Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,364 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Is It Right To Write Your Signature Upside Down In Financial Related Entries? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is It Right To Write Your Signature Upside Down In Financial Related Entries? (3016 Views)

Some Tips To Help Minimize Business Related Scams / How To Write A Business Plan / Are You Interested In Financial And Business Intelligence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is It Right To Write Your Signature Upside Down In Financial Related Entries? by Nemeziz9ja: 5:17pm On Feb 18, 2009
Indeed, some things are thriving upside down in Nigeria. NEPA I mean PHCN for example.
I was at the regional office of the power holders this morning to pay a bill and after concluding the transaction, I took my copy of the bill for entry into their ledger. The lady at the desk collected the bill and entered the details with the ledger facing her and afterwards instructed me to sign in the signature column. As I turned the ledger around to enter my signature, she shouted "sign like that", I was like, you mean I should sign "upside down", she said yes, thats how we do it because it won't be convenient for her if I have to turn it around. I told her, if I have sign upside down, then, thats not my signature.
She said thats how its done, even in banks. Well, I will rather not validate that information on the ledger than sign "upside" down.
I have not been unfortunate to do that at any bank yet, but do we not realize the legal ramifications of these simple acts? signature upside down? God forbid litigation and they have to take the entry as an exhibit. The name will be upright, while the signature will be upside down, and when the signature is right, the name will be upside down.
Total madness.
Re: Is It Right To Write Your Signature Upside Down In Financial Related Entries? by Sobrit(m): 11:25am On Jan 07, 2013
i think we may need some legal clarification if there are other implications to this. For me, i know i have done that umpteemth times in banks and dont see anything too awkward about it. If it's to be tendered in court, it will still be explainable and or understandable.

(1) (Reply)

Will Customs Seize My Imported Laptops? / In What Good Business Can I Invest 1.5 Million Naira? / How To Become An E-currency Exchanger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.