Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,494 members, 7,816,172 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:02 AM

Best Server Side Language Your Opinion - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Best Server Side Language Your Opinion (3891 Views)

Need Help With Python Server Side Programming / Which Programming Language Was Used For Nairaland Server-side Scripting? / Which is more awesome to use for 'server-side programming', NodeJS or PHP? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by kelly008(f): 7:35pm On May 30, 2015
What is the best Server Side language in your opinion. I love PHP as it is free and open source and easy to learn. What is your favorite server side language?
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by danvery2k6(m): 7:41pm On May 30, 2015
Your last question fits the thread more than the title. There is nothing as best server side language. personally, my choice of server side depends on my need and the time at hand for the project.

Talking of favorites, I love Ruby on Sinatra because of the ease and speed of development.

But if I want to take performance into consideration, I love Java(JSP + Servlets)

MHO

1 Like

Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by fattbabakay(m): 11:54pm On May 30, 2015
kelly008:
What is the best Server Side language in your opinion. I love PHP as it is free and open source and easy to learn. What is your favorite server side language?
Female programmer grin grin grin ...Php is cool to the best of my knowledge.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by mj(m): 8:01am On May 31, 2015
I love Java with Spring Framework although I could PHP too.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by talk2hb1(m): 1:18pm On May 31, 2015
fattbabakay:
Female programmer grin grin grin ...Php is cool to the best of my knowledge.
It is very easy to delve into PHP, but the best....ehm...ehm... I dont know

1 Like

Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by Nobody: 6:36am On Jun 02, 2015
Aspnet/Vbnet (my choice)

1 Like

Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by subair1989(m): 12:50pm On Jun 02, 2015
kelly008:

Learn php and ruby on rails
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 10:12pm On Jun 09, 2015
Irrelevant question. It depends on your skill set and what you want to achieve.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by larisoft: 12:56pm On Jun 11, 2015
I think the answer just might be "any language you know darn well".

I have been an advocate of using multiple languages but let's face it;

does java rally outperform php? not if u know php in and out.

does java make cleaner codes than php? again; not entirely true if u know php in and out.

Finally; is php too east to learn? not if u intend to learn php in and out.

I think the best tool is that tool u know well.

1 Like

Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 7:58pm On Jun 11, 2015
@larisoft If you think on performance. Java cant compare to PHP. Java outperforms PHP well.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 9:15am On Jun 12, 2015
seunthomas:
@larisoft If you think on performance. Java cant compare to PHP. Java outperforms PHP well.

It actually depends on your code and implementation.

1. Java is more resource-hungry. Running a Jsp app on 512mb of RAM might be less efficient than running the same app ported to PHP on the same amount of RAM.

2. PHP out of the box is interpreted. means that every time a request is made to your script, it is read, interpreted line by line and executed. JVM compiles ur jsp code to bytecode. Here, Jsp beats PHP on suitable systems.

Facebook though, created Hipop for PHP, that transpiles Php code to c++. We all know that C++ is the beast of programming when it comes to performance.

Yet again, Facebook created HHVM. it has a JIT compiler that compiles php code to Intermediate bytecode. making it even better than Hipop for PHP. Here again, PHP plus HHVM should be on par with or even outperform jsp...its my thought though, which is based on benchmarks that show that HHVM outperforms NodeJs in cases.

3. A bad programmer writing JSP code will never write a more efficient app than a good PHP dev.

So, you see....there are many factors that you should consider before saying that one language outperforms the other
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 4:42pm On Jun 12, 2015
@micodon PHP no matter the level of optimization cant outperform Java. Java has a lot of neat features that makes it very powerful and really faster. The only languages that can outperform Java are the .Net languages,C/C++, Assembly as well as some other languages. To emphasize this well, even the Java bytecode is further optimized during runtime. I know many languages and if am looking for application speed and dont mind spending time on a project, i will always go for Java else i go closer to the hardware with c.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 4:43pm On Jun 12, 2015
micodon:

It actually depends on your code and implementation.

1. Java is more resource-hungry. Running a Jsp app on 512mb of RAM might be less efficient than running the same app ported to PHP on the same amount of RAM.

2. PHP out of the box is interpreted. means that every time a request is made to your script, it is read, interpreted line by line and executed. JVM compiles ur jsp code to bytecode. Here, Jsp beats PHP on suitable systems.

Facebook though, created Hipop for PHP, that transpiles Php code to c++. We all know that C++ is the beast of programming when it comes to performance.

Yet again, Facebook created HHVM. it has a JIT compiler that compiles php code to Intermediate bytecode. making it even better than Hipop for PHP. Here again, PHP plus HHVM should be on par with or even outperform jsp...its my thought though, which is based on benchmarks that show that HHVM outperforms NodeJs in cases.

3. A bad programmer writing JSP code will never write a more efficient app than a good PHP dev.

So, you see....there are many factors that you should consider before saying that one language outperforms the other

Facebook is doing the extra work on php because they had no choice. The original Facebook core is written purely in php.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 9:20pm On Jun 12, 2015
seunthomas:
@micodon PHP no matter the level of optimization cant outperform Java. Java has a lot of neat features that makes it very powerful and really faster. The only languages that can outperform Java are the .Net languages,C/C++, Assembly as well as some other languages. To emphasize this well, even the Java bytecode is further optimized during runtime. I know many languages and if am looking for application speed and dont mind spending time on a project, i will always go for Java else i go closer to the hardware with c.

1. Maybe you should stop comparing PHP and Java. they are not of the same kind. php vs jsp is better.
2. Oh yea. PHP can outperform jsp. Its not about optimizations, its about implementations. Facebook's implementation of PHP will outperform the same code written in jsp.
3. please read about hhvm, phpng and php 7.

4. i know many languages too, sir.
5. if you are looking for speed and dont care about dev time, heres a list in no particular order
C
C++
lua
Go
Nodejs
Erlang
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 9:27pm On Jun 12, 2015
seunthomas:

Facebook is doing the extra work on php because they had no choice. The original Facebook core is written purely in php.

A great majority of facebook is still in php. They didnt change the language..what they changed was the implementation. PHP open source so u can modify the way its implemented and give out. The Zend engine, the most popular interprets everytime. after interpretation, the script dies.

Facebook changed theirs to JIT compilation and optimization
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by drealboy(m): 7:15pm On Jun 13, 2015
no such thing as best server side language. just use the one u r most comfortable with.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by drealboy(m): 7:22pm On Jun 13, 2015
seunthomas:
@micodon PHP no matter the level of optimization cant outperform Java. Java has a lot of neat features that makes it very powerful and really faster.

but u rilli need to provide benchmark to prove ur point. a lot of factors contribute to language performance.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 9:31pm On Jun 13, 2015
drealboy:

but u rilli need to provide benchmark to prove ur point. a lot of factors contribute to language performance.

Exactly my point. so you have to look at the points in my first post.

You cant just say one language is more performant than the other, when it comes to web app dev.

a lot are involved. E.g, 1000 comcurrent users calling a php script hosted behind nginx will recieve better perfomance than one served by apache.

In conclusion, i totally disagree with ur idea that jsp will outperform php everytime
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 7:56am On Jun 14, 2015
micodon:

Exactly my point. so you have to look at the points in my first post.

You cant just say one language is more performant than the other, when it comes to web app dev.

a lot are involved. E.g, 1000 comcurrent users calling a php script hosted behind nginx will recieve better perfomance than one served by apache.

In conclusion, i totally disagree with ur idea that jsp will outperform php everytime
I dont need to provide benchmarks. No point reinventing the wheel. Others have done that many times. The only languages that can compete with Java like i mentioned earlier are .Net Languages. The challenges in performance are not just in the interpretation/compilation, they also include memory management(many languages cant use the available memory on the machine efficiently, if you run a php script and a java file, check your process monitor,php will definately use more memory than Java for a single thread and for each new thread php will create another process which is very very poor design while Java or the other languages i discussed would still stay in 1 thread except explictly required to fork another process). As for facebook implementation, i used in 2012 to see how good it was. Really no much difference from the original language in terms of performance. Its only more scalable(works across multiple machines easier).
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 7:56am On Jun 14, 2015
Anyone looking for benchmarks. Just google it. LOL
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 9:02am On Jun 14, 2015
seunthomas:

I dont need to provide benchmarks. No point reinventing the wheel. Others have done that many times. The only languages that can compete with Java like i mentioned earlier are .Net Languages. The challenges in performance are not just in the interpretation/compilation, they also include memory management(many languages cant use the available memory on the machine efficiently, if you run a php script and a java file, check your process monitor,php will definately use more memory than Java for a single thread and for each new thread php will create another process which is very very poor design while Java or the other languages i discussed would still stay in 1 thread except explictly required to fork another process). As for facebook implementation, i used in 2012 to see how good it was. Really no much difference from the original language in terms of performance. Its only more scalable(works across multiple machines easier).

1. Jsp consumes more memory than php.
2. you re wrong about php creating another process. very wrong. that is the work of the web server. Apache does that. and its because apache is based on a thread per request model. Hhvm wont. again it's not the language but the implementation. Maybe you should read about ReactPHP
3. Java or jsp can never compete with Scala, Erlang, Nodejs, C/C++, GoLang etc when it comes to performance.

In fact, Scala which is based on Java was created because of Java's performance and concurrency problems. Bro, i know Java, the .Nets Python, Php and Ror. i currently porting to GoLang i know what im saying
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by drealboy(m): 10:13am On Jun 14, 2015
seunthomas:

I dont need to provide benchmarks. No point reinventing the wheel. Others have done that many times. The only languages that can compete with Java like i mentioned earlier are .Net Languages.

You need to. to show us how you arrive at it.nobody is arguing that some languages are not faster than some, but many people opinion on these are subjective.language A might be faster than language B but don't be surprised that language B can outperform language A if written by programmer than knows his onion.like i said, performance depend on a lot of factors, so saying one is faster than the other is highly subjective unless you provide us the benchmark you used to arrive at the conclusion.
seunthomas:

The challenges in performance are not just in the interpretation/compilation, they also include memory management(many languages cant use the available memory on the machine efficiently, if you run a php script and a java file, check your process monitor,php will definately use more memory than Java for a single thread and for each new thread php will create another process which is very very poor design while Java or the other languages i discussed would still stay in 1 thread except explictly required to fork another process). As for facebook implementation, i used in 2012 to see how good it was. Really no much difference from the original language in terms of performance. Its only more scalable(works across multiple machines easier).
have you ever reason why lots of ISPs providing PHP server platforms at relatively cheap prices. Java is not that well catered for by ISPs because It needs lots of memory and ISPs are not ready to provide it in useful quantities because it is not economical.On the other hand, PHP runs very efficiently, even on small hardware footprints.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 11:25am On Jun 14, 2015
@drealboy The way you argue, you are apparently a rookie programmer that has build some few applications in php. Point is Java is faster than PHP. If you can pay for the test, i will generate some benchmarks for you. Also you are very wrong. Java was designed to run on very very minimal footprint machines(under 200kb memory). There are different versions of the JVM(Java on Desktop is slightly different from the one that runs on the server(same JVM can execute all bytecodes though)). I am speaking based on the fact that i can code in more than 20 programming languages. Java is one of a kind. I still insist on my earlier statements.
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 11:26am On Jun 14, 2015
@drealboy Before you argue in a forum try to do your research first. You will be amazed at how little you actually know. grin
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by seunthomas: 11:34am On Jun 14, 2015
@micodon
1. Jsp consumes more memory than php.(Wrong JSP does not because its usually compiled the first time the application runs into byte code. First time its slow but after that its much more faster than PHP)
2. you re wrong about php creating another process. very wrong. that is the work of the web server. Apache does that. and its because apache is based on a thread per request model. Hhvm wont. again it's not the language but the implementation. Maybe you should read about ReactPHP. P
(Wrong again. This is actually the job of php which does not have native threads implemented in earlier versions <5). What threading does is at allows portions of the code execution to be split by sub units which execute them). PHP is just introducing this feature after many years. I am an active member of the php developer forum and made a few contributions.
3. Java or jsp can never compete with Scala, Erlang, Nodejs, C/C++, GoLang etc when it comes to performance. (Scala uses the same JVM as Java its just a superset built on top of Java. Erlang is pretty fast for OTP but not in all uses cases like web application development. C/C++ yes and if you read my post you will noticed i mentioned them as the baba of languages. NodeJS is a crap language and full of hype. It cant even use more than 2GB ram. I used it in a very high concurrent solution(100K uses online at a time) and was very disappointed. I had to use cluster which is a node module to create new node processes). It also cant use all the cores on the hardware so its very wasteful. GoLang (new languages) yes i said its built on top of the principles of c and some Java tips too.

In fact, Scala (Scala is Java) which is based on Java was created because of Java's performance and concurrency problems. Bro, i know Java, the .Nets Python, Php and Ror. i currently porting to GoLang i know what im saying
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 14, 2015
Working on a Spring Application currently (though i hate J2EE) but this statement is true.

Jsp consumes more memory than php.(Wrong JSP does not because its usually compiled the first time the application runs into byte code. First time its slow but after that its much more faster than PHP)

Compiling takes a while but it's quite faster as everything's memory, but left to me I prefer the .NET Platform, am not a fan of crazy xml configuration.

1 Like

Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 6:41pm On Jun 14, 2015
pcguru1:
Working on a Spring Application currently (though i hate J2EE) but this statement is true.

Compiling takes a while but it's quite faster as everything's memory, but left to me I prefer the .NET Platform, am not a fan of crazy xml configuration.

Again, implementation. HHVM compiles php to bytecode
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 6:43pm On Jun 14, 2015
Scala is not Java
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by Raypawer(m): 10:00pm On Jun 14, 2015
I prefer C# ASP.NET
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by Raypawer(m): 10:02pm On Jun 14, 2015
guy, whats so special with golang? it was developed by google to eliminate the slowness and clumsiness of software development at Google, and thereby to make the process more productive and scalable. but wait... angry angry

Go slow builds, has uncontrolled dependencies, each programmer using a different subset of the language, poor program understanding (code hard to read, poorly documented, has difficulty in writing automatic tools, and so on... am not saying go is that bad but from your statement,
Bro, i know Java, the .Nets Python, Php and Ror. i currently porting to GoLang i know what im saying
it either you have a lot of tool but dont know how to maximize them or you dont know their uses et all!

seunthomas:
@micodon
I used it in a very high concurrent solution(100K uses online at a time) and was very disappointed. I had to use cluster which is a node module to create new node processes). It also cant use all the cores on the hardware so its very wasteful. GoLang (new languages) yes i said its built on top of the principles of c and some Java tips too.

In fact, Scala (Scala is Java) which is based on Java was created because of Java's performance and concurrency problems. Bro, i know Java, the .Nets Python, Php and Ror. i currently porting to GoLang i know what im saying
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by micodon(m): 10:59pm On Jun 14, 2015
Raypawer:
guy, whats so special with golang? it was developed by google to eliminate the slowness and clumsiness of software development at Google, and thereby to make the process more productive and scalable. but wait... angry angry

Go slow builds, has uncontrolled dependencies, each programmer using a different subset of the language, poor program understanding (code hard to read, poorly documented, has difficulty in writing automatic tools, and so on... am not saying go is that bad but from your statement, it either you have a lot of tool but dont know how to maximize them or you dont know their uses et all!

Slowness and Clumsiness......Google use Java mainly...nuff said.

GoLang's concurrency model is exaclty what i need for the projects my team have. and i find its documentation quite easy. No language has it all. Like someone said, go for the most suitable. and for concurrency, i choose Go. Code hard to read? erm....Java?
Re: Best Server Side Language Your Opinion by larisoft: 7:30am On Jun 15, 2015
Still I maintain:

USE WHAT YOU KNOW BEST WHERE ITS ACCEPTABLE TO DO SO

I have been among the "I Know 15 languages...I use 5 everyday" and am telling you; that might be the first step towards knowing no language at all.

Those of us here who know PHP well know that there are functions in it that call direct C functions, while there are other functions that do the same job and yet; require interpretation to execute.

As for Java; knowing the language in and out is often the difference between "slow" and "fast". For instance, do you know how performance tasking creating objects are?

and you see someone write code like this:

for(int i = 0; i < database of 10000000 entries; i++){

User johnny = new User('asd ');

if(johnny.isAboy()){

System.out.println(" I am a fool"wink;

}

}

And this GENIUS programmer who was using php only an hour ago, and has done little or no OP programming would expect it to run fast.

ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR TOOL WELL; THE DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE BETWEEN LANGUAGES AFTER OPTIMIZATION IS USUALLY NEGLIGIBLE PERIOD! (EXCEPT YOU ARE USING C/C++ -WHICH YOU ARE PROBABLY NOT USING ANYWAYS)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is 60k Good Enough For A UI Designer / API To Get Nigeria's State And Cities / Android Ecommerce Shopping App Source Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.