Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,889 members, 7,817,616 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:35 PM

India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! (77198 Views)

India Vs Nigeria: 99-1 / Football Match INDIA VS NIGERIA: 99-1 ? / INDIA Vs NIGERIA 99-1 Abeg, Who Watch Am? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by fayahsoul: 6:19pm On Feb 15, 2009
toffee2lov:

Na waooooooooooooo wonder shall never end, so this story is so popular like this i heard it also when i was young and the elderly one also confirm it. one thing i believe is that in every rumour there must be an element of truth, Indian na juju master very good in talisman omo you go fear fear,  cool cool cool cool better believe now becos so the story will till thy kindom come grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I heard of it when i was in primary school.

Rumors like this actually proffers strong evidence against another widely held, yet unsubstantiated, notion that says: "There is an element of truth in every rumour"

The important question is: If all this dramatic and terrifying activity was really happening in the field why was it allowed to go on for 90mins without interruption? Didn't the nigerian team, coach, referee and observing crowd have any complaints?

LOL 99-1, yeah right.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by duduspace(m): 6:44pm On Feb 15, 2009
The twist I heard to the tall tale was that the Nigerian goalkeeper after conceeding so many goals decided to do a Samson on one of the lions coming at him when they kicked the ball only to discover afterwards that he had torn the ball into two.
Different variations of the same Urban legend, but we are quite gullible in Nigeria and this is one of the reasons why stories like animals becoming human and people disappearing after putting on motorcycle helmets are still widely beleived.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by dominictj(m): 7:21pm On Feb 15, 2009
not on this planet
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by TayoD1(m): 7:53pm On Feb 15, 2009
@Ibime,

So all of una hear the tory too?
Na so I see am o.  To think I can testify that I heard this story too in a fashion closer to the one you attest to.

To this day, this is why India is banned from footie.
Actually, my variation of the story says because of that match, FIFA decided that the Indian national team must not play again with their bare feet.  It was understood that the "juju" was in their feet.  Knowing that their juju will not work while playing with boots, India decided they will rather not play anymore soccer.  That is how the ban stayed in effect. 

Dayo, my version of Thunder Balogun story tells me that Balogun's brother was the goalkeeper. Balogun fired a hard shot that hit his brother in the belly, killing him. From then on, Thunder Balogun was banned from using his left foot by FIFA.
The version I heard went a step further describing how Thunder Balogun buried his brother.  It was claimed that T.B. refused any help with his brother's coffin.  He carried the coffin by himself unto his head and was juggling football on his way to burying his brother.   

Talk about an urban legend!
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by untainted: 8:19pm On Feb 15, 2009
if you live in Nigeria you know that there is no group that travels as wide as soldiers and their children.
this myth was probably spread by soldiers and come to think of it, police and other uniformed people who have barracks all over the country.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by sirwebs(m): 8:59pm On Feb 15, 2009
There was also the one about Pele. He never missed a penalty until one day he surprisingly missed. He insisted to the referee that the goal post was not as wide as the official size and insisted it be measured. Lo! he was right. The posts were adjusted and the kick re-taken. Any need to tell you what happened to the kick?
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 15, 2009
Tayo-D:

@Ibime,
Na so I see am o. To think I can testify that I heard this story too in a fashion closer to the one you attest to.
Actually, my variation of the story says because of that match, FIFA decided that the Indian national team must not play again with their bare feet. It was understood that the "juju" was in their feet. Knowing that their juju will not work while playing with boots, India decided they will rather not play anymore soccer. That is how the ban stayed in effect.
The version I heard went a step further describing how Thunder Balogun buried his brother. It was claimed that T.B. refused any help with his brother's coffin. He carried the coffin by himself unto his head and was juggling football on his way to burying his brother.

Talk about an urban legend!

My guy take time oooooo. You wan make my lungs explode or wetin.
Chei.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by invisible2(m): 10:07pm On Feb 15, 2009
In Nigeria, you dare not challenge some myths. There is another one about people going about stealing somebody's pr*ick! They just touch you and your 'John Thomas' will varnish, without sugery of course and in broad daylight!

Men were lynched for failing to return the 'kiniko' which they have vandalized.

Have anyone heard about that one too? How true is it anyway?
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by invisible2(m): 10:12pm On Feb 15, 2009
Imagine if someone stole you 'koboko' the day before val day? This is double wahala, I think I need this type of juju, to afflict all haters of Chelsea FC, especially Switch 47! Rotlmao!!!
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Nobody: 10:25pm On Feb 15, 2009
invisible!:

In Nigeria, you dare not challenge some myths. There is another one about people going about stealing somebody's pr*ick! They just touch you and your 'John Thomas' will varnish, without sugery of course and in broad daylight!

Men were lynched for failing to return the 'kiniko' which they have vandalized.

Have anyone heard about that one too? How true is it anyway?

Oh my God, you guys r really making me relive my youth today.
Chei.
I was at CMS when this one happened oh. One Oyinbo guy said someone touched him and his "prick" disappeared. We were able to catch the guy and he offered to make the prick reappear. He said some words and touched the oyinbo and immediately, the guys prick appeared. Only problem was that when the oyinbo checked it, the prick was Black
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Nobody: 10:40pm On Feb 15, 2009
I heard the story myself. Infact I hear say Athinder Balogun for no score if not for him mama wey cry out "Athunder Balogun use your left leg" the ball come turn into tiger, but despite that Athunder still kicked the ball turned tiger and score a net tearing goal, reducing the margin by 1. India won 99 - 1.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by invisible2(m): 10:41pm On Feb 15, 2009
@ A-town, please, did you guys strip the white guy to make sure his pr*ick was not there when he was crying? This is really funny, I fell of my chair, make una carry time for here o!
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Okijajuju1(m): 11:03pm On Feb 15, 2009
I remember this story like I heard it yesterday.

I think my mum might actually believe this story. When I heard it, I fell down laughing cos it was just incredible. 100 goals in 90 minutes of football play +3 minutes added time. Even at one goal per minute plus celebration time, throwing, corner kick, offside, fouls, cards e.t.c, how possible is it to achieve such even if its Manchester UNITED vs. Loyola Jesuits (Ajebutters) students.
Then the one goal by Thunder Balogun. This is one tale that ages after we are gone will become a very strong Urban Legend/myth.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by dplo(m): 11:55pm On Feb 15, 2009
sure,a story i heard about 16 years ago,though i belived it then
but thats supposed to be a myth,really,i did even know i wasnt the only one who played a dummy to that tale,but its seems to me that a lot of people did by the these comments on this thread.
THE STORY NA LIE @ topic
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by damola1: 11:56pm On Feb 15, 2009
oh boy, the prick one na confirm oh,
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Remii(m): 11:58pm On Feb 15, 2009
fayahsoul:

I heard of it when i was in primary school.

Rumors like this actually proffers strong evidence against another widely held, yet unsubstantiated, notion that says: "There is an element of truth in every rumour"

The important question is: If all this dramatic and terrifying activity was really happening in the field why was it allowed to go on for 90mins without interruption? Didn't the Nigerian team, coach, referee and observing crowd have any complaints?

LOL 99-1, yeah right.

How anyone go fit complain? The juju wey fit turn football to lions go fit seal everyone mouth now.  Sometimes self afraid go fit make anyone talk?
I think I love this country, anything wey you hear say happen, somebody go swear him life say in see am. That is why BBC declare us happiest people on earth. Never a dull moment.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Remii(m): 12:01am On Feb 16, 2009
damola1:

oh boy, the prick one na confirm oh,

I talk am someone go any story for this country. 

Damola1: You go fit confirm say bar beach don move come Oshodi?
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Moyola(f): 12:04am On Feb 16, 2009
Oh my dayzz! i also heard d story cheesy . . . .true or false? undecided
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by chyk91(m): 12:49am On Feb 16, 2009
I heard d story too, but i heard sam okwaraji scored
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by malali: 1:51am On Feb 16, 2009
i just googled it and its true!!!!!!!
go to google and type
naijaman too dey blow lie!!!
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by follypimpi(m): 2:00am On Feb 16, 2009
Amazing Story.

I heared of the Bush Baby Story too of people in Boarding skl.

Also this Song they sing after ur Moma tells u a story :

Mary mama(cant rememba the real name) Come here
Koin Koin Koin stay there.

Can't rememba the songs clearly
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Sammy107d(m): 3:20am On Feb 16, 2009
The famous Indian rumor. I wonder what new lie is going national
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by osisi2(f): 4:03am On Feb 16, 2009
OMG
I heard those stories too about Indians and juju football.
They said Segun Odegbami (I think that was the goalkeeper of the Eagles when we were kids) would want to catch the ball and it would turn into a huge snake and he'll run for his life ,then the ball goes into the net.
Then on some other ocassions,he'll see 5 balls coming at him and he won't know which one to catch grin
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by mayor007(m): 6:44am On Feb 16, 2009
I had this cockamamie of a tale shoved down my throat as a kid growing up in Lagos. I mean, this was lie reinvented. Lions, footballers, dragon heads, fireballs don't normally rhyme together in a sentence but we were so naive we believed it. I think it has to do with the elders-can't-lie mentality that was inculcated into us as impressionable youngsters. I tried selling the story to my younger ones and the look they gave me was like 'we may be younger but we are not that stupid'. Not in this computer age. The one that really took the cut was about how Indian athletes ran like cheetahs which was why they were banned from athletics.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Jairzinho(m): 8:36am On Feb 16, 2009
[center]THUNDER BALOGUN ,REMEMBER YOUR LEFT LEG !!! grin grin grin grin[/center]

This is trully incredible,I always thought i was the only one that heard this story grin grin

It just shows we lost our way about 1990,becos Im sure most people that heard this gist must have been in school just before that time.

I learnt the indians refused to play without soccer boots & FIFA banned them .

na wa.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by invisible2(m): 8:45am On Feb 16, 2009
There are those that still believe this story like they believe the bible, but had the country India been banned from taking part in any international sporting competitions before, for any other reasons? People around me here are ready to swear with their last piece of land!
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by FBS: 9:01am On Feb 16, 2009
Jairzinho:

[center]THUNDER BALOGUN ,REMEMBER YOUR LEFT LEG !!! grin grin grin grin[/center]
na wa.
grin grin grin grin
was it really true that the guy's shot made a hole in the keepers stomach? grin grin grin
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Jarus(m): 9:09am On Feb 16, 2009
Another story was the Thunder Balogun story:

Thunder Balogun had incision on his left leg so they warned him not to take shots with his left leg.

There was a bet between Thunder Balogun and a great keeper. That in 5 penalties thunder would not score any.

He took 4 and the keeper caught all the "Penariti" when he wanted to take the last one

A woman just screamed "Thunder Balogun remember your left leg" Thunder Balogun fired with his left leg.

The shot was so hard that the keeper tried to stop it but it went through the keepers tummy and came out

from the back killing the keeper instantly
Yes, this used to be the twin story with the 99-1 story. We were always told both together. Come see concentration. Then we got home and relay to our younger ones, and they also listened with rapt attention.
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Jarus(m): 9:11am On Feb 16, 2009
Surprisingly, I was also told this as a young boy by my uncle. But the two countries included were Ethiopia and India. They say that that is why thy were suspended from FIFA for some time. I dont believe it, its just im surprised this was also told to someone else.
Can you go and ask your uncle again now?
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 16, 2009
LOL, I remember the "Thunder Balogun, use your left leg" quote grin. And this whole india-Nigeria thing, reminds me of Shaolin Soccer, if you haven't seen that movie, then you should, thats when u go see person shoot ball, the ball go turn into fireball, lol,
And how come this indian jazz only worked in Nigeria vs indian matches? Why not india vs usa?
LOL, naija, but men that myth about people touching you and then your 'koko' would disappear, well I do not know if its true, but I wouldn't want to be experimented upon, but wait, if the koko disappears, can it be re-attached? grin grin
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by folem: 10:09am On Feb 16, 2009
What about the Emmanuel Okala and the Bouncing Baby Boy rescued from a fire Story[b]![/b] grin grin grin
Re: India Vs Nigeria: 99-1. Abeg Who Watch Am! by invisible2(m): 10:44am On Feb 16, 2009
If anyone here says the dikk disapearance gist is truthful, please how did it happen, did you see the area flat, was it bleeding, tell us please.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Chad:AFCON Qualifier (2 - 0) On 13th June 2015 / Let's Make 10k/100k With #500/5k Within 10 Days With Sport Betting / Nigerian Footballer Akeem Omolade Found Dead In His Car In Italy (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.