Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,255 members, 7,811,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:49 PM

The Man Who Walked To The Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Man Who Walked To The Final (561 Views)

Nigerians Blast Ghanaian Man Who Said Anthony Joshua Is From Ghana / Nigerian Man Who Lives In UK Writes After Watching Nigeria Vs Senegal Match / Chichi Igbo Exposes Man Who Sent Her Semi-nude Pic, Says "Ladies, Hold Your Men" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Man Who Walked To The Final by driand(m): 6:14am On Jun 06, 2015
UEFA Champions League
Friday, June 5, 2015 7:06 Pm
[img]http://imgcdn3.newsrep.net/i.img?u=http%3a%2f%2fnewsrepmedia.blob.core.windows.net%2fimage%2f2015-06%2f42879235_00_d-600x400_f-1_c-316x196.jpg&w=560[/img]

"Once I got to Berlin, the pain disappeared," Nicolò De Marchi told UEFA.com after the 22-year-old proved his devotion to Juventus by walking most of the way from Turin to Berlin for the final.

De Marchi arrived in Berlin on Friday at the end of a nine-day trek in which he travelled over 900km – mostly on foot, with some stretches by bike, and a particularly perilous 12km stretch in which he was permitted to get a lift in a car.

"Everything stems from a tweet by Juventus in which they asked supporters what we'd be willing to do if Juve made it to the final," De Marchi told UEFA.com. "I said I would walk to Berlin if we managed to qualify. That's what happened. I was contacted and offered a chance to have a ticket for the final, which was my dream. Juventus said to me: 'Since there's not much time, and it's a long way to walk, we'll give you a bike too.' I accepted without hesitation."

De Marchi was due to reach the Olympiastadion on Thursday but took an extra day because of fatigue. "All things considered, my feet are fine – the problem is my legs," he said. "My calves have suffered so much in recent days, but once I got to Berlin the pain disappeared. I'm so happy to be here and to have made it.

"The physical effort, which was huge, had been building day by day. I was in pain in the evening, then in the afternoon too. One day towards the end, I got up and my legs barely responded to what I wanted. It was so tough. I don't know how I managed to find the strength. I think it was thanks to the strength of the people, my family and friends who have always supported me."

It has been a painful but fulfilling journey. "The best moments of the trip include when I set off, leaving from the stadium and seeing it empty," he said. "That was beautiful. Receiving day-to-day support from people was very moving. That made me stronger. Also the fact it became more and more difficult with each passing day and I kept saying to myself: 'It's OK, I'm getting there.'

"The worst moment was whenever there was a steep ascent when I was walking or on the bike. I would go round a bend, look and say: 'Oh no, another steep bit,' which meant another huge effort for my legs. It was tough but I always managed it. I carried on calling on my last remaining energy reserves. And now I'm here."

Look who's arrived! Juventus fan Nicolo De Marchi has walked more than 1000km from Turin to Berlin to suppo... https:///RXE2l1Metq

Source: http://blink.htcsense.com/web/articleweb.aspx?regionid=4&articleid=42879235

Cc lalasticlala
Re: The Man Who Walked To The Final by Nobody: 6:19am On Jun 06, 2015
true die hard Juventus and football fan.
Re: The Man Who Walked To The Final by DeHero1: 6:40am On Jun 06, 2015
So people are now walking everywhere. They should prepare for fuel scarcity too. grin
Re: The Man Who Walked To The Final by Youngsage: 7:03am On Jun 06, 2015
Re: The Man Who Walked To The Final by coolebux(m): 7:14am On Jun 06, 2015
Tell the dude we've been trekking over here since pre-Buhari even till post-Buhari inauguration gringringringrin

we de trek to and fro but this guy fit take flight back to Turin

I'm not marvelled at all.

(1) (Reply)

'man Utd Need A Superstar... But It Won't Be Ronaldo' - Van Gaal / All The Fun You Missed At At Celebrity Fans Challenge 2015 / Vincent Kompany To Return For Manchester City Against Spurs Said Maneul Pellegri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.