Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,336 members, 7,819,173 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC (18591 Views)

Ahmed Musa Considering Legal Action Over Reports He Beat Up Wife / Paul Pogba And Thierry Henry Dab (Photos) / Fifa ‘paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by kunledegreat(m): 7:15am On Jun 05, 2015
Fifa paid the Football Association of Ireland 5m euros (£3.6m) to stop legal action after France controversially beat Ireland in a World Cup play-off.

FAI chief executive John Delaney said he had believed they had a case against Fifa after French striker Thierry Henry's handball in the 2009 match.

Delaney said a "legitimate agreement" was made to drop the claim after Ireland missed the 2010 World Cup.
Fifa president Sepp Blatter is quitting with the organisation in crisis.

Delaney's comments come after a turbulent nine days for football's world governing body amid claims of "systemic and deep-rooted" corruption.
Fifa is facing two criminal investigations by both the US for widespread bribery allegations and Swiss authorities over the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding processes.

A Fifa spokesman confirmed it had "entered into an agreement with FAI in order to put an end to any claims" against it.
But the organisation said the payment was a $5m (£3.26m) loan and was granted for "the construction of a stadium in Ireland".

The spokesman added that the FAI was to repay the money if Ireland qualified for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, which they failed to do. Fifa wrote off the loan on 31 December 2014.

On Thursday, the FAI said the settlement was made without any conditions and was reached "following strong legal advice", with the money going towards the new Aviva Stadium - opened in May 2010 after the old Landsdowne Road ground was redeveloped.

In a statement, the FAI said: "This is fully reflected in our financial statements, which are audited independently. The FAI accepted Fifa's settlement offer to avoid a long, costly and protracted legal case.

"The settlement has at no time influenced the FAI's criticism of Fifa, as demonstrated by our consistent criticisms of Sepp Blatter."

The Republic of Ireland were 16 minutes away from a penalty shootout for a place in the 2010 finals in South Africa when Henry handled in the build-up to William Gallas's extra-time equaliser in the second leg of the play-off in Paris.
The 2-1 aggregate win sent France to the tournament, where they were knocked out of the group stages amid a player strike.

Delaney said he and Blatter "came to an agreement" after the Fifa president publicly dismissed the country's appeal to be made a "33rd team" at the tournament.

"We felt we had a legal case against Fifa because of how the World Cup play-off hadn't worked out for us with the Henry handball," he said in a radio interview with Ireland's national broadcaster RTÉ.

"Also the way Blatter behaved, if you remember on stage, having a snigger and having a laugh at us.
"I told him how I felt about him, there were some expletives used. We came to an agreement.
"It's a very good agreement for the FAI and a very legitimate agreement for the FAI," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33011692

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by seankafor(m): 7:18am On Jun 05, 2015
hohohahahah i keep on loving this. I only think it is only in nigeria these things happens. Waiting for more heads to roll heheheheheheheheh i think fifa is the most corrupt organisation in the world.

Lalasticlala.. Pls do what u re paid for..

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by laurel03(m): 7:21am On Jun 05, 2015
Fifa.... Self worst past 9ja govt

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by femiranking28(m): 7:42am On Jun 05, 2015
I never knew FIFA was this kwarupt kai.. more discoveries coming soon

3 Likes

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by hopeforcharles(m): 8:07am On Jun 05, 2015
seankafor:
hohohahahah i keep on loving this.
I only think it is only in nigeria these things happens.
Waiting for more heads to roll
heheheheheheheheh
i think fifa is the most corrupt organisation in the world.

Those pretenders, they are worst than Nigeria, when they were our age they were super corrupt than us. More heads rolling in few days or weeks to come

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by seankafor(m): 8:58am On Jun 05, 2015
hopeforcharles:

Those pretenders, they are worst than Nigeria, when they were our age they were super corrupt than us. More heads rolling in few days or weeks to come
thats how they roll

4 Likes

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Segadem(m): 9:09am On Jun 05, 2015
seankafor:
hohohahahah i keep on loving this.
I only think it is only in nigeria these things happens.
Waiting for more heads to roll
heheheheheheheheh
i think fifa is the most corrupt organisation in the world.

important news like dis in sport section will not make front page,but let it be Toto Dike buys new pants in Aba market even b4 the op drop his pen it's already in FP.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 05, 2015
hian!! Fifa is in serious kasala o! All dese allegations.......
Greg dyke & co. Gon be like....

2 Likes

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by nifton(m): 10:17am On Jun 05, 2015
Even tho i expressly abhor corruption,i think there is conspiracy against Blatter coming from Europe especially.Ireland choped and cleaned mouth only to come out now and yarn dust.

3 Likes

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by denyman: 10:24am On Jun 05, 2015
to me the action should be against referee not henry
[img]http://3.bp..com/-Nb1g_agxnp0/VXF-EBRjJNI/AAAAAAAACcM/D4PAmbtnAzk/s1600/sount.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by thefakestan: 10:24am On Jun 05, 2015
Na wah this scandal is deep. sad shocked
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by ebamma(m): 10:25am On Jun 05, 2015
Ireland going to court wouldn't stop France from going to the world Cup,
As far as the referee had already ruled it a goal on the field of play, even fifa can do nothing about it,
I don't believe this story
And another thing people are not really getting is, that this witch hunt of Fifa by the Fbi is the continuation of America 's proxy war with Russia, Cos the want Russia stripped of it 2018 hosting rights

15 Likes

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Fadelex(m): 10:25am On Jun 05, 2015
and they shamelessly collect the settlement. how are they better than fifa? all these people shouting are just pained because blatter shut them out. Blatter is still better than most of them.

3 Likes

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Codyt(m): 10:25am On Jun 05, 2015
More secrets will continually be reveled.
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 05, 2015
USA was right

USA is always right

2 Likes

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Segadem(m): 10:26am On Jun 05, 2015
after how many years? when they know that their yansh is open

2 Likes

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Segadem(m): 10:26am On Jun 05, 2015
denyman:
to me the action should be against referee not henry
yeah
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by richidinho(m): 10:26am On Jun 05, 2015
I tot the whites r not kwarrapt
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 05, 2015
Ok

- PDP has gone down grin
- FIFA is going down too shocked

3 Likes

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by fredoooooo: 10:27am On Jun 05, 2015
Mukina2 come and see your cheat legend o grin grin grin grin
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by morereb10: 10:27am On Jun 05, 2015
hmmmm fifa infact was setup to be a corrupt organization. how can an organization be setup with autonomous power? nobody checks them.

1 Like

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by dammieco(m): 10:27am On Jun 05, 2015
#FIFA pays and receives bribe. I have known this since a very long time ago. Blatter's resignation will leave a lot of crisis...stay calm and watch, more #FIFA bribery news is coming ur way!
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by 5p1naz(m): 10:28am On Jun 05, 2015
So PMB enter, even fifa dey shake lol

1 Like

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by ganja06(m): 10:28am On Jun 05, 2015
FIFA stinks
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 05, 2015
Fifa is easily the most corrupt institution in the world.

2 Likes

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by johnemeka(m): 10:28am On Jun 05, 2015
Ok...
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Idrismusty97(m): 10:28am On Jun 05, 2015
Buhari come see Kwaruption o!
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Segadem(m): 10:28am On Jun 05, 2015
Codyt:
More secrets will continually be reveled.
rush hour

sign to be @ fp
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by echobee(f): 10:28am On Jun 05, 2015
fredoooooo:
Mukina2 come and see your cheat legend o grin grin grin grin
close your mouth angry angry
Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by obiobigbo1: 10:29am On Jun 05, 2015
The fact remains that referees being the mouth of a match aren't perfect... Leave fifa out of this because they are trying to let peace hold

1 Like

Re: Fifa Paid Ireland To Stop Legal Action Over Henry’s World Cup Handball - BBC by Pavore9: 10:29am On Jun 05, 2015
The worms are now crawling out!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All African Games 2019: Flying Eagles Face Hosts In Race For Gold Medal / 1998 Super Eagles Vs Ex-enyimba Players This Weekend In Aba / FG Forecloses Involvement In Bash Ali’s Novelty Bout

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.