Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,784 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. (38977 Views)

Snail Farming In Nigeria Made Easy, Practical Tips / Urgent Suggestion For Maize Farming / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Lekeadedapo(m): 3:27am On Mar 18, 2017
@Joive, thanks so much for the insight to the techniques and challenges faced in the entire process. I would really want you to explain more on 1.herbicide applications, 2. Is mixed cropping ok? ( Planting maize together with cassava) if yes, how are we to go about it? Thank you.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Aderex91: 9:48pm On Mar 22, 2017
i must really say am impressed most especially with you not giving up....you were persistent and focus on achieving your aim, i really learnt a grt deal from you. i am actually into planting maize this month, my one hectare has been cleared and ready to have it sprayed with insecticide and herbicide to avoid the unforseen and wait for 14day as you have advice b4 planting...thanks so much with your diary
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by pat077: 5:17pm On Mar 23, 2017
Aderex91:
i must really say am impressed most especially with you not giving up....you were persistent and focus on achieving your aim, i really learnt a grt deal from you. i am actually into planting maize this month, my one hectare has been cleared and ready to have it sprayed with insecticide and herbicide to avoid the unforseen and wait for 14day as you have advice b4 planting...thanks so much with your diary
If one wants to intercrop with cassava is it okay to spray with insecticides and herbicide?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Aderex91: 8:19pm On Mar 24, 2017
pat077:
If one wants to intercrop with cassava is it okay to spray with insecticides and herbicide?
herbicide kills the weeds while insecticide deals with the insect, so both have their different role they play
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by pat077: 12:11am On Mar 25, 2017
Aderex91:

herbicide kills the weeds while insecticide deals with the insect, so both have their different role they play
I know, what I am asking is if it's necessary to apply both before planting cassava
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Aderex91: 8:46am On Mar 31, 2017
pat077:
I know, what I am asking is if it's necessary to apply both before planting cassava
for the herbicide yes while for the insecticide if only the situation of the farm warrants it, i was anyway advice to wait until the maize starts coming out b4 taking any step but left to me i believe its better to prevent than curing
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Gheritage(m): 4:22pm On Apr 04, 2017
WHEN ARE WE TO START THIS FARMING SEASON?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by alakara(m): 5:21pm On Apr 04, 2017
Gheritage:
WHEN ARE WE TO START THIS FARMING SEASON?
Already started in some places

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by pat077: 5:26am On Apr 12, 2017
alakara:

Already started in some places
how do one stop or prevent birds from maize farm?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by alakara(m): 8:32am On Apr 12, 2017
pat077:
how do one stop or prevent birds from maize farm?
are they eating the planted seeds or what?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by jobzytravels(m): 9:36am On Apr 12, 2017
how and when does one apply TRAMPEX, AMPLIGO AND OR IRON FORCE to one's maize farm?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by pat077: 10:59am On Apr 12, 2017
alakara:

are they eating the planted seeds or what?
someone advice me against planting maize in the land I got because the place is like a forest, he said wild birds will finish the maize. That's why I want to know if there's anyway I can prevent or minimize birds from causing havoc in the farm.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by alakara(m): 11:37am On Apr 12, 2017
pat077:
someone advice me against planting maize in the land I got because the place is like a forest, he said wild birds will finish the maize. That's why I want to know if there's anyway I can prevent or minimize birds from causing havoc in the farm.

bros don't let naysayers deceive you go and start your farm.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by pat077: 11:47am On Apr 12, 2017
alakara:

bros don't let naysayers deceive you go and start your farm.
OK. But, what can I use to prevent them as a precaution
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by alakara(m): 4:16pm On Apr 12, 2017
pat077:
OK. But, what can I use to prevent them as a precaution
if it's seeds make sure that the seeds planted are mixed with appropriate chemicals
hybrids seeds are usually mixed.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by pat077: 5:03pm On Apr 12, 2017
alakara:

if it's seeds make sure that the seeds planted are mixed with appropriate chemicals
hybrids seeds are usually mixed.
what about the cob
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by alakara(m): 7:59pm On Apr 12, 2017
pat077:
what about the cob
firstly, your farm needs to be neat, also you need crow scarce.and if your maize don't stay too long on the hills before its becomes dried to the certain level the birds will starts eating it.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by pat077: 4:06am On Apr 13, 2017
alakara:

firstly, your farm needs to be neat, also you need crow scarce.and if your maize don't stay too long on the hills before its becomes dried to the certain level the birds will starts eating it.
I will try the crow scare. Do u mean I should not let it stay too long before harvesting to prevent the birds?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by TokyoBulls(m): 6:48am On Apr 13, 2017
Ampligo is a premium insecticide from Syngenta. It is applied two and six weeks after planting (according to recommendation) and the last time I bought in April 2017, a sachet cost N1,100. One sachet goes into one (16 lt) Knapsack sprayer. Normal spraying
jobzytravels:
how and when does one apply TRAMPEX, AMPLIGO AND OR IRON FORCE to one's maize farm?
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by staysure: 7:02am On Apr 13, 2017
nice
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Seun(m): 2:19pm On Apr 13, 2017
Agriculture seems easy until you consider diseases and pests and many other things that can destroy your yield and profit. Kudos to farmers.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by hadex90(m): 9:17am On May 28, 2017
we did not see the end of this diary...how many tons did u harvest at d long run?...how is ur marketing and how much did u sell per ton? cos this is d only reasonable thread on maize farming on nairaland
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by shennyblaq: 12:19pm On May 28, 2017
Joive:

The land was already tractorized in 2007 and has not be cultivated ever since. When planting, we used hoes to till the soil ( planting spots), not cutlasses.

Yes, they are normal herbicides. one is Glyphosate ( but in more concentrated form ) while the other is Altrazine. However, I advise you to treat and wait for the recommended window period of 14 days before planting. Most Agric Extension Agents from Government agencies will tell you to plant before treatment, don't try it because Altrazine which treats pre-emergence is very good at killing seeds and your crop's will not be spared.
We applied herbicide before planting and the seed germinated well
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by noeloge82(m): 2:36pm On May 28, 2017
Seun:
Agriculture seems easy until you consider diseases and pests and many other things that can destroy your yield and profit. Kudos to farmers.
But good agricultural practices keeps the biz going and remember every good biz comes with its own challenges and d a ability to over d challenges makes unsuccessful

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by uvalued(m): 8:11pm On May 28, 2017
is jovie still here
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Jacolu: 2:45pm On Jun 22, 2017
Your diary is full of information that are very useful and encouraging to young graduates who are looking for a gainful venture. I wish you update us on your uptodate experience. For example how many tons you finally got from one hectare, total cost up to date and if it is worth the while. Thanks
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by abayomialuko92(m): 2:25pm On Jun 28, 2017
Please how many man labour can work on 1 hectares of land per day? Thanks. And how is their charges rate.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 8:53am On Jul 20, 2017
Do you need cash to set up or expand your farm
Then try Green Nation
Green Nation addresses two (2) Major Challenges hindering people from going into
Agriculture and it Allied Industries:
1. Lack of adequate TRAINING on Modern Farming Technique
2. Lack of FINANCIAL POWER to engage in Modern Farming which is
COMMERCIALIZED AGRICULTURE.
Who is Involved..??
1. Green Nation & Valuechain Services Ltd (The Company/Platform)
2. Green Nation Members (You & Me)
3. Green Nation Partners (IITA & Project Fix Nigeria, Songhai Centre etc)
Connect with me on WhatsApp 08120528950 to learn more
It is real
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Vicabolics: 4:48pm On Dec 13, 2018
Any further information? Please share your final experiences!!!!!
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by joeybankz: 4:58pm On Oct 24, 2022
This is a business proposal for the AmRich MAIZE FARM. This is simply a sample of what a maize farm business plan in maize should look like.....
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Omo9ja147(m): 4:34pm On Oct 25, 2022
Why didn't u use seedco?.... That's one of the best seed company for now.... The yield of seedco yellow maize is amazing.
Re: Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. by Seun(m): 5:25pm On Oct 25, 2022
Omo9ja147:
Why didn't u use seedco?.... That's one of the best seed company for now.... The yield of seedco yellow maize is amazing.
Which of the yellow SeedCo did you plant? Was it the SC 510?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly / Daily Price Of Foodstuff And Commodities Uploaded / Anambra Stone Free Rice Ready For Export

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.