Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,453 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

BMI and Overweight!!! - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / BMI and Overweight!!! (2246 Views)

Graphics: The Effect Of Obesity And Overweight On The Body. / How To Determine Your Body Mass Index (BMI) And Its Implication / Statistics Of Obesity And Overweight People In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by kinglekan: 10:05am On Jun 05, 2015
francizy:

Lol! Sleep for gym? No way! I no wan become bouncer! undecided

Ssssshhh!!! U don hear wetin doctor talk? She saý u nid more aeroplane exercise. U don enta plane b4?

4 where!! Who dash monkey banana. cheesy cheesy
Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by francizy(m): 10:09am On Jun 05, 2015
kinglekan:

Ssssshhh!!! U don hear wetin doctor talk? She saý u nid more aeroplane exercise. U don enta plane b4?

4 where!! Who dash monkey banana. cheesy cheesy

I never enter car nor boat self.. cool

Am allergic to height, speed and water... cheesy
Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by Truckpusher(m): 10:16am On Jun 05, 2015
francizy:
I'd like the doctors on this forum to explain somethings to me. I noticed my weight had increased from the usual 90kg (what I weighed in about 8-10 years) to 95Kg within some months. This made me calculate my BMI and the result was 26.2 which indicated that i was/am overweight. Now for a slim guy, I find it quite fascinating that I'd be classified as overweight.

Although I reduced my food intake and started some indoor exercises which saw my weight drop to 92.5kg (still overweight), I really need to understand why I am classified overweight just like some other fat person may be classified. Also what is the health implication of being overweight?

Cc Kingtom.
Obesity loadin............. grin grin grin
Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by kinglekan: 10:17am On Jun 05, 2015
francizy:

I never enter car nor boat self.. cool
Am allergic to height, speed and water... cheesy
cheesy cheesy
Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by francizy(m): 10:22am On Jun 05, 2015
Truckpusher:
Obesity loadin............. grin grin grin

Lol, God forbid!!!
Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by RuthlessAnalyst: 10:51am On Jun 05, 2015
francizy:
I'd like the doctors on this forum to explain somethings to me. I noticed my weight had increased from the usual 90kg (what I weighed in about 8-10 years) to 95Kg within some months. This made me calculate my BMI and the result was 26.2 which indicated that i was/am overweight. Now for a slim guy, I find it quite fascinating that I'd be classified as overweight.

Although I reduced my food intake and started some indoor exercises which saw my weight drop to 92.5kg (still overweight), I really need to understand why I am classified overweight just like some other fat person may be classified. Also what is the health implication of being overweight?

Cc Kingtom.

BMI alone is not the only parameter use for measuring Obesity
One of its disadvantage is that it can interpret people with heavy muscle mass as Obese.
other Parameter you can use include: Abdominal circumference, waist hip ratio or your Lipid indices.
Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by francizy(m): 11:07am On Jun 05, 2015
RuthlessAnalyst:

BMI alone is not the only parameter use for measuring Obesity
One of its disadvantage is that it can interpret people with heavy muscle mass as Obese.
other Parameter you can use include: Abdominal circumference, waist hip ratio or your Lipid indices.

Hmmm, am learning new stuff.
So does this mean that am within normal weight for someone of my size?
Because am not even fat and I don't have a pot belly.
Sorry, please do expound on the waist-hip ratio.
I've not yet done a lipid profile test before now though.
Thanks loads!
Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by RuthlessAnalyst: 11:23am On Jun 05, 2015
francizy:

Hmmm, am learning new stuff.
So does this mean that am within normal weight for someone of my size?
Because am not even fat and I don't have a pot belly.
Sorry, please do expound on the waist-hip ratio.
I've not yet done a lipid profile test before now though.
Thanks loads!

It's very possible that you're within normal range
As i said earlier one of the Demerits of BMI is that it cannot be use to define obesity in people with heavy muscle mass like Body Builders, thus other parameter is needed to interpret their weight

Waist-Hip ratio, WHR is the Ratio of the circumference of the waist and Hip
Usually should be <0.85 in Men. > 0.95 signifies an increase risk for cardiovascular complication.
Ratio of >0.95 is usually seen in Abdominal Obesity which is very commonly associated with the Cardiovascular risk mentioned above

Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by francizy(m): 11:31am On Jun 05, 2015
RuthlessAnalyst:

It's very possible that you're within normal range
As i said earlier one of the Demerits of BMI is that it cannot be use to define obesity in people with heavy muscle mass like Body Builders, thus other parameter is needed to interpret their weight

Waist-Hip ratio, WHR is the Ratio of the circumference of the waist and Hip
Usually should be <0.85 in Men. > 0.95 signifies an increase risk for cardiovascular complication.
Ratio of >0.95 is usually seen in Abdominal Obesity which is very commonly associated with the Cardiovascular risk mentioned above

OK, I will carry out that measurement later. But from my observation, I think I should belong to the <0.85 group.

Thanks once again. smiley

1 Like

Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by RuthlessAnalyst: 11:41am On Jun 05, 2015
francizy:

OK, I will carry out that measurement later. But from my observation, I think I should belong to the <0.85 group.

Thanks once again. smiley

You can also use your waist circumference to define Obesity: normal waist circumference for Men should be <102 cm (Though some centers put their reference range at 100 cm).

I advice you combine your BMI, WHR, WC and your Lipid indices in defining your Risk for Obesity. Also take note of Your Built
Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by francizy(m): 11:43am On Jun 05, 2015
RuthlessAnalyst:

You can also use your waist circumference to define Obesity: normal waist circumference for Men should be <102 cm (Though some centers put their reference range as 100cm).

I advice you combine your BMI, WHR, WC and your Lipid indices in defining your Risk for Obesity. Also take note of Your Built

Alright sir!

Thanks once more..

1 Like

Re: BMI and Overweight!!! by aiykay007(m): 8:19am On Jan 28, 2016
It might be you have a heavy bone mass .... Or hidden adiposes

But i will suggest you start a weight loss program and watch amount of calories intake.... Esp from carbs.....take more fruits and a lot ofwater..... cut down on flour product........ And so on

(1) (2) (Reply)

To Join Ogboni Confraternity Contact This Number (0703434444) / The Ultimate Natural Cure For Varicocele,Low Sperm Count &Azoospermia In Nigeria / Trending: We Were Forced To Create The Hiv Virus As A Secret Weapon To Wipe Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.