Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,961 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Nairalander's Trip To Kenya - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nairalander's Trip To Kenya (54478 Views)

My Trip To Kenya In Pictures / Pictures Of A Nairalander Trip To Ghana / A Nairalander's Trip To New Zealand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by kizonero(m): 8:17am On Jan 22, 2020
Lookandlaugh and cyberknight thumb up to you two for this piece of information. I kept on reading it over and over again. I appreciate

Still waiting on other gurus too to add something.

God bless you as you do so
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by DexterousOne(m): 8:17pm On Jan 22, 2020
These are the sort of places Nigerians should be going on vacation, not London, Dubai etc.. There are other very enjoyable destinations in Africa like Senegal, Tanzania, Gambia, Cape Verde etc. You'll be surprised at some of the sights and facilities in these places.

Truth
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by ZacharyMarx: 8:35pm On Jan 22, 2020
On vacation in August, he rented a Volkswagen Polo car and was very pleased with the car. The receipt and delivery passed without problems quickly and clearly. The guys work well and keep the brand of their company. It is a pity that there was no bluetooth in the car; this is an indispensable thing. Next time I will definitely rent a car at Booking rent a car. Thank you guys keep it up!
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by DexterousOne(m): 9:33pm On Jan 22, 2020
Cyberknight:

Re the cheapest flight you can get, that's for you to find out by going online. 3 airlines fly to Kenya from Nigeria, Kenya Airways (KQ), Ethiopian and Rwandair. Check their sites for prices for your dates. KQ is direct, so its usually the most expensive.

You can travel to Rwanda by road from Kenya, but it takes about 24 hours from Nairobi to Kigali, via Kampala. It is a good way to get 3 visas in your passport, if you feel up to it. If you intend to go to Rwanda, the prices of multi-city air tickets are usually lower than those of direct flights.

Thirdly, I've been to Kenya 6 times and I've never paid more than 50 usd for a visa on arrival. Always have a 50 dollar bill to pay with (just buy at a BDC in the Lagos airport before leaving). I've used the evisa thrice and have never been asked to pay anything extra in addition to the fee paid online. I've only been asked for a tip once. I wouldn't call it a bribe, because the immigration officer was laughing as she asked "Anything for me for tea?" and she didn't bother me further when I told her, "Next time". Nor have any of my colleagues had any similar experience. And that was at 2 a.m. in the morning, when the airport was almost empty. Normally, I pass through immigration when it is busy (the direct flight from Nigeria arrives at 7 pm their time). Like everywhere, they definitely profile people, so if you carry yourself well, you should have no problems.

I have only been questioned by an immigration official once, and that was on my very first visit and he didn't ask me for a bribe, it was a brief 5 minute affair (what brings you to Kenya, can I see your return ticket, etc.). Corruption is indeed a thing in Kenya, just like it is here, but I wouldn't really characterise their airport immigration officials as corrupt - none has ever bothered me or the people I sometimes travel with. Tourism is a huge earner for the Kenyan economy and they are very careful with it and if they were extorting travelers at the airports, it would quickly become an issue. I've heard the chaps in Nyayo House (their immigration HQ) are a different matter entirely when it comes to visa extensions and the rest, and you know our Nigerian brethren have earned themselves a bad reputation in Kenya unfortunately.

For tour packages, again use the internet. Basically the main tourist experience in Kenya is the safari and visiting national parks. There's one in the centre of Nairobi itself you could try, there's an elephant orphanage and giraffe centre, all in town, and there are some day trips from Nairobi to neighbouring sites, such as Lake Naivasha. If you want a genuine tour package, book a safari. A 2-day one should suffice. Go on to the internet and do careful research for tour operators and for each one also search for reviews by travelers detailing their experiences and recommending the tour operators they have used.

As for accommodation, that depends on your resources. Generally, the equivalent of US$60 a night will get you a decent hotel room in a decent area in many cities. You can find cheaper lodging, but it makes no sense to come to a foreign country for the first time and lodge in a working class area (e..g. coming to Lagos and getting a hotel or Airbnb in Ajegunle or Bariga) because apart from the risk, it attracts attention to you and calls into question your claim to be a tourist.

Nigerian immigration doesn't ask for PTA. Again, they too profile people and have the right to question you on departure as to your intentions, so be ready for that, especially if this is your first time traveling.

Thank you for your detailed answer

Pls I want to ask

Do our Nigerian cards still work outside the country?
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Lookandlaugh: 2:05am On Jan 23, 2020
Just be prepared for anything at their airport,
The experience cybernight has,was what I had in 2014,when I first arrived Kenya for a holiday,no bribe issue, i just paid only USD 50 for my visa,but in 2019 the whole thing changed,when I went there in February 2019,so it is not my first time in KENYA.
Some nairalanders have complained about this,I mean the corruption at their Airport.
No matter how you carried yourself,If you encounter some sets of corrupt immigration officers,and police on duty on the day you arrived Nairobi,they will extort money from you.
kizonero:
Lookandlaugh and cyberknight thumb up to you two for this piece of information. I kept on reading it over and over again. I appreciate

Still waiting on other gurus too to add something.

God bless you as you do so

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Cyberknight: 4:02pm On Jan 23, 2020
DexterousOne:

Thank you for your detailed answer

Pls I want to ask

Do our Nigerian cards still work outside the country?

Yes, they do.
I use my GTB and Diamond Bank naira cards and they work. Conversion rates are usually unfavourable; best to buy US dollars and bring them along and only use your cards to make bulk payments such as hotel bills.
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by DexterousOne(m): 4:06pm On Jan 23, 2020
Cyberknight:

Yes, they do.
I use my GTB and Diamond Bank naira cards and they work. Conversion rates are usually unfavourable; best to buy US dollars and bring them along and only use your cards to make bulk payments such as hotel bills.

Thank you for the hint

I'm planning a 2 day Kigali | 2 day Kampala holiday when I get some spare time this March

My budget is say $1000-1800

I believe that should be fine
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by gowonmaharajah(m): 10:14pm On Jan 25, 2021
Pavore9:

Fried wetin? cheesy l can relate with how your wife felt food-wise as l felt same on my first visit but now l am residing here, l know my way around in regards to food as l know where in Nairobi l can buy okro, semolina, pepper, plantain, wheat, green, ewedu, palm oil, smoked fish etc and also know also how to bring over stuff like egusi, ogbono, crayfish etc from Lagos to Nairobi within 5 days so l am not missing our food.

l really felt like vomiting when l got to eat their pepperless meals but now l have also gotten used to it. cheesy
hi,are you still based in Kenya?
Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by Pavore9: 8:05am On Jan 27, 2021
gowonmaharajah:

hi,are you still based in Kenya?

Yes.

1 Like

Re: Nairalander's Trip To Kenya by MeezPat(f): 1:40am On Jan 21
Pls is Kenya still visa on arrival to Nigerians

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Japa: Don't Insult Nigeria If You Fall Under These Kind Of People (opinion) / Helicopter Crashes Into A Building In Ikeja, Lagos / Immigration Stops 58 Doctors From Travelling To The UK

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.