , I have two questions because this OZ I must enter. 1. If I have a degree in a different field of study and a post graduate diploma in another field of study will I be awarded 15 points for a pgd nominated occupation on visa (subclass) 190. That is, you have bsc in economics and a pgd in maybe social work , and your nominated occupation is social worker, can one apply with just pgd and still be given I5 points for qualification. 2. If nominated , to satisfy the 2yrs working requirement,must you work in OZ only on the nominated skill or u can choose to work outside your nominated occupation if you have the qualifications . Kind regarrds.

Nnbb please can u answer the above ques
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by mPop(f): 7:36pm On Aug 15, 2015
and also after graduation one can apply for the 2yr post study work permit,work for 2years before applying for PR right? / one can also choose not to apply for d post study permit and apply for PR straight without any work experience right?

how many years wrk experience in aussie gives how many points? for PR

thanks
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bellong: 9:18pm On Aug 15, 2015
mozo:
@NNBB and @bellong pls kindly clear my doubts (and that of some silent readers am sure)

If my occupation is not on the SOL list but on the CSOL list, and it is being sponsored by 2 states and both states have reached the limit for that particular occupation. With a total point of 65, does that leave 489 as the only available option?

If your occupation is not on the SOL list but the states sponsoring it for 190 have reached the limit, you will have to check if they are sponsoring it on 489.

Some states don't sponsor some occupations for 190 but they do sponsor it for 489. You can check the states offering sponsorship for 489 for the said occupation.

I hope you can get to see a state that will open it for sponsorship on 190. In my opinion, 489 is a rip off as you end up spending the same amount of money and energy in getting a 190 to get a 489 but with limited rights.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bellong: 9:29pm On Aug 15, 2015
ashioba:

1. Depends on the assessing authority, some assessing authority ask for minimum of 5yrs working experience in lieu of a degree in chosen occupation while others require minimum of 8yrs to assess your skill and degree as equivalent.

In other words, to use your different bachelor degree and PGD, you must have minimum of 5 years post qualification working experience in your chosen occupation. This can give you points for migration purpose. If you don't have up to the minimum years of experience, your degree can only be assessed as being equal to Australian bachelor's degree equivalent but will not be useful for claiming point for a different occupation.

2. The second question is not really clear. Do you mean, must you work in the nominated occupation when you get to Australia or before you get here?

Once hour visa is granted, nobody cares about the occupation you work in. You can work in any field as long as the recruiter is ready to employ you for whatever you apply for.

If for the purpose of claiming points, hour work experience must surely be in the chosen profession.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bellong: 9:31pm On Aug 15, 2015
mPop:
and also after graduation one can apply for the 2yr post study work permit,work for 2years before applying for PR right? / one can also choose not to apply for d post study permit and apply for PR straight without any work experience right?

how many years wrk experience in aussie gives how many points? for PR

thanks

If you have the minimum required points for PR application, you can apply anytime even while studying. You only need to meet the minimum points of 60. How the points are scored have been discussed extensively in the past.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by ashioba: 9:59pm On Aug 15, 2015
Oga Bellong , I can site you, pls my first degree is not on the occupation list , so I'm taking a pgd that is on the occupation list, the question is , can a pgd alone give me 15 points for educational qualification without claiming work experience. Thanks
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by lilspiceyy(f): 11:42pm On Aug 15, 2015
binaflexia:
@NNBB2012
@erictack203
@lilspiceyy
@lawland
@alaoeri
....and others

Going through agents can be stressful and I won't advice anyone to do it jare cos they are demanding especially if the agent is in nigeria. Look for schools that don't require agent like CTI canberra, ANIBT melbourne etc. u don't need to present such statement of account and like @alaoeri mentioned, u need a strong statement of purpose detailing what you've been doing after your secondary school education. If u aren't married yet get an introduction/study leave letter from your employer stating u are coming back after yur studies and u are on a paid leave blah blah blah (dats a strong home tie) but yur SOP should be a strong one. All the best and see u soon in OZ grin

1 Like

Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by bellong: 12:01am On Aug 16, 2015
ashioba:
Oga Bellong , I can site you, pls my first degree is not on the occupation list , so I'm taking a pgd that is on the occupation list, the question is , can a pgd alone give me 15 points for educational qualification without claiming work experience. Thanks

It is not on any of the two lists? SOL AND CSOL.

PGD, I believe is a bridging degree not a full fledge qualification per se. It may only earn you equivalent of diploma which is 10points. However, for better information, contact your assessing authority by email or phone to enquire. If the course content of the PGD is solid, you could be lucky.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by mozo: 7:16am On Aug 16, 2015
bellong:

If your occupation is not on the SOL list but the states sponsoring it for 190 have reached the limit, you will have to check if they are sponsoring it on 489.

Some states don't sponsor some occupations for 190 but they do sponsor it for 489. You can check the states offering sponsorship for 489 for the said occupation.

I hope you can get to see a state that will open it for sponsorship on 190. In my opinion, 489 is a rip off as you end up spending the same amount of money and energy in getting a 190 to get a 489 but with limited rights.

Thanks man
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by BKings: 8:23am On Aug 16, 2015
Dear all,

Pls I want to find out from those who have gotten their offers, can an extended family member (with different surnames) sponsor someone on SVP? I heard yes from some, and no from some, thats why am throwing it to the house to clear my confusion. Thanks all
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by standupguy(m): 8:30am On Aug 16, 2015
There is a lot yet to be understood about OZ work permit and PR process.

Please can someone knowledgeable analyze my qualification for better understanding .

I have a 5 yrs B.Eng, in mechanical/ production enginnering. Have worked 4yrs in I.T ( system admin, technical support , hardware and software integration).

Now planning to take a 2 yrs advanced diploma in engineering technology. At Victoria university. There website calls it a nationally recognized training.

How does my post work study and possibly PR stack up.
Just for analysis sack.
Thanks
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by NNBB2012: 9:10am On Aug 16, 2015
mPop:

Nnbb please can u answer the above ques
Usually, the first degree is assessed. You cannot be given 15points for PgD but rather 10points and it must be in the same field. If you do a PgD is a different field, It may not be sufficient for positive assessment.
On the other question, once you get here as a PR holder, you can decide to do whatever you like.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by NNBB2012: 9:23am On Aug 16, 2015
standupguy:
There is a lot yet to be understood about OZ work permit and PR process.

Please can someone knowledgeable analyze my qualification for better understanding .

I have a 5 yrs B.Eng, in mechanical/ production enginnering. Have worked 4yrs in I.T ( system admin, technical support , hardware and software integration).

Now planning to take a 2 yrs advanced diploma in engineering technology. At Victoria university. There website calls it a nationally recognized training.

How does my post work study and possibly PR stack up.
Just for analysis sack.
Thanks

If you were informed before now, perhaps you wouldn't have taken the study path. As you are, you are eligible for PR.You have two options. 1. You can assess your qualification as Mechanical Engineer with Engineers Australia without hope of claiming work experience because your experience does not match with your qualification. What it means is that you have to gain enough points of at least 50points on your own to be eligible for at least visa 489. What is your age? Do you have IELTS result?
2. You can approach ACS to be assess as a Computer System Engineer but a non ICT. What it means is that you will loose all the 4yrs experience. You can't claim points from work experience.
You can go with either of this options.
Going through study route is a longer process, and then all you would possibly get is extra 5points for studying in Australia except if you study in regional area that would fetch you extra 10points but then you might also loose point in age. So, think about it.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by samuelokwu: 9:30am On Aug 16, 2015
Yes I concur. I applied for eti TAFE in June and am expecting my visa any time soon. I advise you try that. It's for western Australia.
I used Goajo agency

standupguy:

Thank you, i am beginning to get a hang of it, i initially thought it meant that Australia has stopped processing SVP.
I now understand it unique to schools.
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by olajiggar(m): 9:58am On Aug 16, 2015
Hello house, I need someone that is currently in Adelaide, preferable some one in Tafesa. My kid brother is headn there soon, and he'll need all the help he could get. Thanks
Re: General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 by standupguy(m): 10:05am On Aug 16, 2015
NNBB2012:

If you were informed before now, perhaps you wouldn't have taken the study path. As you are, you are eligible for PR.You have two options. 1. You can assess your qualification as Mechanical Engineer with Engineers Australia without hope of claiming work experience because your experience does not match with your qualification. What it means is that you have to gain enough points of at least 50points on your own to be eligible for at least visa 489. What is your age? Do you have IELTS result?
2. You can approach ACS to be assess as a Computer System Engineer but a non ICT. What it means is that you will loose all the 4yrs experience. You can't claim points from work experience.
You can go with either of this options.
Going through study route is a longer process, and then all you would possibly get is extra 5points for studying in Australia except if you study in regional area that would fetch you extra 10points but then you might also loose point in age. So, think about it.

I am yet to apply to the school, just started talking to there agent, preparing to take IELTS. I am 30 yrs old.
I will look into what you just said

But note the technical skill I hope to acquire from the advanced diploma so important to me for future incase I decide to live any other place in the world

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (511)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 / Usa Visit Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.