Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

How Buhari's ADC Was Selected - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Buhari's ADC Was Selected (15889 Views)

Northern Youths Sack Of Igbos: Afenifere, MASSOB, ADC, IYM, Others React / SSS Fights Back, Accuses Buhari’s ADC Of Ignorance, Overzealousness-PremiumTimes / Buhari’s ADC Formally Writes To Withdraw DSS Personnel From Villa-vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by fretnot(m): 7:48pm On May 30, 2015
With the inauguration of Muhammadu Buhari as president a few hours away, it has emerged that infighting between a former Chief of Army Staff, General Abdulrahman Dambazzau and top former military officers from the north over key security appointments may threaten the cohesion of the incoming administration.PointBlankNews reports that the former military leaders, it was gathered, are unhappy that Dambazzau is already asserting himself as National Security Adviser (NSA)-designate, claiming he solely determines who gets any security and military appointment in the incoming administration.While the retired officers have reportedly aligned with Buhari’s decision to appoint key security and military aides from any part of the country outside of the core north, Dambazzau may have cladenstinely effected the appointment of a certain Lt. Col M. Lawal Abubakar as Buhari’s ADC.Abubakar like Dambazzau belongs to the military police corps and hails from the same Kano State. He is a member of the 44th Regular Course of Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA).As Lt. Col, Dambazzau was NDA’s registrar and was the anchor person on the Armed Forces selection board that admitted Abubakar and other cadets of the 44th Regular Course. 44th Regular Course was the most controversial intake into the NDA as Kano State, against the academy’s rule of admitting equal number of cadets per state, unexplicably had nearly double the number of intakes than any other state.Aside the admission blunder, military sources told Pointblanknews.com that several members of Course 44 from Kano dn’t have the required five O’Level credits and had to be writing the examinations as undergraduates of the Defence Academy.Dambazzau had reportedly attempted to foist Lt. Col. Yakassai, who was his ADC as Chief of Army Staff on Buhari, but that the president-elect flatly rejected the proposal.Like Abubakar, Yakassai was a member of the controversial 44th Regular Course, and served as ADC during Rabi’u Kwankwaso’s tenure as Minister of Defence and Dambazzau as Army Chief.On two attempts, Yakassai reportedly failed his promotion examinations and passed on the third attempt after Dambazzau’s personally intervention as Army Chief.The former military leaders from the north are reportedly worried that handing Buhari a core northern ADC would cast the president-elect in the mould of an ethnic champion.“Look at Obasanjo. The two ADCs that served him were from Edo State. The Late Yar’Adua’s ADC is from Delta State. Jonathan’s ADC is from Kogi, so why not get an ADC outside of the north west as Buhari’s ADC?” quizzed a retired two-star general.He continued, “True, there are no hard and fast rules about appointing ADCs. Howevern, the practice both in the military and for deserving political office holders is for the principal to appoint his ADC, being a personal aide, on the basis of his“In the alternative where due to the seniority gap between the principal and the officer, the practice is for the Army to avail the principal a shortlist of competent field officers between the ranks of Major and Lt. Colonel with accompanying briefs or a ‘pen picture’ of the candidate,” he added.Pointblanknews.com gathered that the Army was to send such shortlist with briefs to Buhari, and that the president was looking forward to making his preference, but that Dambazzau scuttled the process to enable his legman emerge.“Fully aware of the powers and influence of the ADC, the most important link between the president and the military, it comes as little surprise that Dambazzau so desperately wants to be responsible for appointing one for Buhari so he can effectively be in total control,” alleged a retired officer.Pointblanknews.com also gathered that Dambazzau had raised eyebrows when he sent a long list of soldiers and officers to be trained to replace the bodyguard elements in the presidential villa usually drawn from the DSS, Police and Nigerian Intelligence Agency (NIA), fueling concerns on his motives.Read more http://newswirengr.com/2015/05/30/dambazzau-the-infighting-ongoing-between-ex-northern-military-leaders-over-security-appointments-in-buharis-government/

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by captainBIAFRA(m): 7:53pm On May 30, 2015
cool
THE ONLY CRITERIA WAS HIS TRIBE cool smiley smiley smiley

7 Likes

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by adaybayor(m): 7:55pm On May 30, 2015
K
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Duru1(m): 7:58pm On May 30, 2015
APC and Nigeria are for a change indeed. Most officers of Nigerian armed forces from the northern region, including M. Buhari, are products of corruption. How could Nigerians not see the above debacle before casting their vote for corruption incarnate? Anyways majority of ill-educated Nigerians have always deduced that embezzlement of funds is the only corruption in the book.

6 Likes

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by gogochocolate: 7:59pm On May 30, 2015
round one gbam a leopard cannot change its skin

3 Likes

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Dannyset(m): 7:59pm On May 30, 2015
Which picture is the writer trying to paint? O'level issue, NSA or how Buhari ADC was appointed issue? Muntulas!

3 Likes

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by adaybayor(m): 8:01pm On May 30, 2015
Duru1:
APC and Nigeria are for a change indeed. Most officers of Nigerian armed forces from the northern region, including M. Buhari, are products of corruption. How could Nigerians not see the above debacle before casting their vote for corruption incarnate? Anyways majority of ill-educated Nigerians have always deduced that embezzlement of funds is the only corruption in the book.

Retar.deen

5 Likes

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by seunlayi(m): 8:26pm On May 30, 2015
great info

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Evvilgenius: 9:17pm On May 30, 2015
Typing..
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Dollyak(f): 9:22pm On May 30, 2015
Observing for now
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Eniola341: 9:32pm On May 30, 2015
Buy all the top smart phones in Nigeria both uk used and brand new we offer delivery nationwide for more info and price list
contact me Whastsapp: 09022996969 BBM: 271ECEB6

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by brixton: 9:45pm On May 30, 2015
The change is just getting started; Nigerians are just too fond of getting the wrong leadership to push us further backward. This is just the beginning...

1 Like

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Emmysteve(m): 9:54pm On May 30, 2015
GEJ my HERO, Fayose My role model

1 Like

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by ibisko04: 10:09pm On May 30, 2015
How on earth will anybody believe this gutter news.

3 Likes

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by CuteTj(m): 11:07pm On May 30, 2015
Abi dem wan use zoning again choose ADC. So how does Dambazzau and co. solve my basic problems? The media should stop reporting what is irrelevant to the moving forward of this nation.

2 Likes

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Nobody: 11:34pm On May 30, 2015
This is total hogwash. The writer decided to throw professional reporting to the dogs.
Gmb is a retired major general that has earned his stripes in thesame army you are talking about so how can dambazau dictate to him about who to appoint as Aide de camp.

3 Likes

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by chat2deen(m): 1:18am On May 31, 2015
fretnot:
With the inauguration of Muhammadu Buhari as president a few hours away, it has emerged that infighting between a former Chief of Army Staff, General Abdulrahman Dambazzau and top former military officers from the north over key security appointments may threaten the cohesion of the incoming administration.PointBlankNews reports that the former military leaders, it was gathered, are unhappy that Dambazzau is already asserting himself as National Security Adviser (NSA)-designate, claiming he solely determines who gets any security and military appointment in the incoming administration.While the retired officers have reportedly aligned with Buhari’s decision to appoint key security and military aides from any part of the country outside of the core north, Dambazzau may have cladenstinely effected the appointment of a certain Lt. Col M. Lawal Abubakar as Buhari’s ADC.Abubakar like Dambazzau belongs to the military police corps and hails from the same Kano State. He is a member of the 44th Regular Course of Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA).As Lt. Col, Dambazzau was NDA’s registrar and was the anchor person on the Armed Forces selection board that admitted Abubakar and other cadets of the 44th Regular Course. 44th Regular Course was the most controversial intake into the NDA as Kano State, against the academy’s rule of admitting equal number of cadets per state, unexplicably had nearly double the number of intakes than any other state.Aside the admission blunder, military sources told Pointblanknews.com that several members of Course 44 from Kano dn’t have the required five O’Level credits and had to be writing the examinations as undergraduates of the Defence Academy.Dambazzau had reportedly attempted to foist Lt. Col. Yakassai, who was his ADC as Chief of Army Staff on Buhari, but that the president-elect flatly rejected the proposal.Like Abubakar, Yakassai was a member of the controversial 44th Regular Course, and served as ADC during Rabi’u Kwankwaso’s tenure as Minister of Defence and Dambazzau as Army Chief.On two attempts, Yakassai reportedly failed his promotion examinations and passed on the third attempt after Dambazzau’s personally intervention as Army Chief.The former military leaders from the north are reportedly worried that handing Buhari a core northern ADC would cast the president-elect in the mould of an ethnic champion.“Look at Obasanjo. The two ADCs that served him were from Edo State. The Late Yar’Adua’s ADC is from Delta State. Jonathan’s ADC is from Kogi, so why not get an ADC outside of the north west as Buhari’s ADC?” quizzed a retired two-star general.He continued, “True, there are no hard and fast rules about appointing ADCs. Howevern, the practice both in the military and for deserving political office holders is for the principal to appoint his ADC, being a personal aide, on the basis of his“In the alternative where due to the seniority gap between the principal and the officer, the practice is for the Army to avail the principal a shortlist of competent field officers between the ranks of Major and Lt. Colonel with accompanying briefs or a ‘pen picture’ of the candidate,” he added.Pointblanknews.com gathered that the Army was to send such shortlist with briefs to Buhari, and that the president was looking forward to making his preference, but that Dambazzau scuttled the process to enable his legman emerge.“Fully aware of the powers and influence of the ADC, the most important link between the president and the military, it comes as little surprise that Dambazzau so desperately wants to be responsible for appointing one for Buhari so he can effectively be in total control,” alleged a retired officer.Pointblanknews.com also gathered that Dambazzau had raised eyebrows when he sent a long list of soldiers and officers to be trained to replace the bodyguard elements in the presidential villa usually drawn from the DSS, Police and Nigerian Intelligence Agency (NIA), fueling concerns on his motives.Read more http://newswirengr.com/2015/05/30/dambazzau-the-infighting-ongoing-between-ex-northern-military-leaders-over-security-appointments-in-buharis-government/

Baseless write up! I wonder how some ppl come up with lies. It was the same army that posted ADC to buhari. Some one is claiming dambazau choose it for buhari.

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Durinsday: 3:40am On May 31, 2015
People, I am yet to make meaning of this topic. This ADC was my camp commandant and is a fine officer. I do not think there should be zoning in this job. He is the one meant to take the bullet for his boss and Buhari has chosen whom he trusts.

Lets move on. And by the way, he made camp really fun while instilling discipline. I would choose him as my ADC too.

1 Like

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Kc3000: 4:38am On May 31, 2015
Buhari would have to be brainless(which he may or may not be) to let Dambazzau foist an ADC on him. It's more likely that he leaned on Dambazau's familiarity with the present crop of officers and embraced his suggestions as he made his decision. I don't really understand all the fuss accompanying this appointment. While a highly visible position, the ADC is not necessarily a powerful position. Sure, he can take advantage of his proximity to solicit personal favors from the president, but he's not going to influence military policy more than the service chiefs or the chief of defense staff.
Al Mustapha, as Abacha's CSO wielded more power than the ADC at the time could ever dream of having. I'll even suggest that the Chief Security Officer(CSO) is more essential to the president, in ensuring his safety. If it ever gets to the point where the ADC has to personally defend the president, his security has long been compromised.
Besides, I hear the new ADC was a mighty fine boy-soldier in the military school, and by all indications is an outstanding officer. I expect him to maintain the standard.

2 Likes

Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by OKKO(m): 6:30am On May 31, 2015
APC = tribalism = power to the North, crumbs to the West then others may be considered.
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Remarkable: 8:29am On May 31, 2015
Duru1:

Buhari's final decision on this matter will be telling indeed.
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Nobody: 8:36am On May 31, 2015
You were expecting an ibo ADC. Lol awon oloshi.
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Nobody: 8:39am On May 31, 2015
captainBIAFRA:
cool THE ONLY CRITERIA WAS HIS TRIBE cool smiley smiley smiley
The ONLY problem you have with the choice is TRIBE. ibo ADC my foot lol
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by HAH: 8:48am On May 31, 2015
One of the criteria used in choosing the president is his faith, necause it is expected the ADC follows his principal and worship as well.

Mustapha Dennis Onoyiveta a very competent officer presently a brigadier was the ADC to Yaradua, He is Urhobo from Delta state but a muslim.

And honestly the idea of a soldier standing behind our president should be abandoned at best the ADC should be his military assistant afterall the president security is handled by the CSO
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by thefairone: 8:48am On May 31, 2015
Durinsday:
People, I am yet to make meaning of this topic. This ADC was my camp commandant and is a fine officer. I do not think there should be zoning in this job. He is the one meant to take the bullet for his boss and Buhari has chosen whom he trusts.

Lets move on. And by the way, he made camp really fun while instilling discipline. I would choose him as my ADC too.

Did you serve in Kogi State.
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Nobody: 8:54am On May 31, 2015
I don't see any reason for this kinda publicity.. The data not information above makes no sense to me
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by myklangelo(m): 9:07am On May 31, 2015
Norherners always look out for their own no matter what. Nigeria to them is just an appendage. It is only we from the South that practises one Nigeria.

The 1st Igbo language blog is out, it is fun and insightful. Visit, comment, share and criticize.www.odeniigbo..com
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Chiefpriest1(m): 9:10am On May 31, 2015
I ve never liked a soldier standing behind the president like a statue
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by dokyOloye: 9:44am On May 31, 2015
I saw somewhere where it was said som1 failed his promotion exams twice,and it took d intervention of another oga for him to pass on d 3rd attempt.
This is exactly what led to d civil war,unbridled nepotism and corruption by d born to rule hegemonists.
Re: How Buhari's ADC Was Selected by Durinsday: 5:35pm On Feb 06, 2016
Yrp

(1) (Reply)

Buhari To Bandits: "Surrender Or Face Disgraceful And Violent End" / Construction Equipment In Delta State / Female Bombers Killed At Umulari Mulai Near Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.