Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,399 members, 7,954,577 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:22 PM

Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? (5245 Views)

7 Deaths That Shocked Nigerian Football In 2016 / 7 Stand Out Moments In Nigerian Football (2016 In Retrospect) / 5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Icon4s(m): 5:19pm On May 27, 2015
1. WYC 1989 (Miracle of Damam):
The Flying Eagles were 4-0 down against USSR at the quarter final of the 1989 WYC in Saudi Arabia. With abt 70mins played Nigeria started a revival through Chris Ohenhen's free kick, equalised 4-4 before full time and went ahead to win via penalties.

2. Atlanta Olympics, 1996:
The dream team1 went 3-1 down at half time against Brazil at the semi-final. Nigeria forced a 3-3 draw at full time and went ahead to score the winner at extra time through Nwankwo Kanu's goal.

3.FIFA U17 WC 2009:
The Golden Eaglets were 3-0 down against Germany in the opening game in Abuja. Kenneth Omeruo started d revival with a goal as d Eaglets ended the game 3-3.

4. CHAN 2014:
The home Based Eagles went 3-0 down against Morocco in the quarter final. Rabiu Ali started a come back with an early second half goal with Ejike Uzonyi scoring the equalizer at the stroke of 90. Ibrahim Mustapha got the extra time winner as Nigeria won 4-3.

5. 2015 AFCON Qualifier:
The Super Eagles found themselves 2-0 down against South Africa that has never beaten Nigeria in any competitive game. With 15 mins left Nigeria pulled 1 goal back and Sonne Aluko ensured Nigeria kept their unbeated record against South Afrca with a late equalizer after also scoring d first goal.

My most favourite was the 4-3 win against Brazil in 1996 which is yours?

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by demmy0325(m): 5:32pm On May 27, 2015
Yea.. I agree wit U op.. Its surely d win against brazil in 1996... We evn lost a penalty..

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by dabossman(m): 5:50pm On May 27, 2015
Definitely the Atlanta 96 Olympics comeback was most memorable because it was against a star-studded Brazil and was a prelude to the final where we eventually won gold. Second to that would probably be the Damman miracle of 89 simply because it was the most we fell behind and came back. Four goals down is no joke.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Icon4s(m): 5:51pm On May 27, 2015
demmy0325:
Yea.. I agree wit U op.. Its surely d win against brazil in 1996... We evn lost a penalty..

Nops! We didn't play any penalty talk less of losing one.
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by dabossman(m): 5:56pm On May 27, 2015
Icon4s:

Bro, I do believe Okocha or someone lost a penalty during that game.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by demmy0325(m): 5:59pm On May 27, 2015
Icon4s:

.. We did.. Go n research bro.. Or isnt it d match bebeto cried...
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Icon4s(m): 6:00pm On May 27, 2015
dabossman:

Bro, I do believe Okocha or someone lost a penalty during that game.

Bros nobody lost any penalty in that game. The highlights are on youtube for u to watch.
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Icon4s(m): 6:18pm On May 27, 2015
demmy0325:
.. We did.. Go n research bro.. Or isnt it d match bebeto cried...

Match wey i watch? That game is still fresh in my memory. Did u actually watch d match or ur elder brothers told u abt it?
Well u can visit youtube for the highlights.

That was how some1 was arguing with me 1day That the Miracle of Damam was when Nigeria's dream team beat Brazil in the final of 1996 Olympics to win Gold. grin

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by demmy0325(m): 6:22pm On May 27, 2015
Icon4s:

Match wey i watch? That game is still fresh in my memory. Did u actually watch d match or ur elder brothers told u abt it?
Well u can visit youtube for the highlights.
... I thinks its old in Ur memory.. Nt fresh... No nid for arguin.. U cn see am d only one sayin we lost a penalty... Google is Ur friend... Try checkin..
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Icon4s(m): 6:29pm On May 27, 2015
demmy0325:
... I thinks its old in Ur memory.. Nt fresh... No nid for arguin.. U cn see am d only one sayin we lost a penalty... Google is Ur friend... Try checkin..

Please b sincere, when last did u watch the game?

I watched d downloaded highlights of that game jst some few hours ago which prompted me to open This thread.
Jst go to youtube and type Nigeria vs Brazil, 1996. U will c d highlights.
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by demmy0325(m): 6:34pm On May 27, 2015
Icon4s:

Please b sincere, when last did u watch the game?

I watched d downloaded highlights of that game jst some few hours ago which prompted me to open This thread.
Jst go to youtube and type Nigeria vs Brazil, 1996. U will c d highlights.

.. Dont worry 'bout when i watch d match... Buh am sure smone lost a penalty... Mayb youtube showed only the goals for U...
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Icon4s(m): 6:42pm On May 27, 2015
demmy0325:
.. Dont worry 'bout when i watch d match... Buh am sure smone lost a penalty... Mayb youtube showed only the goals for U...

No penalty was even awarded in that match. How can a 10mins highlights of a game not include a penalty won and lost?

There was no penalty in that game. Take it!
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by MrMac10(m): 8:28pm On May 27, 2015
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Raymondson(m): 8:37pm On May 27, 2015
@ icon4s, still rememba dat match, and i have also seen highlights. Okocha lost a penalty. articles.latimes.com/1996-08-01/news/ss-30167_1_victor-ikpeba

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Mystiqme: 10:49pm On May 27, 2015
India vs Nigeria-99:1. We won because the game was so difficult that the Indians said if we can score one goal, the game is ours. shocked
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Icon4s(m): 11:45am On May 28, 2015
Raymondson:
@ icon4s, still rememba dat match, and i have also seen highlights. Okocha lost a penalty. articles.latimes.com/1996-08-01/news/ss-30167_1_victor-ikpeba

Ok. My apologies.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Danycrusoe(m): 5:16pm On May 28, 2015
I wunt pik one, rada i wil rank them in an order of importance, effect that d cumbak had on d tournaments.
1) Atlanta 96
this cumbak was a gr8 one as it was against a star studded rival in 4m of brazil who had playas wu were in dia prime, Ronaldo, rivaldo. Also anoda cumbak victory in d final against a strong Argentinian team was achievd and also delivad d Gold medal
2) Darman Miracle
D fact dat it was a cumbk 4m 4goals down in a short time and an 8goal thriller makes dx cumbk d 2nd best in my list.
Tho i didnt watch d match nor d tournament, my dad always speak abt ow good d team was despite d loss in d final.
3) CHAN
D team's effort was rubbishd by poor goal keepin by Agbim, most of d goals were his fault, we shdnt av conceded dat much. also playn against morocco xnt dat easy.
4) 2009 U17
D team startd d match poorly n fans had lost hope buh D match turnd n got more interestn in d closin stages with both teams hittn eachodas woodwork within a minute.
5) South Africa
we culd v won d match
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Icon4s(m): 9:49pm On May 28, 2015
Danycrusoe:
I wunt pik one, rada i wil rank them in an order of importance, effect that d cumbak had on d tournaments.
1) Atlanta 96
this cumbak was a gr8 one as it was against a star studded rival in 4m of brazil who had playas wu were in dia prime, Ronaldo, rivaldo. Also anoda cumbak victory in d final against a strong Argentinian team was achievd and also delivad d Gold medal
2) Darman Miracle
D fact dat it was a cumbk 4m 4goals down in a short time and an 8goal thriller makes dx cumbk d 2nd best in my list.
Tho i didnt watch d match nor d tournament, my dad always speak abt ow good d team was despite d loss in d final.
3) CHAN
D team's effort was rubbishd by poor goal keepin by Agbim, most of d goals were his fault, we shdnt av conceded dat much. also playn against morocco xnt dat easy.
4) 2009 U17
D team startd d match poorly n fans had lost hope buh D match turnd n got more interestn in d closin stages with both teams hittn eachodas woodwork within a minute.
5) South Africa
we culd v won d match

I like ur list. If in order of hierachy i will put the CHAN game as number 3 and the 2009 U17 game as number 4. Reasons: we won the Chan game while we drew d Eaglets game secondly the Chan game was a q/final match while d Eaglets game qas a group opener.
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by M4gunners: 10:21pm On May 28, 2015
Dream Team Atlanta 96 against Brazil. As a matter of facts, some people left viewing centre by the time the scores were 3:1 only to ran back when the magic began.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Danycrusoe(m): 5:36pm On May 29, 2015
Icon4s:

I like ur list. If in order of hierachy i will put the CHAN game as number 3 and the 2009 U17 game as number 4. Reasons: we won the Chan game while we drew d Eaglets game secondly the Chan game was a q/final match while d Eaglets game qas a group opener.

D CHAN x 3rd on my list also,d chan game shuld v bin won comfortably bt wen u put a person lyk Agbim in goal then conceeding a goal x an inevitable occurence.
Meanwhile d u17 guys weren't calm, dey were jilterry at d start of d game which led to d 3 unwarranted goals, luckily dy equalizd
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by homesteady(m): 12:22am On May 30, 2015
please remove that No 5 (Vs South Africa) What is memorable in that match undecided
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Icon4s(m): 1:22pm On May 30, 2015
homesteady:
please remove that No 5 (Vs South Africa)
What is memorable in that match undecided

Being 2-0 down in ur home ground to a bitter rival that u have never lost to. And scoring 2 late goals to draw level and save the country from a national embarasment.
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by homesteady(m): 1:27pm On May 30, 2015
Icon4s:

Being 2-0 down in ur home ground to a bitter rival that u have never lost to. And scoring 2 late goals to draw level and save the country from a national embarasment.

Based on the circumstances surrounding it, The match should only qualify for most disgraceful and embarrassing in Nigeria history! !

All we just needed to do was win them and qualify for AFCON, instead they were beating us in our very own backyard! Chaiii!
Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by Icon4s(m): 4:37pm On May 30, 2015
homesteady:

Based on the circumstances surrounding it, The match should only qualify for most disgraceful and embarrassing in Nigeria history! !

All we just needed to do was win them and qualify for AFCON, instead they were beating us in our very own backyard! Chaiii!

That's also what makes it memorable.

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by shizzy7(f): 1:01pm On Oct 29, 2015
Icon4s:
1. WYC 1989 (Miracle of Damam):
The Flying Eagles were 4-0 down against USSR at the quarter final of the 1989 WYC in Saudi Arabia. With abt 70mins played Nigeria started a revival through Chris Ohenhen's free kick, equalised 4-4 before full time and went ahead to win via penalties.

2. Atlanta Olympics, 1996:
The dream team1 went 3-1 down at half time against Brazil at the semi-final. Nigeria forced a 3-3 draw at full time and went ahead to score the winner at extra time through Nwankwo Kanu's goal.

3.FIFA U17 WC 2009:
The Golden Eaglets were 3-0 down against Germany in the opening game in Abuja. Kenneth Omeruo started d revival with a goal as d Eaglets ended the game 3-3.

4. CHAN 2014:
The home Based Eagles went 3-0 down against Morocco in the quarter final. Rabiu Ali started a come back with an early second half goal with Ejike Uzonyi scoring the equalizer at the stroke of 90. Ibrahim Mustapha got the extra time winner as Nigeria won 4-3.

5. 2015 AFCON Qualifier:
The Super Eagles found themselves 2-0 down against South Africa that has never beaten Nigeria in any competitive game. With 15 mins left Nigeria pulled 1 goal back and Sonne Aluko ensured Nigeria kept their unbeated record against South Afrca with a late equalizer after also scoring d first goal.

My most favourite was the 4-3 win against Brazil in 1996 which is yours?

6. 2015 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP
NIGERIA VS SWEDEN...3-3

Sweden was 3 goals up against Nigeria in the first half. Nigeria made a Comeback equalizer with 3 goals in the second half.
Nigeria 3 - Sweden 3.

Atlantic '96 - Epic

1 Like

Re: Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:31pm On Oct 29, 2015
Ok..... Uhmm.... Miss Shizzy.... I have to agree that the 2015 Fifa women world cup's Nigeria/Sweden game was awesome....... That game was the best and most exciting game of the first round at the world cup (if not at the whole tournament).

Sheer resilience from the girls.

But pls note that we were 2 goals down at half time. On resumption of the second half, Okobi struck after deceiving 2 swedish defenders.

After that, Okobi turned provider for Oshoala who outmuscled, Fischer (one of world women soccer's finest defenders) and raced into Okobi's killer pass for the equalizer. 2-2.

Couple of moments later, the swedes took the lead again after a fine team move down Nigeria's right. Score 3-2.

Then came, that moment of genius from Ngozi Okobi again!!!!!

Fine through ball into Ordega's path who made no mistake....... *smiles* score: 3-3.

That game was a "fantastic advertisement" for how the women's soccer game have grown.....

**smiles**

shizzy7:

6. 2015 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP
NIGERIA VS SWEDEN...3-3

Sweden was 3 goals up against Nigeria in the first half. Nigeria made a Comeback equalizer with 3 goals in the second half.
Nigeria 3 - Sweden 3.

Atlantic '96 - Epic

(1) (Reply)

1xbet / Yekini: Philanthropist Or Mentally Imbalanced? / Some Funny #maypac Fight Memes!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.