Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,196 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation (811 Views)

Buhari Bans Importation Of Vehicles Through Land Borders,Nigerians React(Pics) / 1969: Nigeria Bans Red Cross Aid To Biafra BBC News / 1969: Nigeria Bans Red Cross Aid To Biafra - BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation by Ibsgal(f): 9:12pm On May 28, 2015
"GEJ signed a bill this week that criminalizes female genital mutilation or cutting, a practice that a staggering 19.9 million Nigerian women are thought to have undergone. The landmark legislation is being hailed as an important step for Africa’s most populous country but also one that experts hope will have a potential ripple effect on the 26 other African nations that have significant populations of women who undergo the practice" - International Business Times

IT IS ABOUT TIME. Hopefully this won't be one of those political posturing actions that politicians use nowadays to further their careers. I doubt GEJ has anymore to offer the nation as a politician, so if this is his parting gift, I am very happy with it. Female genital mutilation is a real issue, one that most are unaware of because we live in our bubble and at times fail to realize that people who do not live in bustling or adequately-infrastructured cities battle issues completely different from the ones we face, especially in places where access to education and healthcare is severely inefficient. Signing this bill into a law is a giant step for femalehood, but the most critical step will be to make sure that it is enforced and that those who continue to engage in this horrible and unnecessary practice are criminalized.
Re: Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation by Truth24(m): 9:14pm On May 28, 2015
k
Re: Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 28, 2015
Re: Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation by Obinovictor(m): 9:27pm On May 28, 2015
Re: Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation by uchebest2006(m): 9:42pm On May 28, 2015
Okay...thats cool
Re: Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation by Curlieweed: 9:48pm On May 28, 2015
Ibsgal:
"GEJ signed a bill this week that criminalizes female genital mutilation or cutting, a practice that a staggering 19.9 million Nigerian women are thought to have undergone. The landmark legislation is being hailed as an important step for Africa’s most populous country but also one that experts hope will have a potential ripple effect on the 26 other African nations that have significant populations of women who undergo the practice" - International Business Times

IT IS ABOUT TIME. Hopefully this won't be one of those political posturing actions that politicians use nowadays to further their careers. I doubt GEJ has anymore to offer the nation as a politician, so if this is his parting gift, I am very happy with it. Female genital mutilation is a real issue, one that most are unaware of because we live in our bubble and at times fail to realize that people who do not live in bustling or adequately-infrastructured cities battle issues completely different from the ones we face, especially in places where access to education and healthcare is severely inefficient. Signing this bill into a law is a giant step for femalehood, but the most critical step will be to make sure that it is enforced and that those who continue to engage in this horrible and unnecessary practice are criminalized.

So, what exactly is wrong with female circumcision? Is it because Oyibo say it's wrong or do you have a real reason? How come no one is talking about Male Genital Mutilation? I guess WE don't count.

I suggest you tell your femiNazi activists to take turns sucking my Mutilated Genitals.
Re: Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation by theSpark(m): 10:07pm On May 28, 2015
Legacy
Re: Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation by Ibsgal(f): 10:11pm On May 28, 2015
Curlieweed:

So, what exactly is wrong with female circumcision? Is it because Oyibo say it's wrong or do you have a real reason? How come no one is talking about Male Genital Mutilation? I guess WE don't count.

I suggest you tell your femiNazi activists to take turns sucking my Mutilated Genitals.

They already tried, they couldn't find it.
Re: Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation by Ibsgal(f): 10:36pm On May 28, 2015
Curlieweed:

Comparing male circumcision to female genital mutilation (FGM) is like comparing apples to oranges. FGM renders the female Instruments reproductively nonfunctional, and has many detrimental consequences. The rate at which male circumcision results in lasting physical and permanent damage is nil when compared to FGM. Additionally, the reason behind each practice is different, FGM is done to ensure that a girl maintains her purity by diminishing her libido. Advocating for the annulment of FGM does not make one a femiNazi, you uninformed bigot.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Bans Female Genital Mutilation by tupem: 11:25pm On May 28, 2015
Ibsgal:

Comparing male circumcision to female genital mutilation (FGM) is like comparing apples to oranges. FGM renders the female Instruments reproductively nonfunctional, and has many detrimental consequences. The rate at which male circumcision results in lasting physical and permanent damage is nil when compared to FGM. Additionally, the reason behind each practice is different, FGM is done to ensure that a girl maintains her purity by diminishing her libido. Advocating for the annulment of FGM does not make one a femiNazi, you uninformed bigot.

well put! thumbs up!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: The Urgency Of Fighting Unemployment In Nigeria / Nigerians Fallen Soldiers: Time To Ask Questions / CNN Interview Of Mayor Of Port Elizabeth Over FIFA Scandal Vs Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.