Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! (51379 Views)

I Hereby Denounce Feminism With Everything In Me. / Feminism: The True Colour / Girl Destroys Feminism In Just 3 Minutes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by NifemiOlu(m): 2:40am On Jun 02, 2015
I don’t think I need to define the meaning of feminism at this point but a careful look at the core of feminism shows that it is centered on economic, social and political rights of women.
Feminism is a great movement as no human is expected to be subordinate to the other sexes—males and shemales. It is germane that I let you realise that feminism, to African women—at least most women, is a fraud. It is a fraud because it is not understood in the right context, the African context.
The aim of feminism all over the world is different. In the US, feminists are calling for equal pay with men. What do Nigerian women want? They want equality but then, ask, is there a state government that pays women less than their male counterparts? Is there a private company that does so? The answer is NO but there persists a problem—an inequality problem. The Nigerian laws have protected women more than they could imagine and providing equality but…
I have studied feminism or let me say I’ve been ‘following’ feminism since 2009 and since that time till now, I have not read a robust article that did justice to the place culture in feminism in Nigeria. All feminist arguments have been imported just like ‘our’ makeups and shoes and bags and sin bras…I love sin bras…another broad day light fraud.
An average feminist in Nigeria looks like this: educated, beautiful in her own way, smart, independent, religious and wants to get married. But little did many of them know that those guys selling that brand of feminism from abroad are people who don’t practise religion or let me say people who are not religious as we do. They don’t really place a premium on marriage as we do. Marriage is the bane of feminism in Nigeria. Take it or deny it.
Marriages in Nigeria draw their strength from culture. When we look at cultures from most parts of the country, we could deduce that most are suppressive to women and children but comes the issue of marriage that is rooted in culture. Let’s take a look at some of the world’s leading feminists: Naomi Wolf (age 52, divorced, 2 kids), Natasha Walter (48, unmarried, 2 kids), Opray Winfrey (61, engaged since 1992 till date), Elizabeth Wurtzel (47, married May 9, 2015) and so on. I am not painting a razor sharp view that feminists were not happily married, I am just showing a general overview of what their lives are. In top countries, you cannot easily say this is the culture of marriage…everything seems general. In Nigeria, women are tied down by culture even more than religion.
Culture is the major problem of women in Nigeria and not the ‘men are against women’ mentality some clueless women are preaching as feminism. I believe for women to thrive, most cultures need to re-evaluate their positions on women or women should be ready to live happily like the above named women because you can’t proclaim to be a feminist under a culture that suppresses. How many women are ready to leave their father’s house with defiance, move in with a man, have his kids etc? These are what people selling feminism from abroad are doing. They are not bound by culture as the Nigerian woman is.
Women need to place themselves highly in terms of image. Look around, which gender walks almost naked and demands respect? Women! Look at music videos, girls shamelessly throw themselves up and down. I remember before my grandma died, we were watching a musical video, she shook her head and said “that’s why girls need to be circumcised” I understand the poor woman’s argument but health experts have made us to know genital mutilation is bad. If women are cheap, how do you convince up holders of tradition to discontinue circumcision?
Feminism in Nigeria should never have an outlook of the foreign type of feminism because it is a fraud…a joke in its entire sense. The laws of Nigeria have provided safety of the woman but ignorance is killing many women. I feel the type of feminism that should resonate in Nigeria is one that should centre on girl-child education but every other thing that concerns women have been taken care of by appropriate laws. Even the girl-child wahala has been taken care of by the government but the major problem of women is culture and not the men in power. If women can be united, wonders will happen but as one of my lecturers would say, “A woman is the problem of another woman”. At work, who creates problem for the other woman? A fellow woman. Who marries or dates a married man? A fellow woman. Women need to start kicking against terrible cultural practices rather than cooking a war with the ‘male gender’. Sellers of feminism abroad don’t have a cultural problem, they have a gender problem but as Nigerian women, the problem is not in the gender but the culture.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Ewuro4: 3:10am On Jun 02, 2015
I really don't like discussing this topic but your post is catchy!

"The problem is not the gender , is the culture"

What does Nigerian culture depicts? Let's take a look at 2/3 commonly discussed examples..

1. Submissiveness in marriage.
2. Male superiority.

These ^^ are no doubt our culture in every region ... Soooo *sighs* what was your point again? Oh pay scale. That's just the least of Nigerian Feminist problems. For starters , they don't want to be answerable to anybody. Don't dictate what their choices should be. Simple as that. So in other words they have a cause. And that's just the tip of the iceberg but I'm making supper in between so no time.

And Please forget the pseudo feminists clowning around when discussing Feminism. Frankly, I don't take those serious atall. I call them 'shoe shiners'. When you see , hear & read a Feminist , you'll know. Period.

Add on: still on family. you're right , the acclaimed Feminists you mentioned in your original post do not have husbands.The married feminists are what Nigerians don't get. I pondered on the whole System and it is just not possible to be your own person in a working relationship, it's not. Every decision must be joint. So what's the independence in that? It's either you have an open marriage or remain single. Besides being related to as his equal, every woman wants to be treated like well, a woman. That's the dynamics of marriage under normal circumstances. I've read many articles about Feminist men and I don't see any form of endearment about them. The woman may as well stay single, hire a sperm donor and wear her well deserved T-shirt.

Do I believe in equal opportunities? Hell yeah. Do I believe we are equal Absolutely NOT. But that's just me.

Contd.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogaluta(f): 3:46am On Jun 02, 2015
Lemme just spread my mat here cheesy
btw, I did not read the op undecided

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Janedoe26(f): 6:26am On Jun 02, 2015
Too early... Just woke up. I'd give my two cents later.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by cococandy(f): 6:48am On Jun 02, 2015
And bla bla bla continues

5 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by NifemiOlu(m): 7:03am On Jun 02, 2015
@Ewuro4
If any woman wants to enjoy feminism from the angle of foreign ideology, then she should break away from culture. If she decides to fulfil the obligations of her culture, she has to find a way of defeating the suppression in that culture. Feminism has been painted as men are against women but when you critically look at up holders of culture of male superiority and women's senseless submissiveness, both sexes are involved. So the issue is with the culture.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by NifemiOlu(m): 7:35am On Jun 02, 2015
cococandy:
And bla bla bla continues

7 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by babygirlfl: 7:54am On Jun 02, 2015
OP I like the fact that you said for now because it was a joke too in England for a long time but isn't today. Fact is that Nigeria is decades and maybe up to a century behind but a drop of water they say makes a mighty ocean. Women have to do their little even if it means being called any name. Our hope is that we do the little we can now and leave the next generation of women a better world than we had.

My only hope is that what Nigerian feminist or pseudo-feminist as some call us are facing today is no different from what the western women faced long time ago but did it stop feminism from happening? No. One of the major setback that early feminist in the west experienced was huddles from fellow women. Women who were either scared to go against the norm or women who have the need to get approval from men. It does not surprise me. It was and is still expected. Even Queen Victoria of England in the 1800s did not like feminists and even said Feminists ought to get a good whipping. That still did not stop feminism from happening.

Op, Most feminist I know say it that it's the culture so I don't understand what you mean by men against women. The west too had very strict cultures that oppressed women at the time feminism was at it's infancy. If they could do it then, we can do it.

Yes there is an adage that says that when you are ready for a fight, you should be ready to get injured. For feminism to happen, some of us will get called names, some of us may not get married, some of us may get divorced etc. If people can go to war and get killed to get peace, being called names, not getting married and getting divorced is a little price to pay for feminism. It is also important to know that some of us will also live a very happy life. Remember also that some non-feminist women will still be single for life, be called names and get divorced.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 8:01am On Jun 02, 2015
I usually stay away from this topic because its a very difficult topic to discuss without it becoming a male vs female bashing fest
Op of you really want mature discussions on your thread, you may want to change your title to something less confrontational.

I live in the west and here when a feminist talks I totally understand what she is saying and fighting for. They follow up with actions and are very passionate about the things that they fight and campaign for . . which is womens rights. Not one right, not two rights or rights in just some areas . . .they fight for rights in all areas that concern women.

They fight for things such as pay, against the glass ceiling, discrimination, for childcare support, against domestic violence, laws that marginalise women and a whole heap of other things. They go out in the rain and run marathons for their cause, they go to TV stations and eloquently pass accross their views, they sign petitions and obtain thousands of signatures and march down to Downing street. They have a strategy, they know what they want and they go for it.

I dont see much of that in Nigeria. I may be wrong but the flavour of the Nigerian feminist seems to only be within relationships. Howvever relationships are really built on the foundation of cultural and for those who have a religion, religious beleifs as well.
The most rugged of Nigerian feminists will not refuse to cook if her MIL comes visiting just becasue she cooked yesterday and its hubbys turn to cook today.

Some MIL's are more dangerous to the marriage than the man himself.
Its the culture that needs to be tweaked and old things that dont work are the things that need to be done away with
Some pastors have sent women to their grave with the sit and endure advise to a woman who is being abused.
This is cultural and religious advise gone wrong.

Until the Nigerian feminist embraces the "whole thing" and not just bits, they wont wont get much support and they wont be taken seriously.
Go to the grassroots, empower women, send them to school, open shelters for those suffering domestic violence, be out there fighting for the rights of women, lobby govt to pass laws to protect women and so on.

I am all for the rights of women and equal oppourtunities in all areas not just some areas. I should earn the same my male collegues are earning and if I want to retire at the same age as my male collegues then I should be able to.

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 02, 2015
Ewuro4:
I really don't like discussing this topic but your post is catchy!
Contd.

Chaii!!!

Aunty mi cheesy

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Leonidas1: 8:04am On Jun 02, 2015
cool
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 02, 2015
To me, what I understood this to be isn't "men versus women" bash fest but many insecured men on this forum, made it to seem so.

Well, the name "feminism" might not sound cool though "women right activism would have been better".

Now, let me educate you where women are marginalised though it depends on the individuals, anyway.

1) Why would a woman be pestered and called all different sorts of names just because she decided to remain single? but different when it comes to a man. Isn't it marginalisation?
A husband and wife had mutual understanding/agreement on certain things, and some men whom it didn't concern starts telling you how she's a 21st century Jezebel bossing her husband around.

2) You committed the same gender discrimination crime in your original post. Why blaming those divorced American women you listed^^^, instead of finding out what caused the hiatus(probably, their husband), but you lumped the blame on them as sexists would always do.
Again, Kim Kardashian and her mother Kris Jenner has never associated theirselves as a feminist(infact they are anti-feminist).
Kim has divorced twice...
Kris has divorced once....
Lady gaga is also a known anti-feminist and is she having a fufilled life?

3) Why do whenever a female err, her gender would be emphasized on, instead of who did it?.
For instance, when a woman commit a crime, you will hear "women sha" meanwhile, men are expert in that crime.

I guess all these, are not gender discrimination.
Anyhoo, you can't deny gender discrimination.
Like Bisi Fayemi-Adeleye , Ekiti state first lady et al who associate herself as feminist and married. She's carrying out female child rights empowerment.
By the way, No government has taken care of anything about protecting female child rights in Nigeria like you opined; infact they are in support of Child marriage known as yerimarisation. Non-governmental organisation is the sole helper.

Lastly, you claim Nigerian feminists are pseudo, but many, still go ahead to blame feminism for destrowing marriages in Nigeria. Confused much!

Men and women are darn equal.
Men and women represents human and even the holy bible said that God made all things equally in His image.

Are they the same? NO? Infact, no two humans are the same whether male or female.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogaluta(f): 4:48pm On Jun 02, 2015
FrancisTony:
To me, what I understood this to be isn't "men versus women" bash fest but many insecured men on this forum, made it to seem so.

Well, the name "feminism" might not sound cool though "women right activism would have been better".

Now, let me educate you where women are marginalised though it depends on the individuals, anyway.

1) Why would a woman be pestered and called all different sorts of names just because she decided to remain single? but different when it comes to a man. Isn't it marginalisation?
A husband and wife had mutual understanding/agreement on certain things, and some men whom it didn't concern starts telling you how she's a 21st century Jezebel bossing her husband around.

2) You committed the same gender discrimination crime in your original post. Why blaming those divorced American women you listed^^^, instead of finding out what caused the hiatus(probably, their husband), but you lumped the blame on them as sexists would always do.
Again, Kim Kardashian and her mother Kris Jenner has never associated theirselves as a feminist(infact they are anti-feminist).
Kim has divorced twice...
Kris has divorced once....
Lady gaga is also a known anti-feminist and is she having a fufilled life?

3) Why do whenever a female err, her gender would be emphasized on, instead of who did it?.
For instance, when a woman commit a crime, you will hear "women sha" meanwhile, men are expert in that crime.

I guess all these, are not gender discrimination.
Anyhoo, you can't deny gender discrimination.
Like Bisi Fayemi-Adeleye , Ekiti state first lady et al who associate herself as feminist and married. She's carrying out female child rights empowerment.
By the way, No government has taken care of anything about protecting female child rights in Nigeria like you opined; infact they are in support of Child marriage known as yerimarisation. Non-governmental organisation is the sole helper.

Lastly, you claim Nigerian feminists are pseudo, but many, still go ahead to blame feminism for destrowing marriages in Nigeria. Confused much!

Men and women are darn equal.
Men and women represents human and even the holy bible said that God made all things equally in His image.

Are they the same? NO? Infact, no two humans are the same whether male or female.

My people. I'm in love with this guy cheesy kiss

14 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jun 02, 2015
coogaluta:

My people. I'm in love with this guy cheesy kiss
I remembered you as alutacontinua. tongue

You were a role model when I newly joined Nairaland and you were a judge during Nairaland educational debate. embarassed grin
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Ewuro4: 5:00pm On Jun 02, 2015
This is not a man vs woman thread and I would hate for this thread to decend to that. This is just a platform to express our opinion.

Why should a Feminist feel berated or small because she's not married , divorced and free?
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Stillfire: 5:13pm On Jun 02, 2015
It is unbelievable how more often than not the fraudulence that emits through questionable posts like this which is entirely borne out of the desire to continue being the privileged group or the knack to be oblivious to the inequalities in society when it comes to gender. You see this fraudulence often in the disguise with grammatical jargons like equity, humanism, womanist, or in this case and argument “…ohhh it’s not gender based, it’s “culture” (meanwhile oppressive cultures sooner or later bring about revolutions. A culture suppressing women would become a gender based war from the champions -mostly MALE and some female accomplices- who desire such oppressive traditions to continue) all in a bid to discredit feminism and to sidetrack the argument or rather shy away from the crux of the matter that society is breaking itself from the shackles of patriarchy. It is a dent to you as a male…egos getting crushed by stilettos. The question now is WHY?

Feminism

Feminism is the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes. In other words, this is termed gender equality. According to the UN, Gender equality refers to the equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities of women and men and girls and boys. Equality does not mean that women and men will become the same but that women’s and men’s rights, responsibilities and opportunities will not depend on whether they are born male or female. Gender equality implies that the interests, needs and priorities of both women and men are taken into consideration, recognizing the diversity of different groups of women and men. Gender equality is not a women’s issue but should concern and fully engage men as well as women. Equality between women and men is seen both as a human rights issue and as a precondition for, and indicator of, sustainable people-centered development.

Feminism focuses on womanhood at the moment, not because it’s some hobby or ‘favorite pastime’, but as of the present and not forgetting the not so distant past, women are and were the disenfranchised in the society in whatever class she belonged in. Feminists consist of males and females who had perceived or still perceive this inequality in society. Nigerian feminists address violence in the home, sexual harassment at school and work, rape and defilement, harsh and punitive widowhood rites, forced childhood marriages, sexual violence in conflict situations like during armed robbery attacks, enforcement of gender biased laws, discrimination against the girl-child, disinheritance of wives and daughters and harmful traditional and religious practices that think the less of women championed by men and WOMEN alike. For example, just last year was the Supreme Court able to uphold the right of the female child to inherit properties in Igboland. A system that claims to respect womanhood or pretends not to understand what feminists are fighting for should be devoid of these social ills. But they exist!

Feminism in Nigeria challenges how femininity is viewed as weak, inferior and substandard to masculinity. In a 2007 publication in the Nordic Journal of African Studies, many Nigerian youths understood masculinity to be the opposite of femininity but pointed out that the former is culturally superior to the latter. I dare anyone to challenge that statement and give me excuses this is not the average Nigerian thought process. So, it suffices to say that we believe femininity is inferior. I also dare any woman who champion the superiority of men to look at themselves in the mirror and call herself inferior. Such attitudes translate into the home, political, religious, cultural and social front. Feminists here focus often on the home because that is where these attitudes are engineered into the fabric of society to see femininity as inferior. Nigerian feminism questions the primitive ideology that respect is what you accord to a husband as if respect is not something a fellow human being in the form of a wife should be granted. Nigerian feminists challenge the idea that virtues like patience, tolerance, long suffering, and humility are what you expect from a woman and not a man despite the FACT that the religious books they tend to quote require that men show these same qualities. It is absolutely logical and rational that the criteria for leadership in a non-partnership or unequal home arrangement should depend on the capabilities of either the woman or man. Who is the best leader between them? Nigerian feminists recognize the FACT that leadership is NOT gender based, and that a woman can be a provider, a bread winner, be more intelligent than the husband and should be PROUD of it and not hide the fact from society that she is indeed the PROVIDER in her home. There are women better at leading a home than a man, so also there are men who have no insecure qualms nor see it as a dent to self in taking care of the home and feminists fight for them to be accepted in society!

Patriarchy and the Unabashed Focus on Womanhood

Power is intoxicating. Checks and balances are placed in every sane establishment or system to avoid tyranny, despotism and dictatorship. Patriarchy in a very long while exhibited the aforementioned unpunished. Now the question is who checks patriarchy? And how can the so called 'subjects' under the auspices of patriarchy be protected? Are the subjects eternally doomed to the whims and caprices of the 'leader' in a system that has proven many a time beyond reasonable doubt to have been intoxicated with power, by controlling and dehumanizing the sensibilities of what constitutes a major and very important half of the human race? What rights do these 'subjects' have? Are these rights set in stone, in law- signed and dotted and actually ENFORCED in countries like Nigeria that is being ruled by men and being destroyed by men (I have to add)? No human being should be trusted with power. Abraham Lincoln once stated a powerful quote “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.” It would be entirely insane to relinquish the determinant of womanhood in the hands of a system driven by those who got or get a high from the excruciating subjugation of the female species. Therefore, there's an absolute need for a check and balance system to protect the rights of the so called 'subjects' in this system of governance called Patriarchy.
FEMINISM CHECKED and checks the excesses of patriarchy. Just as the legislative arm checks executive powers and vice versa, so will feminism check patriarchy as of now till we can come to a consensus for the balance of power. In the same vain, masculinists can check feminism if they wish. Absolute power is a hindrance to any successful man-made establishment. Patriarchy was bastardized and has lost its savor because of the debilitating lengths it had taken over the centuries to disregard womanhood. Patriarchy has lost such hold and it will never ever have such a hold on humanity ever again. Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny - Thomas Jefferson.

Tyranny - the cruel and oppressive government or rule. You yourself alluded to the tyrannical nature of culture on women. Patriarchy was the custodian of that oppressive culture.

Therefore...

“As for now,” since patriarchy is being practiced in “Nigeria”, womanhood must be protected at all cost! It shall not be the decider of any female’s fate based on its record of being a despotic, tyrannical establishment!

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by raumdeuter: 5:14pm On Jun 02, 2015
interesting
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by crackhaus: 5:18pm On Jun 02, 2015
tearoses:
I usually stay away from this topic because its a very difficult topic to discuss without it becoming a male vs female bashing fest
Op of you really want mature discussions on your thread, you may want to change your title to something less confrontational.

I live in the west and here when a feminist talks I totally understand what she is saying and fighting for. They follow up with actions and are very passionate about the things that they fight and campaign for . . which is womens rights. Not one right, not two rights or rights in just some areas . . .they fight for rights in all areas that concern women.

They fight for things such as pay, against the glass ceiling, discrimination, for childcare support, against domestic violence, laws that marginalise women and a whole heap of other things. They go out in the rain and run marathons for their cause, they go to TV stations and eloquently pass accross their views, they sign petitions and obtain thousands of signatures and march down to Downing street. They have a strategy, they know what they want and they go for it.

I dont see much of that in Nigeria. I may be wrong but the flavour of the Nigerian feminist seems to only be within relationships.
Howvever relationships are really built on the foundation of cultural and for those who have a religion, religious beleifs as well.
The most rugged of Nigerian feminists will not refuse to cook if her MIL comes visiting just becasue she cooked yesterday and its hubbys turn to cook today.

Some MIL's are more dangerous to the marriage than the man himself.
Its the culture that needs to be tweaked and old things that dont work are the things that need to be done away with
Some pastors have sent women to their grave with the sit and endure advise to a woman who is being abused.
This is cultural and religious advise gone wrong.

Until the Nigerian feminist embraces the "whole thing" and not just bits, they wont wont get much support and they wont be taken seriously.
Go to the grassroots, empower women, send them to school, open shelters for those suffering domestic violence, be out there fighting for the rights of women, lobby govt to pass laws to protect women and so on.

I am all for the rights of women and equal oppourtunities in all areas not just some areas. I should earn the same my male collegues are earning and if I want to retire at the same age as my male collegues then I should be able to.
Articulate enough, nothing to add... cool

Where the hell is the THREAD CLOSED button gringrin

5 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by klark3: 5:19pm On Jun 02, 2015
babygirlfl:
OP I like the fact that you said for now because it was a joke too in England for a long time but isn't today. Fact is that Nigeria is decades and maybe up to a century behind but a drop of water they say makes a mighty ocean. Women have to do their little even if it means being called any name. Our hope is that we do the little we can now and leave the next generation of women a better world than we had.

My only hope is that what Nigerian feminist or pseudo-feminist as some call us are facing today is no different from what the western women faced long time ago but did it stop feminism from happening? No. One of the major setback that early feminist in the west experienced was huddles from fellow women. Women who were either scared to go against the norm or women who have the need to get approval from men. It does not surprise me. It was and is still expected. Even Queen Victoria of England in the 1800s did not like feminists and even said Feminists ought to get a good whipping. That still did not stop feminism from happening.

Op, Most feminist I know say it that it's the culture so I don't understand what you mean by men against women. The west too had very strict cultures that oppressed women at the time feminism was at it's infancy. If they could do it then, we can do it.

Yes there is an adage that says that when you are ready for a fight, you should be ready to get injured. For feminism to happen, some of us will get called names, some of us may not get married, some of us may get divorced etc. If people can go to war and get killed to get peace, being called names, not getting married and getting divorced is a little price to pay for feminism. It is also important to know that some of us will also live a very happy life. Remember also that some non-feminist women will still be single for life, be called names and get divorced.
Lol... So u're ready to fight & get injured for a worthless cause?

It's a pity dat most women have dis innate tendency of looking down on demselves, dat's d problem. List three things only a man is allowed to do in dis country, as regards rights & opportunities? Michael jackson went for a plastic surgery just because he wasn't proud of his colour, but what did he get in return?

Women should appreciate & portray their gender in a positive & proud manner, let dem see if men won't wish dey were women. U mentioned some names of female leaders, saying nigerian women will get there soon, are u in any way saying considerable percentage of women living in dose countries are happy based on d achievements of dose female leaders?

Women have been given more dan enough leeway already in dis country, they are now fully emancipated, so I really don't understand what dis feminism issue is all about.

If their is any sector u do not find a woman in dis country, I'm convinced it's definitely not because of gender discrimination, but her inability to meet up with d requirements. Instead of telling us how u intend to care of ur hubby, u're implicitly telling us how u intend to fight & divorce him.

Babygirlfl why?

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Ewuro4: 5:25pm On Jun 02, 2015
Stillfire.. Feminism is never gonna work in Nigerian Family setting.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by crackhaus: 5:27pm On Jun 02, 2015
Say NO to effizy feminism AKA pseudo-feminism AKA paper/internet feminism.

Go into streets and fight for your cause people - double up... grin

8 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by raumdeuter: 5:28pm On Jun 02, 2015
klark3:

Women have been given more dan enough leeway already in dis country, they are now fully emancipated, so I really don't understand what dis feminism issue is all about.

I disagree, the below issues in bold are still prevalent in Nigeria

Child support, child marriage, domestic violence, child labour, female mutilation, girl child education are the major things I think African female should be fighting for not the who wash plates, who cook, and the self serving agenda

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TooNoisy(f): 5:28pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ewuro4:

I pondered on the whole System and it is just not possible to be your own person in a working relationship, it's not. Every decision must be joint. So what's the independence in that? It's either you have an open marriage or remain single. Besides being related to as his equal, every woman wants to be treated like well, a woman. That's the dynamics of marriage under normal circumstances. I've read many articles about Feminist men and I don't see any form of endearment about them. The woman may as well stay single, hire a sperm donor and wear her well deserved T-shirt.

Do I believe in equal opportunities? Hell yeah. Do I believe we are equal Absolutely NOT. But that's just me.

Contd.

One of the most intelligent posts I have read here. One of the biggest lies of Nigerian feminists is that you can be an independent woman in marriage. Wrong!. Whoever gets married gives up independence and embraces INTERDEPENDENCE - both man and woman. Marriage itself involves sharing your life with someone else, hence giving up the complete independence when you were single. Marriage is interdependence and not independence.

I just wonder why it is so easy to confuse black people. How can you be married and be independent?

Your second point is the bigger joke. Our feminists want chivalry but would claim absolute equality with men. I haven't seen our Nairaland feminists joining politics, civil rights, caring for women who really deserve attention in the rural areas. All they do is come here to bitch about their horrible marriages and try to deceive the gullible.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Stillfire: 5:32pm On Jun 02, 2015
Ewuro4:
Stillfire.. Feminism is never gonna work in Nigerian Family setting.

I will tell you why. Because we see men as culturally superior to women. Don't you think something is wrong with this attitude and if we should look at the reversal statement on that premise it translates that females are inferior to males. Damn!

8 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Ewuro4: 5:32pm On Jun 02, 2015
raumdeuter:
Child support, child marriage, domestic violence, child labour, female mutilation, girl child education are the major things I think African female should be fighting for not the who wash plates, who cook, and the self serving agenda

Absolutely ridiculous.
I think our government is working on them... We'll get there.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jun 02, 2015
Feminist support chivalry because people at the top got there by merit which is not so in marriage which is gotten by privilege.

No hypocrisy, whatsoever.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TooNoisy(f): 5:37pm On Jun 02, 2015
tearoses:

I dont see much of that in Nigeria. I may be wrong but the flavour of the Nigerian feminist seems to only be within relationships. However relationships are really built on the foundation of cultural and for those who have a religion, religious beleifs as well.

Another excellent posts. Our Nairaland feminists come here to attack faceless, nameless men, who are not their husbands and have done these women no wrong. It would be better if the feminists went to the rural areas to speak to and educate women. Instead of them to contribute to NGOs like Nigeria Women's Trust Fund, they come here and attack faceless men.

Nigeria has alot of intelligent women at all levels who are not shouting feminism up and down. Over one third of the ministers in the last cabinet were women and the most powerful three were women, so what is the real issues. The real victims leave in the villages and not in big cities, neither are they the most vocal on the internet. These internet warriors are just a joke.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by cococandy(f): 5:37pm On Jun 02, 2015
While I was growing up, I used to hear phrases like "ugwu nwanyi bu di ya"
Loosely translates to "a woman is not worthy of respect except she has a man in her life:husband"

As young as I was, I didn't need anyone to tell me how wrong those teachings were. Little little things that subtly encouraged women to believe they were worth nothing except with the approval of a man.

If it takes having to endure one jab or the other here and there to help promote the idea that as woman your life shouldn't be what it is dictated to you as or that your worth as a human being isn't tied to a man, then so be it.

I'm so unapologetic about my support for feminism. Very very so.
The useless guilt trips won't work as long as the discrimination still exists.

I'll try not act amused when folks coin new words like womanism abi na womanitarianism or equity (and all those other euphemisms) to try to get away from associating directly with the feminist core because of the bad rap,

It is what it is.
It is feminism. It is about gender equality.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TooNoisy(f): 5:43pm On Jun 02, 2015
cococandy:
While I was growing up, I used to hear phrases like "ugwu nwanyi bu di ya"
Loosely translates to "a woman is not worthy of respect except she has a man in her life:husband"

As young as I was, I didn't need anyone to tell me how wrong those teaching were. Little little things that subtly encouraged women to believe they were worst nothing except with the approval of a man.

If it takes having to endure one jab or the other there to help promote the idea that as woman your life shouldn't be what it is dictated to you as or that your worth as a human being isn't tied to a man, then so be it.

I'm so unapologetic about my support for feminism. Very very so.
The useless guilt trips won't work as long as the discrimination still exists.

Why dont you go back to your village and educate your people that they are talking trash. It's more useful than attacking innocent men here. Don't you think you should go to educate your siblings and cousins in the village? Secondly, why not be the example they can all follow - may be you should not get married or if you are married, you should divorce your husband so that you can prove the saying wrong.

You feminists should focus on the big issues affecting those uneducated women in villages.

13 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by NifemiOlu(m): 5:45pm On Jun 02, 2015
Hmm, cool points.
If a woman decides to stay single, who are those that will bash her more, men or women? A woman some days ago took her destiny into her hands by marrying Oshiomole, who were those thrashing her online?
My post is clear enough for those who read between the lines. The type of foreign feminism is not practicable in Nigeria as cultural orientation is more of the problem than men subduing women. As usual with Nigerian feminists, they hardly read between the lines just like gay people. They feel everyone is against them.
Men are not the only custodians of suppressive culture. Abi, who teaches her daughter how to please a man no matter what? Who are those who mutilate genitals?
I'm saying for feminism to thrive in Nigeria, there should be a massive cultural reorientation. That is more of a solution. After that, broad scale feminism would thrive. Or do lumbering men cut trees front the top?
#readingModeNext
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Stillfire: 5:46pm On Jun 02, 2015
TooNoisy:

One of the most intelligent posts I have read here. One of the biggest lies of Nigerian feminists is that you can be an independent woman in marriage. Wrong!. Whoever gets married gives up independence and embraces [b]INTERDEPENDENCE - both man and woman. Marriage itself involves sharing your life with someone else, hence giving up the complete independence when you were single. Marriage is interdependence and not independence.
[/b]
I just wonder why it is so easy to confuse black people. How can you be married and be independent?

Your second point is the bigger joke. Our feminists want chivalry but would claim absolute equality with men. I haven't seen our Nairaland feminists joining politics, civil rights, caring for women who really deserve attention in the rural areas. All they do is come here to bitch about their horrible marriages and try to deceive the gullible.

Let us not feign ignorance here for the love of God. The Nigerian society does not recognize this fallacy of interdependence you talk about. In fact when a woman is married she forfeits her independence to the dictates of her husband and this is NOT culturally, religiously required of the man to reciprocate his independence to the dictates of his wife.

Chivalry is NOT even an African construct. Where we come from women serve men. Men do not pick up our baggage, hold doors. That is an European construct. Chivalry was for gentlemen, and according to Fela the quintessential african, he is not a gentleman, he is an original african. Which bloody nigerian feminist is interested in chivalry that was never our culture?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Proudly Shows Off His 2 Wives (pics/video) / FathersDay: Woman Buys Rolls-Royce For Husband / My 85-Year-Old Dad Is Cheating On My Mom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.