Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,236 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 (22351 Views)

Marketers Want Petrol Sold For 165, FG Says No / FG Approves Immediate Payment Of 413 Billion Naira To Oil Marketers / Why Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by OhMyGawd: 5:25am On May 27, 2015
by Chika Amanze-Nwachuku

It has emerged that the nationwide fuel shortage engineered by oil marketers was done to pressurise the outgoing administration led by President Goodluck Jonathan to pay them an additional N200 billion comprising outstanding claims and foreign exchange rate differential, even though the claims had not been verified and may have been spurious.

Investigations have shown that contrary to the position by the oil marketers that they have been unable obtain new facilities from the banks to import petroleum products, the marketers were bent on getting the current administration to pay their claims before the end of its tenure because they were uncertain that the new administration led by Major-General Muhammadu Buhari would pay them on time.

Sources in the presidency disclosed that the marketers decided to hold the nation to ransom in order to get their claims paid promptly by the outgoing administration without consideration for other sectors of the economy that need funding by government.

One source explained that the urgency in their demands was triggered by the fear that Buhari would insist on verifying their claims before paying them a farthing and subsequently stumble on the fact that some of their claims are spurious.

“As you know, despite the best efforts of government, some of the claims by marketers are spurious. But in order to keep the fraud under check, several audits are undertaken to confirm that the products the marketers claim they have imported is what has been discharged at the depots and sold to Nigerians,” the presidency source explained.

He revealed that what some marketers do to beat the system is to discharge fuel at the depot, wait for PPPRA to verify the quantity they have discharged and then backload it into their vessels, and go and resell the fuel on the high seas.

“Then they make subsidy claims for petroleum products that were not actually discharged or sold in the country and make money from both ends.

“Now to eliminate such sharp practices, further verification is carried out by independent auditors after the one by PPPRA before their claims can be paid.

“However, this takes time and is the real reason the government takes its time before paying marketers,” he added.

The presidency sources also explained that the foreign exchange rate differential and interest rate charges was another issue which the Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, had insisted must be verified by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) before further payments could be made to the oil marketers.

“A committee headed by the CBN was set up to verify the so-called foreign exchange rate differential, but the marketers kicked by reneging on their promise to end the fuel shortage.

“So these are the real issues; the entire fuel crisis was a ploy to put pressure on the Jonathan administration to pay them before the end of its tenure. But Okonjo-Iweala refused, insisting that all subsidy claims and the foreign exchange rate differential must be verified before further payments could be made.

“She also argued that if this administration is unable to verify their claims before May 29, the next administration will continue with the process because government is a continuum. But the oil marketers tried to sabotage this by making fuel unavailable, hoping that this would force the finance ministry to pay,” the source said.

To allay the concerns of marketers over payment by the incoming administration, the presidency source further revealed that minister has written a letter to the Major Oil Marketers Association of Nigeria (MOMAN) and Depot and Petroleum Products Marketing Association (DAPPMA) acknowledging that the government owes them some N291 billion as at May 2015, of which N160.5 billion is the foreign exchange differential.

But the same letter states that a committee comprising the CBN, PPPRA and the finance ministry is verifying the claim on the foreign exchange differential and payment can only be made by the federal government if the amount is verified, the source explained.

“If it is not verified, it will not be paid by the new government,” he said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/why-marketers-want-payment-before-may-29/210290/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Rawani: 5:33am On May 27, 2015
The marketers round-tripping antics are common knowledge yet they were allowed to continue under Goodluck's disastrous administration.
General Buhari specifically mentioned this menace, no wonder some marketers suddenly became saints overnight that care for the Nigerian masses and hospitals after years of diverting government funds that would have ensured better healthcare systems and improved the lives that our oil-supermen now claim to be saving.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Pangea: 5:53am On May 27, 2015
Small time now,
Some people will come here and praise Ifeanyi Uba as a hero!
A common scammer who is the king of roundtripping!
Sebi he said he has nothing to fear from Buhari's government?
OK, let's wait and see naa!

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by buzquet(m): 5:57am On May 27, 2015
Woow!!!!!!!! So the oil marketers are nw scared bcaz d lion, the leader, (GMB) is cumin bac to power? Dis means wit Buhari, Nigeria will soon b a better place to live!

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by joseph1832(m): 7:08am On May 27, 2015
buzquet:
Woow!!!!!!!! So the oil marketers are nw scared bcaz d lion, the leader, (GMB) is cumin bac to power? Dis means wit Buhari, Nigeria will soon b a better place to live!
Its not like they're afraid, its just that they know damn well that all the nonsense they tried with GEJ will never be tolerated by GMB.

A man is a man!. You expect a man who can't caution his wife to know caution this greedy feul marketers?. Things will change in this country and impunity and mediocrity will be flushed back to Otuoke along with GEJ and his big fat wife!.

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Sweetguy25: 7:40am On May 27, 2015
God bless Ifeanyi Uba, he chose not involve himself in this wicked and negative entrepreneurship his fellow marketers were trying to perpetuate.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by DrSage(m): 7:40am On May 27, 2015
Above all,we've borne d brunt of this palava,lets just hope that Buhari's administration will look into this issue that has lingered on fr long.

P.S : If u're below 13years,holla me. I've got something fr u.

#CountdownToMay29

2 Likes

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by fitzmayowa: 7:40am On May 27, 2015
Its only in nigeria, nigerians will be left at the mercy of oil marketers.

This is a valid reason why subsidy should go, if only the protesters of 2012 knew what was ahead, they would have fully supported GEJ on the remover of subsidy...

20 Likes

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Neduzze5(m): 7:40am On May 27, 2015
Okay...

It's quite unfortunate to note that their antics will not work this time as Buhari will make sure to investigate before paying a dime.

Sorry for them in advance!!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Nobody: 7:41am On May 27, 2015
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Henrypraise: 7:42am On May 27, 2015
Des marketers ar d real problem of Nigeria.

Can u imagine wen dia was no fuel dia was no light? I feel d same cabal dat runs d subsidy/ fuel mata, ar same cabals dat control d light issue.

Nigerians if u ar lookin 4 d cabals, look no further, de av shown demsefs, shutting down Nigeria 4 dia selfish gains (MONEY).

3 Likes

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by disloman(m): 7:42am On May 27, 2015
Them dey craze.
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by olaboy001(m): 7:42am On May 27, 2015
Someone please educate me, what's the relationship between fuel scarcity and NEPA? Are they using fuel to give us light?"O su mi

2 Likes

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by PassingShot(m): 7:42am On May 27, 2015
But Olisa Metuh and PDP wanted us to believe that APC had a hand in it!

Useless bunch of people they are.

OhMyGawd:
One source explained that the urgency in their demands was triggered by the fear that Buhari would insist on verifying their claims before paying them a farthing and subsequently stumble on the fact that some of their claims are spurious.
They're used to stealing our common wealth through spurious claims.

As I have said severally, it's getting clearer that "subsidy" is a big scam.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Nobody: 7:42am On May 27, 2015
Wish the cabal can be Broken.

I. Won't be surprised if the shady deal is done with government official connivance.

Solve the rot in the petroleum industry,and half of Nigeria problem is solved.
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by HonourablePomk: 7:43am On May 27, 2015
Change is coming
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Neduzze5(m): 7:43am On May 27, 2015
Yomieluv:
K

For King Kong!! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by godofwar666(m): 7:43am On May 27, 2015
I have nothing to say those above me as said it all. undecidedI have nothing to say those above me as said it all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Kreamie(m): 7:44am On May 27, 2015
Lol...daylight robbery
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Nobody: 7:44am On May 27, 2015
. . . . . . . . . .daily we hear stories of the rot Ebele 'fedora daft' jona has turned this country to . . . . . . . .makes me wonder what would have happened if the comedian was allowed another 4 years . . . . . . . . .I really pity those lost souls who were shouting 'GEJ till **** . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .the mere mention of Buhari now has some people re-strategizing their way of life

8 Likes

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Dlee1(m): 7:44am On May 27, 2015
Our father land Nigeria will regain her glory soon. Impunity will soon be a thing of the past. I remembered someone who said during the election campaign that if GMB should win that corruption will reduce before 29th of May and what the man said have come to pass.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by anomsodi(m): 7:44am On May 27, 2015
Jane Wia r u
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by lordtech(m): 7:45am On May 27, 2015
Ok
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by haibe(m): 7:45am On May 27, 2015
I get the understanding now. . I have been waiting for an explanation. . I knew this oil cabals were the one not making Nigeria progress as it should. I knew it was not totally GEJ fault even though I blame him for watching this happen for 4 years

1 Like

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by mimicious(f): 7:45am On May 27, 2015
I don't know if m inline with this discussion but y do dey have to wait till this time for all this. So the incoming government is making them shake and they feel this the right time to act.
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by habex005(m): 7:46am On May 27, 2015
simple reason

buhari go push them to the gutter
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Dewze(m): 7:47am On May 27, 2015
Ignorance destroys a people. It has destroyed Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by cooljude(m): 7:48am On May 27, 2015
They are scared of uncertainties, but those oil marketters that are practicing this oil round tripping should be punished.
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by Horlawale1(m): 7:50am On May 27, 2015
The fear of buhari is the beginning of a new Nigeria.
Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by 9jatatafo(m): 7:52am On May 27, 2015
Scam, Scam everywhere. Even Tinubu who is an apostle of change is part of this racketeering as they owns Oando. Very soon they will be drinking their fuel.

1 Like

Re: Why Oil Marketers Want Payment Before May 29 by myklangelo(m): 7:52am On May 27, 2015
I am angry that the only patriotic Nigerians are the suffering masses. The people, the politicians that have gained more from Nigeria, sacrifice less, while the masses that have suffered most, sacrifice they all.

The 1st Igbo language blog is out. it is fun. Let us visit, comment, share and criticize it. www.odeniigbo..com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

‘What Comes To Mind When You Hear PDP?’: Failure ― Buhari / Only Five States Can Build Over 100 Km Of Electricity Transmission Lines - EMRC / OSOPADEC Commissioner, Kehinde Akinrotoye, Beaten By Hoodlums In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.