Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,072 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie (47483 Views)

I Think I Think Too Much... Is This Normal?? / Please Help My Friend Save A Strong Woman / My Friend Engaged In A Remarkable Way To A Gorgeous Woman See Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Cutehector(m): 6:54am On May 31, 2015
fairygeh:

Oh lord,there we go again
Some men can be so impossible
You mean u read all this nice,intelligent speech and the only thing u could say is its cos she's not married.
You must be one egocentric piece of man,the kind of man that doesn't feel a woman must have a say in whatsoever.thats really sad.
BTW she's very married.
thank God for her she is married.. Btw, do u hav to show us ur yarnsh wen takin a pic? Whr is ur sense of worth..
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 6:55am On May 31, 2015
all4naija:
Sorry to say your point is flawed a little bit. You are trying to say because one is more qualified than the other we shouldn't look into the facts the other has to present.

No,you simply do not want to see her point.

One group has stakes in the outcome of the study as evidenced by its name and goals and so is most likely to be biased as against the other group which is made up of professionals of both sexes and is most likely to give an unbiased stance.

You are just arguing for arguments sake sir.

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 7:01am On May 31, 2015
repogirl:
and when you are sick and need comfort, I guess your money will comfort you.

When you are lonely and your body is in need of some you know what, I guess your money will do that for you.

When you need advice or to have interesting conversations with someone, guess your money will do that for you.

When you feel the need to procreate and have cute little descendants of yours and then bring them up in the right way, I guess your money will do that for you.

When you need someone to boost your ego or morale when you're feeling unsure bout yourself, I guess your money will do that for you.

Lastly when you leave this world, who will miss you dearly, speak touching eulogies about you and keep your memory dear to their hearts. I guess your money will do that for you.

Our most important treasures in this world is our time, what we do with it and then our relationships. Everyone should aspire toward wealth and prosperity, but should not lose sight of what is really important. Because the really important things make life worth living.

Now on to the topic;

Well, I don't know Chimamanda's upbringing was but I was never brought me up to see myself as a lower being to give respect when it is needed but definitely not to be walked all over.

Nobody can put you in a place you don't want to be, sometimes as a woman, you deal with some men that have warped thinking, agreed but doesn't mean the world has put you in a corner.

Times are changing, for centuries, women have been homemakers mostly instead of career women but that was what was needed at the time. Now the economy has changed and like it or not, women have to also contribute their quota to their upkeep and family finances. I believe, like it or not, we are a constantly evolving race and with time, these things will change naturally.

All this you must not let people put you here or there is just not worth it to me, some people are malleable naturally and they will be that way whether you preach feminsm to them throughout eternity.

Women should not shenk important responsibilities because of this feminism crap. You can be an awesome career woman, awesome wife and an awesome mother all at once.
Solid Gold!
Thank you repo girl.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:01am On May 31, 2015
emzila:

whenever u are confused as to where u are going, then ask yourself of where u were coming from and u may just find d direction you need. From the first day of woman, she has been created to be a helper to the man on assignment. An attempt to change this is disputing God's wisdom.

And where did you get this idea from?
A book I presume.

Look at you talking about God's plan like you have an idea what it really is.

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by fairygeh(f): 7:02am On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:
thank God for her she is married.. Btw, do u hav to show us ur yarnsh wen takin a pic? Whr is ur sense of worth..
cheesy stop talking off point how exactly does that concern you? I take my pic anytime,anywhere anyhow I like it,entirely my business.#mychoice. Intruder.

8 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Segzay(m): 7:03am On May 31, 2015
I quite agree with some of her speech,,bt wait o,,dose ppl over thr(western world) knws all dis tins nd yet dey record d highest divorce rate,,,d fact stil remain dat our cultures and our beliefs here is d best,,I believe dos dat created dis path for us to follow also made dem tru wisdom and critical tinkins,,its jst dt dey r nt opportuned to stand in front of ppl nd givin out speech like dis woman wey go stil mislead una,,,am nt disputin her words,,bt most of our girls here wuld mis-interprete her words,,gender equality is real nd true,,bt no too cari dat mentality reach una husband house o,,or else e go clear fr una eye wen dat humble,,cool and submissive woman snatch him frm u!
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:03am On May 31, 2015
all4naija:

Huh! Keep using the wrong ones to describe all women in your patriarchal or chauvinistic intentions.

Please understand, I am only one man, a pawn I this game called life. I dont control society. As a man I was raised to fulfill certain roles (which I carry out). Life is not always fair. But I was taught not to biitch about it and just make the best of it. I dont know how that makes me a chauvinist undecided

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 7:04am On May 31, 2015
all4naija:
The world all rather society put some women in corners. You have to travel around the world to understand that, most especially, in the Islamic countries. Yousafzai Malala is a good example of what I am driving at or talking about.
Society also puts men in corners. You have to do certain things to be seen as a man if not the person is regarded as a failure. I don't know why women like the victim mentality so much. They should come and take over the roles of men, both good and bad, and see how fun it is!

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Cutehector(m): 7:04am On May 31, 2015
fairygeh:
cheesy stop talking off point how exactly does that concern you? I take my pic anytime,anywhere anyhow I like it,entirely my business.#mychoice. Intruder.
lol yeah.. Any how u like it... No shame..

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:04am On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:

She is married but to what type of man. Thats the question. wink
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by fairygeh(f): 7:07am On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:
lol yeah.. Any how u like it... No shame..
Oh get off my mentions, u are the one who is shameless,u really do not want to get into an e-quarrel with meangry

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 7:07am On May 31, 2015
BUTCHCASSIDY:
All this talk of women roles really bores the crap out of me. James Brown said it well. It's a man's world but it would be nothing without a woman.
I Will always be the man as long as I make money, I'm required to protect my woman and my family, provide for them , in-carge of their welfare
and look out for them.You can come online and talk all the crap you want all day. Its a mans world always has been and always will be. [size=18pt]If you want to be respected then earn it. [/size]No one respects or gives freebies to anybody cos Ure a man or a woman. If Ure a man and act like a biitch you will be treated like a biitch. If you are a woman and you are able to work hard you will reap the rewards.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Cutehector(m): 7:09am On May 31, 2015
fairygeh:

Oh get off my mentions, u are the one who is shameless,u really do not want to get into an e-quarrel with meangry
lool yes I dnt want to.. Ur manners need change..
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:09am On May 31, 2015
5minsmadness:

Solid Gold!
Thank you repo girl.
She's solid gold and not exhibiting excess secretion of testosterone?

Don't bother replying.

Hypocrite!

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 7:12am On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

I'm sure you didn't read that article.

If you did, you'll understand that her point is, why are men privileged to do so culturally, instead of who deserves it by achievement irregardless of the gender.
She read the article else she wouldn't have known about the kola nuts.

The issue here ma'am, is that there are more important things to discuss than say breaking of kola nuts or not cooking in the house because you feel as a woman society wants you to, or sitting as a woman with your legs spread apart because you feel society has discriminated against you by making you close your legs like a proper lady.

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:12am On May 31, 2015
BUTCHCASSIDY:

He's far better than you.

A rich bi-racial medical doctor in USA, who are you?

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by hamilton62(m): 7:14am On May 31, 2015
missclasssy:
She is correct.

Women have for a long time been made to feel that being powerful, being an authoritative figure or being in a positions of power isn't their right so when such happens it becomes seen as a remarkable thing, as something exceptional.

The political social and religious structures of the world have belittled the feminine gender into being seen as nothing but second to the male gender.
Men are seen as leaders, while women are seen as followers. Men are seen as rulers , while women are seen as helpers and supporters.
Men are seen as strong, while women are seen as weak.

Women are taught silence, while men are taught to speak.
Women are taught to serve men, to obey men, not to talk back at men and a lot of bullshit.
Most of our religious institutions especially ones like Islam, and christianity have a huge role to play in all this through their customs, doctrines and stories.

This has created a default mentality towards what women are supposed to be, So when people see a confident powerful woman, they become amazed. They see her as extraordinary.

Women need to see themselves differently from what they have been told and forced to believe.
My dear, men and women have their strengths and weaknesses.
Who do you think really have a family?
who really grooms them?
Men are the head but women are the neck meaning the head is stupid without a neck which adds flair and flexibility...
why doesn't she remember words like; behind every successful man there is a woman?
These are the types that cause problem in families biasing what they say...
The part that almost got me angry is the kola part... No wonder Americans and others are hallucinating for perfect marriage and relationship incurring increase former ex- and divorce when they think it is a bed of roses forgetting it is an institution filled with sacrifices from both parties.
I agree to some points she made but she flawed it from perfection with some.
Thanks....

2 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 7:14am On May 31, 2015
Segzay:
I quite agree with some of her speech,,[size=14pt]bt wait o,,dose ppl over thr(western world) knws all dis tins and yet dey record d highest divorce rate[/size],,,d fact stil remain dat our cultures and our beliefs here is d best,,I believe dos dat created dis path for us to follow also made dem tru wisdom and critical tinkins,,its jst dt dey r nt opportuned to stand in front of ppl nd givin out speech like dis woman wey go stil mislead una,,,am nt disputin her words,,bt most of our girls here wuld mis-interprete her words,,gender equality is real nd true,,bt no too cari dat mentality reach una husband house o,,or else e go clear fr una eye wen dat humble,,cool and submissive woman snatch him frm u!
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by fairygeh(f): 7:16am On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:
lool yes I dnt want to.. Ur manners need change..
See who is talking about manners?
You are one bloody hypocrite,i hate guys like u
Is it you who called a lady who made a lot of sense a feminist cos u feel she wasn't married that have manners?
Sorry to burst ur bubbles dear, you are a big fool and even the foolish call u foolish.
Now get missing please,i have got something important to do,
Wouldn't mind coming back tho incase u drop another weak -come back tongue

8 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Cutehector(m): 7:19am On May 31, 2015
fairygeh:

See who is talking about manners?
You are one bloody hypocrite,i hate guys like u
Is it you who called a lady who made a lot of sense a feminist cos u feel she wasn't married that have manners?
Sorry to burst ur bubbles dear, you are a big fool and even the foolish call u foolish.
Now get missing please,i have got something important to do,
Wouldn't mind coming back tho incase u drop another weak -come back tongue
see person wey man go marry.. Ur d reason why ur mates aint findin husbands easily.. Nw pls go and reflect upon ur life in d next five years...

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by 5minsmadness: 7:19am On May 31, 2015
BUTCHCASSIDY:

How many times have we heard the man speak out to know if he is really happy?
A while ago chimamanda was talking about how she refused to take his surname in marriage. I will dig up the picture in a moment. The man's face in that pic was like "which kain wahala be dis" cheesy
All they talk about is how she married a rich educated tolerant man. Yeah right! How many times has the man come out to say he supports what his wife is doing. He tried supporting her in one of her interviews and it looked sooooo watery grin

Tomorrow God forbid they divorce, these same cronies will come out and say it's the man's fault!
For goodness sake she has been maintaining that same silly Ankara or gele hairstyle for 'centuries' now grin Where is the variety? The guy must be chewing his tongue just to keep from running away from her or getting in a messy divorce!

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by olaideeeedris(m): 7:23am On May 31, 2015
missclasssy:

And where did you get this idea from?
A book I presume.

Look at you talking about God's plan like you have an idea what it really is.
Hmmmmm.... Mamma, take it easy. This 'equality' thing will take us nowhere... You are created to play the second fiddle to us cool

#thankgodiamaman

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:29am On May 31, 2015
"you don't know what you are saying, you are a small girl"

seriously, doesn't this statement emphasize the "small" rather than the girl? They were talking about the privilege of breaking the kola, for crying out loud! We as africans know what the kola symbolizes. We know it is not too far from experience and wisdom, which is typically associated with age and grey hair.

So when chimamanda and the others at the party were talking about an issue of cultural significance and that statement was made, only chimamnda understood the statement to mean a demeaning of women, just because he identified her as a girl (female)! If no be "small girl" him go call her, na "small boy". Is she a boy/ man/male? Why does she want to be identified differently?

Just last week, i was refered to as a "small boy" by a lady i am three years older than! What should i say then? That i am being judged unable to have a sound opinion on the issue because of my gender?

The fact is, that statement the man made was in no way an attack on her or an attempt to keep her quite because she is female. To the most sensible of all minds, that statement only tells us that the man dismissed her view based on the fact he thinks she isn't old enough to have a sound and insightful opinion on an issue that is just superstitious at best and lacks any real life relevance.

This is another BIG evidence that the lady Chimamanda, like every other feminist i have come across, sees gender i all things there are and can be described as obsessed with the idea, feminism. We can't always trust the words of the one who is obsessed with a thing.

There are so many things i can pick out in her speech, but i do not have all of the time in world for that. I have quantum physics to study. The fact stll remains that the world will never run short of some kind of people. It is only natural that we will always have the smart, the dumb, the rich, the poor, the strong, the weak, the delluded and a Chimamanda in all of history and civilization. So why waste my time trying to correct what will always be there. Thats more like trying to cure the earth of its gravitational power.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by fairygeh(f): 7:30am On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:
see person wey man go marry.. Ur d reason why ur mates aint findin husbands easily.. Nw pls go and reflect upon ur life in d next five years...
lol lol lol.yes o na man go marry me,infact in the next few months,i will be officially married. but even if I would not,how is that your headache mister?
You see you are the type that only thinks a lady just have to be married to make her life meaningful or have a say in the society
What has marriage got to do with what we talking about now? ,aint u just a petty little fool!
Oh and about reflecting upon my life in the next five years,i see myself in my loving husband house with my beautiful twins and enjoying my happy home grin
And I see u in the next five years,picking up e-quarrels on nairaland as usual with a female and ranting and raving like a mad man over what doesn't concern u.
Get a brain dear,its free cry

7 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:31am On May 31, 2015
olaideeeedris:
Hmmmmm.... Mamma, take it easy. This 'equality' thing will take us nowhere... You are created to play the second fiddle to us cool

#thankgodiamaman

BULLSHYTE!

1 Like

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Cutehector(m): 7:33am On May 31, 2015
fairygeh:
lol lol lol.yes o na man go marry me,infact in the next few months,i will be officially married. but even if I would not,how is that your headache mister?
You see you are the type that only thinks a lady just have to be married to make her life meaningful or have a say in the society
What has marriage got to do with what we talking about now? ,aint u just a petty little fool!
Oh and about reflecting upon my life in the next five years,i see myself in my loving husband house with my beautiful twins and enjoying my happy home grin
And I see u in the next five years,picking up e-quarrels on nairaland as usual with a female and ranting and raving like a mad man over what doesn't concern u.
Get a brain dear,its free cry
I still wonder whch slum u go to pick these ur free brains...
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:34am On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

He's far better than you.

A rich bi-racial medical doctor in USA, who are you?

Im certainly not you, an @$$ kisser. So tell me are you really talking here because of your convictions or you want to score cheap points with the girls here?

7 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:34am On May 31, 2015
This is one reason I don't like the office of first lady.

Can't wrap my hands around the fact that people get into that position because they are wives to somebody and not because they have the capability to carry out such responsibility.

I have always been a fan of Chimamanda Adichie. God bless u woman for thinking in line wink

4 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by kelechiMarie(f): 7:34am On May 31, 2015
femi4:
I disagree with her.
suit yourself
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Bluffly: 7:36am On May 31, 2015
FrancisTony:

http://qz.com/415667/chimamanda-ngozi-adichie-being-a-strong-woman-isnt-remarkable-its-normal/

Until when women ask all men to resign from the Military before I believe that they are fighting for equality and start dying to secure Men.
Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by fairygeh(f): 7:39am On May 31, 2015
Cutehector:
I still wonder whch slum u go to pick these ur free brains...
*yawns* boring. weak come back as usual, I guess it was just a waste of 30 mins of my precious time exchanging words with an inconsequential "thing"like you.
BTW I know u will reply this again,come on don't disappoint me, immature monkey tongue
BYEEEE

5 Likes

Re: Being A Strong Woman Isnt Remarkable, It's Normal - Adichie by Nobody: 7:39am On May 31, 2015
5minsmadness:
How many times have we heard the man speak out to know if he is really happy?
A while ago chimamanda was talking about how she refused to take his surname in marriage. I will dig up the picture in a moment. The man's face in that pic was like "which kain wahala be dis" cheesy
All they talk about is how she married a rich educated tolerant man. Yeah right! How many times has the man come out to say he supports what his wife is doing. He tried supporting her in one of her interviews and it looked sooooo watery grin

Tomorrow God forbid they divorce, these same cronies will come out and say it's the man's fault!
For goodness sake she has been maintaining that same silly Ankara or gele hairstyle for 'centuries' now grin Where is the variety? The guy must be chewing his tongue just to keep from running away from her or getting in a messy divorce!

Yes. Very true. Such women are never wrong. They know it all no humility. Showing love is a sign of weakness. I wonder how they make love sef. WTF

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply)

How Some Ladies Are Destroying Their Marriage Without Knowing / My 17 Year Old Niece Is Addicted To Porn - Should I Intervene / The Scary Thing A Couple Received As Wedding Gift (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.