Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,124 members, 7,814,940 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 (1081 Views)

This Futuristic ATM Means You’ll Never Have To Go Into A Bank Again / How To Restore Iphone After Upgrading To Ios 7 / No Waiting, Upgrade To Windows 10 Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by hopeforcharles(m): 11:18am On Jun 03, 2015
Microsoft announced today that it will be launching Windows 10 on July 29th, encouraging Windows 7 and 8.1 users to reserve their free upgrade with a notification in their task bar. However, while the company has been busy highlighting all the shiny new featuresin the upcoming OS, it's been a bit quieter when it comes to spelling out the limitations—
including making updates automatic for Windows 10 Home users.
Say goodbye to hearts and desktop gadgets
Firstly there are the software losses.
Most of these will only affect a small number of users, but upgrading will mean saying goodbye to Windows Media Center, the card game Hearts, and Windows 7's desktop gadgets.
Anyone in the habit of using floppy disks on Windows will also have to install new drivers, and Microsoft warns that watching DVDs will also require "separate playback software." Microsoft manager Gabriel Aul has said on Twitter that a DVD option for Windows 10 is coming " later this year," but early upgraders can always download VLC instead.
In addition to the software losses, there are also a number of limitations for some of Windows 10's most exciting features. Cortana will only be available in the US, UK, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain at launch, while Windows Hello (which offers support for various biometric passwords) will need an infrared camera for facial recognition, or a supported fingerprint reader. The Xbox Music and Xbox Video streaming apps will also be constrained by the usual, complex web of region-based licenses.
More annoyingly, perhaps, Microsoft has also changed how updates will work with Windows 10. Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available. System requirements for the new OS have also been detailed, with PCs and tablets needing to pass a fairly low bar: a 1GHz processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a display resolution of at least 1,024 x 600 are required. These specs are a bit higher for the 64-bit version of Windows 10 but for these details and more, you can check out Microsoft's full specs page
google is your friend
oilinvestmentz..com

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by Nobody: 11:29am On Jun 03, 2015
I think I'll prefer Windows 8 to the new Windows 10 following its basic limitations
Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by henribj(m): 11:43am On Jun 03, 2015
thank you OP for sharing this. Me am more comfortable with the windows 7, maybe because I have not really tried using a windows 8.
Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by hopeforcharles(m): 11:45am On Jun 03, 2015
Opluses:
I think I'll prefer Windows 8 to the new Windows 10 following its basic limitations
That was my thought exactly. If ever i will update i will not use the home version, it seems them microsoft think every where people has free data bundle or what, and they are making update automatic.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by hopeforcharles(m): 11:50am On Jun 03, 2015
henribj:
thank you OP for sharing this. Me am more comfortable with the windows 7, maybe because I have not really tried using a windows 8.
i love windows 7, just that i brought a new laptop with windows 8.1 and i dont want to downgrade. I have not seen Windows 10 but i still feels windows 7 is the Ultimate.
Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by henribj(m): 11:58am On Jun 03, 2015
hopeforcharles:

i love windows 7, just that i brought a new laptop with windows 8.1 and i dont want to downgrade. I have not seen Windows 10 but i still feels windows 7 is the Ultimate.

haven't really used windows 8 that much, but the only reason why I have interest in it is the fact that almost 90% of people are not used to it and therefore can not find there way around it which guarantees to some extent that my files and docs can stay hidden just where I want it.
I also have noticed that windows is gradually trying to phase out windows 7 OS, I was on the HP website some days back to look at their laptops and I noticed that the few available windows 7 OS systems are more expensive than the windows 8 OS with the same functionalities.
Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by henribj(m): 12:00pm On Jun 03, 2015
hopeforcharles:

That was my thought exactly. If ever i will update i will not use the home version, it seems them microsoft think every where people has free data bundle or what, and they are making update automatic.

same here, they just automatically assume we Africans have unlimited MB access to the internet. I think it is high time someone brokers a deal with Microsoft to produce systems that can function well or are strictly in line for the Nigerian market.
Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by hopeforcharles(m): 12:56pm On Jun 03, 2015
henribj:

haven't really used windows 8 that much, but the only reason why I have interest in it is the fact that almost 90% of people are not used to it and therefore can not find there way around it which guarantees to some extent that my files and docs can stay hidden just where I want it.
I also have noticed that windows is gradually trying to phase out windows 7 OS, I was on the HP website some days back to look at their laptops and I noticed that the few available windows 7 OS systems are more expensive than the windows 8 OS with the same functionalities.
That people dont know their way around window 8 i think its a lie, windows 8 is easy. Its just the tiles that makes it seems hard. What ever u want to find in it just use search or type directly on the home page tiles and u get what u want.
Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by hopeforcharles(m): 1:00pm On Jun 03, 2015
henribj:

same here, they just automatically assume we Africans have unlimited MB access to the internet. I think it is high time someone brokers a deal with Microsoft to produce systems that can function well or are strictly in line for the Nigerian market.
You have a point. Some data consuming device should be costom made for some region esp Nigeria where we have Sitting duck NCC that cant identify the need of a comon man in the area of calls and data.
Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by henribj(m): 1:38pm On Jun 03, 2015
hopeforcharles:

You have a point. Some data consuming device should be costom made for some region esp Nigeria where we have Sitting duck NCC that cant identify the need of a comon man in the area of calls and data.

hahahaha, all those NCC peeps are lazy due to the so much bribes they have gotten frm telecom companies. meanwhile I have just been reading the reviews on the yet to be released Windows OS 10, and mehn make I no lie, I am tempted to go for it.
Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by henribj(m): 1:39pm On Jun 03, 2015
hopeforcharles:

That people dont know their way around window 8 i think its a lie, windows 8 is easy. Its just the tiles that makes it seems hard. What ever u want to find in it just use search or type directly on the home page tiles and u get what u want.

Is it not if they know exactly what they are looking for? All I need do is change the name of the file and voila, if you like search from now till eternity you no go see anything.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by hopeforcharles(m): 6:06pm On Jun 03, 2015
henribj:

hahahaha, all those NCC peeps are lazy due to the so much bribes they have gotten frm telecom companies. meanwhile I have just been reading the reviews on the yet to be released Windows OS 10, and mehn make I no lie, I am tempted to go for it.
Well they Microsoft will want it to be very nice and give them the competitive edge they so much needed. Even if I am updating I would not go for home version.
Re: Microsoft Explains What You’ll Lose By Upgrading To Windows 10 by henribj(m): 9:04pm On Jun 03, 2015
hopeforcharles:

Well they Microsoft will want it to be very nice and give them the competitive edge they so much needed. Even if I am updating I would not go for home version.

yeah according to what I read home version na compulsory update e go dey give you. although me no dey reason update, I dey reason to buy brand new lappy with OS 10 already installed. my current lappy wey I dey use dey get issues ever since I tried uploading it then when OS 8 came out, it crashed my lappy and after formatting it and all my OS 7 lappy has never been the same, so anything upgrade my hand no dey. na to begin save money to buy str8 from factory, besides that July na far thing o.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Passenger Rescue Drone Airborne 'by 2020' / Nigerian Man Converts Motorcycle Into High Heel Shoe That Can Be Moved (photo) / Application To The 2017/2018 AUST Academic Session For M.sc./phd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.