Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,292 members, 7,829,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 (671 Views)

How Buhari Can Achieve N1 To $1 / 1 Dollar = 1 Naira: Buhari Approves An Exchange Rate Of N160 To $1 / To Reverse Downward Slide Of Economy, Shun Jonathan, Buhari Tells Electorate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 by comfort3: 5:56pm On Feb 18, 2009
Naira downward slide continues , now N159 to $1
From ISAAC ANUMIHE, Abuja
Wednesday, February 18, 2009

For two months, the naira has continued to dwindle to the effect that it has lost 20 per cent of its value against the dollar thus falling to N159 to the dollar on the black market, its lowest level in several years.

More Stories on This Section

advertisement

According to agency report, the naira's decline has been brought about by falling world oil prices, which are eating into foreign earnings in Africa's top oil producer and clouding its economic outlook.

CBN Governor, Professor Chukwuma Soludo, has said the currency controls could remain in place for weeks or months and that they are meant to help sub-Saharan Africa's second-biggest economy cope better with the global financial crisis.

The apex bank at its bi-weekly forex auction sold $206 million at 145.90 to the dollar but failed to meet demand, forcing the local currency lower on the parallel black market.

However, the amount sold by the apex bank was short of the $385 million demanded at the auction. At its previous auction last Wednesday, the regulator also failed to meet demand, selling $326 million at N145.50 to the dollar.

The Central Bank has forbidden commercial banks from reselling forex bought at its auction or any other sources on the interbank market, making the black market the only alternative source for U.S. dollars.

CBN, during the last MPC meeting, had decided to directly control the exchange rate within a band of plus or minus three per cent which makes the CBN buying and selling rate to be one per cent, while that of the banks’ and Bureau De Change will not be more than one per cent and two per cent respectively.
Re: Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 by Kobojunkie: 6:01pm On Feb 18, 2009
woohoo!!!
Re: Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 by Fhemmmy: 6:05pm On Feb 18, 2009
Trouble for Nija big time, a Nation that manufactures nothing, a consuming market, where salary hasnt gone up, dead body don get accident oh.
Re: Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 by asha80(m): 6:31pm On Feb 18, 2009
woohoo!!!

Kobo why now
Re: Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 by Kobojunkie: 6:32pm On Feb 18, 2009
asha 80:

Kobo why now

Why not?? My $1 = Naira 159 and you thnk I should not rejoice? Imagine how much extra meat that $1 go buy me for bucka? Abeg!!! Make I rejoice oo, roflmao!!
Re: Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 by asha80(m): 6:34pm On Feb 18, 2009
like the price of anything in that buka go remain the same. grin tongue
Re: Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 by Fhemmmy: 6:39pm On Feb 18, 2009
I just wonder when this madness will stop, or at least stabilize.
Re: Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 by Kobojunkie: 6:41pm On Feb 18, 2009
asha 80:

like the price of anything in that buka go remain the same. grin tongue

We go see now. With bukas in every corner of the city, to stay competitive, they have to maintain low price and that is a WOOHOO for me. grin
Re: Naira Downward Slide Continues : Now N159 To $1 by Nobody: 4:10am On Feb 19, 2009
This is no good news for me and other international biz men. cry cry tongue

(1) (Reply)

Senate Passes Harmonized Budget Of N3.102 Trillion / Why They Are Fighting In Bauchi…… / Yar Adua Is Ill - Cnn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.