Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,353 members, 7,860,917 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:56 PM

Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! (841 Views)

TO SEUN: Please We Need A Dislike Button For Nairaland Comments / Nairaland Comments Of The Week / Nairaland Comments Are Ambiguous! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by petokey: 4:25pm On Jun 01, 2015
Yes!! I think is high time i come out of my shell of ignorance. And i am pretty sure, i am not the only person undergoing this dilema. But lets say i am the bravest among them to have voiced it out.

While reading posts and comments on Nairaland, i do come across lots of abbrevations and acronyms that appears very ambiguous for my liking. It sometimes causes a disconnect in comprehending the writer's (poster or commenter) message. Examples include:

1. OP:

Lately i came to understand that they are actually referring to a person who creates a post. But what is the origin of the abbreviation OP?

2. WTH:

please what does this mean?

3. ROTFL:

Haba!, which one is this again? Sometimes i feel like i didn't go to school.

4. Lolss and Lolzz:

Even though i happen to know this, i honestly don't know its origin?

5. WTF:

Initially i thought this meant 'WaiT First' but as time goes on, it doesn't make meaning in some comments i read, thinking that was the meaning.

6. ATM:

This is the latest i am seeing in nairaland now. For God sake, i know ATM to be Automated Teller Machine. But Nlanders has another meaning now

7. BTW:

When i was in secondary school, i used it as short form of the word 'BETWEEN' but now it obviously means something else to Nlanders.

There are many more, but these are the most commonly used i can remember.

Please somebody should keep we the learners up to speed with the meaning of these abbreviations so that we won't always be left behind.

Thanks in anticipation of a kind gesture from a good samaritan.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by Bozzax: 4:32pm On Jun 01, 2015
petokey:
Yes!! I think is high time i come out of my shell of ignorance. And i am pretty sure, i am not the only person undergoing this dilema. But lets say i am the bravest among them to have voiced it out.

While reading posts and comments on Nairaland, i do come across lots of abbrevations and acronyms that appears very ambiguous for my liking. It sometimes causes a disconnect in comprehending the writer's (poster or commenter) message. Examples include:

1. OP:

Lately i came to understand that they are actually referring to a person who creates a post. But what is the origin of the abbreviation OP?

2. WTH:

please what does this mean?

3. ROTFL:

Haba!, which one is this again? Sometimes i feel like i didn't go to school.

4. Lolss and Lolzz:

Even though i happen to know this, i honestly don't know its origin?

5. WTF:

Initially i thought this meant 'WaiT First' but as time goes on, it doesn't make meaning in some comments i read, thinking that was the meaning.

6. ATM:

This is the latest i am seeing in nairaland now. For God sake, i know ATM to be Automated Teller Machine. But Nlanders has another meaning now

7. BTW:

When i was in secondary school, i used it as short form of the word 'BETWEEN' but now it obviously means something else to Nlanders.

There are many more, but these are the most commonly used i can remember.

Please somebody should keep we the learners up to speed with the meaning of these abbreviations so that we won't always be left behind.

Thanks in anticipation of a kind gesture from a good samaritan.

OP- Original Poster

WTH- What the hell.

ROTFL- Rolling on the floor laughing

Lolz/lols- laughing out loud

WTF- What the fvck

ATM- At the moment

BTW- By the way

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by alphajerus(m): 4:33pm On Jun 01, 2015
i wonder ooooo my dear u never even confuse reach me. Cos i had to rush and get an abreviation dictionary b4 i could understand u.... Se me see trouble wat is FTC
Re: Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by delishpot: 4:38pm On Jun 01, 2015
Bozzax:

OP- Original Poster

WTH- What the hell.

WTF- What the fvck

ATM- At the moment

BTW- By the way

Good job. OP I hope you know the answers now.
BTW, have a nice day.
Re: Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by Bozzax: 4:42pm On Jun 01, 2015
delishpot:

Good job. OP I hope you know the answers now. BTW, have a nice day.
Have a nice day too. wink
Re: Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by Bozzax: 4:42pm On Jun 01, 2015
delishpot:

Good job. OP I hope you know the answers now. BTW, have a nice day.
Have a nice day too. wink
Re: Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by petokey: 4:47pm On Jun 01, 2015
Bozzax:

OP- Original Poster

WTH- What the hell.

WTF- What the fvck

ATM- At the moment

BTW- By the way

My brother thanks for the enlightenment.
BTW wink, what about FTC according to alphajerus? grin
Re: Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by Bozzax: 4:48pm On Jun 01, 2015
petokey:

My brother thanks for the enlightenment.
BTW ;-), what about FTC according to alphajerus?

FTC- First to comment.
Re: Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by petokey: 4:54pm On Jun 01, 2015
Bozzax:

FTC- First to comment.

thanx bro!

My fellow Nlanders that has other abbreviations, please spit them out oh! Bozzax is here to help us out.
Re: Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by petokey: 1:21pm On Jun 02, 2015
Whats LMAO?
Re: Nairaland Comments, So Ambiguous!! by Firmjudge(m): 5:13pm On Jun 02, 2015
petokey:
Whats LMAO?
laughing my azs out

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Army Gives Cheques To Families Of Fallen Soldiers / MTN Giving Out Credit To Customer For Revalidating Sim Registeration / The Types Of Facebook Friend You Need To Delete Right Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.