Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,324 members, 7,860,777 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:10 PM

Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker (837 Views)

What Job Seeker Needs To Learn From Jobberman Recent Report / Nairaland Job Seeker; My Story / The Ordeal Of a Job Seeker Who Traveled from Zaria To Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by LaurelP(m): 8:39pm On May 26, 2015
Let's talk about the mistakes we've intentionally and unintentionally made as job seekers.
Be it in our resumes/CV, in our preparation for tests and interviews, during the tests/interviews proper, etc.
Anything you think you did that you later came to regret or that scuttled your chances of landing a job faster and easier, let's talk and learn from them.

Let me start...
1. My first mistake is the fact that I didn't start applying for jobs from school. I never made any tangible effort to network or apply any job, even though I was hearing tales about unemployment.

2. My service was my 2nd mistake. I failed to put in enough effort in preparing myself for the challenge ahead. Although I later got a job, it took me an unnecessarily long time to do so.

3. I also fumble in some interviews (for very nice jobs) due to ill-preparation.

In all these, I've learned that:
You must do whatever you can NOW! Don't postpone anything.
No knowledge, connection or experience is a waste. One day, it will become useful to you. If not for good, you learn from it.

Now share yours...

Davide470 uboma

1 Like

Re: Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by amnesty7: 8:44pm On May 26, 2015
The most important lesson is that what is yours is definitely yours, no matter how long it will take. The jobs missed had not been destined to be yours. My unshakable belief.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by LaurelP(m): 8:48pm On May 26, 2015
amnesty7:
The most important lesson is that what is yours is definitely yours, no matter how long it will take. The jobs missed had not been destined to be yours. My unshakable belief.

Don't really believe in destiny.
I believe that you reap what you sow, you get out of life what you put into it.
Anyway, its your opinion and I respect it!

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 26, 2015
same topic exist somewhere...make your research well before you search for FP with headlamp for day time.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by amnesty7: 8:53pm On May 26, 2015
LaurelP:

Don't really believe in destiny.
I believe that you reap what you sow, you get out of life what you put into it.
Anyway, its your opinion and I respect it!
Of course you must do all what you are expected to do (eg make a good grade in school to compete well in the labour market, apply for vacancies, etc). There is definitely higher powers beyond our mere human effort. Thanks for respecting my unshakable belief!
Re: Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by LaurelP(m): 9:01pm On May 26, 2015
amnesty7:

Of course you must do all what you are expected to do (eg make a good grade in school to compete well in the labour market, apply for vacancies, etc). There is definitely higher powers beyond our mere human effort. Thanks for respecting my unshakable belief!

U welcome
Re: Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by LaurelP(m): 9:02pm On May 26, 2015
hilaomo:
same topic exist somewhere...make your research well before you search for FP with headlamp for day time.

Leave that to the mods to decide.
Re: Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by timilehing(m): 9:19pm On May 26, 2015
I've only attended one interview so far and I did excellently well bit the HD guy brought his own person for the same position. He makes it clear after the interview & I already knew he won't neglect his candidate for me. I was fortunate to be called back for another position sha
Re: Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by LaurelP(m): 10:11pm On May 26, 2015
timilehing:
I've only attended one interview so far and I did excellently well bit the HD guy brought his own person for the same position. He makes it clear after the interview & I already knew he won't neglect his candidate for me. I was fortunate to be called back for another position sha

U mean he told you that he has his own candidate? Naija don reach this level?
Re: Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by AltarBoy1: 10:47pm On May 26, 2015
Graduating with 2.2 is my greatest mistake....

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes And Lessons You've Learned As A Job-seeker by timilehing(m): 7:48am On May 27, 2015
LaurelP:

U mean he told you that he has his own candidate? Naija don reach this level?
He came along with him & the way they're acting up during his interview is glaring.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Federal Polytechni Ile Oluji : I Need Leg For This / JOB ALART: Current Jobs At Stanbic IBTC Bank / Current-link systems interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.