Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch (707 Views)

Jibrin: When Osinbajo Gives Order, People Run To London To Get Buhari's Opinion / Jibrin Withdraws Suit Against House Of Reps / Gbajabiamila Betrayed As Loyalists Dump Him For Dogara - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch by HzRF(m): 7:30pm On Jun 03, 2015
Chairman, House Committee on Finance, Mr. Abdulmumin Jibrin, ‎on Wednesday withdrew from the contest for the Speakership of the 8th House of Representatives.
In doing so, Jibrin, a member of the All Progressives Congress from Kano State, said he had declared support for another contestant, Mr. Yakubu Dogara.
Dogara, who is the Chairman, Committee on House Services, is also a member of the APC and hails from Bauchi State‎.
Dogara and current House Minority Leader, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, have lately become the front line contenders for the number four job in a race that started with about eight aspirants.
Jibrin’s decision on Wednesday followed a similar move by four other contestants, who had since stepped down to back Gbajabiamila.‎
Chairman, House Committee on Agriculture, Mr. Mohammed Monguno; Deputy Chairman, House Committee on Constituency Outreach, Mr. Pally Iriase; Mr.‎ Goni Bukar; and Mr. Yusuf Lasun were all contestants, who had stepped down to support Gbajabiamila.
The election is to hold on June 9.‎
Giving reasons why he stepped down, Jibrin claimed that he wanted to diffuse the tension ‎the electioneering had created among members and build a stable House to support President Muhammadu Buhari.
He added that he consulted widely with his supporters before taking the decision.
Incidentally, Jibrin, a few days back, attempted to form an alliance with Gbajabiamila so that he (Jibrin) could run as his deputy.
The alliance never took off, owing to alleged differences between him and Gbajabiamila.
But on Wednesday, Jibrin showered Dogara with praises, describing him as the honest, trustworthy, straightforward and disciplined contestant.
He spoke more, “In the last few weeks I had consulted widely with my supporters and colleagues.
“In order to diffuse the prevailing tension, unite the House and ensure a smooth take-off of the Buhari administration, I hereby withdraw from the race for the Speakership of the 8th House of Representatives and consequently throw my weight behind the candidature of Dogara, one of our senior colleagues, a man of integrity, an astute legislator and an amiable gentle man.”
However, the Gbajabimaila Speakership Secretariat said it was confident of victory and not bothered by the action of Jibrin.
The secretariat called on Jibrin to mention the supporters that he claimed to have

http://www.punchng.com/news/speakership-jibrin-withdraws-from-race-backs-dogara/

Cc lalatisclala
Re: Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jun 03, 2015
Make I see as how dem go take chop tinubu "opolo" eyes
Lol
Bad investment(Buhari)
I want d north to take both d senate presidency and speaker
Re: Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch by Elslim: 7:35pm On Jun 03, 2015
ok ooo
Re: Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch by akins56(m): 7:47pm On Jun 03, 2015
As if he had any hope of clinching the seat, over 80% of NW reps are behind femi.

1 Like

Re: Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch by StepTwo: 7:55pm On Jun 03, 2015
Tinubu
Re: Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch by philGeo(m): 9:52pm On Jun 03, 2015
You must make it in life, i know Jibrin in P.D.P secretary back then, a good guy.
Re: Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch by ichidodo: 9:58pm On Jun 03, 2015
Just divide APC votes let the the PDP votes decide the speakership....
Re: Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch by kennydee05(m): 10:16pm On Jun 03, 2015
For competency and experience I vote Femi Gnajabiamila.
Re: Speakership: Jibrin Withdraws, Backs Dogara-punch by Dannyset(m): 10:20pm On Jun 03, 2015
Femi Gbajabiamila gets it.

(1) (Reply)

IMSU VC Saga – What You Need To Know / Buhari To Fight Graft With 5 Special Laws / Tony O Elumelu Of @ubagroup Pulls Dangerous Strings To Kick Out Ikpobe.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.